The petty audition

kevinc855

So petty is in for 4 games. What numbers does he need to put up to get the job in 17? Decisions will need to be made shortly after the season ends with pending free agency (cutler and romo) and of course draft although I do not believe the jets will draft a qb this year. The one thing we need to avoid is a qb controversy heading into September. With that said what do you all need to see from petty to win the job so we can focus the draft and free agency on the other position needs??

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think "numbers" will have anything to do with it.  It'll be about his overall performance.  Does he look like a legitimate NFL starting QB? It's an eye test not a numbers test - wins or losses won't even matter.

I personally think they've already made up their minds about him and he's getting cut..and they WILL draft another QB.

Veteran, Hack and new draft pick...that's the 3 next year. 

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think "numbers" will have anything to do with it.  It'll be about his overall performance.  Does he look like a legitimate NFL starting QB? It's an eye test not a numbers test - wins or losses won't even matter.

I personally think they've already made up their minds about him and he's getting cut..and they WILL draft another QB.

That would be a complete mistake.... This kid has something, not sure yet but there's just a feeling you get sometimes. Don't get me wrong he's got work to do, but if he gets the chance to do that work and he can be trained by the right coaches, I think he will be something special in his own right.

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

That would be a complete mistake.... This kid has something, not sure yet but there's just a feeling you get sometimes. Don't get me wrong he's got work to do, but if he gets the chance to do that work and he can be trained by the right coaches, I think he will be something special in his own right.

I tend to agree. Frankly, with a little more experience under his belt he may already be better than Bortles, LOL

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

A petty has certainly been off in his debuts but another bridge qb?? Who? Romo prob hits Denver cutler stays in Chicago then who? 

This coaching staff is doing both the rooks an injustice. Not saying they should have both started as rookies, but Petty this year should have gotten most of the season the way our season has gone. What would it have hurt after like 6 loses... 

I think he can be on the team.  I can see a veteran and another draft pick.   I see this as a team wtih 4 QBs until they can say that one of the them is a confirmed started.  This is not a playoff team until then-they don't need the extra TE or CB.

He has to make a lot of good throws both long and short (show some touch), his arm is his calling card.

He has to show some Qb instincts in pocket and when being rushed.  He won't be perfect but will he actually throw the ball away at the right time?  Guys like Wilson and Prescott showed almost from say one that they would throw the ball away when called for.

He cannot turn it over often at all.

He doesn't need wins though that would help, he doesn't need certain stats he has to show enough to not eliminate himself from the discussion next year.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Let's face it.  The team will lie down around him.  They have been doing it all year.  He will probably get hurt like he did pre season.  This team has no balls.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He was a 3-4 year project when they drafted him, because his college didn't even have a playbook or read a defense. He'll be on the roster next year because he clearly has potential.

This is an audition for the starting job. Even if he sucks he isn't getting cut next year. 

I see these type of statements thrown around often when it comes to spread QB's, IMO opinion that's a fallacy. To play QB you need natural ability, instincts and physical tools.

The mental/playbook aspect can be learned through film study and classroom work. QB's with natural gifts like Petty and Hack can blossom quickly under the right tutelage. I trust Gailey knows what he's doing , but I must question the rest of the CS in their approach with our youngsters. The fact that these guys are being talked about as multi year projects screams of incompetence on the Jets staff.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

So petty is in for 4 games. What numbers does he need to put up to get the job in 17? Decisions will need to be made shortly after the season ends with pending free agency (cutler and romo) and of course draft although I do not believe the jets will draft a qb this year. The one thing we need to avoid is a qb controversy heading into September. With that said what do you all need to see from petty to win the job so we can focus the draft and free agency on the other position needs??

The one thing that's inevitable is that we'll have a QB controversy starting next year.  And if there's *not* a QB competition next summer - then we're just being stupid.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I see these type of statements thrown around often when it comes to spread QB's, IMO opinion that's a fallacy. To play QB you need natural ability, instincts and physical tools.

The mental/playbook aspect can be learned through film study and classroom work. QB's with natural gifts like Petty and Hack can blossom quickly under the right tutelage. I trust Gailey knows what he's doing , but I must question the rest of the CS in their approach with our youngsters. The fact that these guys are being talked about as multi year projects screams of incompetence on the Jets staff.

You have your opinion. But I think it is important to realize that Baylor's spread more than other systems takes responsibility, decision-making, and pre snap reads out of the quarterbacks hands. 

Even with that said, it takes all players different timetables to be ready. Kirk Cousins another 4th round pick, came from a pro system at Michigan St. Wasn't ready to start until his 4th year (last year) played well, but not enough for the team to throw franchise $ at him. It wasn't until his 5th year (this season) that light has seemed to really come on.

Its always tough to guess how long it will take a guy to develop, if at all. But they did draft Petty with the idea that they knew he could be a good backup (which is an underrated commodity to fans) and anything about him becoming a starter would be him overachieving. 

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You have your opinion. But I think it is important to realize that Baylor's spread more than other systems takes responsibility, decision-making, and pre snap reads out of the quarterbacks hands. 

Even with that said, it takes all players different timetables to be ready. Kirk Cousins another 4th round pick, came from a pro system at Michigan St. Wasn't ready to start until his 4th year (last year) played well, but not enough for the team to throw franchise $ at him. It wasn't until his 5th year (this season) that light has seemed to really come on.

Its always tough to guess how long it will take a guy to develop, if at all. But they did draft Petty with the idea that they knew he could be a good backup (which is an underrated commodity to fans) and anything about him becoming a starter would be him overachieving. 

For me its all about adapting the teams style to the QB's skillset, ie the right system for the QB. Qb's often struggle with new systems but its because coaches are stubborn and inflexible and think too myopically.

I can't see him getting considered the starter next year after four more games - even if he plays very well, and there's a QB in the draft we really like, you don't pass because "well, Petty might work out, and there's Hack ...". So I don't see Petty's play altering our draft strategy at all.

Similarly I don't see him getting cut if he struggles - we'll need 4 guys going into camp next year (Petty, Hack, vet, rookie most likely). The next four games might determine where he sits in that list, but the earliest they'd cut him would be after camp IMO.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

For me its all about adapting the teams style to the QB's skillset, ie the right system for the QB. Qb's often struggle with new systems but its because coaches are stubborn and inflexible and think too myopically.

You make a really goid point about tailoring a system to fit the player. Luckily, Gailey's system is set up for spread. Lets hope this kid or Hackenberg can put it together.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

You make a really goid point about tailoring a system to fit the player. Luckily, Gailey's system is set up for spread. Lets hope this kid or Hackenberg can put it together.

This is such a great point. Petty made 2 throws that night that Fitx can't even make throwing it OVER THE TOP of the defense. Especially that one where Anderson extended & caught it. Keep in mind to that the WRs will get more comfortable with the velocity which Petty throws with ala Brett Favre & will adjust their routes accordingly. WRs will know they have to RUN TO THE BALL with Petty, not slow down, which should allow for more YAC. I thought Petty looked pretty damn good when he felt comfortable & let it rip. I guarantee you we get a lot more PI & holding calls!

He's got the physical tools he's just going to need to learn how to read defenses.  Just throwing it as hard as you can is not gonna work very long.  Regardless, I don't think there's anything Petty can do to make himself the clear cut starter next year.  I think best case scenario for him is he plays well enough to compete with Hack and a Vet./Draft pick to start next year,

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

He's got the physical tools he's just going to need to learn how to read defenses.  Just throwing it as hard as you can is not gonna work very long.  Regardless, I don't think there's anything Petty can do to make himself the clear cut starter next year.  I think best case scenario for him is he plays well enough to compete with Hack and a Vet./Draft pick to start next year,

Again something that drives me nuts - its a young QB so its assumed he can't read a defense.  Does anyone here know what the playcalls were in the 2nd half Monday night , do we know what the route trees and progressions were on all these calls. I see people saying this because he threw a lot to Robbie Anderson , who he probably had the most work with of all our receivers i find that a bit lazy.

I know there's that one guy here who usually breaks down our offensive plays , I'd like to see what it shows for Pettys 2nd half performance.

Definitely a matter of passing the eye test as opposed to his stats.  The team has already quit on the coach, so there aren't a lot of motivated players left to elevate the kid.  He just has to show some good and improving football IQ every game.  That's what I'm looking for.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again something that drives me nuts - its a young QB so its assumed he can't read a defense.  Does anyone here know what the playcalls were in the 2nd half Monday night , do we know what the route trees and progressions were on all these calls. I see people saying this because he threw a lot to Robbie Anderson , who he probably had the most work with of all our receivers i find that a bit lazy.

I know there's that one guy here who usually breaks down our offensive plays , I'd like to see what it shows for Pettys 2nd half performance.

Look at the two picks he threw, that's a prime example of not know how to read defenses well. Doesn't matter though b/c it's impossible to judge him off Monday night, the team was down big, he had no first team reps in practice and was basically just in there to air it out without much of a game plan.  Did you hear Gruden?  He said that at Baylor he didn't even have a playbook.  The guys a raw talent which is why he was a 4th rd. pick.

30 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I can't see him getting considered the starter next year after four more games - even if he plays very well, and there's a QB in the draft we really like, you don't pass because "well, Petty might work out, and there's Hack ...". So I don't see Petty's play altering our draft strategy at all.

Similarly I don't see him getting cut if he struggles - we'll need 4 guys going into camp next year (Petty, Hack, vet, rookie most likely). The next four games might determine where he sits in that list, but the earliest they'd cut him would be after camp IMO.

Agreed, I don't think he can do enough in 4 games to make the Jets only go with him and Hack. Having said that, I'm no longer a supporter of carrying 4 QBs. I understood why they did it this year but knowing more about how little work and attention the 3rd and 4th QB get (Hack has only had Practice Squad reps) I just don't see any practical worth in carrying 4. It seems to give the 4th QB no chance to do anything of note or develop.

Just my opinion though as I'm disappointed Hack isn't at least further along at this point because of lack of attention to him.

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Look at the two picks he threw, that's a prime example of not know how to read defenses well. Doesn't matter though b/c it's impossible to judge him off Monday night, the team was down big, he had no first team reps in practice and was basically just in there to air it out without much of a game plan.  Did you hear Gruden?  He said that at Baylor he didn't even have a playbook.  The guys a raw talent which is why he was a 4th rd. pick.

I agree Monday's night performance shows nothing other than his physical tools. Let's see a full week gameplan and playing on the road . I really want to see how Chan and the CS approach this game from an offensive standpoint.

He was a raw talent coming into the draft, now he's either an underdeveloped talent or he proves over the next 4 games he's learned the system and just needs reps.

8 minutes ago, The Walrus said:

Agreed, I don't think he can do enough in 4 games to make the Jets only go with him and Hack. Having said that, I'm no longer a supporter of carrying 4 QBs. I understood why they did it this year but knowing more about how little work and attention the 3rd and 4th QB get (Hack has only had Practice Squad reps) I just don't see any practical worth in carrying 4. It seems to give the 4th QB no chance to do anything of note or develop.

Just my opinion though as I'm disappointed Hack isn't at least further along at this point because of lack of attention to him.

By being on the roster Hack was able to attend all team activities and classroom work - that could be a big advantage if the Jets dedicated some time to him.

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I have to agree, it was obvious he was having fun out there and he showed confidence. He didn't have that deer in the headlights look. He has a lot to prove, but I am happy he will get the rest of the season to prove what he is made of.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

By being on the roster Hack was able to attend all team activities and classroom work - that could be a big advantage if the Jets dedicated some time to him.

True, that's a very good point. Absord the material this year could be the making of him down the track and doing it from a position of 4th QB with little pressure has allowed that.

I think what will be important is that he gets a little better every game. Get his timing down improve on pocket presence. Don't expect too much. This kid is good. He can be a starter in the NFL. But most will be super critical here. Heck Eli Manning still throws stupid INT's and so do other Franchise QBs. We will have some sort of QB controversy next year or they wouldn't be the Jets. I just hope they don't go out and get Romo or Cutler or Kap. Wouldn't mind seeing Glennon though.

To lock the starter position Petty has to come in and play extremely well at least three of four games. I can't see Macc deciding Petty was kinda okay and feel content letting him go into the 2017 as the starter.

The realistic goal for Petty should be to remain in the discussion for the starter position next offseason. He likely will not play well enough to deprive Macc of any interest in bringing in another QB to compete (either FA or draft) but needs to play well enough that he a serious contender for the starting job. Otherwise he's probably relegated to the third string or cut. 

My biggest fear for Petty is that Gailey will do to him in the next four games the same thing they did in the Rams game and he'll look like trash.

My take, Petty plays well, he competes next year for starting gig with the veteran they bring in. If he plays ok, relegated to backup with understanding veteran must start. If he stinks it up, CUT. One thing is for certain, these are biggest 4 games of the young mans life.

24 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

My take, Petty plays well, he competes next year for starting gig with the veteran they bring in. If he plays ok, relegated to backup with understanding veteran must start. If he stinks it up, CUT. One thing is for certain, these are biggest 4 games of the young mans life.

My guess is Petty plays ok. Jets fan deride him as nothing special, JAG, waste of a pick and he is released another team picks him up and he plays well going to a pro bowl and some of the same folks deriding him now will be complaining how the Jets blew it!! ☺️

The kid has a big arm for sure.  They need to work that into the game plan.  What I want to see is a kid that isn't afraid to fail knowing he is starting the next 4 games no matter what as long as he's healthy.  All it will take for me to get excited is a 3 TD, 0 INT game regardless of whether the team wins or loses.  Also, I want to see him be mentally strong enough to fight back after turning the ball over, which he will do as a project with no experience.  It will be worth watching and that is something to say for a 3 win team.

Archived