Kiper says Jets should ignore QB in rd. 1...go defense.

AFJF

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/12/mel_kiper_thinks_jets_should_ignore_qb_draft_this.html

There's always a 'but' for Jets fans.

As the 2016 season spirals out of control, the Jets are putting themselves in position to have one of the top picks in the 2017 NFL Draft--but there's a problem with the upcoming class of draftees: No true franchise quarterback seems to be present.

That comes from the mind of ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper.

During a conference call on Thursday to discuss the 2017 NFL Draft, Kiper was down on the idea of this class having any sure-fire top 10-caliber quarterback picks.

Among the best quarterbacks available, Kiper likes North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky. The problem? With only 13 career starts under his belt--less than Mark Sanchez had coming out of USC--Kiper believes Trubisky would be better served heading back to school before playing his way into No. 1 overall pick status in 2018. As for the other highly-touted throwers?

Kiper was critical of Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer after playing in an offense that may not have been suited for him, thinks Clemson's Deshaun Watson needs to play well in the College Football Playoff to put himself back in the conversation of the first round and suggested that Miami's Brad Kaaya go back to school for another year.

Where are Jets picking?

So, what should the Jets do?

"Do you just stretch it for a quarterback? After taking Sanchez (with limited number of college starts), they shouldn't," Kiper said. "When you draft Christian Hackenberg, you don't come back and take a quarterback unless he's spectacular. Offensive line? Too early. Wide receiver? Too early. Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster is my guy. I've been talking him up all fall. That would allow you do different things with Darron Lee. Foster is one of my favorite players. He's spectacular. That's where I would go if I was the Jets inside the top 10."

Foster recently received the Dick Butkus Award, presented annually to the best linebacker in the country.

The SEC star led the Crimson Tide in tackles, including 12 tackles for loss and four sacks during an undefeated regular season.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how about trading down?  package sheldon, wilk, and their first round pick for 2 lower first rounders and maybe a 3rd.  get the beef for the oline and also pick up another corner.  there are qb's out there who can be traded for or are free agents.  or maybe petty or hack for next season.  the problem with the jets is that they need to fix both offense and defense.  i'm sure most thought the defense was fixed after mac brought in revis, gilchrist, and skrine.  it wasn't.

Sound logic really.  And Foster is literally a monster.  He could be that edge rusher we've never had.

I know it's the last thing Jets fans want to hear but he's right.  The prospects at WR (which we really don't need), OL and QB aren't valued in the top 5.

The only issue is, BigMac has shown that he has zero clue how to draft based on value. So I'm sure he'll reach, again. 

44 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sound logic really.  And Foster is literally a monster.  He could be that edge rusher we've never had.

I know it's the last thing Jets fans want to hear but he's right.  The prospects at WR (which we really don't need), OL and QB aren't valued in the top 5.

The only issue is, BigMac has shown that he has zero clue how to draft based on value. So I'm sure he'll reach, again. 

Yeah problem with that is foster is not an edge rusher....but he is my 2nd fav defense choice behind Peppers....I would not be dissappointed.  

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

Does the name Leonard Williams mean anything to you?

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's frustrating as a fan to watch the Jets possibly go defense in round 1 but IMO they have 3 big needs to fill.

1. QB

2. O-Line

3. Secondary

Obviously there are other needs but these are the biggest. So if the Jets drafted a CB in the first round it would be hard for me to complain. 

You go with what the draft gives you. OL and WRs and possibly QBs are not good in this draft

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

how about trading down?  package sheldon, wilk, and their first round pick for 2 lower first rounders and maybe a 3rd.  get the beef for the oline and also pick up another corner.  there are qb's out there who can be traded for or are free agents.  or maybe petty or hack for next season.  the problem with the jets is that they need to fix both offense and defense.  i'm sure most thought the defense was fixed after mac brought in revis, gilchrist, and skrine.  it wasn't.

Who are you talking about trading with? Do you think a team will want MO's contract

I would trade down and get another 2nd or 3rd rounder then draft Dalvin Cook later in the 1st and then add a ton of OL talent in the subsequent rounds. I believe the Jets will bring a vet to either start or back-up Petty if he wins the job. Having a young prototypical RB to play with Petty can only help.

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Who are you talking about trading with? Do you think a team will want MO's contract

these things can be worked out.  the jets are going to pay for him regardless but paying for cancer is just plain stupid.  if he does have a bad attitude it will affect the whole defense.  that's my point.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Nobody wants these guys.  You cant trade for guys nobody wanrs.

the last year we tried trading both these guys and couldnt do it.  Now they are both coming off bad seasons and tou think anybody wants them?

You cannot have enough down linemen...

On a serious note, someone who can pressure the QB or cover a #1 WR will be fine with me.  Getting the pick right -- meaning a immediately productive player -- is what it's about.  I am not interested in the minutia of the pick.

these draft TV stars have an arc, I've noticed it the last few years

they start somewhere with the idea that they will change the story about 5 - 10 times, with about 3 changes coming in the last 2 weeks before the draft

so he is just giving himself a starting point

wouldn't surprise me if he plans on going QB with the jets pick 2 weeks before the draft, just to change it to corner then OLB

You guys remember when Thomas Jones demolished the league and our average qb in Sanchez brought us to the playoffs? The game is won in the trenches. Build up the damn o-line first draft an edge later use the cap space we'll have to rebuild the defense.

This is a weird draft to be honest.  It's more of a depth draft than a top heavy star studded  affair.  Lot of bust potential in the top ten, but there's probably quite a lot of picks that might turn out to be excellent through several rounds.

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Woody should just hand the keys to the franchise over to Mel Kiper while he's off in the UK. At least if we're going to suck anyway we can prove this guy doesn't know what the **** he's talking about

"If Jimmy Clausen is not a successful NFL QB, I'm done. That's it. I'm out." -Mel Kiper

I'm thinking there are only 4 positions that warrant 1st round picks very high.

QB, LT, Edge Rusher, and #1 shut down corner.

And as fate would have it, these are four positions of biggest need right now.

Our problem is that we draft run defenders, safeties, and cover LBers.  

We have neglected the OL, we draft projects that our coaches can't develop at QB and pass rushers, our secondary is old and has communication issues.

We don't pick this high very often.  If we don't solidify one of these four needs, it will be a wasted pick.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I want the best player possible. We suck across the board, except Leonard Williams. 

Archived