Kiper says Jets should ignore QB in rd. 1...go defense.

AFJF

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Woody should just hand the keys to the franchise over to Mel Kiper while he's off in the UK. At least if we're going to suck anyway we can prove this guy doesn't know what the **** he's talking about

Kills two birds with one stone. I like it!

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

With the edge rusher the top one will probably be gone when we pick.

Your probably right.  Myles Garrett, at this point, is widely regarded as the best. Could even go #1

There are several others who might be available in the early 2nd.  Jets are needy in several positions.  IMO there will be a very good player available,at 5.  if that's where they pick.  I'm thinking Peppers.  If not Mike Williams, Fournette.  There will be a good player there at a need position 

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Your probably right.  Myles Garrett, at this point, is widely regarded as the best. Could even go #1

There are several others who might be available in the early 2nd.  Jets are needy in several positions.  IMO there will be a very good player available,at 5.  if that's where they pick.  I'm thinking Peppers.  If not Mike Williams, Fournette.  There will be a good player there at a need position 

Garrett sounds like he's the pass rusher this team has been looking for since abraham... I think OT is going to be the priority in terms of position of need but with a top 5 pick it's all adding the best talent possible. I wouldn't be upset if it ended up being a QB, but if that was the case I'd prefer to trade back with a team like carolina who could really use a stud like fournette

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why are you not asking the instigator that question?

Basically because in my mind you egged that on with your jerk each other off comment earlier.  Not that big of a deal, I just believe that people should be able to have different opinions without the name calling.  Have a good night.

The words that I worried about just as much as my view that the Hack pick was a lousy one.

"When you draft Christian Hackenberg, you don't come back and take a quarterback unless he's spectacular. "  One of the QB prospects will fall to us in the 2nd round and we will avoid him because we took Hack.  Not that any of these guys are world beaters but we will pass none the less.

Re: Ruebin Foster, Very good player, will do well in the NFL, if the Jets draft back to back ILB's with top 20 picks in the last two drafts they will be the biggest idiots of all time.  The Lee pick was iffy at best.  His big calling card was that he was a playmaker and would be able to cover backs and tes.  He hasn't created any turnovers, 1 sack, 3 pass defended. He has a bunch of tackles but has made no appreciable impact.  He will get better but will only start making areal impact if the d coaches actually decided what kind of defense they are playing.

OLB pass rusher.  This has been a huge need for years and even in the rex years was a big missing piece, the problem?  Our D coaches have zero clue how to use olbs, none whatsoever.  We could draft the best edge rusher in the draft and Bowles and his Dc will have him playing 4-3 olb and dropping into coverage and such.  We actually have two 3-4 olbs and though they are not gifted pass rushers they hardly seem to see the field and be given a chance in that capacity.  In 'theory' the quality of our interior line should make olbs big impact players.

We may draft defense, and it may be the right thing to do but I am going to bloody well hate drafting D in the 1st round, yet again.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The words that I worried about just as much as my view that the Hack pick was a lousy one.

"When you draft Christian Hackenberg, you don't come back and take a quarterback unless he's spectacular. "  One of the QB prospects will fall to us in the 2nd round and we will avoid him because we took Hack.  Not that any of these guys are world beaters but we will pass none the less.

Re: Ruebin Foster, Very good player, will do well in the NFL, if the Jets draft back to back ILB's with top 20 picks in the last two drafts they will be the biggest idiots of all time.  The Lee pick was iffy at best.  His big calling card was that he was a playmaker and would be able to cover backs and tes.  He hasn't created any turnovers, 1 sack, 3 pass defended. He has a bunch of tackles but has made no appreciable impact.  He will get better but will only start making areal impact if the d coaches actually decided what kind of defense they are playing.

OLB pass rusher.  This has been a huge need for years and even in the rex years was a big missing piece, the problem?  Our D coaches have zero clue how to use olbs, none whatsoever.  We could draft the best edge rusher in the draft and Bowles and his Dc will have him playing 4-3 olb and dropping into coverage and such.  We actually have two 3-4 olbs and though they are not gifted pass rushers they hardly seem to see the field and be given a chance in that capacity.  In 'theory' the quality of our interior line should make olbs big impact players.

We may draft defense, and it may be the right thing to do but I am going to bloody well hate drafting D in the 1st round, yet again.

It's not crazy at all to consider taking a QB early. Carolina took clausen at #48 the year before they drafted newton. If they think Watson or kizer or whoever is the guy then they will take him

17 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Does Ruben foster have great first-step? Does he have that pass rusher bend and get parallel to the ground? If he has those things, he'll be gone by 5.

I haven't watched him, but 4 sacks? Meh

I'm pretty sure he's more of a David Harris type LB and would be a great pick at #29

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

FOurnette will depend on his medical examination. I've now begun to hear some meh things on Peppers. But I think he would still be an instant producer. Peppers, Fournette or trade back appear to be my 3 options right now for that pick.

That's why I dont think it's that bad if the Jets win a game or 2 here.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

FOurnette will depend on his medical examination. I've now begun to hear some meh things on Peppers. But I think he would still be an instant producer. Peppers, Fournette or trade back appear to be my 3 options right now for that pick.

That's why I dont think it's that bad if the Jets win a game or 2 here.

Agree

The problem with Peppers is he doesn't have a true position that he will be an All Pro at, but you can line him up at S, LB'er, or CB, and still have an excellent player.  Will be a night mare  for OC's to game plan for

On 12/10/2016 at 0:16 PM, SickJetFan said:

Yeah problem with that is foster is not an edge rusher....but he is my 2nd fav defense choice behind Peppers....I would not be dissappointed.  

I like Peppers too. He could be the leader this team has needed. Not right away of course but if he plays up to or exceeds expectations he could morph into a leader just by example. Pryor and Gilchrist offer nothing at the safety position that the Jets can't do without. Peppers would be my selection.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

I like Peppers too. He could be the leader this team has needed. Not right away of course but if he plays up to or exceeds expectations he could morph into a leader just by example. Pryor and Gilchrist offer nothing at the safety position that the Jets can't do without. Peppers would be my selection.

Plus have you seen him return punts.....he is a game changer.

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree

The problem with Peppers is he doesn't have a true position that he will be an All Pro at, but you can line him up at S, LB'er, or CB, and still have an excellent player.  Will be a night mare  for OC's to game plan for

Not to mention that he is a fantastic return man. He's a freak, and will bring a lot to the table. The Jets need to concentrate on one area at a time. I think the secondary is primary to rebuild. Revis, Gilchrist and Pryor could all be gone next year as could Miles. Need to find out if Justin Burris can play. The draft Peppers and a CB in round two. OL in later rounds.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Walter Football did. I really dont know what to make of Watson. I can see him being another Geno Smith

That's how I see him as well. Good college player with speed and size, but option offense means he will need at least a year to sit and learn. Jets already have enough of those. I think you have to rebuild the secondary to make the d-line more effective. If the Jets can get someone decent in coverage the line will get more sacks and pressures. Offensive line needs can be addressed in later rounds. Jets always seem to find a fifth or sixth round OL that can play. Jets are ok at WR and RB for one more season. Need a TE and Penn State has a good one that could be had in third round.

Sound logic really.  And Foster is literally a monster.  He could be that edge rusher we've never had.
I know it's the last thing Jets fans want to hear but he's right.  The prospects at WR (which we really don't need), OL and QB aren't valued in the top 5.
The only issue is, BigMac has shown that he has zero clue how to draft based on value. So I'm sure he'll reach, again. 

Yea zero ability to draft based on value as can clearly be seen with when he drafted williams over Kevin white or Lee over Paxton lynch.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2016 at 11:28 AM, JiF said:

Sound logic really.  And Foster is literally a monster.  He could be that edge rusher we've never had.

I know it's the last thing Jets fans want to hear but he's right.  The prospects at WR (which we really don't need), OL and QB aren't valued in the top 5.

The only issue is, BigMac has shown that he has zero clue how to draft based on value. So I'm sure he'll reach, again. 

Never had??? Boy you must be young... We have had plenty of edge rushers on this team.  Most notably and recently John Abraham or try Mark Gastineau... Come on now. And

Mac reached for one player... Hack, the rest were all value picks... Jordan Jenkins, a second rounder in the 3rd. Burris a 3rd rounder in the 4th... and plenty of UDFA to boot...

Archived