The petty audition

kevinc855

The thing i love most about Petty is the kids got balls. He loves throwing the deep ball and hes pretty good at it, drops have been killing him and he also has made some bad decisions. Hes a rookie though its expected, Hopefully Gailey calls a pass heavy game and lets him air it out.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

So petty is in for 4 games. What numbers does he need to put up to get the job in 17? Decisions will need to be made shortly after the season ends with pending free agency (cutler and romo) and of course draft although I do not believe the jets will draft a qb this year. The one thing we need to avoid is a qb controversy heading into September. With that said what do you all need to see from petty to win the job so we can focus the draft and free agency on the other position needs??

Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy, limited or no bad turnovers, can he get and stay in rhythm (how often is the ball coming out when his back foot hits). By the end of the 4 weeks is he able to change anything at the line?

Petty MUST improve his accuracy. He really had some off-target ducks but I expect him to do better after a week with the 1s and getting the majority of the reps. 

Also Brandon Marshall had an interesting observation on Petty:

"Bryce Petty, the Jets' new starting QB, has come a long way in a year. Brandon Marshall said Petty was "fat and overweight last year," adding that Ryan Fitzpatrick "picked on him all year" in a good-natured way. Now? "His body has changed," Marshall said. "He's ripped up. He has abs."

I think its about wins and losses. If he goes 2-2 or better he will make a strong argument for bringing in another rookie and giving Petty a chance to start next season. If he is worse than 2-2 get ready for Fitz Cutler or Gleenon.

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

By being on the roster Hack was able to attend all team activities and classroom work - that could be a big advantage if the Jets dedicated some time to him.

You made so many good posts on this thread, my compliments to you.

Still boggles my mind that they have decided to wait until the offseason, to tweak Hack's mechanics. I know the coaching staff has tried to explain why, but I just can't grasp it. 

One minute they're telling us that Hack doesn't get many reps in practice. (Wouldn't it then be a good time to work with someone to fine tune his motion?)

Next minute they're telling us, that with the collective bargaining agreement, they are somewhat limited in how much the coaching  staff can interact with the players during the offseason. 

Sounds like they really won't start working on it with him until next Spring. 

Glad he has been able to attend the meetings, and learn in a professional environment. I just think they should be doing more NOW with him.

8 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

You made so many good posts on this thread, my compliments to you.

Still boggles my mind that they have decided to wait until the offseason, to tweak Hack's mechanics. I know the coaching staff has tried to explain why, but I just can't grasp it. 

One minute they're telling us that Hack doesn't get many reps in practice. (Wouldn't it then be a good time to work with someone to fine tune his motion?)

Next minute they're telling us, that with the collective bargaining agreement, they are somewhat limited in how much the coaching  staff can interact with the players during the offseason. 

Sounds like they really won't start working on it with him until next Spring. 

Glad he has been able to attend the meetings, and learn in a professional environment. I just think they should be doing more NOW with him.

To be honest I feel his best bet is to work with a  QB guru in the offseason. I'd like to believe that the CS and front office has someone lined up to mentor and school Hack who are lockstep in what Gailey's offensive approach is . If that isn't happening its just gross negligence on the Jets part.

11 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Accuracy, accuracy, accuracy, limited or no bad turnovers, can he get and stay in rhythm (how often is the ball coming out when his back foot hits). By the end of the 4 weeks is he able to change anything at the line?

To me that's the key part. Is he grasping the mental aspect of the game. I'd prefer he limit the turnovers , but I'd be much more forgiving of them from him. A gunslinger is going to throw picks, but if their due to bad reads or confusion that's less tolerable.

10 hours ago, RSJ said:

I think its about wins and losses. If he goes 2-2 or better he will make a strong argument for bringing in another rookie and giving Petty a chance to start next season. If he is worse than 2-2 get ready for Fitz Cutler or Gleenon.

See I disagree completely.... This defense is giving up way to many points to put wins and loses on this kids shoulders. What I want to see and I'm sure most will agree is decision making, does it get better ???,  accuracy, does it get better ???, and most of all does he command the game and not look overwhelmed by it. He's a rook, so remember he will make mistakes... does he learn and get better is the key.

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

See I disagree completely.... This defense is giving up way to many points to put wins and loses on this kids shoulders. What I want to see and I'm sure most will agree is decision making, does it get better ???,  accuracy, does it get better ???, and most of all does he command the game and not look overwhelmed by it. He's a rook, so remember he will make mistakes... does he learn and get better is the key.

Yeah I think the defense should play better if the offense can sustain drives.I do want to see Petty anticipate throws and see the field well. If he does those things this team should be able to beat SF and Buf

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think "numbers" will have anything to do with it.  It'll be about his overall performance.  Does he look like a legitimate NFL starting QB? It's an eye test not a numbers test - wins or losses won't even matter.

I personally think they've already made up their minds about him and he's getting cut..and they WILL draft another QB.

Veteran, Hack and new draft pick...that's the 3 next year. 

Petty has worked a lot with Fitz in the offseason and it still doesn't show in real time action. Inaccurate, especially on deep balls. Should have had 3 TD's the way Anderson was getting open deep and twice he missed him by a bunch. I think you are right and Petty probably will be cut. You can't have two 'developmental' QB's on the roster and clearly they like Hack better since they drafted him higher.

16 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Look at the two picks he threw, that's a prime example of not know how to read defenses well. Doesn't matter though b/c it's impossible to judge him off Monday night, the team was down big, he had no first team reps in practice and was basically just in there to air it out without much of a game plan.  Did you hear Gruden?  He said that at Baylor he didn't even have a playbook.  The guys a raw talent which is why he was a 4th rd. pick.

Those picks didn't bother me much at all.  The first one was a mild overthrow that wen to a safety sitting behind the play.  It was the kind of thing you expect with a guy that hasn't played or practiced much with the WRs.    The 2nd one was fairly horrible, but was the kind of coverage you expect rookies (okay, 2nd year inexperienced stiff QBs) to get suckered by.  IIRC the player that got the pick was on the slot WR (I thought it was an LB, but I guess not) he released the slot and drifted to the flat.  Anderson was running a comeback and did not get in front of him.  It could be getting suckered by the coverage or not being on the same page as the WR as to when he will get to the spot and where the spot is. 

The thing that struck me as odd (or maybe impressive) was how many times he had Anderson open deep.  You'd have to assume the Colts would be looking to keep the ball in front of them and let the clock run out without getting hurt, but Anderson kept getting behind them.  Didn't amount to much, but I was still surprised.  

4 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Petty has worked a lot with Fitz in the offseason and it still doesn't show in real time action. Inaccurate, especially on deep balls. Should have had 3 TD's the way Anderson was getting open deep and twice he missed him by a bunch. I think you are right and Petty probably will be cut. You can't have two 'developmental' QB's on the roster and clearly they like Hack better since they drafted him higher.

Fitzpatrick was going to show him how to throw the deep ball?  Those misses were probably based as much on Anderson and a lack of work as "inaccuracy".  Deep balls involve a lot of WR adjustment which is why I don't get excited about guys completing them.  It is the rip to the out and over the middle that require accuracy.

I think that regardless of what numbers Petty puts up over the last 4 games he won't outright secure the '17 starting job. He'll be in a competition for the '17 starting job (most likely against Geno Smith or possibly TB's Glennon) or a QB will be brought in with a price tag that makes them the starter upon signing. With that said, the kid's gotta complete 60+% of his passes, average around 7 yards per attempt, combat blitzes effectively, and not turn the ball over in order to be taken seriously.

I'm seeing a lot of replies to this thread saying that next year will be a Veteran, Petty, and Hack. That Vet is gonna be....Geno Smith.

13 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I think that regardless of what numbers Petty puts up over the last 4 games he won't outright secure the '17 starting job. He'll be in a competition for the '17 starting job (most likely against Geno Smith or possibly TB's Glennon) or a QB will be brought in with a price tag that makes them the starter upon signing. With that said, the kid's gotta complete 60+% of his passes, average around 7 yards per attempt, combat blitzes effectively, and not turn the ball over in order to be taken seriously.

I'm seeing a lot of replies to this thread saying that next year will be a Veteran, Petty, and Hack. That Vet is gonna be....Geno Smith.

As much as I'd want it to be I think Geno will not be brought back. 

21 hours ago, jack48 said:

Let's face it.  The team will lie down around him.  They have been doing it all year.  He will probably get hurt like he did pre season.  This team has no balls.

B******T. 

I have seen no signs of the offense quitting. At all. There have been some drops, there has been some bad QB play (mostly Fitz but Petty too). There has been underwhelming O-line play (lets not forget Mangold, Clady and Qvale have been out). But the effort (even from vet RB Forte), has been there across the board. At least on offense.

The defense on the other hand seems to have no identity or direction. They constantly find themselves out of position. And I think it is all on the coaching. You can argue that the leaders have quit- Harris, Sheldon, Wilk, Revis. But I see no quit in guys like Lee, Pryor, Jenkins, Simon, Roberts, L.Williams, Milez, McLendon. Those guys are still playing their butts off. And if you can;t get your vet leaders to play. To be professionals. To lead. That is either on you as a coach or said veteran players need to be showed the door ASAP. And I think its the former of the two (although the writing is on the wall for Revis, Sheldon and Harris- who will probably all be gone next year).    

Petty does not need to concern himself with the team around him quitting b/c the players on offense will be playing their butts off for him. Especially the young WRs and O-linemen set to hit FA (Winters, Ijalana, W.Johnson). Forte is a class act and so is Marshall- both will continue to bust their butts. There is no quit in Powell. Petty needs to concern himself with playing smart football, not turning the ball over, making the right decisions, maintaining drives- all of which leads to the end goal- producing points. 

there was this theory among Jets fans that Bowles was an idiot when it comes to QB's and that he had these really great options on the bench but he was holding them back. Petty's play vs IND and LA should put that theory to bed. Petty is not a starter right now and he's barely a backup. Fitz is terrible, but he's always been the best QB on this roster, and that's more on Mac than Bowles. All Bowles can do is make do what he's given.

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there was this theory among Jets fans that Bowles was an idiot when it comes to QB's and that he had these really great options on the bench but he was holding them back. Petty's play vs IND and LA should put that theory to bed. Petty is not a starter right now and he's barely a backup. Fitz is terrible, but he's always been the best QB on this roster, and that's more on Mac than Bowles. All Bowles can do is make do what he's given.

Think you're dead wrong about Petty, but I guess we'll see. Like everything JETS we'll not play or develop the right people on our roster and they'll leave to have productive careers elsewhere.... He's already better then Fitz...

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Think you're dead wrong about Petty, but I guess we'll see. Like everything JETS we'll not play or develop the right people on our roster and they'll leave to have productive careers elsewhere.... He's already better then Fitz...

I actually like Petty but by what standard is he better than Fitz?

Just now, bitonti said:

I actually like Petty but by what standard is he better than Fitz?

There is no standard yet, it's just a feeling. I'm no expert. I just have a feeling and yes it's my opinion and not some scientific fact. 

21 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I see these type of statements thrown around often when it comes to spread QB's, IMO opinion that's a fallacy. To play QB you need natural ability, instincts and physical tools.

The mental/playbook aspect can be learned through film study and classroom work. QB's with natural gifts like Petty and Hack can blossom quickly under the right tutelage. I trust Gailey knows what he's doing , but I must question the rest of the CS in their approach with our youngsters. The fact that these guys are being talked about as multi year projects screams of incompetence on the Jets staff.

The problem is that both of these players seem to struggle with accuracy.  That's something that I'm not so sure will improve.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

The problem is that both of these players seem to struggle with accuracy.  That's something that I'm not so sure will improve.

Based off what 6 quarters for Petty and 0 live action for Hack. You can throw the college stats out the window because its like comparing apples and grapefruit.

Is it possible they'll have accuracy issues - certainly . Can this be judged by their small NFL sample size to date - absolutely not.

9 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

To me that's the key part. Is he grasping the mental aspect of the game. I'd prefer he limit the turnovers , but I'd be much more forgiving of them from him. A gunslinger is going to throw picks, but if their due to bad reads or confusion that's less tolerable.

Agree, you can add short term memory to the list

22 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Geez, watched a bit of the Raiders & Chiefs last night and Carr underthrew, overthrew, and even threw behind his receivers... Wonder if you think at 10-2 he's a bad QB as well... Not sure what you people want from a guy who hardly gets practice reps, and has only played a game and a half of professional football. Give Petty a chance and I think you'll be surprised.

Petty CAN read NFL defenses pretty alright it seems like. Most of the colts game he was making great reads hindered by a bad pass during his incompletions. I think Petty some potential. He obviously isn't clueless out there. 90% of the time he knows where to go with the ball. These next 4 games will be fun seeing his progression.

21 hours ago, gEYno said:

Petty has been inaccurate in his 2 brief appearances.    I suspect it might just be nerves,  lack of timing and anticipation from not getting many reps in practice.

During his career at Baylor accuracy wasn't his problem at all.  As a matter of fact on several of his draft reviews  it was noted that he had a naturally accurate long ball.  IMO the inaccuracy will go away as he settles down, and gets more confident.

Petty's problem is going to be reading complicated defenses, dealing with blitz's, and taking sacks because he's confused and holding the ball to long..   Both "Lil Bill" and Rex are going to throw everything at him.

Hopefully he's been coached up to the point that he can get rid of the ball instead of throwing it to the wrong team in a panic.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:35 PM, kevinc855 said:

So petty is in for 4 games. What numbers does he need to put up to get the job in 17? Decisions will need to be made shortly after the season ends with pending free agency (cutler and romo) and of course draft although I do not believe the jets will draft a qb this year. The one thing we need to avoid is a qb controversy heading into September. With that said what do you all need to see from petty to win the job so we can focus the draft and free agency on the other position needs??

This is a tough subject. We may never know if Petty or Hackenberg are any good while they are here because our CS is a bunch of incompetent buffoons. I have zero faith in their ability to coach up a young QB. Unless we can get a new competent CS in here we may never know until they are playing somewhere else.

Archived