.. @ 49ers - 12/11, 4:05 pm on cbs ~ ~ ~

kelly

Niners to start Colin Kaepernick vs. Jets after benching

-- Quarterback Colin Kaepernick's benching lasted all of one quarter.

San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Curtis Modkins announced Tuesday that Kaepernick will remain in the starting lineup this week against the New York Jets. Kaepernick was benched in favor of Blaine Gabbert for the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Chicago Bears."Kap is going to be the starter," Modkins said. "And we'll go from there. We just decided during the game to try to see if Blaine could give us a spark."

Kaepernick had the least-productive game of his NFL career in the 26-6 loss to Chicago, going 1-of-5 for 4 yards and taking five sacks in three quarters before coach Chip Kelly opted for Gabbert.After the game, Kelly indicated that the move probably wasn't permanent, saying it was made in an effort to ignite the stagnant offense."I thought we needed a spark on offense and needed to get something going," Kelly said Sunday. "[We] knew we were going to be throwing every down, so give Blaine a shot. That was it, nothing more."

Modkins made the announcement Tuesday in part because Kelly is not in California. He is attending the funeral of his father, E. Paul Kelly, in Maine and is expected to rejoin the 49ers this week.Modkins said no consideration was given to taking a look at Christian Ponder, the only one of the three quarterbacks on the roster not to play this season. Kaepernick replaced Gabbert in Week 6 and has started all seven games since, throwing 10 touchdown passes and three interceptions for the Niners (1-11).

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18220670/san-francisco-49ers-sticking-colin-kaepernick-starting-quarterback

-- The New York Jets will travel to the West Coast this weekend to take a look at two potential quarterbacks of their future -- Bryce Petty and Colin Kaepernick.

Once considered the San Francisco 49ers' franchise quarterback, Kaepernick likely will be available in the offseason. He has the ability to void his contract, making him a free agent. It's hard to say if he'll be on the Jets' radar, but they have to consider every option, don't they? Their game prep, coupled with live scouting, will give the Jets a better feel for Kaepernick.

Kaepernick, 29, who began the season on the bench, is 0-8 since replacing Blaine Gabbert. He's actually had a couple of good games, but was pulled from Sunday's loss to the Chicago Bears. On Tuesday, he was named the starter for Sunday's game at Levi's Stadium.

The 49ers (1-11) have lost 11 straight. Here are six players to watch, courtesy of ESPN 49ers reporter Nick Wagoner :

OFFENSE

TE Vance McDonald -- McDonald already owns career highs in receiving yards and touchdowns, and though they are modest numbers (391 yards and four touchdowns), it's been enough for the Niners to re-examine where he fits in the long term. McDonald didn't do much against Chicago last week but no 49ers player did. If he's going to continue building the case for a contract extension, he'll need to finish strong.

RB Carlos Hyde -- After recovering from a shoulder injury, Hyde has strung together three pretty solid weeks, averaging more than 4.5 yards per carry in each of the past three games. He's at 686 yards for the season and has a shot at his first career 1,000-yard season. The Jets' run defense will be a tough test along the way.

WR Torrey Smith -- It's been a disappointing season for Smith, who remains on pace for career lows in catches and yards. Smith returned from a shoulder injury against Miami and made a tough catch for a touchdown, but he also missed a pass that turned into an interception. Against Chicago, he went without a catch and said after the game all the losing and lack of production has him struggling to sleep at night.

DEFENSE

S Jaquiski Tartt -- The Niners lost starting safety Eric Reid for the season to a torn biceps in his right arm against New England three weeks ago. Tartt has been starting in Reid's place since. Tartt has six tackles in two starts replacing Reid and hasn't offered any splash plays. The Niners don't ask as much of Tartt as they did Reid, but they could use more production from him over the final four games.

OLB Ahmad Brooks -- The 49ers' pass rush has been mostly non-existent this season, but the one player who has offered at least some production is Brooks. He has five sacks and has, at minimum, shared a sack in each of the past three games. The Niners could use more if they're going to land that elusive second win.

DL DeForest Buckner -- Buckner has played more snaps (739) than any interior defensive lineman in the NFL despite missing a game because of injury. The results have been mixed, though Buckner has flashed recently as a pass-rusher. For the season, he has 54 tackles, three sacks and two fumble recoveries. This is the time of year a rookie wall would be in play, but it's especially worth watching Buckner given his workload.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65413/jets-head-to-frisco-on-qb-scouting-mission-colin-kaepernick-anyone

-- The San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets have long since been removed from the NFL playoff picture, leaving Sunday's matchup at Levi's Stadium as little more than a factor in the 2017 NFL draft order.The 3-9 Jets come to town on a short week after playing on Monday night against Indianapolis and must travel across the country for this one. The Niners, meanwhile, are looking for any possible way to break their franchise-record 11-game losing streak.

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini offered a look at six Jets to watch in this matchup :

OFFENSE

QB Bryce Petty – Coach Todd Bowles announced after Monday night’s 41-10 loss to the Colts that Petty will start the final four games, replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick. Petty, a 2015 fourth-round pick from Baylor, has one start and mop-up assignment to his credit. He has completed 32 of 59 passes for 317 yards, with two touchdowns and three interceptions. Petty has an NFL arm and he’s reasonably mobile, but he has a long way to go in terms of reading defenses. His future with the team is up in the air; this is strictly a four-game audition.

WR Brandon Marshall – He’s having one of the least productive years of his career. Marshall hasn’t exceeded 70 receiving yards in seven games, managing only one touchdown during the span. With only 711 yards total, he likely will fall short of 1,000 for only the third time in his 11-year career. He was beast last season, re-writing the franchise record book for receivers, but he has slowed down at 32. He probably will be cut or traded after the season. His age and 2017 cap charge ($7.5 million) don’t fit with the anticipated youth movement.

RB Matt Forte – Forte was defying Father Time for a good chunk of the season, but he has slowed down. The former Chicago Bears standout, who turns 31 on Saturday, has managed only 52 rushing yards in the past two games. Oddly, this came after the bye week. So much for rest and healing. With an inexperienced quarterback in the lineup, the Jets will keep it simple, which probably means a heavy dose of Forte.

DEFENSE

DT Leonard Williams – There aren’t many worthy candidates, but Williams probably is the MVP of the team. He’s the only member of the highly touted defensive line playing up to expectations. Williams, the sixth overall pick in 2015, leads the team with 6.5 sacks. He’s big, strong and surprisingly quick, capable of lining up anywhere along the defensive line, including nose tackle. The Jets need a few more blue-chip talents like Williams.

CB Darrelle Revis – The once-great Revis is just another guy. Revis, 31, has regressed significantly, ranking 86th among 122 qualified cornerbacks, according to Pro Football Focus. Once regarded as a premier bump-and-run corner, he plays mostly “off” coverage, giving huge cushion to receivers. He says it’s because his surgically repaired wrist doesn’t allow him to jam receivers at the line; others say he’s worried about getting beat deep. Either way, it hasn’t been pretty.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson – This has been a disappointing year for Wilkerson, who signed a five-year, $86 million contract in July. Coming off his first Pro Bowl season, he has only 2.5 sacks and hasn’t been nearly as disruptive as he was a year ago. He has been hampered by a surgically repaired ankle, but he says he has felt better in recent weeks. He showed some signs of life on Monday night, so maybe he’s finding his groove again.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/21836/49ers-first-up-in-bryce-pettys-four-game-audition

-- New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall doesn't have much recollection of the last time he played the San Francisco 49ers but cornerback Jimmie Ward sure does.

It was Sept. 14, 2014, the second game of the season and Marshall was playing for the Chicago Bears. Ward, meanwhile, was two games into his rookie season after arriving as a first-round pick out of Northern Illinois.Despite mostly sticky coverage from Ward, Marshall simply outmuscled him for three touchdowns in a 28-20 Chicago victory. Now, the 1-11 Niners and 3-9 Jets are preparing to meet Sunday at Levi's Stadium.

Ward remembers that game very well; Marshall offered an interesting explanation for why he doesn't.

"I watched it a lot," Ward said. "It was my welcome-to-the-NFL game. I’m just looking forward to going against Brandon Marshall for the second time in my career."

"It was a valuable lesson. I definitely learned from that two years ago."

Marshall, on the other hand, was coming off a high ankle sprain and doing everything he could to play in that game. After initially hesitating to explain why he couldn't recall the details, he decided to explain further in a conference call with Bay Area media on Wednesday.“I’ll say it, I took a couple pain pills that masked the pain," Marshall said. "I really wasn’t supposed to play. I came back from a high ankle within 10 days. I was supposed to be out four to six weeks. I don’t remember much from that game. I just remember catching those balls. And that was pretty much it.”But Ward clearly has enough memories for both players. At the time, Ward was working as a nickel corner and getting some looks at safety. Since, he's become one of the Niners' starting outside cornerbacks. In fact, coach Chip Kelly recently called Ward the team's best corner, and Ward received plaudits from Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald for how he competed in their matchup last month.

Ward pointed to a better understanding of the game and details such as using leverage better and funneling receivers to his help as ways he's improved his game since that first meeting."I feel like even the best corners right now in the league, whoever is the top corner, he is learning stuff right now too," Ward said. "So you can never stop learning anything at corner or any defensive position so I would still list myself as a DB, not just corner."For the most part, the Niners haven't asked Ward or fellow starting cornerback Tramaine Brock to shadow opposing receivers this season, leaving Ward to work either as the boundary corner or in the slot in nickel packages. Ward hinted Wednesday, though, that there could be come opportunities for him to follow someone like Marshall in certain situations.

In looking back at that first meeting against Marshall, Ward remembers being close as Marshall hauled in that hat trick of touchdown passes but simply finding himself on the wrong end of Marshall's physical approach.Which means this time around Ward knows he must be willing to mix it up, even if it means more yellow flags on the field.

"I feel like you have just got to want it more," Ward said. "He’ll be doing a little pushing, so going into this game, if he’s doing a little pushing, I’m going to do a little pushing. So I just feel like whoever wants it more, that’s who is going to come down with the ball."Pushing, shoving, there might be some flags. I don’t know, I don’t care. We’re out here playing football and it’s going to be a physical game and that’s what I’m going into it thinking."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/21877/jimmie-ward-looking-forward-to-rematch-with-brandon-marshall

Once again, I am hoping Petty plays well, all the young players play well and the Jets lose. Maybe Richardson will have 7 sacks and boost his trade value? A girl can dream right?

Let's lose one for the gipper!

Praying for a top 3 draft pick leading to a massive haul via trade down. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Once again, I am hoping Petty plays well, all the young players play well and the Jets lose. Maybe Richardson will have 7 sacks and boost his trade value? A girl can dream right?

Let's lose one for the gipper!

Praying for a top 3 draft pick leading to a massive haul via trade down. 

agreed !..  hang a sign on our 1st round pick in this year's draft,... " BEST OFFER "    :cool:

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets RT Breno Giacomini (back) has been ruled out for Sunday, so Brent Qvale will start, per Todd Bowles. This means the offensive line will have three starters that were backups in training camp -- Qvale, LT Ben Ijalana and C Wes Johnson. DT Steve McLendon, LB Lorenzo Mauldin, S Antonio Allen, WR Jalin Marshall and RB Khiry Robinson also are OUT due to injuries. It looks like WR Devin Smith will make his 2016 debut.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Jets-49ers: 5 Storylines as Petty Takes Over

Posted 17 hours ago

•  
  •  

In the Face of Adversity, Brandon Marshall Remains Encouraged

Petty’s Quarter Begins: The time is now for Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif. Late Monday night, Todd Bowles announced that Petty would start the Jets’ final four games. Petty has received starter reps at practice the last few weeks, so the Jets think he will be more comfortable and they will see how he progresses down the stretch. Petty, who admitted to pressing when he relived Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif against the Colts, intends on capitalizing on his opportunity. He will try to get his feet in sync with his mind, go through progressions quickly and deliver on target.

“I think it’s just trying to take the same mentality I’ve always had, which is just control what you can control,” Petty said. “That’s my preparation and my work coming in every day who I am in this locker room and as a teammate. I know I sound like a broken record, but the rest really will take care of itself. Put your best foot forward. Give it a go with all God’s given you and give it to Him.”

“He looks like he has a good command of what Chan (Gailey) is trying to do. He’s athletic, he can keep plays alive with his legs,” said 49ers head coach Chip Kelly of Petty. “We liked him coming out. I know he’s talented and he does have the arm talent to play in the National Football League. It’s just that there’s a short kind of sample size of exactly how he’s fitting in to what Chan is trying to do with him.”

marshall-story-1208.jpg

Staying Together: Despite the Jets’ 3-9 record, star WR Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif says the team is taking a professional approach and has not come unglued.‘We’ve had some tough conversations, we’ve held each other accountable,” Marshall said. “But we’re still together and that’s promising.”

Change at Center: It appears likely that Petty’s center Sunday will be Wesley Johnsonicon-article-link.gif. Seven-time Pro Bowler Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif re-aggravated an ankle injury against the Colts and he did not practice Wednesday. The 6’5”, 297-pound Johnson has started four games at center for the Green & White this season including Petty’s first career start in Week 10 against the Rams. The two have to be in sync this week, calling our protections and getting the offense set up before the snap.

AP_16304804437416-johnson-story.jpg

Tackling a Milestone: David Harrisicon-article-link.gif will almost assuredly move into second place on the franchise’s all-time tackles list on Sunday. Harris needs seven stops to surpass Mo Lewis (1,231) and then only Kyle Clifton (1,471) will stand above him . Harris, who leads the team with 77 stops including 58 solos, is well on his way to top the 100-tackle mark for the ninth time in 10 seasons.

Youthful Ride: Two weeks ago, Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif look a fumble in the first half against the Patriots. Then on Monday night, the blazing target had a couple of clear drops against the Colts. But Anderson’s progress has been continually on display as well. Over the last four weeks, Anderson has led the Jets with nine receptions for 164 yards.  The Temple product currently ranks seventh amongst all rookie wideouts and first among undrafted wide receivers with 28 receptions for 365 yards.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-49ers-5-Storylines-as-Petty-Takes-Over/1840e486-d43b-4fb8-8ed0-39a86b37fdf4

-- This is what you wanted, right?

After weeks of noise and anticipation, the New York Jets are ready to unveil “Project Petty,” a four-week audition that represents the latest chapter in their ever-compelling quarterback saga.On Sunday, Bryce Petty makes his second career start -- his first as the No. 1 quarterback -- when the downtrodden Jets (3-9) meet the really downtrodden San Francisco 49ers (1-11) at Levi’s Stadium.

A piece of advice: Don’t get your hopes up over these next few weeks.

Petty is stepping into a challenging situation. His inexperience (91 regular-season snaps), coupled with a depleted and ineffective supporting cast, will make it extremely difficult to accomplish his ultimate goal: to claim the 2017 starting job.“I think we all realize there will be some bumps in the road,” offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said, “but we expect the best.”

You have to like Petty’s moxie, and his work ethic has teammates buzzing. Those intangibles will help him, but this isn’t Dak Prescott taking over the Dallas Cowboys.Petty didn’t have a full training camp with the starters; he has had only one full week -- actually, a short week. He doesn’t have Ezekiel Elliott or the NFL’s best offensive line to protect him. In fact, he will play behind a line missing three starters. The offense has generated only 33 points in the past three games, so it’s not as though he’s being handed the keys to a Ferrari.

One hopes Gailey will let him play without training wheels, which wasn’t the case Nov. 13 against the Los Angeles Rams. The best way to evaluate Petty -- that’s the goal here, right? -- is to let him play the position with no restrictions. He’ll face the worst defense in the league, which helps. The Jets won't judge Petty on one game; they will be looking for progress over the final four weeks, especially with his decision-making and ability to read coverages.

“My goal since I’ve been here is to be the starter for the New York Jets,” Petty said.

You’re up, kid.

Five thoughts on the game:

1. Referendum on Todd Bowles: This game will tell us a lot about the coach’s hold on the locker room. The Jets were pitiful in their 41-10 loss Monday to the Indianapolis Colts, prompting Bowles to question the team’s effort -- dangerous territory. A coach can alienate his players by criticizing effort, which might explain why he backtracked the following day. In his revised assessment, Bowles said they played with heart, but not their head. Another non-competitive loss will speak volumes. The last time the Jets were blown out in back-to-back games (21 points or more) was 2012.

2. Will Sheldon show? Sheldon Richardson pulled the defensive version of a Blutarsky against the Colts -- zero tackles -- and spent nearly the entire second half on the bench. The coaches called it a “game plan” decision. Whatever. It’ll be interesting to see how much Richardson plays and how well he plays. His replacement Monday, Deon Simon, did some nice things in a 3-4 front with Leonard Williams and Muhammad Wilkerson.

3. Youth is served: Bowles said he’s planning to increase the playing time of certain young players. It’s not as though the roster is stocked with them, but figure Simon, linebacker Josh Martin and kick returner Nick Marshall will see more time than usual. Wide receiver Devin Smith, one year removed from major knee surgery, is expected to make his 2016 debut.

4. Niners are really bad, but ...:First-year coach Chip Kelly won his opener but hasn’t won since, an 11-game losing streak. His defense ranks at the bottom in many statistical categories and his offense has been held under 25 points in 10 consecutive games. The 49ers' leading receiver is Jeremy Kerley(43 catches), whom the Jets didn’t think was good enough. Kerley, who doesn’t think he was treated fairly in New York, will be looking for payback. The Jets’ nightmare scenario: Kerley beats Darrelle Revis for the winning touchdown. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick is coming off a bad game, but he actually played well for a stretch before that. His running ability will cause major problems for the Jets.

5. (Don’t) go West, young men: The Jets haven’t won a game on the West Coast since Jan. 24, 2010, their playoff victory over the San Diego Chargers. Since then, they’re 0-4. This is a tough spot for them, considering the short week and the cross-country travel. Don’t be surprised if they drop their fifth straight.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65503/realistic-expectations-for-jets-bryce-petty-growing-pains-then-progress

Pennington: Perfect Opportunity for Petty

Posted 23 hours ago

•  
  •  

Former Jets QB Wants to See Petty Take Command of the Offense

AP_503605075446-petty-thumb.jpg

Chad Pennington is excited to see how Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif handles his audition.  The former Jets QB believes the second-year passer can help his team win now and put his name into the conversation as the Jets’ potential 2017 starter.

“I think it’s a perfect opportunity for him to be able to throw his name in the pot for next season’s quarterback competition and conversation,” Pennington said during his weekly appearance on the EA Podcast. “There are four games here — three of them which I think anybody would say are extremely winnable games for the Jets, one that would certainly be a tough task into going into New England and beating the Cheaters. But it’s a great opportunity for him to show that he is worthy for being mentioned for competing for the Jets’ quarterback spot in 2017.”

Petty, who will make his second career start Sunday against San Francisco, has completed 54.2% of his passes with 2 TDs and 3 INTs in three appearance this year.

“His goals have to be that he shows he is in command of the offense, command of his footwork and decision making, and that he is accurate. That’s what I would be looking for,” Pennington said. “I would be looking for just offensive logistics, how my offense runs with him in the huddle. Is he an extension of the coach? Secondly where is his decision making? Is he making good decisions, is he avoiding disasters?  And third, is he hitting his targets?”

Pennington contends that accuracy is not solely reflected in completion percentage. Petty, who completed 19 of 32 passes in his first NFL start against the Rams, will have to connect on the throws that he is supposed to make.“Completion percentage to me is more about decision making. Accuracy is truly looking at the film pass-by-pass and seeing how accurate he is,” Pennington said. “Those are the questions that came out of the game for me about Bryce Petty and those are the questions I would have moving into the last four games to try to make a determination on those three questions.”

After Petty lamented that his feet and mind were not in sync during Monday’s contest against the Colts, Pennington talked about what that means for a quarterback.

“What I’ve seen when I have watched Bryce play is his footwork does not match with his mind and his footwork is not telling him okay I have stayed on this route too long. It’s time to move on whether running or finding my check down,” Pennington said. “He really has to develop that mental clock and that mental clock does not come from your head. It comes from your feet.  Your feet are what save you and remind you that I have spent too much time in this pocket or I have spent too much time on this specific route and I need to move on to my next option.”

AP_16341830588569-johndon-story.jpg

Learning the Ropes Together
With C Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif being placed on IR earlier this week, third-year player Wesley Johnsonicon-article-link.gif will replace him for the final quarter of the season. Johnson, who will start his fifth game of the season on Sunday, has already developed a form of chemistry with Petty. The two 25-year olds worked together throughout training camp and both started Week 10 against the Rams.

“It’s good,” Johnson said of their rapport. “I feel like we’re growing together. He’s becoming more comfortable as I’m becoming more comfortable.”

Archived