The petty audition

kevinc855

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Petty has been inaccurate in his 2 brief appearances.    I suspect it might just be nerves,  lack of timing and anticipation from not getting many reps in practice.

During his career at Baylor accuracy wasn't his problem at all.  As a matter of fact on several of his draft reviews  it was noted that he had a naturally accurate long ball.  IMO the inaccuracy will go away as he settles down, and gets more confident.

Petty's problem is going to be reading complicated defenses, dealing with blitz's, and taking sacks because he's confused and holding the ball to long..   Both "Lil Bill" and Rex are going to throw everything at him.

Hopefully he's been coached up to the point that he can get rid of the ball instead of throwing it to the wrong team in a panic.

Amen... 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, bitonti said:

I actually like Petty but by what standard is he better than Fitz?

I'll turn it around, the only thing Fitz has on Petty is experience.  That's why a lot of people have been clamoring to get Petty into games.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Petty has been inaccurate in his 2 brief appearances.    I suspect it might just be nerves,  lack of timing and anticipation from not getting many reps in practice.

During his career at Baylor accuracy wasn't his problem at all.  As a matter of fact on several of his draft reviews  it was noted that he had a naturally accurate long ball.  IMO the inaccuracy will go away as he settles down, and gets more confident.

Petty's problem is going to be reading complicated defenses, dealing with blitz's, and taking sacks because he's confused and holding the ball to long..   Both "Lil Bill" and Rex are going to throw everything at him.

Hopefully he's been coached up to the point that he can get rid of the ball instead of throwing it to the wrong team in a panic.

I'm not sure Petty has anything except to throw the ball over the top of the defense.  I'm more optimistic about him than Hackenberg, but that doesn't say much.  I hope you're right that it's nerves and lack of reps.  Maybe he's pressing.  But, there's nothing we've seen yet, and that can change, that would make you think we don't need to bring in a Culter/Romo/Glennon to start next year.  And, we certainly can't go into the season with Deshaun Watson, Bryce Petty, and Hackenberg.

On 12/8/2016 at 11:53 AM, August said:

If he performs similarly to Geno in the last 4 games of this season how would you guys feel about Petty?

If he plays like Geno, he should be cut in the offseason. Geno is terrible, we need to aim higher than terrible for our QB's.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm not sure Petty has anything except to throw the ball over the top of the defense.  I'm more optimistic about him than Hackenberg, but that doesn't say much.  I hope you're right that it's nerves and lack of reps.  Maybe he's pressing.  But, there's nothing we've seen yet, and that can change, that would make you think we don't need to bring in a Culter/Romo/Glennon to start next year.  And, we certainly can't go into the season with Deshaun Watson, Bryce Petty, and Hackenberg.

i'm actually more optimistic about hack.  i'd rather have the guy who successfully ran a pro offense in college, and also prefers a pro offense.  i wouldn't be surprised if he's better than petty at going through progressions and reading defenses already.  in college, i imagine hack would have stunk in petty's system and petty would have sucked in o'brien's system.  that said, i hope petty flashes.  but i predict by the time training camp rolls around, the buzz will be about how much better hack looks than about how petty looks.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm actually more optimistic about hack.  i'd rather have the guy who successfully ran a pro offense in college, and also prefers a pro offense.  i wouldn't be surprised if he's better than petty at going through progressions and reading defenses already.  in college, i imagine hack would have stunk in petty's system and petty would have sucked in o'brien's system.  that said, i hope petty flashes.  but i predict by the time training camp rolls around, the buzz will be about how much better hack looks than about how petty looks.

Successfully?

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes, his freshman year, the only year o'brien was there.  59% completion rate, 2,955 yards, 20 tds and 10 picks.  won big ten freshman of the year.

Most of which came on throwing to an elite WR.  If that were the real Hackenberg, we'd have seen some evidence of it again by now.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Most of which came on throwing to an elite WR.  If that were the real Hackenberg, we'd have seen some evidence of it again by now.

we've all beaten this to death, but the guy was sacked more than anyone else in college football his last two years combined and the hc left and the system didn't suit his talents.  it all fell apart.  he barely got any reps in training camp.  there really wasn't much of a chance to see more evidence of it.  but since he did it for an entire season, i believe he's capable of doing it again, and i'd take my chances on him before hoping petty learns it all from scratch.  

52 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Cutler or Romo would be foolish, and just a repeat of the same type mistakes the Jets have made for decades.  Bringing in an expensive stop gap type, that is an old has been, or a never was, is always a bad idea.

Glennon I'd consider, but not to a contract with a lot of guaranteed money.  Whether we like it or not, Petty is the best hope for the future.  if he goes belly up the last 4 games, buckle up, the Jets are in for another long cold winter.    

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

He was also a true freshman. He and PSU sucked his next 2 years, there is no denying it. And on the surface, what PSU did this year does not bode well for Hackenberg, but if you watched PSU games this year, that was not a pro style offense by any stretch. Franklin and Hackenberg were a terrible match for each other, neither fit the others strengths. 

I do think Hackenberg has some flaws that make it highly likely he will bust, but there was something there at one point.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Cutler or Romo would be foolish, and just a repeat of the same type mistakes the Jets have made for decades.  Bringing in an expensive stop gap type, that is an old has been, or a never was, is always a bad idea.

Glennon I'd consider, but not to a contract with a lot of guaranteed money.  Whether we like it or not, Petty is the best hope for the future.  if he goes belly up the last 4 games, buckle up, the Jets are in for another long cold winter.    

NE3A7iTEzhuC69_1_b.jpg

Pennington: Perfect Opportunity for Petty

Posted 43 minutes ago

•  
  •  

Former Jets QB Wants to See Petty Take Command of the Offense

AP_503605075446-petty-thumb.jpg

Chad Pennington is excited to see how Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif handles his audition.  The former Jets QB believes the second-year passer can help his team win now and put his name into the conversation as the Jets’ potential 2017 starter.

“I think it’s a perfect opportunity for him to be able to throw his name in the pot for next season’s quarterback competition and conversation,” Pennington said during his weekly appearance on the EA Podcast. “There are four games here — three of them which I think anybody would say are extremely winnable games for the Jets, one that would certainly be a tough task into going into New England and beating the Patriots. But it’s a great opportunity for him to show that he is worthy for being mentioned for competing for the Jets’ quarterback spot in 2017.”

Petty, who will make his second career start Sunday against San Francisco, has completed 54.2% of his passes with 2 TDs and 3 INTs in three appearance this year.

“His goals have to be that he shows he is in command of the offense, command of his footwork and decision making, and that he is accurate. That’s what I would be looking for,” Pennington said. “I would be looking for just offensive logistics, how my offense runs with him in the huddle. Is he an extension of the coach? Secondly where is his decision making? Is he making good decisions, is he avoiding disasters?  And third, is he hitting his targets?”

Pennington contends that accuracy is not solely reflected in completion percentage. Petty, who completed 19 of 32 passes in his first NFL start against the Rams, will have to connect on the throws that he is supposed to make.

“Completion percentage to me is more about decision making. Accuracy is truly looking at the film pass-by-pass and seeing how accurate he is,” Pennington said. “Those are the questions that came out of the game for me about Bryce Petty and those are the questions I would have moving into the last four games to try to make a determination on those three questions.”

After Petty lamented that his feet and mind were not in sync during Monday’s contest against the Colts, Pennington talked about what that means for a quarterback.

“What I’ve seen when I have watched Bryce play is his footwork does not match with his mind and his footwork is not telling him okay I have stayed on this route too long. It’s time to move on whether running or finding my check down,” Pennington said. “He really has to develop that mental clock and that mental clock does not come from your head. It comes from your feet.  Your feet are what save you and remind you that I have spent too much time in this pocket or I have spent too much time on this specific route and I need to move on to my next option.”

AP_16341830588569-johndon-story.jpg

Learning the Ropes Together
With C Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif being placed on IR earlier this week, third-year player Wesley Johnsonicon-article-link.gif will replace him for the final quarter of the season. Johnson, who will start his fifth game of the season on Sunday, has already developed a form of chemistry with Petty. The two 25-year olds worked together throughout training camp and both started Week 10 against the Rams.

“It’s good,” Johnson said of their rapport. “I feel like we’re growing together. He’s becoming more comfortable as I’m becoming more comfortable.”

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

Funny you should say that.  I was going over some of the old draft reports on him and they said that he likes to overthrow on deep balls so that the WR is the only one with a chance.  Certainly seemed to be the case on a few of the shots to Anderson.

I was surprised looking back that they didn't rate his arm higher or his speed.  He seems like he can run and has a very nice arm.  Pocket presence which is probably way more important seems sorely lacking though.

Hackenberg has talent, but he also has a major mechanical issue.  He's a project pick.  His foot issues are major, and the biggest reason for his inaccuracy.  If you saw Petty last week, he missed an easy throw to Peake on a short route, because his feet wasn't set due to a bad snap.  If Hackenberg can get his mechanics to improve, he does have a shot at being good.  However, there is a reason why these guys fall in the draft, it's because fan bases are rarely patient.  

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny you should say that.  I was going over some of the old draft reports on him and they said that he likes to overthrow on deep balls so that the WR is the only one with a chance.  Certainly seemed to be the case on a few of the shots to Anderson.

I was surprised looking back that they didn't rate his arm higher or his speed.  He seems like he can run and has a very nice arm.  Pocket presence which is probably way more important seems sorely lacking though.

Your right on Petty's pocket presence.  One of the things he definitely needs to work on.

IMO there's no question Petty has excellent arm strength.  Just in this last game He showed a very BIG arm.

I just quickly rewatched the Jet O plays in the 2nd half.

On the first drop by Anderson the ball was thrown from the 16 Yard line.  Anderson dropped it at the Colts 36.   That's 48 yards in the air, right on the money.  Great throw.

On the first overthrow, Ball was thrown at the Jets 29, fell a couple of yard in front of Anderson at the Colts 25.   That's 46 yards in the air.  Ball was on line, just a bit long

On the second over throw Ball was thrown from the Colts 47  went over Anderson's head at the 6 .   That's 41 yards in the air, again the ball was on line, but again it was a couple of yards long.

On the TD Ball was thrown from the 48, and caught at the 4.  44 Yards in the air.  Great throw.

In between, Anderson dropped 3 balls, and Powell dropped 2..   One of the things I liked about the way Petty throws those balls is there is no big wind up.  He just kind of whips them out.  We haven't seen that kind of thing in a very long time.

Petty has his work cut out for him.  As you pointed out has to work on his pocket presence, way he reads D's.  On the first pick I don't think he ever saw the guy who picked him.  He also has to get rid of the ball faster.  Takes to many sacks.  I'm really hoping this kid can perform over the next month, it would be nice to have a QB who can throw it up field, and give the  WR some chance to make a play on it 

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

So no other college QB ever throws to an elite WR ??

Hackenburgh fell apart after Allen Robinson left.  Now, a lot of people argued Jameis Winston was a product of Kelvin Benjamin and he has disproven that but Winston actually has talent

47 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Petty is what he is a one read QB who is a good athlete with a ten cent brain. He's basically an unhyped Paxton Lynch

That's who he was when he came out of Baylor.  He has shown improvement both of the pre-seasons.

We'll find out where he is over the next month.  This may be his only chance to show he belongs in the NFL.  Myself, I think the kid has a lot of natural talent.  it would be great for the Jets and Fans if he shows that he has learned something in the last year and a half.  

iIf he's still only got a 10 cent brain, so be it.  Move onto the next guy.  I have a feeling he's going to surprise.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Hackenburgh fell apart after Allen Robinson left.  Now, a lot of people argued Jameis Winston was a product of Kelvin Benjamin and he has disproven that but Winston actually has talent

Hackenberg fell apart when O'Brien left and he was thrust in a system that was a poor fit for him. 

Not too many, if any argued that Jameis was a product of anyone.  He was a stud at FSU

Petty is what he is a one read QB who is a good athlete with a ten cent brain. He's basically an unhyped Paxton Lynch

Because thats what he was asked to do at Baylor.  None of us know that he cant learn the NFL game until he doesnt.  

No offense but you made this same ridiculous comments about Mariotta and they were dead wrong then and today

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

That's who he was when he came out of Baylor.  He has shown improvement both of the pre-seasons.

Keyword: PRESEASON

Look I'd love it if Petty was even decent but the odds are against it.  But he still should have been starting like 5 weeks ago anyway.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because thats what he was asked to do at Baylor.  None of us know that he cant learn the NFL game until he doesnt.  

No offense but you made this same ridiculous comments about Mariotta and they were dead wrong then and today

That's what he was asked to do because the coaches' recognized his limitations.  Mariota will end up sucking.  Gloat all you want you guys act like he's won multiple super bowls already.  

20 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Keyword: PRESEASON

Look I'd love it if Petty was even decent but the odds are against it.  But he still should have been starting like 5 weeks ago anyway.

Good Dr, we agree on this.  Pre-season is pre-season.

The point I am trying to make is, coming  in , your correct, he had a 10 cent NFL brain.   That's why he fell from a lock 1st rounder after his junior year, to a 4th rounder at the draft a year later.

He has made good improvement in the year and a half he's been here.  That tells me at least he can learn.

As a 4th round draft pick he has a limited window to strut his stuff.  He has excellent physical skills.  Lets see if he has developed enough to, under real NFL conditions, secure a roster spot next year, and be in the conversation as the starter.  

If your depending on NFL statistics to show that he has a small chance to be an elite NFL QB because he's a 4th rounder, your again correct.

I'd prefer to see how he plays over the next 4 games before I bury him.  Kids got excellent physical tools

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Good Dr, we agree on this.  Pre-season is pre-season.

The point I am trying to make is, coming  in , your correct, he had a 10 cent NFL brain.   That's why he fell from a lock 1st rounder after his junior year, to a 4th rounder at the draft a year later.

He has made good improvement in the year and a half he's been here.  That tells me at least he can learn.

As a 4th round draft pick he has a limited window to strut his stuff.  He has excellent physical skills.  Lets see if he has developed enough to, under real NFL conditions, secure a roster spot next year, and be in the conversation as the starter.  

If your relaying on NFL statistics to show that he has a small chance to be an elite NFL QB because he's a 4th rounder, your again correct.

I'd prefer to see how he plays over the next 4 games before I bury him.  Kids got excellent physical tools

He has a great arm.  My problem with Petty is he doesn't know how to go through progressions or even mix it up.  He threw to Robby Anderson like 10x in a row that's how he got picked off.

23 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

That's what he was asked to do because the coaches' recognized his limitations.  Mariota will end up sucking.  Gloat all you want you guys act like he's won multiple super bowls already.  

Absolutely not.  They asked him to do that at Baylor because thats there style of play.  Like Oregons offesnt.  

Gloat all I want?  you were wrong and youre still arguing like you were right.  Hes not struggling to learn the NFL offense, hes one of the top two QB all year.  

Multiple SBs?  In his first season and a half?  

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

He has a great arm.  My problem with Petty is he doesn't know how to go through progressions or even mix it up.  He threw to Robby Anderson like 10x in a row that's how he got picked off.

Again your correct.  Andrerson was also, as a back up, the only WR he had any reps with.  Anderson, with his big speed also plays to Petty's strong suit.  He can throw an excellent deep ball, and give his WR a Chance to catch it.  Real change for the Jets.  

All I'm saying Dr. is lets  see what the kid can do over the next month.  

Archived