..time to start phasing out Revis & other older veterans ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- The New York Jets have reached their e-season.

Evaluation time.

"A bunch of young guys will get some playing time," coach Todd Bowles said. "They've been getting time; they'll probably get a little more."

This is a delicate balancing act for any coach because egos are involved. No one wants to tell a well-respected veteran to take a seat, but in a situation like this, it has to be done for the long-term benefit of the team.They've already made the move at quarterback, benching Ryan Fitzpatrick in favor of Bryce Petty. Now Bowles needs to scale back the playing time of three other core players: David Harris, Brandon Marshall and Darrelle Revis, none of whom is a lock to return next season. This isn't to suggest they should be benched, but there should be a gradual reduction of snaps. They can start with a series or two Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers, and go from there.

Revis, whose swift decline has been shocking, probably will be a goner anyway because of his outrageous contract, so why not take a look at Nick Marshall or rookie Juston Burris at cornerback? Maybe they can give nickelback Darryl Roberts a chance to play on the outside. Rebuilding the cornerback position will be one of the top priorities in the offseason.

Brandon Marshall has showed his toughness by playing through injuries, not missing a game, but he's 32 and his production is down. He's due to make $7.5 million next year, so his future will be one of the most interesting internal discussions in the offseason. In the meantime, he doesn't have to be an every-down player for the stretch run. The Jets could -- and should -- give some of Marshall's snaps to Devin Smith, who probably will be active for the first time since blowing out his knee last November.

Harris runs the defense, so it's hard to take him off the field in base situations. But when the Jets go to the dime package, they can use rookie Darron Lee as the only linebacker, as they did a couple of weeks ago. Lee has a lot of talent, but he needs to be exposed to as much football as possible before he succeeds Harris as the quarterback of the defense. Almost 33, Harris' days as an every-down linebacker probably are over, which will factor into his off-season evaluation.

Steve McLendon's hamstring injury has created an opportunity for Deon Simon, who played a lot in Week 13 on the defensive line. Tackles Brent Qvale and rookie Brandon Shell are waiting in the wings.

"We’re just going to get guys some playing time and start subbing them in here and there," Bowles said.

'Tis the season.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65460/time-for-jets-to-start-phasing-out-darrelle-revis-other-older-veterans

I really wish this was done from the start of the season. Even if the vete came through and played as well as last year, wouldn't have been enough to win the division or super bowl.

This was always a rebuild anyway. I blame Bowles Mac and Woody equally. They should have accepted reality.

Yep. These are the guys I want to see get more snaps:  

WR: J. Marshall, R.Anderson, C.Peake, D.Smith

TE: ASJ

RB: B.Wilds, Robinson

O-line: Qvale, Shell, Dozier, W.Johnson

QB: Petty, Hack

CB: Burris, Marshall, D.Roberts

S: Middleton, Milez

LB: J.Jenkins, Lee, J.Martin, A.Brown, Catapano

D-Line: A.Johnson, D.Simon

You have to be careful b/c you want to give Petty a fair shake. You want an O-line that can protect him and you want receivers that will catch the ball. But I would not mind if LITERALLY all of these guys were upgraded to starting roles where applicable just so we can see what we have in these players. And sadly, losing helps us right now. The closer we get to a top 3 draft pick, the more potential for a haul via trade down  

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You have to be careful b/c you want to give Petty a fair shake. You want an O-line that can protect him and you want receivers that will catch the ball. But I would not mind if LITERALLY all of these guys were upgraded to starting roles where applicable just so we can see what we have in these players. And sadly, losing helps us right now. The closer we get to a top 3 draft pick, the more potential for a haul via trade down  

A big +1, it's no legitimate evaluation if you play the young QB behind a Pre-season 4th Quarter future-meat-cutters-of-America roster vs. NFL Season #1's.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A big +1, it's no legitimate evaluation if you play the young QB behind a Pre-season 4th Quarter future-meat-cutters-of-America roster vs. NFL Season #1's.

I agree. Ideally, it would be a situation where Bowles makes substitutions throughout. Putting Qvale in on run plays, keeping Carpenter in, playing Shell and Dozier situationally, pulling some of these guys if they are struggling- that kind of thing. 

But also, if you look at the young WRs, they are really not that bad. These guys can get open. They just need to work on securing the catch. 

And sadly, benching guys like Skrine and Revis for Roberts and Burris may actually be an upgrade. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Yep. These are the guys I want to see get more snaps:  

WR: J. Marshall, R.Anderson, C.Peake, D.Smith

TE: ASJ

RB: B.Wilds, Robinson

O-line: Qvale, Shell, Dozier, W.Johnson

QB: Petty, Hack

CB: Burris, Marshall, D.Roberts

S: Middleton, Milez

LB: J.Jenkins, Lee, J.Martin, A.Brown, Catapano

D-Line: A.Johnson, D.Simon

Shell will be out of the league next year.

56 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If we are being honest Revis has already phased himself out. But yeah sure. 

Facts .... Revis may be the biggest gift and curse we ever drafted ..  dude always took the jets to cleaners in negotiations from day 1.  Then he leaves signs and win a ring with our biggest rivals . Then comes back fleece us for another big deal.. I get the feeling BB knew Revis was washed that's why they didn't even sweat him leaving .. 

27 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Facts .... Revis may be the biggest gift and curse we ever drafted ..  dude always took the jets to cleaners in negotiations from day 1.  Then he leaves signs and win a ring with our biggest rivals . Then comes back fleece us for another big deal.. I get the feeling BB knew Revis was washed that's why they didn't even sweat him leaving .. 

Facts^

32 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

F Darrelle Revis 

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really wish this was done from the start of the season. Even if the vete came through and played as well as last year, wouldn't have been enough to win the division or super bowl.

This was always a rebuild anyway. I blame Bowles Mac and Woody equally. They should have accepted reality.

Any coach / GM who starts off the season saying they're not good enough to win it all, so they won't bother trying, should be fired on the spot.

15 hours ago, jamesr said:

Any coach / GM who starts off the season saying they're not good enough to win it all, so they won't bother trying, should be fired on the spot.

Publicly and to the team? Yeah. Privately between the 3 of them, outlining a real plan for rebuilding? No

23 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Phasing out?  As in putting them on a flight to Kazakhstan?  Absolutely.

Nursultan Tuliagbye - he is my neighbor - he is pain in  my assholes...I get a step, he get a step, I get a clock radio, he cannot afford - great success!

• 2 weeks later...

Burris Steps Up to the Challenge

Posted 20 hours ago

•  
  •  

Rookie CB Collected His First Career INT Against the Dolphins

GettyImages-630168822_master-burris-top.

Juston Burrisicon-article-link.gif knew the Dolphins were going to target him Saturday night at MetLife Stadium. Primarily a special teams contributor early in the season, the fourth-round pick from NC State was making his first career start.“I knew they were going to come at me because it was my start as a rookie,” he said. “I just wanted to step up to the challenge to help this defense and just try to lock down my side of the field because I knew they weren’t going to go at Rev. That’s Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif, so I knew they were going to come at me. I just tried to play with technique and not let the moment get too big.”

The Jets dominated the opening quarter of action, but the Dolphins responded and the two teams were locked in a tight affair midway through the second quarter. Lining up in off coverage on a third-down blitz, Burris stuck with WR Kenny Stills on a curl route and was credited with a PD. But with 2:06 remaining in the half, Stills got a free release on the rookie and the result was a 52-yard scoring reception.“We were in zero coverage and that’s me against him. He got me that route, he kind of got inside of me,” Burris said. “I had to speed-turn on it and I just didn’t catch up to him at the time. That’s just technique, that’s just me. I should have made the play, I should have locked it down.”

“Obviously he got beat on a deep ball. We were in (cover) zero, so he should have stayed up in press,” added head coach Todd Bowles. “He kind of backed off and got in no man’s land and got indecisive and I think that caused him to get beat on the play. But overall I thought he played well.”

Throughout training camp, Burris displayed a knack for resiliency. He would give up a big play and then he would answer with a play of his own. And on Saturday night, Burris showed what he is made of on the Dolphins’ next possession. Moore threw incomplete to Burris’ side on second down and he went after the rookie on third down as well. But this time, Burris closed well on a vertical ball down the sideline to WR DeVante Parker and he recorded his first INT of his career.“It was a go route. I knew they were going to throw deep to No. 11 and I knew they were coming at me,” said Burris, who had six interceptions at NC State. “So I tried to get my head back, find the ball and just made the play.”

In just a few days, Burris will line up against a legend in Cheaters QB Tom Brady. Known for his physicality, the 6’1”, 212-pound Burris will attempt to prevent the big plays by tackling well in space. His education is ongoing and  these reps at corner are invaluable.“I think it’s great,” he said. “Obviously as a team we’re not doing as well as we know we can be, but personally I’m trying to get better and this experience and these plays and reps are going to help me for later on.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Burris-Steps-Up-to-the-Challenge-/ace23202-a3b2-4fc7-8bb2-e76dae12c419

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

He actually played pretty well Sat. night.

If Shell and Quale can play RT, that is HUGE.  Sign someone to play LT for a few years, and then develop someone long term.

1st round CB, second round best of Edge/OT,, third same.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If Shell and Quale can play RT, that is HUGE.  Sign someone to play LT for a few years, and then develop someone long term.

I don't want to pass on an edge rusher if we have one staring us in the face come our 1st pick. Not having edge rushers is wasting Leo!

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, RSJ said:

This season could turn out to be a very productive one. Seeing what guys have the dedication and ability to play at this level and which ones don't. Could solve some draft and free agency needs.

Yeah, like making us realize that we need new blood at virtually every position ...

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I would take a flyer on Jake Long , he's coming off an achilles tear but can be a stud if he rehabs well. As a backup plan I'd offer Andrew Whitworth a 1 year deal - he's old and will be expensive but is arguably the best FA OL available. 

For CB I would make an offer to Jeraud Powers from Bal with Greg Toler or Leon Hall as fallback options.

Then I draft Fournette in Rd1 and add the best OL/OLB in Rd2/3 of the draft  followed by CB in Rd3/4

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I would take a flyer on Jake Long , he's coming off an achilles tear but can be a stud if he rehabs well. As a backup plan I'd offer Andrew Whitworth a 1 year deal - he's old and will be expensive but is arguably the best FA OL available. 

For CB I would make an offer to Jeraud Powers from Bal with Greg Toler or Leon Hall as fallback options.

Then I draft Fournette in Rd1 and add the best OL/OLB in Rd2/3 of the draft  followed by CB in Rd3/4

Generally, OL seems a good bet for Hold the Fort.  Whitworth on a short, make it happen contract could work for that.

Don't know whether I would pay much for a CB at HTF.  Signing a Gimore to a Carpenter like contract, assuming he can still be effective in 3-4 years, seems like a better investment.  He needs an incentivized contract to keep him motivated so he does not check out.  To give credit where credit is due, the Giants did a good job with their FAs (Janoris Jenkins, Snacks, Vernon) keeping them motivated after they were paid.

The Jets have too many holes to fill this year from the draft.  The question is how many are filled in FA this year, and then next, while they start drafting this year.

Some players from this year should get second chances to rehab from injury, get better coached, etc.  The coaching this year was SO BAD it is tough to see how good players actually are.  But to the extent someone was seriously injured (Gilcrest, Decker), when in doubt, cut the cord. Not worth it.  How much did Devin Smith play this year?  Special teams tackle?

On 12/20/2016 at 1:40 PM, varjet said:

trade down..  we need ALOT MORE picks  :cry:

Archived