McKnight Killer Charged with Manslaughter

isired

Gasser was arrested this morning and charged with manslaughter. Press conference live now.

http://www.nola.com/articles/19786300/joe_mcknight_gasser_arrest.amp

Regarding the dozen+ posts in the previous thread on stand your ground, my understanding is that it is an affirmative defense, the burden of proof falls on the defendant. So it would not preclude an arrest, but rather would seem to necessitate one, given Gasser's acknowledgement that he had shot and killed McKnight. But it seems like it probably affected the charge.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did I hear correctly, before the moment of silence last night, the stadium announcer say "Jets Legend, Joe McKnight"?

they call all alumni Jets "legends", whenever they bring back former players they refer to them as legends.  even guys as crappy as Rob carpenter who never did a thing for us and 90% of the fanbase doesn't remember him they call a legend as he shows up for everything.

11 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Obviously overstated but c'mon man, it's for his family.

Did anyone else see Westhoff get emotional last night re: McKnight on the Postgame? Feel bad for the guy, I think he could've been a great HC. 

Speaking of Westhoff, how 'bout that blocked punt on STs by McKnight vs. Dallas?  That was awesome.  

Speaking of Westhoff, how 'bout that blocked punt on STs by McKnight vs. Dallas?  That was awesome.  

That play was huge too, we were down I believe 2 TDs in the 4th at that point and that blocked punt led to one TD in a game the Jets eventually won.....was also on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 too.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, papz187 said:

That play was huge too, we were down I believe 2 TDs in the 4th at that point and that blocked punt led to one TD in a game the Jets eventually won.....was also on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 too.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

that blocked punt tied the game late.

24 minutes ago, rillo said:

I'll wait to see if he actually gets convicted. I can't believe they let him go

That is the shocking part. I would think they could hold him for a bit while they sorted through this.

The fact that the defendant was originally released tells me that the police and/or prosecutor felt they needed time to gather more evidence to remove reasonable doubt.  You have to hope that they found what ever else they needed to get a conviction and didn't just speed up the process to relieve the pressure they were receiving from the public to make an arrest.

Why does the storyline always have to be so one sided? why does every one assumes McKnight is completely innocent and is a complete victim here? Because he was good at football then he probably is a great guy right?

You never know who you are dealing with in the real world, and maybe McKnight thought he could intimidate someone after a car accident, talked some crap and now he's dead.

Maybe he was trying to pull the guy out of the car so he could kick his but and that is how it happened, but everyone assumes McKnight was being a reasonable person. If he was the shooter would have been arrested right away

5 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Why does the storyline always have to be so one sided? why does every one assumes McKnight is completely innocent and is a complete victim here? Because he was good at football then he probably is a great guy right?

You never know who you are dealing with in the real world, and maybe McKnight thought he could intimidate someone after a car accident, talked some crap and now he's dead.

Maybe he was trying to pull the guy out of the car so he could kick his but and that is how it happened, but everyone assumes McKnight was being a reasonable person. If he was the shooter would have been arrested right away

McKnight was unarmed. As he is on foot moving toward the car how about rolling up the window stepping on the gas and going straight to the nearest PD.

44 minutes ago, August said:

I'll reserve judgement until later...

People are nuts.  It is so not worth engaging anyone when it comes to road rage, no matter your race, color, or creed.  We've all called people a-holes and given the finger and such, but I stopped doing that years ago because people are freaking crazy.  Ignore and carry on. Do I ever have a story, but don't we all.  Bottom line is, all Gasser had to do was say I have a weapon if he felt that threatened and that probably would've diffused it.  Man, I hope this guy goes down. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

they call all alumni Jets "legends", whenever they bring back former players they refer to them as legends.  even guys as crappy as Rob carpenter who never did a thing for us and 90% of the fanbase doesn't remember him they call a legend as he shows up for everything.

Last night they called Lou Benfatti and Blair Thomas "Jets legends".

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Was honestly unaware that was the policy, seems a bit marketing-dishonest, but if they do it for everyone who ever played, so be it of course.

Was more curious than anything else, because while his death was tragic, he's not in the ballpark of a being legend.

I hope McKnight was not the aggressor here, and that his family will receive justice for his death.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Was honestly unaware that was the policy, seems a bit marketing-dishonest, but if they do it for everyone who ever played, so be it of course.

Was more curious than anything else, because while his death was tragic, he's not in the ballpark of a being legend.

I hope McKnight was not the aggressor here, and that his family will receive justice for his death.

It doesn't appear that way:

Later in the press conference, when Normand finally stepped down from his soapbox and addressed the case, he said that Gasser became irritated when McKnight cut Gasser off in traffic. Gasser then pursued McKnight. McKnight eventually parked and went to Gasser’s car. At that point, Gasser fired three shots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/06/sheriff-explains-joe-mcknight-shooting-with-another-bizarre-press-conference/

Also, Gasser has apparently been arrested in another road rage incident where he chased a guy to a gas station and then punched him.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

It doesn't appear that way:

Later in the press conference, when Normand finally stepped down from his soapbox and addressed the case, he said that Gasser became irritated when McKnight cut Gasser off in traffic. Gasser then pursued McKnight. McKnight eventually parked and went to Gasser’s car. At that point, Gasser fired three shots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/06/sheriff-explains-joe-mcknight-shooting-with-another-bizarre-press-conference/

Also, Gasser has apparently been arrested in another road rage incident where he chased a guy to a gas station and then punched him.

The other road rage incident with Gasser is what convinced me that this guy is a nutjob. 

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Obviously overstated but c'mon man, it's for his family.

Did anyone else see Westhoff get emotional last night re: McKnight on the Postgame? Feel bad for the guy, I think he could've been a great HC. 

The word is that McKnight was liked in the locker room.  Mangold, Powell, and Revis are having a hard time with the situation.

I feel bad for mcnight. 

I never read the story in detail until now so at the risk of sounding crazy...I hate to say it but:

McNight is wrong. The other dude shouldnt be in jail nor should he be charged.

It doesnt matter if you agree or disagree with the stand your ground laws. Its the law in LA. So if were going by the law, a person who has a license to carry, is in a public place, and reasonably feels that his life is in immediate danger (death OR great bodily harm) ..he has the right to fire. Now I respect anyone who hates the law. I get it. I support the law. But its not about my feelings...

McNight chased the guy down. they both got to a red light and screamed at each other. Joe, however, got out of his car. Then Joe approached him.

Anyone out there ...that would not be fully pumped on an adrenelin overload and then get VERY concerned when the guy exits his vehicle AND approaches your car AND hes a big menacing dude is a LIAR. Youd be scared too and definitely fear for at least a possible beatdown. Well you dont have to take a beating.....

This guy going to jail is a travesty, imo. 

sorry, Joe. you didnt deserve to die. you might not have even laid a hand on the guy but exiting your vehicle was a mistake. Its not an adult thing to do. Its aggressive. Its crossing the line. Its also very, very foolish to do so in a southern stand your ground law state

On 12/6/2016 at 10:27 AM, Maxman said:

That is the shocking part. I would think they could hold him for a bit while they sorted through this.

According to the sheriff they were searching for reliable witnesses. That takes time. You can't just hold a guy without charging him while you go on an indefinite search for that, especially when he's being nothing but cooperative. I know this because I'm home sick and watching Law & Order marathons.

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I feel bad for mcnight. 

I never read the story in detail until now so at the risk of sounding crazy...I hate to say it but:

It doesnt matter if you agree or disagree with the stand your ground laws. Its the law in LA. So if were going by the law, a person who has a license to carry, is in a public place, and reasonably feels that his life is in immediate danger (death OR great bodily harm) ..he has the right to fire. Now I respect anyone who hates the law. I get it. I support the law. But its not about my feelings...

McNight chased the guy down. they both got to a red light and screamed at each other. Joe, however, got out of his car. Then Joe approached him.

Anyone out there ...that would not be fully pumped on an adrenelin overload and then get VERY concerned when the guy exits his vehicle AND approaches your car AND hes a big menacing dude is a LIAR. Youd be scared too and definitely fear for at least a possible beatdown. Well you dont have to take a beating.....

sorry, Joe. you didnt deserve to die. you might not have even laid a hand on the guy but exiting your vehicle was a mistake. Its not an adult thing to do. Its aggressive. Its crossing the line. Its also very, very foolish to do so in a southern stand your ground law state

Joe McNight is far from a big menancing dude. I can tell you with the utmost certainty unless someone is approaching my car with a weapon of some sort I might have an adrenaline rush, but fear for my life? Honestly I'm at a loss.

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I feel bad for mcnight. 

Unfortunately...I have to agree. However.... the shooter will stand trial.  What you described will be adjudicated and hopefully the right thing done.   If that's jail...so be it.  I hate road rage.  

Archived