Petty update.

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/19/jets-bryce-petty-bruised-chest/amp/?client=safari

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — The Jets are reportedly hopeful that quarterback Bryce Petty will be able to play in the team’s final two games after tests revealed only a bruising to his chest.

Petty was hurt on the first play of the fourth quarter in Saturday night’s 34-13 loss to the Miami Dolphins when he got sandwiched by Cameron Wake and Ndamukong Suh as he completed a 28-yard pass to Robby Anderson. He was replaced by former starter Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Petty underwent a CT scan on Sunday. Coach Todd Bowles told reporters Sunday he would wait until he received the results before determining who will start at quarterback at New England on Saturday. He will speak to the media again Monday.

“I’ll be good,” Petty said after the game. “A little sore right now, but I’ll be fine.”

It appeared few players on the offensive line other than center Wesley Johnson moved at the snap, and Wake and Suh easily converged on Petty in the backfield. The quarterback called it a “miscommunication,” but wouldn’t go into details on what happened on the play.

Petty got off to a good start in his third NFL start, capping an impressive first drive against the Dolphins with a 40-yard touchdown pass to Anderson.

But New York’s second possession ended when Petty was sacked by Wake and fumbled, and Suh recovered deep in Miami territory.

With the Jets at the Dolphins 27 and driving midway through the second quarter, Petty had his pass intended for Brandon Marshall intercepted by Wake.

Petty finished 20-of-36 for 235 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions before leaving with the injury.

“He started the game more confidently, obviously leading the first drive,” Bowles said. “Other than that, there’s still things he needs to work on.”

If Petty can’t play Saturday, it would appear Fitzpatrick would get the start against the Cheaters. Rookie Christian Hackenberg is the only other quarterback on the active roster.

Hackenberg, a second-round pick, has been inactive all season and is largely considered a project who isn’t ready to play in a regular-season game.

As far as other injuries, Bowles said tests on defensive lineman Leonard Williams’ chest injury were negative. Right guard Brian Winters (shoulder) was still having tests conducted, and Bowles said the status of linebacker Darron Lee (left eye) was “unknown.”

Petty.jpg

Petty-300x169.jpgIan Rapoport is reporting that the news was good for Bryce Petty on the injury front. A chest bruise is pretty much the best possible outcome, after he received a big time hit on Saturday night.

Brian Costello added that there were no broken ribs and that Petty should be able to start on Sunday against the Cheaters.

An X-ray on Saturday night showed no broken ribs, but Petty went for further testing Sunday to see whether there is any structural damage to his ribs.

The Jets have not made any official announcement, but if the report is correct, Petty should be able to play against the Cheaters on Saturday. There was no media availability Monday, the players’ day off. Jets coach Todd Bowles will address the media Tuesday.

The jury is still out on Bryce Petty. He has made some mistakes you would expect from a young QB. He has also shown flashes that are very encouraging. He has a big time arm and isn’t shy about taking chances down the field. That is a must in the NFL today, so keeping Petty on the field will help the evaluation process.

Visit our forums to read more and see what other Jets fans are saying about Bryce Petty.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
dhvRDsl-NFI

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Great news!

Not for Petty.  Belicheat is gonna dial up a defense where the kid throws at least three picks.  Not gonna be pretty on either side of the ball.  Not sure if I'll even watch.  Don't want my Christmas Eve devolving into me getting all pissed off and drunk.  Oh wait, that's a normal Christmas Eve in my house.  

Just now, RoadFan said:

I like Petty.  Obviously not seeing a starter yet, but he has guts and has shown improvement.   If he becomes a decent backup, was way worth a 4th round pick.

I like some of what I've seen also. Good arm, decent speed, tough. I don;t think the book is written on him yet at all. I think he was a little better in this game that he last.if that keeps up who knows what his ceiling is?

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I like Petty.  Obviously not seeing a starter yet, but he has guts and has shown improvement.   If he becomes a decent backup, was way worth a 4th round pick.

People keep saying this but it's simply not true.  You only get the guy 4 years before he's a free agent.  At that point he can go as a number to the highest bidder, it's not like we're going to pay top dollar for a back-up.  Getting two years as a #2 QB certainly isn't worth a 4th round pick that could have turned into a starting G, RB etc for a career.

If a younger player is deemed a good backup he is a jag that sjhould be cut so that you can get another guy in to see if he can start.  Good backups are matt moore and kellen clemens failed QB's that are cheap and sit around for years on the bench.  Usually they are on about their 3rd or 4th team,  you don't develop good backups they fail, move on and you pick them up as vet fa on the cheap.

If petty ends up being a good backup it will be with some other team 5 years from now.

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not for Petty.  Belicheat is gonna dial up a defense where the kid throws at least three picks.  Not gonna be pretty on either side of the ball.  Not sure if I'll even watch.  Don't want my Christmas Eve devolving into me getting all pissed off and drunk.  Oh wait, that's a normal Christmas Eve in my house.  

Hey; that is part of the learning process. Yeah, he is going to have a tough time, but you want to make sure he doesn't sulk and pout (like some other QBs before him) and that he still shows composure. If you ask me, BB and Rex, the following week, are exactly the defenses you want to see you QB against. Is he going to fail, heck YES, but how he fails is almost as important as how he succeeds.

And, if he can learn from the experience he can go far. BB and Rex (for rookies) can be brutal; if he can survive that, he should be able to survive anything. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Hey; that is part of the learning process. Yeah, he is going to have a tough time, but you want to make sure he doesn't sulk and pout (like some other QBs before him) and that he still shows composure. If you ask me, BB and Rex, the following week, are exactly the defenses you want to see you QB against. Is he going to fail, heck YES, but how he fails is almost as important as how he succeeds.

And, if he can learn from the experience he can go far. BB and Rex (for rookies) can be brutal; if he can survive that, he should be able to survive anything. 

Yeah, I have no problem with Petty starting against the Pats.  I just think he will get obliterated because our O Line sucks donkey dick and lots of guys have already packed up.  I agree that Petty should face tough defenses for us to see what he has.  The problem is that he is surrounded by awful players.  So how do we truly see if he has progressed?  As many have said, wish Bowles had not been so stubborn earlier in the season and started Petty over Fitz.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I have no problem with Petty starting against the Pats.  I just think he will get obliterated because our O Line sucks donkey dick and lots of guys have already packed up.  I agree that Petty should face tough defenses for us to see what he has.  The problem is that he is surrounded by awful players.  So how do we truly see if he has progressed?  As many have said, wish Bowles had not been so stubborn earlier in the season and not started Petty over Fitz.

I agree that he is going to be under fire; but this is extremely valuable experience for him. Assuming he survives (I mean as a player not physically) he will have to play against BB again, so learn baby, learn.

38 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

LOL. True (on Petty, I have no idea how drunk you get) :)

b997673e-7fae-4d7c-bd0d-d8c0660f4d6a.jpg
cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets QB Bryce Petty (bruised chest) said he feels fine and expects to play Saturday. He said he was a full participant in practice and had no limitations in terms of throwing deep balls. He said the training staff is designing a protective pad he can wear in the game.

Jets QB Bryce Petty said he found a batch of chocolate chip cookies on his car this morning, courtesy of C Wes Johnson. It was a apology from Johnson, who snapped the ball too soon last Saturday night -- a mistake that allowed Ndamukong Suh and Cam Wake to go unblocked. They sandwiched Petty, resulting in a bruised chest.

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Round 4 project QB leading his team to 12-2, Round 2 project Qb so horrible he can't even step on he field when the other QBs are a jag fest.

Thanks MacIdzik!

I get the disgust, but it's really not just about the QBs here. 

Dallas has been drafting well for several years, which is what led them to this point. The Jets are probably bottom-3 when it comes to drafting over the same span. I'd argue that Brooks Bollinger could succeed behind that offensive line in Dallas. I mean sh*t, do you see how long Dak gets to view the field?

And I'm a Dak fan, I wanted him in the draft very much... so, I'm not saying this to discredit his achievements. I'm just trying to maintain some shred of situational awareness for the totality of things they've done right. Not just Dak vs. Hack.

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Jets QB Bryce Petty said he found a batch of chocolate chip cookies on his car this morning, courtesy of C Wes Johnson. It was a apology from Johnson, who snapped the ball too soon last Saturday night -- a mistake that allowed Ndamukong Suh and Cam Wake to go unblocked. They sandwiched Petty, resulting in a bruised chest.

lol, "hey bud, sorry I got your lung punctured, 3 herniated discs, and ruptured your spleen... here's some cookies"

That's legit how bad that hit could have been. Could have ended his career before it began. 

**** Wes Johnson's cookies.... and I ******* LOVE cookies.

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:
b997673e-7fae-4d7c-bd0d-d8c0660f4d6a.jpg
cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets QB Bryce Petty (bruised chest) said he feels fine and expects to play Saturday. He said he was a full participant in practice and had no limitations in terms of throwing deep balls. He said the training staff is designing a protective pad he can wear in the game.

I wish that Favre's old yellow flak jacket was still in the facility... give it to Bryce and let the transformation begin!

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Dallas has been drafting well for several years, which is what led them to this point. The Jets are probably bottom-3 when it comes to drafting over the same span. I'd argue that Brooks Bollinger could succeed behind that offensive line in Dallas. I mean sh*t, do you see how long Dak gets to view the field?

And I'm a Dak fan, I wanted him in the draft very much... so, I'm not saying this to discredit his achievements. I'm just trying to maintain some shred of situational awareness for the totality of things they've done right. Not just Dak vs. Hack.

It remains to be seen how much Dak improves over time, but you gotta like the kid.

It is apparent, however, that Dak has a much higher floor than Hack, the question is what are their ceilings like. I know this, if Dak was here, he probably would have gotten crushed by an early snap like Petty did. They aren't asking much of Dak and they are winning because the team is so good.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, "hey bud, sorry I got your lung punctured, 3 herniated discs, and ruptured your spleen... here's some cookies"

That's legit how bad that hit could have been. Could have ended his career before it began. 

**** Wes Johnson's cookies.... and I ******* LOVE cookies.

Maybe the cookies are I am sorry you got a bruised ribs and will have nightmares for the next year; had he got a punctured lung, I am sure there would have been brownies too :-)

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No Brooks couldn't people seem to forget that last year Dallas won 4 games.  Prescott is legit and has been as much of the cause as the effect, now would he be that good here?  No for sure not but he wouldn't have been red shirted for a full year and likely more like our 2nd round pick has been.

If the Jets drafted Hackenburg in the Petty range or lower it wouldn't be as much of an issue as that type of layer is easier to move on from.  We like to bring up Prescott in this discussion but just about every other QB drafted got more playing time and looked better than our 2nd rounder.  Worse yet is the things that have come out of the Jets coaching staffs mouths re a guy they should be working very hard with this year.

Then there is early day two of next years drat when the jets are sitting there and unexpectedly one of the top 3 qbs has fallen to the 2nd round and we pass because we took Hack this past year.

So many reasons to hate the pick.  I don;t hate the guy himself at all, he seems to be a good guy that is going to work hard.  We will see sooner or later I suppose.

I love Petty's mentality. A guy like Wilkerson would be taking the game off, while Petty is excited to gets his ass kicked by a Pats defense going up against an awful Oline. Kid has no fear and a desire to compete. Honestly, he has everything you want in a QB assuming he is capable of learning how to the "little things."

On 12/19/2016 at 4:18 PM, Beerfish said:

Round 4 project QB leading his team to 12-2, Round 2 project Qb so horrible he can't even step on he field when the other QBs are a jag fest.

Thanks MacIdzik!

Stop s******g on Hack before he has even gotten a chance to play. Just back off. What's the point? You hate the pick, that's great. Good for you. You know more than Macc. Good for you. Macc's not going anywhere. Hack's not going anywhere. And Hack will probably get a shot to start next year. The what? You will be rooting against him? What do you have against him anyway? Yeah, yeah, you hate that Macc reached and wasted a 2nd rounder. But why? What do you have against Hack as a prospect? Is he really THAT bad as a prospect (b/c we have actually not seen him play yet) that he deserves to be s**t on? So he reached. FINE. Let's assume the Jets could have had him in the 3rd or even 4th. If he turns out to be the Franchise QB, does it matter??? 

He hasn't stepped on the field b/c the Jets are bringing him up slowly. This is a red-shirt year for him. A season to watch and learn. You don't think he wants to go out and play?

He will make you eat Crow.  

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Stop s******g on Hack before he has even gotten a chance to play. Just back off. What's the point? You hate the pick, that's great. Good for you. You know more than Macc. Good for you. Macc's not going anywhere. Hack's not going anywhere. And Hack will probably get a shot to start next year. The what? You will be rooting against him? What do you have against him anyway? Yeah, yeah, you hate that Macc reached and wasted a 2nd rounder. But why? What do you have against Hack as a prospect? Is he really THAT bad as a prospect (b/c we have actually not seen him play yet) that he deserves to be s**t on? So he reached. FINE. Let's assume the Jets could have had him in the 3rd or even 4th. If he turns out to be the Franchise QB, does it matter??? 

He hasn't stepped on the field b/c the Jets are bringing him up slowly. This is a red-shirt year for him. A season to watch and learn. You don't think he wants to go out and play?

He will make you eat Crow.  

I hope you're right but don't hold your breath.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:18 PM, Beerfish said:

Thanks MacIdzik!

Hackenberg has not stepped on the field because he's barely gotten any snaps in practice. Its not his fault we have four freakin QB's on the roster. Its not that we know he cant do the job its that he has not been prepared to do the job. How do we know the Jets simply aren't botching yet another QB by doing nothing (admittedly) with Hackenberg for the entire season.

Like any winning team you need a good coaching staff and we have not had one here since Parcells.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

But wait just one second everyone told us it was Petty fault he got killed because he from Baylor and he does not know how to do those pre snap read thingy 

33 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

But wait just one second everyone told us it was Petty fault he got killed because he from Baylor and he does not know how to do those pre snap read thingy 

He wouldn't throw his teammate under the bus so everyone figured it was his fault.

50 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

He wouldn't throw his teammate under the bus so everyone figured it was his fault.

Archived