Fitz paying it forward in mentoring young QBs

AFJF

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Yeah a late draft choice from Harvard with limited physical skills who broke the Jets franchise record for TD passes and who is in the top 75 all time in TD passes and completions. The last guy. 

If you think about it, while Ryan Fitzpatrick might be #40 in the NFL as a starting quarterback, he's probably #1 in the NFL as a backup.  He's already on the team, the locker room supports him, the tweenage QB's love him, he can handle the NY media, there is no downside so long as his price is right.

Only Geno lovers hate Ryan Fitzpatrick.  The rest of us are ambivalent at best, appreciate what he did as a stop-gap in '15 and how he's handled himself through adversity in '16.  He's a true pro, an example for the poisonous malcontents on the other side of the ball if only they'd follow.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SR24 said:

"In my situation, I don't really care about the big picture,"  What a guy! Cut his dumbass and dress Hack every game

Again, a single quote does not summarize what he said or how he said it.  This is just like the "the front office stops believing in you" quote.

The media badgered him with a half a dozen questions in 3 minutes, over and over, different angles on how he was being benched and how he found out and this was just after a tough game where the whole team was dismal.  A reporter asked him about what role he thought the Jets were giving him and how that would help the team in the big picture and he said  "In my situation, I don't really care about the big picture, my situation is, I just want to be out there playing. But I didn't play well enough." 

Translation:  He's upset with himself because there wouldn't be a 'big picture' question if he played well enough.

Compare this to Revis who tells anyone who will ask that he is old and slow.  Compare this to Geno Smith who tweeted passive-aggressive comments during a losing streak.  Compare this to Mo Wilkerson who runs out of the locker room like a scared mouse.  Compare this to Sheldon Richardson who rolls his eyes before getting stoned on the car ride home.  There are a ton of poorly behaving Jets you can go after to hate-on for this season.  Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't one of them.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you think about it, while Ryan Fitzpatrick might be #40 in the NFL as a starting quarterback, he's probably #1 in the NFL as a backup.  He's already on the team, the locker room supports him, the tweenage QB's love him, he can handle the NY media, there is no downside so long as his price is right.

Only Geno lovers hate Ryan Fitzpatrick.  The rest of us are ambivalent at best, appreciate what he did as a stop-gap in '15 and how he's handled himself through adversity in '16.  He's a true pro, an example for the poisonous malcontents on the other side of the ball if only they'd follow.

SAR I

Absolutely agree. This year has been a bust for the entire team. Despite that, they showed they are capable of playing some good games - e.g. versus Buffalo, Baltimore, New England. Everyone needs to take a deep breath before they blow up this thing entirely and see if they can salvage some unity in the final four weeks.  Changes will inevitably have to be made, and Fitz staying on as a backup could be a positive move going forward. 

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

LOL no. fitz isn't even a top 5 backup, nice try though 

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's your misperception.

Did you happen to miss the presser where after he was informed that he was being benched and became a backup rushed into duty he gave an honest assessment that life is tough as a journeyman when the front office loses faith in you?

Did you happen to miss the presser just this past Sunday seconds after he was told he was being benched by a lowly assistant where he covered for his head coach and did not act anything like a child?

Fitz may suck as a quarterback, he's a great team leader and sets a good example.

SAR I

We draft and sign free agents to play football here this is the NFL we aren't a debate team or a social nurturing group and we certainly aren't saving any trees. 

How do you think Decker,Mangold and Marshall feel today after their show of support for Ryan Fitzpatrick the Jets are 3-9 one of the worse teams in football and he leads the NFL in INT's and turnovers. 

I dont care what Ryan Fitzpatrick has to say anymore and I certainly don't want him mentoring, teaching or coaching the possible QB's of the future here.

Sit down shut up hold your clipboard and if you get bored bring your Rubik's cube your days are numbered here. 

The NFL isn't a feel good caring and sharing story its all about winning football games, making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl. 

joewilly12

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We draft and sign free agents to play football here this is the NFL we aren't a debate team or a social nurturing group and we certainly aren't saving any trees. 

How do you think Decker,Mangold and Marshall feel today after their show of support for Ryan Fitzpatrick the Jets are 3-9 one of the worse teams in football and he leads the NFL in INT's and turnovers. 

I dont care what Ryan Fitzpatrick has to say anymore and I certainly don't want him mentoring, teaching or coaching the possible QB's of the future here.

Sit down shut up hold your clipboard and if you get bored bring your Rubik's cube your days are numbered here. 

The NFL isn't a feel good caring and sharing story its all about winning football games, making the playoffs and winning a Super Bowl.

We are between 5 and 10 years away from a Super Bowl.  Between now and then we are going to have a lot of moving parts, a lot of young guys and a lot of old guys, it's how it goes.  Nothing that transpires next season is going to help us on our Championship quest. 

Discussing the backup quarterback is silly, I can't even name the backup quarterbacks for any of the other teams in the NFL, I only know Garropolo because he played a lot this year.  If the Jets stick with Gailey and Fitzpatrick is retained as a backup and mentor to the two kids, I'm good with it, you should be too.  Discussing our long-snapper is a better use of our time.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

We are between 5 and 10 years away from a Super Bowl.  Between now and then we are going to have a lot of moving parts, a lot of young guys and a lot of old guys, it's how it goes.  Nothing that transpires next season is going to help us on our Championship quest. 

Discussing the backup quarterback is silly, I can't even name the backup quarterbacks for any of the other teams in the NFL, I only know Garropolo because he played a lot this year.  If the Jets stick with Gailey and Fitzpatrick is retained as a backup and mentor to the two kids, I'm good with it, you should be too.

SAR I

A backup QB is supposed to be an integral part of the equation in winning football games. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is none of the above. 

The sooner he takes his sh*t show on the road again the better off this organization will be. 

joewilly12 

28 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Yeah a late draft choice from Harvard with limited physical skills who broke the Jets franchise record for TD passes and who is in the top 75 all time in TD passes and completions. The last guy. 

Or the guy the leafs the league in ints and HS never ever amde it to the playoffs. Yeah, that's the guy I want to groom a young QB. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

A backup QB is supposed to be an integral part of the equation in winning football games. 

The sooner he takes his sh*t show on the road again the better off this organization will be.

a0d150e2134c51a460d4133045f460ba.jpg

Yeah, because Babe Parilli was such a major foundation of the '68 Super Bowl team he's honored all over the stadium, I see his jersey in all the gift shops, Namath himself credits him and his 29 garbage time completions as the difference, Babe Parilli saved the AFL in fact.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Discussing the backup quarterback is silly, I can't even name the backup quarterbacks for any of the other teams in the NFL, I only know Garropolo because he played a lot this year.  If the Jets stick with Gailey and Fitzpatrick is retained as a backup and mentor to the two kids, I'm good with it, you should be too.

SAR I

If they make him an assistant coach, or he does it pro-bono, I'm good with it too. As a member of the 53 man roster going forward, n o thanks.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Or the guy the leafs the league in ints and HS never ever amde it to the playoffs. Yeah, that's the guy I want to groom a young QB. 

Use a computer.  This isn't Twitter.  And let go of Geno already, be objective.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

a0d150e2134c51a460d4133045f460ba.jpg

Yeah, because Babe Parilli was such a major foundation of the '68 Super Bowl team he's honored all over the stadium, I see his jersey in all the gift shops, Namath himself credits him and his 29 garbage time completions as the difference, Babe Parilli saved the AFL in fact.

SAR I

Sorry SAR I not many support your efforts to Save Ryan Fitzpatrick,dont bother with the GoFundMe page. 

joewilly12 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

joewilly12 

He was a integral part last season. As poor as he has played this season, he has given his team the lead late in the 4th quarter three times and his team has blown it every time. He has also not been the beneficiary of a single point scored by this defense or special teams return game either last season or this season, a major factor in teams winning games - see Chiefs/Broncos. And the coaching and undisciplined penalties that hamper this team game after game are disgusting. The team also leads the league in dropped passes. If Petty and Hackenburg are forced to play under the same conditions, it will be very ugly. Even Gruden could see the QB was in a very bad situation. In all my years of football, I haven't seen many worse ones. 

36 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If the Jets don't pursue Cutler or Romo types, we will need a veteran backup in here because Petty may get hurt and Hackenberg is still not ready, there aren't better choices that Ryan Fitzpatrick who is a team-first guy and the last person to cause locker room friction.  He'll be the top backup on the market, we might as well tap him.

SAR I

I disagree. The Jets don't need a veteran backup, albeit a capable one. They are better off giving the roster spot to another rookie. The only way this franchise is going to find a quarterback for the long haul is by playing the odds and you need roster spots to do that.

19 minutes ago, j4jets said:

considering 9-7 teams have won the Super Bowl, I'd say going 10-5 last season and not making the playoffs was s#it luck. Then again, considering Geno lost his only start (a game that would have pushed us into the playoffs) and Fitz was playing the middle of the year injured, he had a great season. Also, Fitz does not lead the league in interceptions, that would be a Mr. Bortles, who also led the league last season, and who, by the way, was a top overall pick.

That KC game really makes Fitz look alot worse than he's actually been.  Not in ANY way saying he's been good enough, lol no, but that one game skews his numbers hard.

Remove that KC INT-fest, and Fitz is playing/producing right about in line with "Typical Fitz", in a year no one else on this team is producing jack nor sh*te.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Examples.  Go ahead.  You can't find one.

SAR I

You mean like holding out for Osweiller money, missing camp and missing practices?

Coming in out of shape and ill prepared for the season in a league where under ideal circumstances there isnt enough practice time?  Player/analysts have whispered this is the main reason for his obvious fall off from a year earlier.  But hey, he got paid so....

How about at the podium when "covering for others" he said he could care less about the long term for his team?  

Born to lead....right into the toilet like every other team hes led

1 minute ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

considering 9-7 teams have won the Super Bowl, I'd say going 10-5 last season and not making the playoffs was s#it luck. Then again, considering Geno lost his only start (a game that would have pushed us into the playoffs) and Fitz was playing the middle of the year injured, he had a great season. Also, Fitz does not lead the league in interceptions, that would be a Mr. Bortles, who also led the league last season, and who, by the way, was a top overall pick.

fitz going 10-6 last season was almost entirely driven by luck. his play this season hasn't really even been any worse if you break it down, it's just the production isn't there because he's not getting those lucky breaks this time. that and he's actually playing against decent competition this season, not that cake walk joke of a schedule again

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That KC game really makes Fitz look alot worse than he's actually been.  Not in ANY way saying he's been good enough, lol no, but that one game skews his numbers hard.

Remove that KC INT-fest, and Fitz is playing/producing right about in line with "Typical Fitz", in a year no one else on this team is producing jack nor sh*te.

Agreed, fitz isn't playing any worse than last season. but this is what happens when those "almost interceptions" start getting caught and the competition gets better

2 hours ago, August said:

That's not the point. 

He's done nothing selfish this year? That's funny. 

Selective memory....  The guy called out the entire organization when he was benched.  I don't recall Geno ever doing that even when he lost his job because he was sucker punched by a teammate. 

5 minutes ago, cant wait said:

fitz going 10-6 last season was almost entirely driven by luck. his play this season hasn't really even been any worse if you break it down, it's just the production isn't there because he's not getting those lucky breaks this time. that and he's actually playing against decent competition this season, not that cake walk joke of a schedule again

Yeah the luck of having a healthy Decker and Marshall, both of whom were coming off injury plagued seasons and in Marshalls case, something to prove to his critics in Chicago. 

28 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

He was a integral part last season. As poor as he has played this season, he has given his team the lead late in the 4th quarter three times and his team has blown it every time. He has also not been the beneficiary of a single point scored by this defense or special teams return game either last season or this season, a major factor in teams winning games - see Chiefs/Broncos. And the coaching and undisciplined penalties that hamper this team game after game are disgusting. The team also leads the league in dropped passes. If Petty and Hackenburg are forced to play under the same conditions, it will be very ugly. Even Gruden could see the QB was in a very bad situation. In all my years of football, I haven't seen many worse ones. 

Last season is over and done, we had the easiest schedule in the NFL and he still failed to lead us into the playoffs. 

The feel good riding the 2015 season no playoffs ( I don't feel was successful) is over. 

What have you done for me lately Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sorry SAR I not many support your efforts to Save Ryan Fitzpatrick,dont bother with the GoFundMe page.

I'm not trying to save Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm merely saying that there's a very good chance he's on the team next year as our backup quarterback and that he'd be a good choice in that role.  Geno busted on his own, it wasn't Fitzpatrick's fault.  Be objective.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, j4jets said:

One has little to do with the other.  

If you look around the league over the years, a lot of good QB coaches and OC's had played QB.  Very few of them are super talented Super Bowl winning QB's.  Most of them are guys who didn't have the physical talent,but used their smarts to reach what ever level they achieved 

I'm merely saying that there's a very good chance he's on the team next year as our backup quarterback and that he'd be a good choice in that role.  Geno busted on his own, it wasn't Fitzpatrick's fault.  Be objective.

SAR I

This isn't about Geno Smith it never was. We are discussing the thread title Fitz paying it forward in mentoring young QBs. 

If you want to continue bashing Geno Smith there are plenty of other threads to do so. 

If this organization is dumb enough to bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick under any capacity then they get what they deserve and I will continue voicing my displeasure. 

31 other NFL teams just said no, unfortunately the organization we cheer for just doesn't get it. 

joewilly12

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I disagree. The Jets don't need a veteran backup, albeit a capable one. They are better off giving the roster spot to another rookie. The only way this franchise is going to find a quarterback for the long haul is by playing the odds and you need roster spots to do that.

I agree, I want to find and groom our future franchise quarterback(s) too.  I just don't see a sure-fire first round stud in this year's draft and I just don't see Maccagnan taking out a flyer on yet another 2nd or 4th rounder to add to the teenage collection when we need a new OL and the jury's still out on the other two.

I see next year's quarterback rotation the same as it is now:

QB1:  Bryce Petty
QB2:  Ryan Fitzpatrick
QB3:  Christian Hackenberg

Petty starts and doesn't feel threatened by Fitz, Gailey has a game-ready backup fully fluent in his system, and Hackenberg can take his time without feeling rushed.

The die is already cast, this is going to happen.

SAR I

I agree, I want to find and groom our future franchise quarterback(s) too.  I just don't see a sure-fire first round stud in this year's draft and I just don't see Maccagnan taking out a flyer on yet another 2nd or 4th rounder to add to the teenage collection when we need a new OL and the jury's still out on the other two.

Petty starts and doesn't feel threatened by Fitz, Gailey has a game-ready backup fully fluent in his system, and Hackenberg can take his time without feeling rushed.

SAR I

Macc if hes the GM will select Watson if he's on the board when we pick. Book it. 

30 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

And if you take out the ridiculous Kansas City anomaly, Fitzpatrick's interceptions are right on his career average of about one per game, hardly alarming.  But we live in a tweet world so "leads the NFL in interceptions!" sounds so much more soundbyte.

And I'd argue that Fitzpatrick played this season the same as he did last season, but without Eric Decker, without Chris Ivory, and with a much harder schedule.  They loved him last year, they hate him this year, he's the same player.

Whatever slim chance this team with this schedule had this year was supposed to be on the backs of a Top 3 defense and a Top 5 running game.  Ryan Fitzpatrick morphing into Dan Marino was never part of the equation.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I don't think Petty is going to be here and depending on if/who gets fired Hackenberg might not be either. 

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That was the plan with the original 4 year 27 million contract the Jets offered Fitz,  12 the first year, and 5 the next 3

Archived