Where Does Geno Smith End Up? Only Serious Posts Please

JetBlue

For those of you who could care less, please, please do us all a big favor and just ignore this post.  We all know he will soon be an ex-Jet so we don't have to rehash how much he sucks etc. etc. 

As much as many despise the guy, someone will probably sign him this off season and I am curious as to where he may wind up.   

Here are some possibilities: 

Cleveland Browns - I mean why the hell not.  I mean RG3... enough said about that.

San Francisco 49ers - It is obvious the Kaepernick is leaving; if they don't get Romo or Cutler, I could see Smith landing there.  Who knows, maybe he thrives under Chip Kellys' offense, assuming he is still the HC.

Chicago - If Cutler leaves they may consider bringing in someone like Geno to compete although I think they would be a contender for Glennon.

Arizona - Palmer is done; I am not sure who their back up is but again I could see them bringing Geno and having him compete. Glennon is an option here too. 

Of course he could be signed as a back up for any number of teams looking for a young, cheap veteran quarterback with starting experience but those are the 4 teams where he has the best chance to win a starting job imho.  

It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career around... 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly I think that the big shoe to drop with quarterbacks will be whatever Jacksonville does with Bortles. If he and guys like Romo and Tyrod become available, in addition to guys like Cutler and Glennon and Hoyer, then a guy like Geno coming off of surgery, who may not be ready for training camp, may have trouble finding a shot at a starting competition. His playing resume is bad and his outward personal perception is not good. Not sure it's so much a question of where for Geno, but if at all. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Honestly I think that the big shoe to drop with quarterbacks will be whatever Jacksonville does with Bortles. If he and guys like Romo and Tyrod become available, in addition to guys like Cutler and Glennon and Hoyer, then a guy like Geno coming off of surgery, who may not be ready for training camp, may have trouble finding a shot at a starting competition. His playing resume is bad and his outward personal perception is not good. Not sure it's so much a question of where for Geno, but if at all. 

i can't see geno getting a starter's job anywhere.

I don't think any team brings him in for serious starter competition. His talent level plus his injury risk is too great. He's been injured in the first regular season he's played for the past two seasons. Even if you think he's a good QB the injury risk and absence from the field for a couple years makes him a question mark at best. 

From a talent perspective he could have his choice of backup positions. Unfortunately I suspect teams will have the same ideas about his injury risks. Who can afford to have a backup that might be injured after the starter is injured? It means the team would have to carry and dress three QBs every week. 

Geno's best role would be as a number three on a team developing a young backup where they need a good scout team QB. He's pretty much perfect for that. Geno is known to be pretty good in practice and has some mobility. There would be no pressure to win so he'd play at the top of his talent. In a pinch the team could elevate him to backup. Lots of teams could be in that range. Possible destinations could be DEN, IND, SEA, NYG. Question is whether Geno would accept third string pay or try to hold out for a team desperate for a vet backup and willing to roll the dice on him.

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I think he has good chance to stay and be a back up here. He knows the system. He will be cost effective and he may not take many snaps from the 2 younger QB's

If that happens Macc needs to be fired now.  smith is the most devisive player the Jets have had as long as i can remember.

Agree with Jetdawgg (great handle BTW)

Don't be surprised if they bring him back to compete with Petty for the starting job and don't be surprised if he wins it. Remember that he does know the system and he never got the chance that Fitzpatrick did with actual receivers and all that. Unfortunately, next year's team will be unable to support him either and the fan base will be displeased with the results.

It all has to do with who is willing to throw what money after him. Still, if he goes elsewhere, it will be strange seeing him in another uniform.

10 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't think any team brings him in for serious starter competition. His talent level plus his injury risk is too great. He's been injured in the first regular season he's played for the past two seasons.

I'm not sure he's really considered an "injury risk" for one injury.  He started for 2 years and only missed a couple of games.  Oh, and he got punched in the jaw...

8 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

I think he has good chance to stay and be a back up here. He knows the system. He will be cost effective and he may not take many snaps from the 2 younger QB's

Let's say all of that is true. What motivates him to stay if he thinks any other team would give him a shot? He's competing with two young QBs drafted by current management. The HC does not seem thrilled with him. Many players do not seem thrilled with him. The GM does not seem to like him--although one must wonder whether Woody made the call to bring back Fitz at the last minute. Either way, at least one of the GM or owner does not trust him in the driver's seat. 

2 minutes ago, thshadow said:

I'm not sure he's really considered an "injury risk" for one injury.  He started for 2 years and only missed a couple of games.  Oh, and he got punched in the jaw...

He injured his shoulder in the OAK game last year when he came in for Fitz after Fitz was injured. Then he suffered injury when he came in the BAL game. Back to back years of injuries in his first game that required long recovery. 

2 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I honestly believe that Geno will be back with the Jets, and that he probably beats out Petty for the starting job. I'm comfortable with just the two of them plus Hack. No need to spend a bunch on the position during FA.

Would rather take a flier on EJ if were going with 2013 QB busts. 

There is very little chance he comes back to the Jets. Any thinking otherwise is foolish. He has worn out his welcome in the locker room and he's not looked upon favorably by the management or staff. He's had numerous opportunities and failed both on and off the field. He's done as a Jet. 

18 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Let's say all of that is true. What motivates him to stay if he thinks any other team would give him a shot? He's competing with two young QBs drafted by current management. The HC does not seem thrilled with him. Many players do not seem thrilled with him. The GM does not seem to like him--although one must wonder whether Woody made the call to bring back Fitz at the last minute. Either way, at least one of the GM or owner does not trust him in the driver's seat. 

Money. He is low cost for th Jets. The Jets will have to pay for dead money. Dead money is not free. It is salary cap that cannot be spent on FA's and must be made up somewhere in the cap. Any new QB will cost more than Smith.

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is very little chance he comes back to the Jets. Any thinking otherwise is foolish. He has worn out his welcome in the locker room and he's not looked upon favorably by the management or staff. He's had numerous opportunities and failed both on and off the field. He's done as a Jet. 

Didn't you say bring back Futz?

I don't know what the future holds for Geno.  He could come back but every time i think of him playing next season i think it won't happen.  Devin Smith tore an ACL and he's been out for over a year and just finally returned.  I know WR requires much more movement than QB but honestly i think he might not be on a roster next year.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What does that have to do with the current conversation? Let's try not to derail the thread with your usual garbage. 

Your selection was garbage. The Jets need long term planning. Smith was drafted by them. He is a very cost effective QB. Most others will cost more, take snaps from Hack and Petty and will not know the system. How is any of that garbage?

you were wrong last season and you are not looking at all of the facts once again.

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Agree with Jetdawgg (great handle BTW)

Don't be surprised if they bring him back to compete with Petty for the starting job and don't be surprised if he wins it. Remember that he does know the system and he never got the chance that Fitzpatrick did with actual receivers and all that. Unfortunately, next year's team will be unable to support him either and the fan base will be displeased with the results.

It all has to do with who is willing to throw what money after him. Still, if he goes elsewhere, it will be strange seeing him in another uniform.

Sadly I agree.. He isn't a greedy SOB like Fitzpatrick, could probably sign geno for half of what fitz wants, and geno would be the better option out of the two anyway moving forward.. Fitz is aging and declining, not that he had far to fall. 

20 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Your selection was garbage. The Jets need long term planning. Smith was drafted by them. He is a very cost effective QB. Most others will cost more, take snaps from Hack and Petty and will not know the system. How is any of that garbage?

you were wrong last season and you are not looking at all of the facts once again.

If Geno Smith was any good, Ryan Fitzpatrick never happens on the Jets. The Jets and Geno are divorcing and it's for the best of all parties involved. 

Also, just because the season didn't pan out doesn't mean the logic behind the move was false or wrong. It would have gone this way no matter the QB because the defense is horrid. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Geno Smith was any good, Ryan Fitzpatrick never happens on the Jets. The Jets and Geno are divorcing and it's for the best of all parties involved. 

Also, just because the season didn't pan out doesn't mean the logic behind the move was false or wrong. It would have gone this way no matter the QB because the defense is horrid. 

Geno was the starter until he was IK'OD. It is good for the Jets not to over spend for a back up QB. Have that same back up take reps from Hack and Petty and still have to learn the system. Geno fits all of those categories. Name me another QB who is young and fills those areas I named. 

Archived