Todd Bowles explains (not really) why Sheldon Richardson didn't play | Cause for concern?

Ken Schroy

On 12/7/2016 at 9:11 AM, Ken Shroy said:

Todd Bowles explains (not really) why Sheldon Richardson didn't play | Cause for concern?  NJ.com Conner Hughes

Sheldon Richardson was surprisingly invisible in the Jets' humiliating 41-10 loss to the Colts. No really. He didn't show up on the stat sheet. The Pro Bowler in 2014 didn't have a single tackle (solo or assist), sack, forced fumble or anything else. He did have one personal foul penalty, but that's it. He refused to speak to the media after the game. It turns out, Richardson wasn't on the field much, either. He played just 60 percent of the defensive snaps. Why? "Just game plan," head coach Todd Bowles said. And what part of the game plan keeps one of the Jets' best players off the field?

"It was just the game plan," Bowles said again. Richardson, who turned 26 last month, entered this season with two years remaining on his rookie contract. He knew with a big year this season and next, he'd put himself in position to earn mega-money contract by either the Jets, or someone else. But instead of stringing together dominant performances, Richardson is in the midst of the worst season in his four-year career. In 11 games, he has just 44 tackles, 1.5 sacks and one fumble recovery. The game film paints an equally ugly picture: CzAocpUUcAAiz1R.jpg

As Richardson's dreadful year continues, it becomes increasingly more likely he is moved at the end of the season. This year proved the Jets can't play Richardson, along with fellow defensive ends Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams, all at the same time. Someone has to go. Wilkerson signed a five-year contract extension in July. Williams is the team's best player. Richardson is the odd man out, and the Jets already made attempts to trade him. If successful this offseason, they'll free $8.069 million. The issue? Richardson isn't improving his stock at all this year. He's not a hot commodity, but a player with more question marks than answers. He has two strikes on his record thanks to two NFL suspensions. While he denied it, a source told NJ Advance Media he's routinely late to meetings. Combine that with a decline in performance and a coach who's taking him out of the lineup for "game plan" reasons? It's not a good look for Richardson.

download.jpg

22 hours ago, JetPotato said:

I'd say Sheldon is the most overrated guy in the league, but then there's a guy name Wilkerson. Can we PLEASE stop calling these guys what they aren't? 

I will give Mo a pass this season due to his injury last season. Maybe he isn't in tip top shape, but I would give him another season to prove his worth before shipping him out. Richardson, Revis, Fitzpatrick, Clady and several others will be cut to make cap room. Mac should make a decision to a complete rebuild and none of this "staying competitive" with FA's who aren't worth their salt.

13 hours ago, SR24 said:

Richardson is a great talent he's been underused big time here, he's also a bonehead crybaby but in fairness to give an example of him being used wrong, There was a play vs the Cardinals where he was covering Larry Fitz lol. Our defense is a dumpster fire it all starts at the top. We need to move Wilk or Sheldon whichever one brings us back a higher pick

Even when he's being used correctly, he's not producing. This guy has been in the league 4 years now. He's a 5 sack/year guy. Those are a dime a dozen. I'm sick of hearing about "talent". Get me players that get results.

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Keep the 3 DL men together Mo-Sheldon-Williams hire a head coach who brings in a defensive coordinator that makes them a dominant force in the NFL like they should be. 

It's a waste, you need edge rushers too to win in the modern NFL. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I will give Mo a pass this season due to his injury last season. Maybe he isn't in tip top shape, but I would give him another season to prove his worth before shipping him out. Richardson, Revis, Fitzpatrick, Clady and several others will be cut to make cap room. Mac should make a decision to a complete rebuild and none of this "staying competitive" with FA's who aren't worth their salt.

I agree, but I believe the Jets can do both with the talent they will still have n the team once they purge the aging, overpaid vets. 

Revis, Clady, Breno, Harris, Fitz, Mangold. These guys take up a TON of cap space. The Jets can move on from Revis, Breno, Fitz and Mangold without much of a drop off in production (assuming they re-sign W.Johnson who is a RFA). Now, if they part ways with Clady and Harris as well, they will need to find replacements- which I think they could fairly easily. There are also guys like Marshall, Decker, Gilchrist, Skrine, etc. who may be worth re-structuring. If the Jets trade Richardson they should get a decent draft pick and free up even more cap. 

Having cleared a ton of cap just by moving on from these players, the Jets can UPGRADE a number of positions via FA. For example. Gilmore would be an upgrade over Revis. Kalil would be an upgrade over Clady who is injury prone. Putting Henderson (currently on the roster) at MLB would not be much of a drop off from Harris. But there are other MLBs available in FA that would probably be an upgrade. Fitz is the worst QB in the league and Breno is kind of a waste of space.

You take the money you free up and you re-invest it in guys you think will be around for a while and make an immediate impact. The Jets will also have high draft picks, giving them a top of options to address positions of need in the draft.   

I think you throw a ton of money at J.Collins from the Browns. An elite pass rush OLB who is a solid run defender and in his prime right now. I'm sure Hoodie would love to see the guy he refused to give an extension to b/c it was too rich for his blood on the Jets sacking his 40yr old Golden Boy.

I think you go hard after a guy like T.Johnson of S.Gilmore to give some stability to the CB position. I believe if the Jets had a somewhat decent #1 and put Skrine in the slot, they could turn around that secondary fairly quickly. I have high hopes for Burris and there is some very nice talent at CB coming out in this year's draft.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Even when he's being used correctly, he's not producing. This guy has been in the league 4 years now. He's a 5 sack/year guy. Those are a dime a dozen. I'm sick of hearing about "talent". Get me players that get results.

Nah.  The last time he played a full season at his real position, he got 8 sacks.  Last year, he missed time and then played out of position.  The same thing this year.  We haven't seen the real Sheldon Richardson since 2014.  There are some self-inflicted wounds there from immaturity, but Bowles is destroying the kid's career.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He had a good motor, a very good one unfortunately he is now following in the footsteps of his lazy ass teammate that just got paid.  He was pretty terrible that last game for the snaps he played.

I know I'm being harsh because the guy has tremendous talent but to me his character is getting worse and worse and I think he is totally a prime candidate for checking out or getting into real trouble once he gets a big contract.  He is being outplayed each game by a 22 year old guy in Williams and Richardson should be making at least as much if not more of an impact.

One thing I will give him a total pass on is that fact that his talents are being wasted the way our coaches are using him most often.

As I mentioned in the post above, we haven't seen the real Richardson since 2014.  I remember after the second Patriots game that year, Fatcessa was raving about how the Pats couldn't block him.  He's a great talent.  Wilkerson appears to excel against weak offensive lines and backups.  Richardson, on the other hand, has the ability to make plays against anyone.

24 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Nah.  The last time he played a full season at his real position, he got 8 sacks.  Last year, he missed time and then played out of position.  The same thing this year.  We haven't seen the real Sheldon Richardson since 2014.  There are some self-inflicted wounds there from immaturity, but Bowles is destroying the kid's career.

Excuses. Tired of those too. I could put JJ Watt at cornerback and he'd have more than 8 sacks. Sheldon averages 5 per 16 games over 4 seasons. It's cute that you think 8 sacks is a lot, though. 8 for a whole season. Right now, if you have 8 through 12 games, it doesn't even put you in the top 10 in the league. Doesn't put you in the top 20 for 2015 or 2014. Don't bother with "he's not supposed to get sacks at his position" Enough. You can't compare him to Watt, Avril, Ford, Mack, Hunter, Wake. I don't want to hear non-sense that he "holds the edge" (as if that's how you define a star) or is stout against the run in a league where teams throw 50 times a game. Only in the minds of Jets fans is Sheldon Richardson a star DE. He's a moron off the field, and he's an average player on it. Addition by subtraction.

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Move up? I think we're going to be in the top three - Browns, Bears then us

Sorry, I meant move up in 2018 as I am not sure there is a QB (yet) in 2017 I would want. Right now we are #4, but I wouldn't put it past us to win a game or 2 and move up to #5 or #6

22 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What a ******* mess.

I'm kind of a huge fan of Bowles speak. Why didn't you play Sheldon? Because that was the gameplan. OK, but why? Because it was. Why was the plan to start Petty the last 4 weeks? Because that was our plan. Why? Because it was. It's like watching a grown man pretend to be a 5-year-old every week.

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Sorry, I meant move up in 2018 as I am not sure there is a QB (yet) in 2017 I would want. Right now we are #4, but I wouldn't put it past us to win a game or 2 and move up to #5 or #6

At this point I hope not. Actually, I would want to knock Rex out of the playoffs on the last game if that is the situation. But that's it.

9 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Excuses. Tired of those too. I could put JJ Watt at cornerback and he'd have more than 8 sacks. Sheldon averages 5 per 16 games over 4 seasons. It's cute that you think 8 sacks is a lot, though. 8 for a whole season. Right now, if you have 8 through 12 games, it doesn't even put you in the top 10 in the league. Doesn't put you in the top 20 for 2015 or 2014. Don't bother with "he's not supposed to get sacks at his position" Enough. You can't compare him to Watt, Avril, Ford, Mack, Hunter, Wake. I don't want to hear non-sense that he "holds the edge" (as if that's how you define a star) or is stout against the run in a league where teams throw 50 times a game. Only in the minds of Jets fans is Sheldon Richardson a star DE. He's a moron off the field, and he's an average player on it. Addition by subtraction.

Absolute bullsh*t.

Which other team would put a 300 pound lineman at OLB?  Also, using sacks as a measure of an inside player's effectiveness is ridiculous.  Aaron Donald only has 6 sacks this year and that guy is better and more disruptive than everyone you named besides Watt.  And everyone you named is an edge rusher.  Inside players like Suh, McCoy, Donald, etc. are disruptive but don't get the same sack numbers because of the nature of the position. 

Warren Sapp wasn't a consistent double digit sack guy, but he was DISRUPTIVE.

10 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Absolute bullsh*t.

Which other team would put a 300 pound lineman at OLB?  Also, using sacks as a measure of an inside player's effectiveness is ridiculous.  Aaron Donald only has 6 sacks this year and that guy is better and more disruptive than everyone you named besides Watt.  And everyone you named is an edge rusher.  Inside players like Suh, McCoy, Donald, etc. are disruptive but don't get the same sack numbers because of the nature of the position. 

Warren Sapp wasn't a consistent double digit sack guy, but he was DISRUPTIVE.

Sheldon Richardson is not disruptive, either. No matter where you place him on the field, he isn't playing at the star level some Jets fans believe him to be. He's simply not one.

Richardson is pissed about no surprise tho waste of his talent playing him at olb 

“I don’t care about stats,” Richardson said. “That’s for y’all to write about and glorify people about. I’ve been asked to play linebacker, asked to do a lot of stuff on this team, some of the trash work on it. I don’t get a lot of stats, so it just is what it is.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-dl-sheldon-richardson-miffed-reduced-snap-count-article-1.2903666

Archived