Let's discuss - Who is the next coach?

Joe W. Namath

8 minutes ago, peebag said:

I would want Saban to be the coach...of the Miami Dolphins.

Dude..Saban was horrific as the Dolphin's coach...he ran as fast as he could back to the college level as fast as he could.

they were 4-12 the year before Saban, went 15-17 w/ him then were 1-15 the year after he left.  he didn't do a bad job.  Pete Carroll failed his first 2 times as a HC in the NFL, BB failed his first time.  Saban is an all time great coach. he'd succeed in the NFL w/ another chance.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Bingo. Shanahan wanted to build that team the right way. He also had the balls to basically tell Snyder and everyone else in the building who was in denial "our first round pick who we traded away all those picks for sucks and i want to bench him." 

Mike Shanahan is awful.  Do people relaize that outside of the back to back Sbs where TD and Elway carried he has one other career playoff win in 17 seasons.  

7 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I think Mike Shanahan could be an interesting choice, maybe even bring in his son as an eventual successor.    Not a sexy name and he is a retread but I think the next coach needs to be a veteran experienced coach.  Shanahan has also showed an eye for the QB position, RG3 was the owner's pick but Cousins was his and look how that turned out. 

and what other QBs has he developed?

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sure, but that is managing scared.  Not a quality I want in a GM.

Should've signed some other cheaper vet for 3 or 4 mil instead.

I agree, it sucks, but I understand why, letting Fitz walk was too much of a risk for him, and without a competent replacement made it a no-brainer, scared or not...But any GM under woody will have the same attitude, they are scared, he fired the last GM after just 2 years.

The cheap Vet doesn't work either - if he sucks (which he would have), then Mac's still the guy who let fitz walk after one of the best statistical seasons for a NYJ QB, and replaced him with a ham sandwich.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Mike Shanahan is awful.  Do people relaize that outside of the back to back Sbs where TD and Elway carried he has one other career playoff win in 17 seasons.  

Back to Back Super Bowl wins - Awful

Back to Back AFCCG Runner Up - Good

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Back to Back Super Bowl wins - Awful

Back to Back AFCCG Runner Up - Good

what has he done w/o TD and Elway?  besides those 2 seasons he has coached 17 seasons w/ ONE playoff app and Jet fans want him? you just can't make this stuff up and it's why we deserve the 2016 New York Jets.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

what has he done w/o TD and Elway?  besides those 2 seasons he has coached 17 seasons w/ ONE playoff app and Jet fans want him? you just can't make this stuff up and it's why we deserve the 2016 New York Jets.  

I'm not endorsing him.  I'm simply pointing out the logical issues in your arguments.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Todd Bowles will be the coach of the Jets in 2017.

Possible, however if he does come back he better get off a good start next year otherwise it will get real ugly, real fast. 

If jets lose out and lay down rest of the year, don't think he will survive.

56 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So the excuse for Dak is that every GM passed on him.

Yet Macc is the only GM who wanted Fitz.  

He got things reversed.

Would've been much better if he agreed with all other GMs about Fitz and disagreed about Dak.

most of the other GMs already had someone just as bad as Fitz.  Macc did not trust Geno for a year.

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

most of the other GMs already had someone just as bad as Fitz.  Macc did not trust Geno for a year.

Fitz was brought in as a backup to compete w/ Geno in year 1.  he started, had a great year and Macc brought him back.  he didn't make a bad move, a bad move would have been signing him to a multi year cap busting deal.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

ditto.  the question is how many years did bowles sign for?  4 years at 16M.  not bad. usually they extend the contract so the coach doesn't become a lame duck.

I want someone who has been a head coach----college or pro. Someone who hs shown he can be in charge

Just now, nyjunc said:

Fitz was brought in as a backup to compete w/ Geno in year 1.  he started, had a great year and Macc brought him back.  he didn't make a bad move, a bad move would have been signing him to a multi year cap busting deal.

I was against a re-sign, but I understand why he did it.  I was prepared to rebuild.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Coughlin Is the guy... He will change the attitude of this team and set a base to build from. Leading the way for another coach in a few years when we actually have a decent amount of talent.

Really?  He had a downward slide at the end with the Giants.  And he is ooooooold

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I was against a re-sign, but I understand why he did it.  I was prepared to rebuild.

I was fine either way, my thinking was we'd miss the playoffs w/ or w/o him.  I can't bash him for that move.  I don't think it was as much a lack of trust in Geno as it was a lack of trust in Petty/Hack to be ready.  we couldn't go into a season w/ Geno as a 1 and those other guys as our backups.

Just now, jack48 said:

Really?  He had a downward slide at the end with the Giants.  And he is ooooooold

And won two Superbowls with the Giants and doesn't allow players to skip or be late to meetings. Yes he is old, but he is not to be here for 20 years... Just enough time to give this team discipline it desperately needs.

10 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Possible, however if he does come back he better get off a good start next year otherwise it will get real ugly, real fast. 

If jets lose out and lay down rest of the year, don't think he will survive.

Newsflash, the Jets have no QB for 2017 either so it's going to be another down year, no matter who the coach is. There are major, fundamental issues with this roster from top to bottom. Changing the coach doesn't change the players and those problems.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Newsflash, the Jets have no QB for 2017 either so it's going to be another down year, no matter who the coach is. There are major, fundamental issues with this roster from top to bottom. Changing the coach doesn't change the players and those problems.

Except discipline... which is desperately needed. And good... I hope they lose every game next year and draft Darnold or Rosen, That would be a dream

Except discipline... which is desperately needed. And good... I hope they lose every game next year and draft Darnold or Rosen, That would be a dream

You aren't going to undo 6 years of Rex with only 2 years and many of the same players. It's just not that easy.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

You aren't going to undo 6 years of Rex with only 2 years and many of the same players. It's just not that easy.

Disagree Carl the players never quit on Rex the players never openly supported any players under Rex they went about their business and made it to back to back AFC Championship games. 

Rex wrote the checks his team couldn't cash but they tried like hell. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Disagree Carl the players never quit on Rex the players never openly supported any players under Rex they went about their business and made it to back to back AFC Championship games. 

Rex wrote the checks his team couldn't cash but they tried like hell. 

Rex was a discipline problem... not an effort problem... now we have both

Rex was a discipline problem... not an effort problem... now we have both

Rex was an "I cant' really coach" problem. an "I only know ONE defense and ZERO offense" problem.

Teams quit in particular games all the time. But, for some reason, the Jets always get nationally televised games when they surely aren't national TV quality.

Archived