Jets: "didn’t look like professional football players"

Mike135

No one's job should be safe.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/nfl-morning-after-credit-the-bad-teams-that-keep-competing/

NFL morning after: Credit the bad teams that keep competing

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a bunch of veterans on this team that have clearly given up...

I'm strongly for NOT firing Bowles but if he insists on continuing to play these guys I will change my tune by the end of the year.  Bench these guys and I don't care if they get blown out with the young kids - as long as you see some desire.

Saddest part of this... Petty's audition is happening within the context of nobody giving a rats ass. If Bowles had given Petty play sooner in the season, then the evaluation period would have maybe... just maybe... had some weeks where more than 5 guys cared.

25 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/19/nfl-morning-after-credit-the-bad-teams-that-keep-competing/

Yeah, and even though I'm always the last one on the "fire the HC bandwagon"  When a HC loses a team this bad, he's got one foot out the door. 

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm strongly for NOT firing Bowles but if he insists on continuing to play these guys I will change my tune by the end of the year.  Bench these guys and I don't care if they get blown out with the young kids - as long as you see some desire.

Bowles has lost the team.

Bowles gave away all his power to the team when he decided to keep playing Fitz out of fear that the team would quit on him.

Bowles gave away all his power to Fitz when he named him starter when he wasn't even under contract.

Bowles isn't a leader. I wanted him to succeed, and I'm all for inexperienced coaches requiring a break-in period. However, I view his flaws in leadership as so substantial that it creates a deficit of competency that would take YEARS to deprogram. In other words, I'm not on-board with the notion of investing another several years into the development of a Head Coach. 

No thanks. 

We tried that with Rex, and Mangini, and Herm... and so on... this idea of hiring inexperienced coaches aligns perfectly with the "sell the fans on hope and potential, if you can't sell them an actual winner" strategy that Woody employes. I'm not interested in talking about what Bowles needs to do to become a good coach. If you're a franchise trying to develop a coach, then you aren't developing players. Developing a coach creates such a substantial set-back for the football program it's disgusting.

Look at what waiting to see if Rex "got it" did to this franchise... The successful years under Rex are directly attributable to the overwhelming leadership of the veterans he inherited. When it became time for Rex to lead, he couldn't and didn't. We hit rock bottom. Same as Bowles. If the coach requires this many excuses and this long a leash, just to become competent... then you've got the wrong ******* coach.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Saddest part of this... Petty's audition is happening within the context of nobody giving a rats ass. If Bowles had given Petty play sooner in the season, then the evaluation period would have maybe... just maybe... had some weeks where more than 5 guys cared.

You are 100% correct.  All the people being so critical of Petty don't factor in his top wideout has quit.  His TE is a backup picked up on waivers.  His offensive line give petty no time to throw.  You wonder why he struggles more often than not.  Yet he still is positive.  That is a true competitor. 

3 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

You are 100% correct.  All the people being so critical of Petty don't factor in his top wideout has quit.  His TE is a backup picked up on waivers.  His offensive line give petty no time to throw.  You wonder why he struggles more often than not.  Yet he still is positive.  That is a true competitor. 

Petty has strong intangibles, and given the cast and attitudes around him, I think he's actually gotten a lot out of his opportunities. I think he's got a lot to refine in his game, but within the context of this debacle of a season... he's shown some serious promise. I just hope it's apparent to the coaching staff.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Bowles gave away all his power to the team when he decided to keep playing Fitz out of fear that the team would quit on him.

Bowles gave away all his power to Fitz when he named him starter when he wasn't even under contract.

Bowles isn't a leader. I wanted him to succeed, and I'm all for inexperienced coaches requiring a break-in period. However, I view his flaws in leadership as so substantial that it creates a deficit of competency that would take YEARS to deprogram. In other words, I'm not on-board with the notion of investing another several years into the development of a Head Coach. 

No thanks. 

We tried that with Rex, and Mangini, and Herm... and so on... this idea of hiring inexperienced coaches aligns perfectly with the "sell the fans on hope and potential, if you can't sell them an actual winner" strategy that Woody employes. I'm not interested in talking about what Bowles needs to do to become a good coach. If you're a franchise trying to develop a coach, then you aren't developing players. Developing a coach creates such a substantial set-back for the football program it's disgusting.

Look at what waiting to see if Rex "got it" did to this franchise... The successful years under Rex are directly attributable to the overwhelming leadership of the veterans he inherited. When it became time for Rex to lead, he couldn't and didn't. We hit rock bottom. Same as Bowles. If the coach requires this many excuses and this long a leash, just to become competent... then you've got the wrong ******* coach.

Agree.

it will never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini back.  When he was here the first time he was to young, and to immature.  He tried to play the tough guy and  emulate "Lil Bill" to much.

Some quality players were brought in during his tenure, I know a lot of posters are going to disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing "Mangenius part II" 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Petty has strong intangibles, and given the cast and attitudes around him, I think he's actually gotten a lot out of his opportunities. I think he's got a lot to refine in his game, but within the context of this debacle of a season... he's shown some serious promise. I just hope it's apparent to the coaching staff.

It would be hard for anyone on this team to mentally be positive game in game out yet Petty does.  development in football mentally is needed by rookies and I think petty is way ahead in that he just needs more time and focus on his accuracy with the longball.  That will come with more chemistry with his receivers.  If he can get the ball out faster as well we have a solid qb.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree.

it will never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini back.  When he was here the first time he was to young, and to immature.  He tried to play the tough guy and  emulate "Lil Bill" to much.

Some quality players were brought in during his tenure, I know a lot of posters are going to disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing "Mangenius part II" 

I wouldn't be opposed to it either. Mangini was a very smart guy who IMO just wasn't ready to be a head coach when he was here. It would be interesting to see how he's evolved.

There are a few ingredients needed to be a good head coach, one of those is making sure the players are motivated to play every Sunday. That was something rex was great at. The team played the same pretty much every week. Rex had other flaws that got him fired.

Bowles may grow as a head coach but his inability to motivate the players is alarming. It's the reason why we didn't make the playoffs last year. He failed to get the guys mentally ready for a war, they went into that game flat. So it's not surprising they play flat when their playoff chances fade.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

All the more reason to give the posters here what they want, give Todd Bowltite a 10 year extension with a "no fire" clause.

This team and organization makes me sick as does anyone who accepts losing and the absolute $hit show we have experienced here this season. All while I have to sit and watch the other NY team win 12+ games with a great, and I mean Championship caliber defense that smart signings and good drafting has created and we sit here kidding ourselves saying how great our DL is. What a joke. This DL and the rest of them are the worst in the NFL bar none. At least the Browns and 49'ers compete. These guys only want to know where de hoes are at.

F Them.

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No thanks. 

I cant think of one redeeming quality about Bowles.  What does he do well?  What does he bring to the table?  My fear is that another year under Bowles is just another wasted year.  This team is only going to get worse under his lead because simply put, he's terrible at his job. 

They don't even try to hide it  anymore it's blatantly obvious but none of them give a damn anymore and bowls has to go he's worn out his welcome to quickly and that's his own fault he has no one to blame but himself I don't blame the GM he actually put talent on this team I don't care what any of you say he did a decent job  yes he has made mistakes but is drafts aren't as bad as some of you were saying and could even be better as time goes on this is solely on the head coach he has lost his players he can't coach he can't adjust he has terrible in game decisions, he's sh*t and we need an experienced HC that can get this offense on the right track once and for all. Trade Sheldon and a 5th to Saints for Sean Payton and pair him with D.C. Jeff Fisher since the Rams D was solid.

58 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This was my argument back in November for letting Fitzpatrick ride out the whole season because we could easily get a false-read on Petty, the fans could turn on Petty, Petty could lose his confidence as a result, Petty could get hurt, etc.

Dak, Sanchez, even Geno were put in a Week 1 position where they had a team that was trying hard, best possible situation for them.  Petty couldn't have been put in a worse spot if we drew it up as a way to impede the kid's progress deliberately.  Bryce now needs to defend himself against the negativity all Spring and Summer, we aren't learning anything, we are letting the Fish, Pats and Bills have easy wins unnecessarily.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This was my argument back in November for letting Fitzpatrick ride out the whole season because we could easily get a false-read on Petty, the fans could turn on Petty, Petty could lose his confidence as a result, Petty could get hurt, etc.

Dak, Sanchez, even Geno were put in a Week 1 position where they had a team that was trying hard, best possible situation for them.  Petty couldn't have been put in a worse spot if we drew it up as a way to impede the kid's progress deliberately.  Bryce now needs to defend himself against the negativity all Spring and Summer, we aren't learning anything, we are letting the Fish, Pats and Bills have easy wins unnecessarily.

SAR I

Whose brilliant ******* idea was it to start petty four weeks left in the seaso.  they acted towards the media as if that was the plan the whole time, what kind of idiot makes up a four week audition for quarterback out of all positions.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Tying your career to Ryan Fitzpatrick is career suicide.  He should have gone with the kids and never thought twice.  Thinking he was going to get a repeat season was moronic. Everyone saw this coming.  Everyone but Todd Bowles. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Tying your career to Ryan Fitzpatrick is career suicide.  He should have gone with the kids and never thought twice.  Thinking he was going to get a repeat season was moronic. Everyone saw this coming.  Everyone but Todd Bowles. 

Sadly this isn't true.  Many thought Fitz was the correct move.  In fact many will still argue it was the unquestioned best option.

38 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I wouldn't be opposed to it either. Mangini was a very smart guy who IMO just wasn't ready to be a head coach when he was here. It would be interesting to see how he's evolved.

No , can we just get an offensive minded coach - in a league that umm favors offense.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Amen. You don't play guys that miss tackles, blow assignments etc...Pryor, Richardson, and Revis would be the first to hit the pine if I were in charge. I can take losing as long as there is effort. I can't stand the obvious lack of effort from these guys, and if it continues without change, I would advocate firing Bowles.

39 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are a few ingredients needed to be a good head coach, one of those is making sure the players are motivated to play every Sunday. That was something rex was great at. The team played the same pretty much every week. Rex had other flaws that got him fired.

Bowles may grow as a head coach but his inability to motivate the players is alarming. It's the reason why we didn't make the playoffs last year. He failed to get the guys mentally ready for a war, they went into that game flat. So it's not surprising they play flat when their playoff chances fade.

Except after bye weeks .

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Did they actually state Bowles job is safe?

I just assume he is.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Sadly this isn't true.  Many thought Fitz was the correct move.  In fact many will still argue it was the unquestioned best option.

Well, I was referring to logic individuals.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Whose brilliant ******* idea was it to start petty four weeks left in the seaso.  they acted towards the media as if that was the plan the whole time, what kind of idiot makes up a four week audition for quarterback out of all positions.

I think the whole thing was never thought through, I think they wanted to hold onto Fitzpatrick and a dream of a 9-7 wildcard miracle as long as they could.  And when they couldn't, and when Fitz was stinking the joint up, without Geno to throw to the wolves they had no choice but to give it to the next-man-up.

Problem now is that Bryce will end the year 0-4  1-3 and the narrative will be that he's "bad" and he'll have to wash that stink off him for six months.  The potential upside (he plays outstanding) vs the potential downside (can't lead an injured team of quitters) wasn't worth the risk.  Then again, angry Jets fans would think Bowles an even bigger idiot for keeping Fitzpatrick in there.  Bowles couldn't win either way.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They don't even try to hide it  anymore it's blatantly obvious but none of them give a damn anymore and bowls has to go he's worn out his welcome to quickly and that's his own fault he has no one to blame but himself I don't blame the GM he actually put talent on this team I don't care what any of you say he did a decent job  yes he has made mistakes but is drafts aren't as bad as some of you were saying and could even be better as time goes on this is solely on the head coach he has lost his players he can't coach he can't adjust he has terrible in game decisions, he's sh*t and we need an experienced HC that can get this offense on the right track once and for all. Trade Sheldon and a 5th to Saints for Sean Payton and pair him with D.C. Jeff Fisher since the Rams D was solid.

Now there's something I can get behind.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Wait a minute... Signing Fitzpatrick to a 12 million dollar deal was Mac's decision not Bowles, furthermore, after the GM signs him to that kind of money the Bowles is supposed to ignore that and play Geno and the other kids...I just do not think that is realistic..

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I think the whole thing was never thought through, I think they wanted to hold onto Fitzpatrick and a dream of a 9-7 wildcard miracle as long as they could.  And when they couldn't, and when Fitz was stinking the joint up, without Geno to throw to the wolves they had no choice but to give it to the next-man-up.

Problem now is that Bryce will end the year 0-4 and the narrative will be that he's "bad" and he'll have to wash that stink off him for six months.  The potential upside (he plays outstanding) vs the potential downside (can't lead an injured team of quitters) wasn't worth the risk.  Then again, angry Jets fans would think Bowles an even bigger idiot for keeping Fitzpatrick in there.  Bowles couldn't win either way.

SAR I

Dreaming is bad strategy.

Bryce has 1 win.

49 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Which is why you give him more than just garbage time in December.

A veteran WR on IR - not to mention, BFF and chief booster of the return of the veteran screwing up - more or less said using Petty means the coach has given up. And Bowles let him get away with it by throwing Fitz out there still until they were mathematically eliminated.

Then he went to Petty, and these players (who weren't playing so great before they were eliminated anyway) have clearly mailed it in after getting this "it no longer matters" confirmation from their wuss HC. The ones still giving their all are generally hungry, younger players: those looking for more playing time or a new contract rather than those trying to prolong their careers by not getting hurt in December playing for a 4-win team. 

Archived