Clady         $10 million 

Revis         $ 6 million 

Mangold   $9.075 million 

Marshall   $7.5 million 

Harris       $6.5 million 

Breno      $4.5 million 

Sheldon $8.069 million 

Gilchrist  $2.75 million 

Think it's safe to say Breno is gone. Clady wont be back for $10M - maybe we can get him for a discount.  I'd imagine Revis will be shown the door as well.  Mangold would be a tough cut for the fanbase, but a smart move to make. The problem is you're then potentially replacing 3 OL in a single offseason. (And Winters is a FA)

Harris might stick - he's the leader of the defense, for better or worse. Sheldon wont be cut. Maybe traded.

Gilchrist actually saves $4.6M so I think he goes.  Erin Henderson (remember him?) is $2.75 so he wont be back. Folk at $3M is another option.

Revis would be $8 Million since he won't receive his roster bonus, and I don't understand how Breno was kept around this season let alone next.  

Gilchrist is $5.4 Million savings.

I would extend Richardson.  JMO.

I would keep Marshall around unless we can pick up his replacement in free agency.  

The flexibility will be a bright spot in attracting a coach. But I wonder how a new coach would view many of these players. It is nice that even if he would want to keep some of them he should be able to get them at a discount.

The problem is you still have to find people to play those positions and you're going to have to find most of them in FA - which means you'll be paying a lot.

I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be cut but it's not as easy as saying - hey let's cut these guys and we can go on a spending spree....

You can't go into FA with out a legitimate starting tackle on the roster.

Truth is this team is in disastrous shape...They have too many holes to even contemplate what to do and not enough draft picks or cap space to come close to making this team competitive.

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The problem is you still have to find people to play those positions and you're going to have to find most of them in FA - which means you'll be paying a lot.

I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be cut but it's not as easy as saying - hey let's cut these guys and we can go on a spending spree....

Truth is this team is in disastrous shape...They have too many holes to even contemplate what to do and not enough draft picks or cap space to come close to making this team competitive.

True, but it's about time to start over with young guys... This town will accept a rebuild as long as we feel the right coach and front man are doing the rebuild. Like I said I'm for keeping Macc, but Bowles has to go. Lastly Woody, needs to let go for 5 years at the very least. Let football men handle the show. Your stadium will get filled if your team excels...Hire the right President of Football operations and go to England and be our US Ambas....

1 hour ago, hawk said:

Revis would be $8 Million since he won't receive his roster bonus, and I don't understand how Breno was kept around this season let alone next.  

Gilchrist is $5.4 Million savings.

I would extend Richardson.  JMO.

I would keep Marshall around unless we can pick up his replacement in free agency.  

Draft Mike Williams. Bye bye Marshall.

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree and its one of the reasons I think there is a strong case to bring in a new coach. I have said this before - but the last time I have seen this many good veterans go to a team and play so poorly was the 95-96 Jets.

I am all for releasing guys that aren't performing and reducing the cap. Just remember, these guys (except Clady) are starters and will need to be replaced. They will be replaced by vets (which will cost money), draft picks, or FA; I would prefer to build for the future with the draft, but these guys are going to cost draft picks (and we only have so many picks) and they are going to make rookie mistakes. Some of the guys used to be pro-bowlers, so you aren't replacing them all with high picks.

The point is that we have to get young and better, but it isn't like they are going to get replaced in one year with guys who are going to kick butt. Sometimes you need to find a replacement before dropping them. Sometimes you have to suffer through growing pains.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Clady         $10 million - had success in a zone blocking scheme. We run a power blocking scheme.

Revis         $ 6 million had success in man with a pass rush. Plays 8 yards off when its man, playing more zone than ever. Was never a good zone corner. Zero pass rush.

Mangold   $9.075 million - See Clady. Not a power blocker and looks like he has put on weight. Used to be agile and good fit for Zone blocking

Marshall   $7.5 million - Has played well

Harris       $6.5 million - DL is not keeping him clean anymore. Doesn't fit this scheme well.

Breno      $4.5 million - Useless

Sheldon $8.069 million - Will get 12 sack in a 4-3 as a 3 technique. System doesnt fit him

Gilchrist  $2.75 million - Not sure what he has ever done well. Seems lost this year in coverage.

These are my opinions on these players. If a new coach comes in many if not all of these guys can be kept, perhaps even at a discount.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Clady         $10 million 

Revis         $ 6 million 

Mangold   $9.075 million 

Marshall   $7.5 million 

Harris       $6.5 million 

Breno      $4.5 million 

Sheldon $8.069 million 

Gilchrist  $2.75 million 

all except marshall.  the guy is a horse and he does come to play. revis will be a 6m cap hit and a 9m cap reflief if he's cut.

other moves might be to trade wilk and pryor. sign winters

Sheldon will be traded.

The only cut I have a problem with would be Brandon Marshall. I want our next QB (Vet or rookie) to have talent to throw the ball to. Marshall wants to be here and has been great for this team. I l want to see Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, and Anderson all on the field next year to help make things easier for our next QB.

5 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Think it's safe to say Breno is gone. Clady wont be back for $10M - maybe we can get him for a discount.  I'd imagine Revis will be shown the door as well.  Mangold would be a tough cut for the fanbase, but a smart move to make. The problem is you're then potentially replacing 3 OL in a single offseason. (And Winters is a FA)

Harris might stick - he's the leader of the defense, for better or worse. Sheldon wont be cut. Maybe traded.

Gilchrist actually saves $4.6M so I think he goes.  Erin Henderson (remember him?) is $2.75 so he wont be back. Folk at $3M is another option.

"leader of the defense."

What defense?

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

all except marshall.  the guy is a horse and he does come to play. revis will be a 6m cap hit and a 9m cap reflief if he's cut.

other moves might be to trade wilk and pryor. sign winters

I would not mind keeping Marshall, if he would just shut up about his QB preference.  He obviously missed the mark with Fitz.

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You can fill them with third tier FA, undrafted FA and draft picks. None of those categories will create a big dropoff in performance. We have a lot of very highly paid old players and complete JAGs. As far as I am concerned we should never sign a Tier1 FA again. They are almost universally not worth it.

Archived