Fitz paying it forward in mentoring young QBs

AFJF

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

And if you take out the ridiculous Kansas City anomaly, Fitzpatrick's interceptions are right on his career average of about one per game, hardly alarming.  But we live in a tweet world so "leads the NFL in interceptions!" sounds so much more soundbyte.

And I'd argue that Fitzpatrick played this season the same as he did last season, but without Eric Decker, without Chris Ivory, and with a much harder schedule.  They loved him last year, they hate him this year, he's the same player.

Whatever slim chance this team with this schedule had this year was supposed to be on the backs of a Top 3 defense and a Top 5 running game.  Ryan Fitzpatrick morphing into Dan Marino was never part of the equation.

SAR I

You'd argue and would be wrong.

He's been a horror.  Even when not throwing INTs he was failing to score points in the RZ.  

But the new and improved excuse making for Fitz is creative.

Lets throw our his bad games, then the rest of his career is pretty linear.  Hell, throw out the lousy and mediocre games and Fitz might even be good.  Still would be a QB with a losing record.  Would still cap out at 6 wins.  Still wouldnt get to the playoffs.  But to some, he would be borderline HOF 

I agree, Fitz morphing into Marino was never part of the equation.  Unfortunately he morphed into Mark Brunnel

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

FAILURE is Macc and Bowles the brain trust believed in Ryan Fitzpatrick and here we are today 3-9 last place AFC East one of the worst teams in football there is no otherwise.

Everyone wanted him back, stop already, you sound like a fool

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Use a computer.  This isn't Twitter.  And let go of Geno already, be objective.

SAR I

lol says the guy that has been riding Fitz like a horse. And my bad for the spelling mistakes. It can happen when you use a mobile phone. Joke is on you, grandpa. let go of Fitz. He's done in the league. Geno will be here in the league longer than your man-love Fitz. 

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Objectivity means discussing the facts as they are, not as we want or think they should be.

The facts on Geno Smith are thus:

1. As a rookie, he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL

2. As a 2nd year QB he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL.  He failure is in part responsible for the resultant firing of both Rex and Idzik.

3. In his third year he was involved in an avoidable confrontation and lost his season to an injury at the hands of a teammate.  For this reason alone, Fitzpatrick got to start and play.

4. In his fourth year, he failed to effectively beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty in camp or preseason.

5. When his opportunity to play arrived this year, he was hurt barely a few plays in, and done for the season.

6. Throughout his tenure in New York, he has been cited/noted for immaturity, selfishness and other behavioral issues. Missed meetings, sideline ranting, issues with teammates, issues with the media, etc.

7. His time in New York is over, he will be elsewhere in 2017. 

Thats the objective truth about Geno Smith.  Why there is ANY need to continue to discuss him, at this point, I do not understand.

But since you do, and others keep bringing him up, it's probably time for you folks to face reality about him.  Four years in, he is a 100% bust.

Like Fitz, he can be somone else's problem next year.

First of all i wasn't the one to bring him up in this thread.  Secondly, many players have started out their careers poorly only to go to have success later.  We will neve know how he would performed if he hadn't gotten sucker punched in the locker room or injured this year.  What we do know is Ryan Fitzpatrick has never made the playoffs and until last season never win more than 6 games in his career. A feat the worst quarterback in football managed to accomplish as a rookie.  

I don't think we will hear much from Fitzy going forward but Geno Smiths career is not over yet and he may yet turn it around.  

1 hour ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

considering 9-7 teams have won the Super Bowl, I'd say going 10-5 last season and not making the playoffs was s#it luck. Then again, considering Geno lost his only start (a game that would have pushed us into the playoffs) and Fitz was playing the middle of the year injured, he had a great season. Also, Fitz does not lead the league in interceptions, that would be a Mr. Bortles, who also led the league last season, and who, by the way, was a top overall pick.

Correction, Geno did not have a start so even that loss falls on Fitz' plate. And Blake leads the league in ints only because he has played an extra 2 games. It could've been far worse otherwise. 

To recap, Fitz has never reached playoffs, has never won more than 6 games in a year save for last years fluke, leads the league with ints/game (happy now?), and can't win any game worth a crap. He had his worst quarter in his career in the biggest game of his career when all he had to do was barely play average and get the win. And no, I don't want him to mentor a young kid. 

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

FAILURE is Macc and Bowles the brain trust believed in Ryan Fitzpatrick and here we are today 3-9 last place AFC East one of the worst teams in football there is no otherwise.

FAILURE is Geno Smith because he couldn't beat out a guy who is statistically the worst QB in the NFL and leads the league in interceptions.

Twice.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You'd argue and would be wrong.

He's been a horror.  Even when not throwing INTs he was failing to score points in the RZ.  

But the new and improved excuse making for Fitz is creative.

Lets throw our his bad games, then the rest of his career is pretty linear.  Hell, throw out the lousy and mediocre games and Fitz might even be good.  Still would be a QB with a losing record.  Would still cap out at 6 wins.  Still wouldnt get to the playoffs.  But to some, he would be borderline HOF 

I agree, Fitz morphing into Marino was never part of the equation.  Unfortunately he morphed into Mark Brunnel

I'm not taking out all his bad games, merely saying the boilerplate "he leads the NFL in interceptions!" is nothing more than soundbyte fodder because of one ridiculous game in which he was left in to throw 6 interceptions.  Most QB's get pulled after the 3rd.  Definitely the 4th.  I can't think of anyone who was left in after that.

Just too much quarterback scapegoating these days, it distracts from talking about the real problems with the team.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

FAILURE is Geno Smith because he couldn't beat out a guy who is statistically the worst QB in the NFL and leads the league in interceptions.

Twice.

SAR I

to be fair he didn't get a chance to compete for the job in 2015 or 2016 for different reasons.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Objectivity means discussing the facts as they are, not as we want or think they should be.

The facts on Geno Smith are thus:

1. As a rookie, he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL

2. As a 2nd year QB he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL.  He failure is in part responsible for the resultant firing of both Rex and Idzik.

3. In his third year he was involved in an avoidable confrontation and lost his season to an injury at the hands of a teammate.  For this reason alone, Fitzpatrick got to start and play.

4. In his fourth year, he failed to effectively beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty in camp or preseason.

5. When his opportunity to play arrived this year, he was hurt barely a few plays in, and done for the season.

6. Throughout his tenure in New York, he has been cited/noted for immaturity, selfishness and other behavioral issues. Missed meetings, sideline ranting, issues with teammates, issues with the media, etc.

7. His time in New York is over, he will be elsewhere in 2017. 

Thats the objective truth about Geno Smith.  Why there is ANY need to continue to discuss him, at this point, I do not understand.

But since you do, and others keep bringing him up, it's probably time for you folks to face reality about him.  Four years in, he is a 100% bust.

Like Fitz, he can be somone else's problem next year.

1. He was a rookie that was forced to start. Can not hold that against him.

2. All of his starting WRs are out of the league by now or are irrelevant.

3. True, but you don't expect to be sucker punched like that in an NFL locker room and only an idiot would blame that on Geno. 

4. Oh he beat out that pathetic f*ck we call the "conquering hero" and it wasn't even close, just like his 3rd year. 

5. And I believe you think that's his fault. 

6. He's had a few incidents but you're making it sound like it happens ever day.

7. Just like Fitz, except I doubt Fitz gets signed again in the NFL. 

And we discuss Geno for the same reason Fitz gets discussed. Not sure why that bothers you. If it does bother you, ignore it and move the hell on perhaps?

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

lol says the guy that has been riding Fitz like a horse. And my bad for the spelling mistakes. It can happen when you use a mobile phone. Joke is on you, grandpa. let go of Fitz. He's done in the league. Geno will be here in the league longer than your man-love Fitz. 

I'm no Fitzpatrick fan, I just want the scapegoating to stop.  It's time to hold the defense accountable.  They caused this.

I've owned every iPhone since the 3GS, Sonny Jim.  Sounds like I'm older than you but I take the time to type properly because I am well educated and wouldn't want people to think I wasn't.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Twice.

SAR I

lol I still remember your "anomaly" bull crap you were trying to shove on JN. We all know Geno flat out beat that garbage, which isn't a huge statement tbh. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

to be fair he didn't get a chance to compete for the job in 2015 or 2016 for different reasons.

2015:  When Geno returned from the busted face he was ready to go as Fitzpatrick went on a 1-4 slide, including the Oakland game that Geno actually got to play in.  Fitz is playing badly, the team is slumping, the season is going to hell, Smith gets to play almost an entire game, still can't take the job away from the 11th year journeyman.

2016:  With Fitzpatrick holding out for big money and holding the Jets hostage Geno gets all the reps in minicamp, all the time with the coaches, the Jets have every reason in the world to give the keys to the team back to the guy who was their starter the year before and who went 8-8 in a promising rookie year and they don't.  Instead they beg Fitzpatrick to come back and bow to his demands.

Geno Smith had every opportunity to win the starting job away from Fitz the bum in '15 and '16 and he couldn't do it.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

lol I still remember your "anomaly" bull crap you were trying to shove on JN. We all know Geno flat out beat that garbage, which isn't a huge statement tbh. 

Geno Smith is on the RGIII career path.  You may want to get off that bus.

SAR I

I think it's fluff piece by the media to show Fitz as a leader.  All off-season, every writer went out of their way to mention how much of a leader he was on the team, how they can't possibly let him go, record breaking QB and all, and look how that turned out.  Heck, after reading Manish's article on Jets screwing up this season, googled this summer's articles and lo and behold there he is criticizing the Jets for not resigning him sooner.   

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm no Fitzpatrick fan, I just want the scapegoating to stop. 

What what what??? I think you've made it pretty clear how much you love him.

It's time to hold the defense accountable.  They caused this.

Like I said, you've made it pretty clear how much you love Fitz. When the offense puts up 3 points in the first half, the D will naturally have a tough time with all the 3 and outs that garbage strings together. But yeah, the D hasn't been of championship caliber. Outside of Indy game, it hasn't been total garbage either. 

I've owned every iPhone since the 3GS, Sonny Jim.  Sounds like I'm older than you but I take the time to type properly because I am well educated and wouldn't want people to think I wasn't.

SAR I

Oh I see what you're trying to do there. I is nots as educationeds. I is sorries for the mistakens I committeds.

Kcuf ztif dna sid gnikcuf sretroppus.

It's sad, the only thing that Geno Smith Fans have now is Fitz.  

They literally have nothing left to support their Geno fanboi postings of the past 4 years, so they'll act like Fitz failing somehow makes them "right" about Geno.:rolleyes:

At least we're now past the point where so many of these gusy were actively rooting for our QB to get hurt.

At least there is that.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2015:  When Geno returned from the busted face he was ready to go as Fitzpatrick went on a 1-4 slide, including the Oakland game that Geno actually got to play in.  Fitz is playing badly, the team is slumping, the season is going to hell, Smith gets to play almost an entire game, still can't take the job away from the 11th year journeyman.

2016:  With Fitzpatrick holding out for big money and holding the Jets hostage Geno gets all the reps in minicamp, all the time with the coaches, the Jets have every reason in the world to give the keys to the team back to the guy who was their starter the year before and who went 8-8 in a promising rookie year and they don't.  Instead they beg Fitzpatrick to come back and bow to his demands.

Geno Smith had every opportunity to win the starting job away from Fitz the bum in '15 and '16 and he couldn't do it.

SAR I

he didn't get to compete for the job and on that 1-4 Fitz wasn't the problem.

Fitz had a good year last year, they wanted to see him do it again.  we knew he'd eventually be back.  the bottom line is he didn't get to compete for the job in either season.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Perfectionists don't run around like chickens with their heads cut off and then flip the ball to a blocker who has his back turned to the play.

Perfectionists don't throw ground balls to wide open receivers. 

I'm glad Fitz isn't being a dick-baby to the young guys, but whatever with all the Harvard/perfectionist blabber.

Perfectionist implies he strives for it as many people do, yet nobody achieves it.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

One has little to do with the other.  

If you look around the league over the years, a lot of good QB coaches and OC's had played QB.  Very few of them are super talented Super Bowl winning QB's.  Most of them are guys who didn't have the physical talent,but used their smarts to reach what ever level they achieved 

Fitz: Look Bryce, when you're under center, identify where the blitz is coming from. Identify your one on ones. When you snap the ball, go through all your progressions and throw to the open WR. Lead him with your throw. Oh, and move the safety away with a fake pump so you can really throw it deep.

Bryce: Wait, I don't throw into triple coverage and ignore the safety? And underthrow every pass? Thats what I got from studying your film.

Fitz: Bryce, I had limited physical talent. I couldn't do all that.

Bryce: You couldn't go through your progressions? Couldn't pump fake? Couldn't find one on one coverages on 5 wide sets? Are you blind? 

Fitz: I made a 49 on the wonderf*ck test. How dare you point out my weaknesses?

For all parties Geno is better off playing football with another team.

Maybe the Jets didn't give him the coaching and support he needed.

And maybe he's immature too. All the above I'd say.

The Jets need to move on with other QB's and Geno really needs a change of town. IMO, I think he's a talented QB but between the ears he's not the guy you can build long term success around.

Best of luck kid, we have things to do and so do you.

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not taking out all his bad games, merely saying the boilerplate "he leads the NFL in interceptions!" is nothing more than soundbyte fodder because of one ridiculous game in which he was left in to throw 6 interceptions.  Most QB's get pulled after the 3rd.  Definitely the 4th.  I can't think of anyone who was left in after that.

Just too much quarterback scapegoating these days, it distracts from talking about the real problems with the team.

SAR I

Its not one ridiculous game.  Its a game he played this season and goes into his stats. As does any bad game other QBs have played this season.  He wasnt left in to throw 6 INTs.  He threw 6 INTs.  Never heard of the SAR rule where QBs are pulled at 4 INTR as if there is some kind of mercy rule involved.  Actually if I remember his other class act presser he didnt want to get out or sit down even with that nightmare game on his resume.  

The biggest problem of the 2016 season, top of the list is the play of our QB.  Period.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's sad, the only thing that Geno Smith Fans have now is Fitz.  

They literally have nothing left to support their Geno fanboi postings of the past 4 years, so they'll act like Fitz failing somehow makes them "right" about Geno.:rolleyes:

At least we're now past the point where so many of these gusy were actively rooting for our QB to get hurt.

At least there is that.

It does when you spend 2 off seasons debating Fitz vs. Geno. Its sad the only thing Fitznutz have now is attacking Geno fans. 

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Geno never got the opportunity to beat Fitz out either season.  If not for IK Fitz never sees the field.

To act like there was a competition and that he lost is just another in a long line of nonsense around here.

50 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

First of all i wasn't the one to bring him up in this thread.  Secondly, many players have started out their careers poorly only to go to have success later.  We will neve know how he would performed if he hadn't gotten sucker punched in the locker room or injured this year.  What we do know is Ryan Fitzpatrick has never made the playoffs and until last season never win more than 6 games in his career. A feat the worst quarterback in football managed to accomplish as a rookie.  

I don't think we will hear much from Fitzy going forward but Geno Smiths career is not over yet and he may yet turn it around.  

Its the fall back argument. 

Fitz?  He played like shlt after we sold him hard all offseason?   Months on end of ridiculing anyone who even hinted at an open competition.  Well, now, with out an ounce of proof or common sense, Geno would have played worse, we just know.  And trust us, we know QB play. Wasnt that the off season mantra?  Best QB since Namath, lol

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Secondly it's  a lot easier to play mentor when 30+ and on the backend of your career. Than it would be when your 25 and still trying to make it in the league .. when the guy ur mentoring is the same age as you..

Yeah, what's Geno gonna say anyway?

Not to send out dick pics, learn to tell time, don't get punched in the face by a teammate, don't make a scene on an airliner?

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed.

I believe that Fitzpatrick will be resigned next year as our backup.  He's the perfect transitional QB for the role, he's respected in the locker room, he's non-disruptive, and I have a hunch he doesn't want to pull his 5 kids out of school to go join some other desperate team right now.

SAR I

So we are giving up on next yr already ? 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Fitz: Look Bryce, when you're under center, identify where the blitz is coming from. Identify your one on ones. When you snap the ball, go through all your progressions and throw to the open WR. Lead him with your throw. Oh, and move the safety away with a fake pump so you can really throw it deep.

Bryce: Wait, I don't throw into triple coverage and ignore the safety? And underthrow every pass? Thats what I got from studying your film.

Fitz: Bryce, I had limited physical talent. I couldn't do all that.

Bryce: You couldn't go through your progressions? Couldn't pump fake? Couldn't find one on one coverages on 5 wide sets? Are you blind? 

Fitz: I made a 49 on the wonderf*ck test. How dare you point out my weaknesses?

So ya figure Dak Prescott points out to Jason Garrett what a bad NFL QB he was, when he is  coaching him?   :rolleyes:

Sad really that a thread actually reporting how Ryan Fitzpatrick has committed all his energy, intelligence and experience to helping Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg to develop as NFL has to be hijacked and destroyed by
Joewilly12 and j4j4 in their desperate attempt to try and make something useful out of a useless turd known as Geno Smith

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The difference is that Garrett is actually the coach. Fitz is the #2/#3 qb on the team right now because he was benched twice...not because he was hired as a coach.

If he comes back next year, that's a big if, it would mostly be as Petty's mentor.  That was the plan in the original offer the Jets made to him.  4 years, $27 M, 16 guaranteed.  In the original plan it was Petty/Hack's mentor

In order for that to happen Petty would have to play lights out the last 4 games, and become the next great hope at QB.  I like Petty, but I think it will be difficult for him to have a 2-1 TD to pick ratio, and win 3-4 of the last games.  IMO that's what it will take for him to be the favorite to start next season.

I hope it happens, but I will be very, very surprised

Archived