Jets Place Mangold on IR; Possibly Done as Team Looks for Replacement?

JetNation

IMG_5815.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Another piece of bad news out of Jets land today as the team announced long-time center Nick Mangold, who has been battling an ankle injury since week 7, has been placed on season-ending IR after re-aggravating the injury on Monday night.

With just one year left on his current contract at the bloated price tag of $9 million, it would appear Mangold is in line for a pay cut, or a new employer in 2017.

While it’s impossible to know exactly who Jets scouts are eyeing in the college ranks, we have confirmed that the team was credentialed for games involving Baylor, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech and LSU, all of whom have centers who are considered to be among each teams top-rated draft-eligible players.  Make of that what you will.

In a perfect world, if Gang Green were eyeing a young center, Mangold could be brought back at a lower price to mentor the rookie, but in the cutthroat business of the NFL, a team as cap-stripped as the Jets may just cut bait choose to move on.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YMB3TYxZITs

Click here to read the full story...

13 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Thanks BTW

I've borrowed and used your terrific FOUR YEAR REBUILD concept at a number of places and it receives nearly unanimous applause

Not sure if serious...?  Some think it is the correct route.  More than a few at JN hate it.

3 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Absolutely

Just giving you due cred for the long term idea.

Thanx

Cool, man.  I am glad to hear that others think it is the right way to get where we want to go.  And that is a SB.  Not the short-sighted, 10-6 wildcard birth playoff exit.

It's time. Myself & a few others here have been complaining about Mangolds bloated weight and how his it was effecting his movement. 9 million for an old Center is ridiculous coin. I loved Mangold, but I still think Mawae was a more versatile center.

Let the rebuild begin. Woody has to put his trust in Macc & his scouts. This is when drafting is imperative to your future success & our future has to be looked at in a wider lens (a few years) than through a pinhole (next year). The bandaid cure for our Jets has to stop this year.

12 hours ago, RoadFan said:

A rebuild is finally about to begin.  The OL is the right place to start.  Figures that the Jets luck would have a lousy year at the top of the draft for a Tackle in 2017.

It is about time... Should have been done in Macc's first year. I don't put that on him however because I truly believe that Woody has put his nose where it doesn't belong and gave Macc the "make me competitive" speach... OL is absolutely the place to start...

hey, it's time to replace mangold.  it happens.  he's been a great player for a very long time and now it's time to move on.  as for the 4 year rebuild process, the timeframe is right given the average caree span of a player.  at the end of 4 seasons there maybe 10 or so hold overs from the start.  and the cba doesn't make it easy for teams to stockpile players by limiting the rookie contract years and forcing teams to spend to 80-90% of the cap.

at least good centers are easier to come by than left tackles.

5 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

What about a pay cut and moving him to a guard position? Would extend his playing days, its not as physical and he is a good down-field, pulling blocker, just a thought.

Guard is the one position on the line we are set at, presuming of course they resign Winters.

Actually, while most of us know how OL building is what make us have our window of being contenders some years back, the Oline has not played bad this year. They have done ok and sometimes well in the run blocking and the QBs have stayed clean for the most part. Them throwing INTs when there is little to no pressure on them can't be blamed on pass protection, but moreso on bad decision making, but that is subject for other threads. We should re-sign Winters if he doesn't get rediculous offers since he has developed pretty well and Carpenter is a good guard. Our depth there with Dozzy and a few others with even lesser experience needs to be bolstered. Wesley at Center is OK, but obviously a highly touted draftee at Center is in order. We can try to fill over the next few years the RT position with what we have with QVale/Shell, but Iglina(sp?) is a pure stop gap as LT. He is OK for depth there, but somehow we need a solid LT from either a good draft prospect, FA, trade, etc. but nobody in their right mind would trade a good LT worth anything since they are so critical for the blind side blocking i.e Clady types are useless. So, to summarize my post like half our draft this year or at least 3 picks or so that are between the 1st and 5th round probably need to be dedicated to the Oline i.e LT, C, Guard, in that order. Throw in a draft pick for a RB, TE, and CB, and maybe yet another OLB pass rusher, and well we don't have enough picks this year for all that since that is 7 and we only have 6 picks right now. Maybe we get the extra pick needed for a Richardson trade. Forget the number 1 thye wanted since his stock has plummeted like the 2008 crash, so wishful thinking to me is perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Or, maybe someone would trade a player like a RT or something for him. Note, that I am leaving out drafting a QB since it would make more sense in a year where the 1st round QBs seem to be lower blue chip prospects that we get a Vet to compete with both Petty and Hack next year and whoever is best go with him. If it's not Hack and we are mostly losing give Hack the ball sometime next seasons and see what he can do. This all in the meantime if we lose mostly will judge what we currently have with our 2 young QBs while the rest of the younger players we have and draft get a full good year of experience. We win and fine, we lose a lot and no QB looks good then we'll land a high pick again and see what QBs come out in the 2018 crop that could be better blue chip prospects we can perhaps obtain.

4 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

What about a pay cut and moving him to a guard position? Would extend his playing days, its not as physical and he is a good down-field, pulling blocker, just a thought.

It's been a long time since Mangold was getting very far downfield. His best days have long passed him by. Let some other team pay him for his glory days. He won't be offered anything over vet minimum unless a team like Jacksonville makes the mistake.

Don't know how, but seems we have to prioritize our secondary to some level at both CB and S. That area is our biggest liability on the same level with QB, but at QB you can limit the damage with game plans i.e just letting the QB manage the game if need be, but in the secondary it is much more difficult than that. Team blowing the top off our D has got to stop or we will have losing records till that is fixed.  

Archived