The improbable story of Bryce Petty, who’s no longer ‘fat’ Bryce Petty

Ken Schroy

The improbable story of Bryce Petty, who’s no longer ‘fat’ Bryce Petty 

With the 51st pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Jets selected quarterback Christian Hackenberg of Penn State. With that pick, Bryce Petty knew his career with the Jets might soon be over. Just one year after taking Petty in the fourth round, the Jets took a younger quarterback, two rounds higher in the draft. Entering the season competing with Geno Smith and Hackenberg — behind incumbent starter Ryan Fitzpatrick — a roster spot wasn’t guaranteed for Petty. But less than eight months later, Petty has been named the Jets’ starting quarterback for the rest of the season. “I’m not supposed to be here and I know that, so I don’t take this for granted,” Petty said Wednesday. “There’s not a lot of teams, that I know of anyways, that have taken four quarterbacks. I think it’s been years now since teams have done that. I really appreciate that and it’s something I think about on a daily basis. “My goal since I’ve been in here is to be the starter of the New York Jets. Whether they drafted a kid, I think that’s one of the things that keeps the drive in you, is that they’re always looking for somebody to replace you. … For me it was another reminder that this is for real. Got to put up or shut up kind of thing. It was great for me because I got to push myself and I’m here now.” With the Jets mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, coach Todd Bowles announced after Monday’s blowout loss to the Colts that Petty would take Fitzpatrick’s place, giving the 25-year-old a four-game audition to find out if he could be the quarterback of the future.

It begins Sunday in San Francisco. It will be the start of an era — or just another failed quarterback experiment. “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t know that,” Petty said when asked about what his performance might mean for his future. “For me, this is an awesome opportunity.” For months, Brandon Marshall has noticed the second-year quarterback preparing for the chance he didn’t know would come. “The first person I see every morning is Bryce Petty because he’s the first one in every day,” Marshall said. And that person is completely unrecognizable to Marshall, who previously knew Petty as an out-of-shape rookie. “Last year he was fat and overweight,” Marshall said. “I’m being honest. Fitz picked on him all year. … Now I can’t beat him in [here]. … He’s been doing that all year. His body has changed. He’s ripped up, he has abs and he’s focused. … He’s relentless about it.” The extra work hasn’t meant much for Petty in limited action. Appearing in relief in the loss to the Colts, Petty completed 11-of-25 passes for 135 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. In his only career start Nov. 13 — in place of an injured Fitzpatrick — Petty was 19-of-32 for 163 yards, one touchdown and one interception, which sealed a 9-6 loss to the Rams.

Now, for the first time, Petty knows he will be starting. He will spend the entire week taking first-team reps. He knows what’s ahead. He knows what’s being asked. He knows what’s at stake. “A full week of practice, him being the guy, we’ll see the progress he makes,” Bowles said. “See if he learned from the week before and see if he calms down and the game gets slower for him and he gains more confidence.” For Marshall, Wednesday’s practice already revealed a difference. “He looked really good,” Marshall said. “Sometimes you don’t want to say too much because you want to keep expectations low, but I thought he looked really poised and comfortable, more so than Monday night. He threw the ball extremely well and he threw it where it was supposed to go.”

Sounds like he had a good practice yesterday. Let see how he looks on Sunday.

Just now, Beerfish said:

actually getting 1st team reps and a proper game plan that suits him will be a big help.

I sure hope so.  We could use SOME positivity before this year ends.

Petty as possible #1, Hack as #2, New Draftpick as #3 next year would be nice IMO.  No old men taking up space, all guys with potential.

One fails, next man up.

Archived