Jets Scribes Pushing Nauseating Narrative Regarding Bowles’ Job Security

JetNation

IMG_7000.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Okay, this is just flat-out silly at this point.

Since watching his team get stomped on Monday night football against the Indianapolis Colts in a 41-10 drubbing, the job security, or lack thereof, of head coach Todd Bowles has become a hot topic among both local and national media outlets.

Now, it seems, the go-to phrase or comparison being made by  Jets beat writers who are pontificating the possible dismissal has been a lazy parallel drawn to the perennial doormat Cleveland Browns.  To say a Bowles firing after just two seasons would put the Jets on par with the Browns would be akin to saying a single poor statistical season by Philip Rivers would put him on par with Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith.

Listen, the reason why the Browns are the Browns and they’re the first team that comes to mind when a head coach is being fired too early, it because that all they ever do.

IMG_2042-300x197.jpg

Todd Bowles is under fire as his lifeless team has dropped four straight contests, falling to 3-9.

Of the last eight coaches Cleveland has employed, six  have been fired in two seasons or less (Chris Palmer, Terry Robiskie, Eric Mangini, Pat Shurmur, Rob Chudzinski and Mike Pettine).  Making matters worse is that the only two head coaches who weren’t fired in two seasons or less (Butch Davis and Romeo Crennel), were fired after just three seasons.  That’s right…the last time a Browns head coach lasted more than three full seasons was Bill Belichick, who went 36-44 in four seasons, from 1991-1995.

Now, let’s compare that to Jets owner Woody Johnson who, since taking over the team in 2000 has never fired a coach in such a short time frame…not once.

Sure, Al Groh coached the team for just one season in 2000, but his departure was the result of his alma mater, Virginia, making him a financial offer he couldn’t refuse, to come home.  That was a departure that was beyond Johnson’s control.

Since Groh bolted for Virginia, it’s been Herm Edwards who got four seasons at the helm.  Then it was Eric Mangini who Johnson let go following his team’s monumental collapse that saw the Jets fall apart down the stretch and miss the playoffs despite a hot 8-3 start.

IMG_6383-300x180.jpg

Rex Ryan got six seasons with Gang Green before being shown the door by Woody Johnson.

The polarizing Rex Ryan was tabbed next by Johnson and would be the owner’s longest-tenured coach with a six-year run that would have likely come to an end sooner had Ryan not built up some equity with back-to-back deep playoff runs in each of his first two seasons.

Like every coach before him and since Weeb Ewbank, Ryan failed to deliver a championship and was relieved of his duties following a 4-12 season in 2014.

So despite the fact that a quick trigger from Johnson would be more of an outlier, a one-off, an aberration…it’s not stopping the New York media from suggesting to the team’s loyal but fed up fan base that such a move is on par with an organization who as made coaching changes a bi-annual tradition.

This isn’t to make a case as to whether or not Bowles should be dismissed, but simply pointing out the fallacy being pushed by those looking to take advantage of yet another opportunity to kick the team while they’re down.

Johnson may opt to retain Bowles next season, but if he doesn’t, it won’t be because he’s an irrational owner who hits the panic button at the first sign of adversity, but because his team, a team that has spent almost every penny authorized by the league, isn’t just losing often, but they’re losing big and they’re losing ugly.

If Johnson were to turn a blind eye to the team’s struggles to placate the click-bait headline writing members of the team’s press corps, it would mean he was allowing writers to impact major organizational decisions.  Something former NFL quarterback Brady Quinn referred to on his Sirius XM NFL radio show as “the biggest mistake the Cleveland Browns made” during his time with team.  Oh the irony.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
gvS7Pi5Pyfw

Click here to read the full story...

What if it's maccagnan who is pushing the narrative to the media?  

Yes, Mac had done a poor job of fielding a competitive team, but the total lack of pass coverage all season is pretty inexcusable.  

That coupled with the lack of effort and accountability from the teams highest paid players is a pretty bad look from an alleged disciplinarian and defensive guru.  

15 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Yes, Mac had done a poor job of fielding a competitive team, but the total lack of pass coverage all season is pretty inexcusable.  

That coupled with the lack of effort and accountability from the teams highest paid players is a pretty bad look from an alleged disciplinarian and defensive guru.  

I'm not sure I get your point.  At first I thought that you meant that Mac was pushing this to protect himself, but your last two paragraphs are an indictment of Bowles, I can see blaming Mac for Revis getting all that money to fail manned up, but there are tons of blown coverages.  That is inexcusable, especially late in the season on a team that did not change defenses.  Skrine, Gilchrist, Revis, these guys weren't blowing coverages before and the coach is a defensive coach and a DB coach to boot.  

18 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Not sure how this applies to the BS Cleveland comparisons being made by Manish, Cannizzaro and company.

This is really missing the forest for the trees. We're exactly like the Browns in that the number of qualified, competent people who want to work here is basically zero. If we start firing coaches and GMs after two years, it'll shrink even more, regardless of whether or not we've made a habit of it in the past.

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is really missing the forest for the trees. We're exactly like the Browns in that the number of qualified, competent people who want to work here is basically zero. If we start firing coaches and GMs after two years, it'll shrink even more, regardless of whether or not we've made a habit of it in the past.

I may be wrong but I have a certain impression from the posters here.  Despite the awful season and the particulars of it that make it seem, for good reason, even worse than the record, it seems that most still have a level of optimism about something that I don't share.  And that is that the Jets can easily find an upgrade for HC and other CS positions.  For those who also want Macc gone, it extends to that position.

I don't think so.  Nobody who has a good reputation right now will want to come here, unless things happen that simply won't.  You'd need a fairly long term contract with big guaranteed money for starters.  You'd also need to take overall control over football operations away from Woody and give it either to a new GM, or perhaps an overall head of football operations. 

But Woody will not do that, so I think a search for an upgrade is doomed from the start.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I may be wrong but I have a certain impression from the posters here.  Despite the awful season and the particulars of it that make it seem, for good reason, even worse than the record, it seems that most still have a level of optimism about something that I don't share.  And that is that the Jets can easily find an upgrade for HC and other CS positions.  For those who also want Macc gone, it extends to that position.

I don't think so.  Nobody who has a good reputation right now will want to come here,

unless things happen that simply won't.  You'd need a fairly long term contract with big guaranteed money for starters.  You'd also need to take overall control over football operations away from Woody and give it either to a new GM, or perhaps an overall head of football operations. 

But Woody will not do that, so I think a search for an upgrade is doomed from the start.

This is one of those things nobody knows outside of 1 Jets Drive.

- Big payday

- Big market

- Top-5 draft pick

- Cement ever-lasting legacy by winning first ring in a billion years.

Things like that matter to competitive egomaniacs.

Firing a guy who is supposed to be a defensive genius but can't buy a sack with multiple first round picks in the front seven isnt going to scare off any candidate with an ounce of self confidence IMO.

41 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Doesn't make sense in light of the fact that Bowles doesn't report to Mac.

Not one of those coaches the Browns fired in 2 years has come back and been successful with anyone else. So seems they were right to move on.

You're correct though in this. This season hasn't been solely about being overmatched talent-wise. The Colts frankly are a mediocre team. We're consistently out manuveured, out prepared and under motivated. Plenty of times I've seen less talented teams than thus give better performances than what we've seen. That's on Bowles. He's got to go. You don't get a free pass because its your 2nd year.

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

If Johnson were to turn a blind eye to the team’s struggles to placate the click-bait headline writing members of the team’s press corps, it would mean he was allowing writers to impact major organizational decisions.  Something former NFL quarterback Brady Quinn referred to on his Sirius XM NFL radio show as “the biggest mistake the Cleveland Browns made” during his time with team.  Oh the irony.

This is actually the one thing I'm not worried about at all, Woody is always his own man when it comes to head coaching, and he's been rather against the grain in the 16 years he's managed the team. 

Edwards made the playoffs every time he had a healthy Pennington, 3 playoff appearances in 5 years, was let go anyway.  The Mangini collapse was disappointing, but very few people saw his termination coming after a 10-6 playoff year followed by the obligatory Pennington injury, followed by Favre and an 8-3 open.  The Ryan collapse was obvious, the world wanted him gone after 2012, but Woody held onto him for another 2 miserable years.

I wouldn't worry about media pressure getting to Woody Johnson.  This boils down to the relationship between he and Bowles, something we are not aware of.  There was a cold chill between he and Mangini, there was too much man-love between he and Ryan, that's ultimately what's going to decide Todd's fate, nothing else.

SAR I

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Firing one coach after 2 years doesn't make it a repeated act, and the entire country can see that Bowles has lost the team. Maccagnan is the bigger problem because he's both incompetent and he is following a GM who was fired after only 2 years himself.

Sadly, firing Bowles now would buy Maccagnan a minimum of 3 more seasons through 2019. Dumping Maccagnan any earlier than that would mean either (1) firing his HC only 2 years after firing Bowles after only 2 seasons, or (2) forcing Maccagnan's new HC hire upon the next GM (a la Rex onto Idzik). Neither one seems likely to attract a competent replacement, other than a combo GM/HC-in-one. Firing Bowles today, in practical terms, likely means the earliest we see a Maccagnan replacement is the 2020 season no matter how bad he is or continues to be at his job.

So despite how I don't like it, I've kind of come to grips with the idea that the fastest way to replace Maccagnan is to keep both him and Bowles here for 1 more season. After that they could then bring in a new GM who should hire his own HC. Of course if Johnson doesn't cede the power to hire/fire HCs to his GMs, then none of this is going to matter anyway. We'll only end up with the next, first-time GM boob who's willing to tie his career to such ridiculous terms.

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Firing one coach after 2 years doesn't make it a repeated act, and the entire country can see that Bowles has lost the team. Maccagnan is the bigger problem because he's both incompetent and he is following a GM who was fired after only 2 years himself.

Sadly, firing Bowles now would buy Maccagnan a minimum of 3 more seasons through 2019. Dumping Maccagnan any earlier than that would mean either (1) firing his HC only 2 years after firing Bowles after only 2 seasons, or (2) forcing Maccagnan's new HC hire upon the next GM (a la Rex onto Idzik). Neither one seems likely to attract a competent replacement, other than a combo GM/HC-in-one. Firing Bowles today, in practical terms, likely means the earliest we see a Maccagnan replacement is the 2020 season no matter how bad he is or continues to be at his job.

So despite how I don't like it, I've kind of come to grips with the idea that the fastest way to replace Maccagnan is to keep both him and Bowles here for 1 more season. After that they could then bring in a new GM who should hire his own HC. Of course if Johnson doesn't cede the power to hire/fire HCs to his GMs, then none of this is going to matter anyway. We'll only end up with the next, first-time GM boob who's willing to tie his career to such ridiculous terms.

Exactly...what makes the Browns who they are isnt just the losing, but constantly firing guys after two seasons or less.

To say that doing it one time puts the Jets in that same class is just silly.

How about bringing in the talent in the FO and CS that is missing? If a first timer is having issues, buttress the organization. Tearing this down will hurt The 2 young QB's and alter the development of several other players. This is more of a problem here.

Macc obviously has issues with fielding players who can fit a scheme. The Jets went from a 3/4 D to a 4/3 with 4 DT's starting. TB was too stubborn to move on from Futz. He never protected Futz in KC. No QB should throw 6 picks in one game. 

Futz lost his confidence then and worse the entire team saw the coach not protect the player. That game had a huge impact on the season. Had Geno been made the starter then things may have looked a lot different this season. The team did look lifeless last week. All teams have those kind  of games.

The same media was just wrong about an election.

If you would have told me before this season, that Todd Bowles was in jeopardy of losing his job at the end of 2016, I would have told you that you're crazy.

Now?  I'm pretty confident he wont but would you be surprised?  It's not just the losing and the blowouts...it's all the other stuff too that give this team a bad look.  Players showing up the franchise, players talking trash about each other, superstars giving zero effort, leaders of the teams missing meetings, absolutely piss poor handling of the QB situation...it's a complete and utter mess more than we've seen in a long long time.  

You cant be this bad, with this much talent.  It's one thing to lose but then when you throw in the obvious coaching deficiencies Todd displays, you have to have serious concern.

What does Todd Bowles bring to the table?  He's a secondary guy with one of the worst secondaries in the league.   He's a DC who cant figure out how to use his personnel.  He literally doesnt talk to the offense.  He has zero vision.  The team has no identity.   Other than his demeanor, what is his strength? 

I dont think Todd loses his job but he's on the hottest seat in the league next season, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world do the math Jim Harbaugh is dying to come here

Just now, T0mShane said:

There are only 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world do the math Jim Harbaugh is dying to come here

Not yet... I think he has something to prove with Michigan and wants to win the National Championship. Then he comes back. Hence get Coughlin here for a year or two and then go hard for Jim.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you would have told me before this season, that Todd Bowles was in jeopardy of losing his job at the end of 2016, I would have told you that you're crazy.

Now?  I'm pretty confident he wont but would you be surprised?  It's not just the losing and the blowouts...it's all the other stuff too that give this team a bad look.  Players showing up the franchise, players talking trash about each other, superstars giving zero effort, leaders of the teams missing meetings, absolutely piss poor handling of the QB situation...it's a complete and utter mess more than we've seen in a long long time.  

You cant be this bad, with this much talent.  It's one thing to lose but then when you throw in the obvious coaching deficiencies Todd displays, you have to have serious concern.

What does Todd Bowles bring to the table?  He's a secondary guy with one of the worst secondaries in the league.   He's a DC who cant figure out how to use his personnel.  He literally doesnt talk to the offense.  He has zero vision.  The team has no identity.   Other than his demeanor, what is his strength? 

I dont think Todd loses his job but he's on the hottest seat in the league next season, no doubt. 

Todd Bowles has been really bad here, and at stuff he was supposed to be good at: minimizing bullsh*t, commanding respect, putting creative defenses on the field like we saw in Arizona. The first red flag was his kids-gloves handling of Antonio Cromartie. No doubt guys like Sheldon and Mo saw that and knew they had a cream puff at the helm.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Not yet... I think he has something to prove with Michigan and wants to win the National Championship. Then he comes back. Hence get Coughlin here for a year or two and then go hard for Jim.

Coaching the Jets is better than 20 national championships

9 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

How about bringing in the talent in the FO and CS that is missing? If a first timer is having issues, buttress the organization. Tearing this down will hurt The 2 young QB's and alter the development of several other players. This is more of a problem here.

Macc obviously has issues with fielding players who can fit a scheme. The Jets went from a 3/4 D to a 4/3 with 4 DT's starting. TB was too stubborn to move on from Futz. He never protected Futz in KC. No QB should throw 6 picks in one game. 

Futz lost his confidence then and worse the entire team saw the coach not protect the player. That game had a huge impact on the season. Had Geno been made the starter then things may have looked a lot different this season. The team did look lifeless last week. All teams have those kind  of games.

The same media was just wrong about an election.

Media was wrong about the election because they are too biased and arrogant. Its all about clicks.  

Anyway, Todd Bowles lost the team and shows no discipline... that.. is a problem...

Just now, T0mShane said:

Coaching the Jets is better than 20 national championships

Look I am not saying he isn't coming back but when you have total control and make almost 10 million a year with a 7 year contract... why would he give that up after 1 year.

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Were Idzik and Rex separate? I dont see how Bowles is any less or more responsible than Maccagnan is for this current mess.

I think he is more responsible to be honest.  I would have no issue if he gets canned but it's not going to happen and Bowles (and mac) can save their careers here, only if they go into big rebuild mode right now.  If they try and cobble together this pipe dream of a competitive rebuild they will fail.  The only way you can do a competitive rebuild imo is if you already have your franchise QB.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I think he is more responsible to be honest.  I would have no issue if he gets canned but it's not going to happen and Bowles (and mac) can save their careers here, only if they go into big rebuild mode right now.  If they try and cobble together this pipe dream of a competitive rebuild they will fail.  The only way you can do a competitive rebuild imo is if you already have your franchise QB.

If Mac wants to save himself here he's going to have to address it at some point. The guy's been in hiding all season and we're left watching veterans not giving a sh*t. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Todd Bowles has been really bad here, and at stuff he was supposed to be good at: minimizing bullsh*t, commanding respect, putting creative defenses on the field like we saw in Arizona. The first red flag was his kids-gloves handling of Antonio Cromartie. No doubt guys like Sheldon and Mo saw that and knew they had a cream puff at the helm.

Has he actually handled a single situation properly since he's been here?  I cant really think of a scenario. 

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Look I am not saying he isn't coming back but when you have total control and make almost 10 million a year with a 7 year contract... why would he give that up after 1 year.

Ego, pride - things Head Coaches have a ton of.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not sure I get your point.  At first I thought that you meant that Mac was pushing this to protect himself, but your last two paragraphs are an indictment of Bowles, I can see blaming Mac for Revis getting all that money to fail manned up, but there are tons of blown coverages.  That is inexcusable, especially late in the season on a team that did not change defenses.  Skrine, Gilchrist, Revis, these guys weren't blowing coverages before and the coach is a defensive coach and a DB coach to boot.  

The point is that the narrative in the media is all about Bowles and not much about macc. Is this narrative being pushed by the FOtrying to save their jobs?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Has he actually handled a single situation properly since he's been here?  I cant really think of a scenario. 

The guy is just way over his head. I'm sure Bowles can be an effective assistant or DC although Arizona's D has been just as good since he left if not better

Archived