Let's discuss - Who is the next coach?

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SMC said:

I'm surprised things turned bad so quickly for Bowles. He had a winning season last year and now the media and fans want him fired.

Not saying he should stay, but I can't remember a coach getting fired in his 2nd season after having a winning season his first year.

Did you watch the abortion on Monday night?

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

College coaches who have no prior nfl coaching experience, including coordinating scares me off. Jim Harbagh didn't have nfl coaching experience prior to coaching SF, but he did play in the league for over a decade.  

Bowles is a former player (from 1986-1993) and also won a superbowl.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

McDaniels coaching:

"Throw a touchdown, Tom!"

Stop it already with the Patriot assistants. They're all fool's gold. 

To your point, have any of Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Todd Haley, Josh McDaniels done anything as a HC?

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Bowles is a former player (from 1986-1993) and also won a superbowl.

Yeah I know, so what? I I was talking about Petersen, Washingtons cosch . I was just saying how I'm not a fan out of college coaches who come to the NFL without any previous NFL coaching experience. It usually doesnt translate well. One exception to that though was Jim Harbaugh who had no NFL coaching experience. He did play in the NFL though which helped the transition for him.  

I think Todd Haley would be really good. He has that fiery in-your-face mentality that we would all love. Offense-minded (finally!), and has never seem to be a conservative play-caller.

I like that he's had good passing and running offenses, and has had good results with multiple teams. (Dallas, Arizona, Pitt as coordinators) So he's not a one trick pony. 

I think he would play for Woody in a heartbeat too. I remember when we beat the Chiefs in 2011, after the game he actually said "Its nice to see a team where ownership and management actually have your back. I wish I could coach a team like that."

My one concern is how things ended in KC. He was accusing the team of bugging his office, spreading rumors, forcing him out. Real cold-war cia / communist McCarthy file stuff. Was he exposing KC or crazy paranoid? Who knows.

I'd hire him in a heartbeat though. 

19 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

I think Mike Shanahan could be an interesting choice, maybe even bring in his son as an eventual successor.    Not a sexy name and he is a retread but I think the next coach needs to be a veteran experienced coach.  Shanahan has also showed an eye for the QB position, RG3 was the owner's pick but Cousins was his and look how that turned out. 

Shanahan had two good years in Denver, with Elway as his QB.  In Oakland and Washington he sh*t the bed with some terrible teams.  I would break things in my living room if the Jets hired him. 

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

Shanahan had two good years in Denver, with Elway as his QB.  In Oakland and Washington he sh*t the bed with some terrible teams.  I would break things in my living room if the Jets hired him. 

I think Shanahan would be a great choice. I just dont expect Woody to ever fork over that kind of money to a legit coach.

19 hours ago, nyjunc said:

what has he done w/o TD and Elway?  besides those 2 seasons he has coached 17 seasons w/ ONE playoff app and Jet fans want him? you just can't make this stuff up and it's why we deserve the 2016 New York Jets.  

..and the SB wins were almost 20 years ago, the guy is a dinosaur (as is Coughlin).

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To your point, have any of Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel, Todd Haley, Josh McDaniels done anything as a HC?

Add Mangini and Bill O'Brien to that peanut gallery.

Without Brady and Belichick, the Pats would be just as much of a clown show as the Jets. 

11 hours ago, RSJ said:

Could you name a coach that WASNT a disaster with the Redskins?

Marty schottenheimer.   

He finished his one season there with like 5 or 6 straight wins and had a tony banks (I think) led team heading in the right direction.   He was fired because he didn't talk to Snyder and wouldn't let Snyder make football decisions.  

8 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Marty schottenheimer.   

He finished his one season there with like 5 or 6 straight wins and had a tony banks (I think) led team heading in the right direction.   He was fired because he didn't talk to Snyder and wouldn't let Snyder make football decisions.  

Shanahan's tenure in DC waant that bad RG3 just turned out to be an uncoachable idiot

Good list. There are names we've seen before, including Seahawks OC Bevel, among others. Cowher isn't interested in coaching anymore unless he's broke. Coughlin's too old at this point, and why would Harbaugh leave Michigan to be Jets HC? Anyway, this article is quite thorough

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2016/12/07/12-potential-jets-coaching-candidates-ones-a-giant-familiar-face/amp/?client=safari 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you want a guy fired from his 2nd job after missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years?  Jax will be perfect for him with that young and talented team.  we have an older team.

We need a guy with experience who won't roll over while Wilkerson and Revis mail it in

Archived