My prescription for a turn around

rbstern

True, franchise QBs, the kind that can carry a team to a Superbowl, are 1) difficult to draft, and 2) difficult to guarantee development.

Less difficult:  Building a blue chip o-line and winning with an average to above average QB.  Witness Dallas this year.  Yes, Dak Prescott is exceeding draft expectations, but that Dallas o-line is awesome, perfect mix of young talent with a couple of vets, and the running game is outstanding.  And it was a mess just a year ago.  They fixed it and turned around the franchise (along with fielding a very good D) after a really bad 2015 season.

The Jets made Mark Sanchez look very serviceable for two years with a good o-line.  He regressed in year three when the o-line was a shambles and he was getting whacked every other play.

Next year's draft is a weak QB class.  The Jets have cap limitations.  Trade back and get excellent tackle, center and guard prospects.  No, it's not sexy, but you can reliably compete to win football games and give young QBs a better chance to develop.

We have way too many glaring needs to not stay put at pick 2-4 and draft an immediate impact player this team lacks identity,playmakers and talent.

No more bargaining we need to build a solid team with standout players no more retreads no more what if draft picks.

No more guys nobody else wanted that we think were overlooked and we found gold.

There's no OL worth our top 5 pick.  We could trade back but overall I've read it's a weak OL draft so I'd rather draft to the strength of the crop.  

As far as our top 5 pick, let's see how Trubisky rises.  Peppers seems he'll fall a bit.  I'd take Fournette or one of the OLB's and then draft OL the rest of the way out.

I know we're all sick of drafting CB's but I've read it's a strong class.

15 minutes ago, August said:

All I know is that there is no quick fix to turning this team around. We are long overdue for a proper rebuild. 

Not suggesting it will be a quick fix.  Enunwa is probably the best piece on the offense to consider for the future.  O-line is either old or journeyman.  Backfield is either old or journeyman.  Decker has two years left on his deal, and is coming off an injury.  Marshall has a year left on his deal.  Anderson and Peake have to take the next step in development, which isn't a guarantee.  TE cupboard is completely bare, at a time when TE has become the go-to weapon for many teams.  Lots of holes to fill.  The Jets have drafted a lot of D in recent years, and it's now coming home to roost on the offensive side of the ball.

Start with the o-line.  Just as a great pass rush makes everyone on defense better, so a great o-line makes everyone of offense better.

8 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Not suggesting it will be a quick fix.  Enunwa is probably the best piece on the offense to consider for the future.  O-line is either old or journeyman.  Backfield is either old or journeyman.  Decker has two years left on his deal, and is coming off an injury.  Marshall has a year left on his deal.  Anderson and Peake have to take the next step in development, which isn't a guarantee.  TE cupboard is completely bare, at a time when TE has become the go-to weapon for many teams.  Lots of holes to fill.  The Jets have drafted a lot of D in recent years, and it's now coming home to roost on the offensive side of the ball.

Start with the o-line.  Just as a great pass rush makes everyone on defense better, so a great o-line makes everyone of offense better.

LT is a problem for this team. Ijalana is better at RT. Winters is good, Carpenter is good and Mangold may have another year or two left in him. 

51 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We have way too many glaring needs to not stay put at pick 2-4 and draft an immediate impact player this team lacks identity,playmakers and talent.

No more bargaining we need to build a solid team with standout players no more retreads no more what if draft picks.

No more guys nobody else wanted that we think were overlooked and we found gold.

You don't have patience for a few bad games from our journeyman quarterback, you certainly don't have patience for a full rebuild. 

The Raiders haven't made the playoffs in 14 years. The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 22.  They are only now starting to turn the corner.   Teams like Buffalo and Miami never turned the corner after their dominant 90's.  You're ready for that?  Your posts don't indicate that at all.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

You don't have patience for a few bad games from our journeyman quarterback, you certainly don't have patience for a full rebuild. 

The Raiders haven't made the playoffs in 14 years. The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 22.  They are only now starting to turn the corner.   Teams like Buffalo and Miami never turned the corner after their dominant 90's.  You're ready for that?  Your posts don't indicate that at all.

SAR I

SAR I in 2009-2010 we made it to back to back AFC Championship games

In 2015 we won 10 games

We are the most inconsistent team in the NFL

We need stability and to field a competitive team and draft a lot better than we have.

We also need a QB until then nothing else matters.

The current formula isn't working 47 years tells that story.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been having bad games in the 12 years he's been in the NFL and they aren't just a few games he is who I knew he was.

Consistency,stabilty,accountability be competitive unlike now.

We have so many holes to patch, you take best available player and you probably also look to deal down.  Best available player also frankly includes DT, b/c Mo and Sheldon might not even be here in two years.

It's going to be a long rebuild.  Our franchise qb might not even be in the draft next year, but might be in the 2018 or 2019 draft class.

But yea, you have to look at the OL, b/c you can't win in this league without talent there.   We need to draft an elite pass rusher, we need a number 1 cb.  We need a number 1 wr (b/c Marshall/Decker are likely gone within the next two years), we need hbs, fbs, TEs, run stopping middle linebackers, a new safety corp.

etc etc

The team we have in 4 years might have like 3 players from this era.

Cutting overpriced veterans Breno.Skrine,Gilchrist restructuring others who if they refuse you cut them we have a lot of overpaid veterans Mangold,Harris,Revis too frees up cap space and you rebuild partly through free agency the right GM can make this team competitive again.

2 hours ago, rbstern said:

True, franchise QBs, the kind that can carry a team to a Superbowl, are 1) difficult to draft, and 2) difficult to guarantee development.

Less difficult:  Building a blue chip o-line and winning with an average to above average QB.  Witness Dallas this year.  Yes, Dak Prescott is exceeding draft expectations, but that Dallas o-line is awesome, perfect mix of young talent with a couple of vets, and the running game is outstanding.  And it was a mess just a year ago.  They fixed it and turned around the franchise (along with fielding a very good D) after a really bad 2015 season.

The Jets made Mark Sanchez look very serviceable for two years with a good o-line.  He regressed in year three when the o-line was a shambles and he was getting whacked every other play.

Next year's draft is a weak QB class.  The Jets have cap limitations.  Trade back and get excellent tackle, center and guard prospects.  No, it's not sexy, but you can reliably compete to win football games and give young QBs a better chance to develop.

It is kind of what Jerry Jones does. Always has a top OLine and he got "lucky" a few times with the QB. I know luck is the residue of design. But they seem to go OLine heavy and work it from there.

I like a lot of the kids on the OLine and I think there is potential there.

But then I think of a 3rd and 2. Game on the line. And running the ball scares me.

7 hours ago, rbstern said:

Here is another thing that bugs me:  We do not throw the ball to Forte enough, and he is considered one of the best pass catching backs in football.  And we have a guy like Peake, who supposedly has 4.3 speed and is long, and we never throw him a deep ball all season.  Like I asked last night, what goes on at practice and in meetings?  We need a rebuild, yes.  But we do not even use  the tools we have properly, young or old.   These coaches have to go.

8 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

The jets need playmakers...best playmaker in this draft is peppers....draft him.

Admittedly, I did not watch a single Michigan game except the last one.

So, I'm curious why everyone is so high on a safety/LB with 1 INT, 1 PD, and 1 FF on the season?

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I in 2009-2010 we made it to back to back AFC Championship games

In 2015 we won 10 games

We are the most inconsistent team in the NFL

We need stability and to field a competitive team and draft a lot better than we have.

We also need a QB until then nothing else matters.

The current formula isn't working 47 years tells that story.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been having bad games in the 12 years he's been in the NFL and they aren't just a few games he is who I knew he was.

Consistency,stabilty,accountability be competitive unlike now.

What you are not getting is that we are still the same 4 win John Idzik team we were in 2014.

Last year was a mirage, a look at what life would have been like with an above average quarterback and an easy schedule.  This year is reality, what life is like without a good quarterback and a hard schedule.

There is no quick fix this time.  This isn't like the old days when we could fire Edwards and watch Mangini take us to the playoffs.  We don't have the core talent for that any more.  We are over.  We are what Rex Ryan made us-  deep on the DL with guys who don't care and not much else.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

What you are not getting is that we are still the same 4 win John Idzik team we were in 2014.

Last year was a mirage, a look at what life would have been like with an above average quarterback and an easy schedule.  This year is reality, what life is like without a good quarterback and a hard schedule.

There is no quick fix this time.  This isn't like the old days when we could fire Edwards and watch Mangini take us to the playoffs.  We don't have the core talent for that any more.  We are over.  We are what Rex Ryan made us-  deep on the DL with guys who don't care and not much else.

SAR I

Mike Maccagnan is responsible for a lot of the current roster its a bunch of JAGs many wouldn't be in the NFL if it weren't for the NY Jets. 

There is no quick fix I agree. 

QB, O-Line, Cornerbacks, maybe a LB.

New Coach who can lead players.

I'm not drinking the poison cool aid that this team as a whole is rotten.  We have issues, especially at QB and CB, but they're not insurmountable.

The Coach has shown he's not up the the challenge, he has to go.

The QB's are sh*t, one needs to step up (Petty or Hack) or one average NFL Starter-quality Veteran acquired or drafted.

The entire D-backfield (supposedly Bowles specialty) needs reviewed and mostly replaced, they're that bad.

And the D-Line talent is more than fine, it just need re-schemed (more blitzing ffs) and motivated.

Personally, I also dump Forte the second I find someone else, but I know that one is not popular because people actually think Forte doesn't suck 95% of the time.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

QB, O-Line, Cornerbacks, maybe a LB.

New Coach who can lead players.

I'm not drinking the poison cool aid that this team as a whole is rotten.  We have issues, especially at QB and CB, but they're not insurmountable.

The Coach has shown he's not up the the challenge, he has to go.

The QB's are sh*t, one needs to step up (Petty or Hack) or one average NFL Starter-quality Veteran acquired or drafted.

The entire D-backfield (supposedly Bowles specialty) needs reviewed and mostly replaced, they're that bad.

And the D-Line talent is more than fine, it just need re-schemed (more blitzing ffs) and motivated.

Personally, I also dump Forte the second I find someone else, but I know that one is not popular because people actually think Forte doesn't suck 95% of the time.

The at least 2/3 of the dline are lazy slugs.  Leonard williams is the only guy who tries on almost every play but even he is becoming infected.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Admittedly, I did not watch a single Michigan game except the last one.

So, I'm curious why everyone is so high on a safety/LB with 1 INT, 1 PD, and 1 FF on the season?

I only watched most recent game myself but I did also watch everything draftbreakdown.com had on him and I watched the others in top 10 plus more.  I like what I saw.

Archived