Jets Offseason Plan - slash and burn

Doggin94it

Ugh. Can't believe it's come to this.

Cut:

Ryan Clady. Too injury prone to justify a large dollar contract on a rebuilding team. Cap Savings: 10M

Nick Mangold. This hurts, but he's not what he once was. Cap Savings: 9.75M

Brandon Marshall.  In the last year of his deal, no dead money, and Decker, Enunwa and Anderson are a fine trio of starters to roll with (and under contract for a few more years).  I like the player, love the person he's become, but we can't pay this price at that age with a year left on his deal.  Cap Savings: 7.5M

Marcus Gilchrist.  Has not worked out very well, and if Revis moves to FS it won't even cost anything to replace him.  Cap Savings: 4.625M

Buster Skrine.  Another player who has not worked out at all, and is currently slated to cost 8.5M against the cap.  Cap Savings: 3.5M

Sheldon Richardson (trade for whatever the highest offer is, or cut if nobody is even offering a conditional seventh):  Adds nothing to this team and is a locker room problem.  We already have two elite 3-4 DEs in Wilkerson and Williams, and nowhere to play Richardson anyway.  The only reason to keep him would be for the comp pick after letting him walk as a FA after the season, and paying $8M for that privilege would be insane.  Cap Savings: 8M

Breno Giacomini.  'Nuff said.  Cap Savings: 4.5M

Nick Folk. This team can't spend 3.5M on a placekicker.  Cap Savings: 3M

Erin Henderson. Overpaid as a backup without much utility, passed on the depth chart by Julian Stanford anyway.  Cap Savings: 2.75M

Restructure (or cut if they won't):

Darelle Revis. Move Revis to S if he's willing to take a paycut to 6.5M for next year.  That's 500K more than his guarantee and he has offset language, so that number is a "win" for Darelle and more money than he'll see if he's cut. I'd be willing to go up to 7M if that's what it takes.  Cap Savings: 8.5M (if restructured), 8M (if cut)

David Harris.  It's only fitting that he and Revis go together.  A great teammate and leader, but he's extremely overpaid as - at best - a 2 down LB, and we drafted his replacement last year.  If he's willing to restructure and extend for close to the vet minimum to be a backup and locker room leader, great.  If not, hold a press conference to thank him for what he's meant to the team and send him on his way.  Cap Savings: 6.5M.

Doing all that leaves the Jets with ~62M in cap room.  More importantly, it creates 20M in extra cap room for 2018 by getting rid of players like Skrine a year early (prior to those moves, the Jets are about 4M over the projected 2017 cap, per Jason)

FA:  Overall, the plan here is not to spend a ton of money.  2017 is not a year the Jets will be competing for the Super Bowl, so it should be focused on building a good foundation for a run.  Extend Enunwa, resign Brian Winters if he comes at a reasonable price, resign Wesley Johnson as the starting C.  Pick up a tackle and plan to draft another to start.  Pick up complementary players at TE, CB, and LB, and look to draft a LB.  Let unused cap space roll over to 2018, where we should be poised to make a real impact in the market.

And QB?  I'd go hard after Mike Glennon - he's got a real chance to start and enough upside to be worth spending real money on, even in a rebuilding year.  For his career (mostly playing on an awful Bucs team as a rookie), he's 59.4% passing, for 4,100 yards and 30TDs to 15INTs.  I wouldn't throw crazy money at him, but if he'd take 10M per with escalators, in a structure that would let the Jets bail after 2 years if he flames out, sign me up.  A QB competition between him, Petty and Hack next year would be a pretty good spot for the Jets, comparatively, and it will let us wait on QB in a year where the prospects aren't particularly great and a lot of teams ahead of us are in need. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh. Can't believe it's come to this.

Cut:

Ryan Clady. Too injury prone to justify a large dollar contract on a rebuilding team. Cap Savings: 10M

Nick Mangold. This hurts, but he's not what he once was. Cap Savings: 9.75M

Brandon Marshall.  In the last year of his deal, no dead money, and Decker, Enunwa and Anderson are a fine trio of starters to roll with (and under contract for a few more years).  I like the player, love the person he's become, but we can't pay this price at that age with a year left on his deal.  Cap Savings: 7.5M

Marcus Gilchrist.  Has not worked out very well, and if Revis moves to FS it won't even cost anything to replace him.  Cap Savings: 4.625M

Buster Skrine.  Another player who has not worked out at all, and is currently slated to cost 8.5M against the cap.  Cap Savings: 3.5M

Sheldon Richardson (trade for whatever the highest offer is, or cut if nobody is even offering a conditional seventh):  Adds nothing to this team and is a locker room problem.  We already have two elite 3-4 DEs in Wilkerson and Williams, and nowhere to play Richardson anyway.  The only reason to keep him would be for the comp pick after letting him walk as a FA after the season, and paying $8M for that privilege would be insane.  Cap Savings: 8M

Breno Giacomini.  'Nuff said.  Cap Savings: 4.5M

Nick Folk. This team can't spend 3.5M on a placekicker.  Cap Savings: 3M

Erin Henderson. Overpaid as a backup without much utility, passed on the depth chart by Julian Stanford anyway.  Cap Savings: 2.75M

Restructure (or cut if they won't):

Darelle Revis. Move Revis to S if he's willing to take a paycut to 6.5M for next year.  That's 500K more than his guarantee and he has offset language, so that number is a "win" for Darelle and more money than he'll see if he's cut. I'd be willing to go up to 7M if that's what it takes.  Cap Savings: 8.5M (if restructured), 8M (if cut)

David Harris.  It's only fitting that he and Revis go together.  A great teammate and leader, but he's extremely overpaid as - at best - a 2 down LB, and we drafted his replacement last year.  If he's willing to restructure and extend for close to the vet minimum to be a backup and locker room leader, great.  If not, hold a press conference to thank him for what he's meant to the team and send him on his way.  Cap Savings: 6.5M.

Doing all that leaves the Jets with ~62M in cap room.  More importantly, it creates 20M in extra cap room for 2018 by getting rid of players like Skrine a year early (prior to those moves, the Jets are about 4M over the projected 2017 cap, per Jason)

FA:  Overall, the plan here is not to spend a ton of money.  2017 is not a year the Jets will be competing for the Super Bowl, so it should be focused on building a good foundation for a run.  Extend Enunwa, resign Brian Winters if he comes at a reasonable price, resign Wesley Johnson as the starting C.  Pick up a tackle and plan to draft another to start.  Pick up complementary players at TE, CB, and LB, and look to draft a LB.  Let unused cap space roll over to 2018, where we should be poised to make a real impact in the market.

And QB?  I'd go hard after Mike Glennon - he's got a real chance to start and enough upside to be worth spending real money on, even in a rebuilding year.  For his career (mostly playing on an awful Bucs team as a rookie), he's 59.4% passing, for 4,100 yards and 30TDs to 15INTs.  I wouldn't throw crazy money at him, but if he'd take 10M per with escalators, in a structure that would let the Jets bail after 2 years if he flames out, sign me up.  A QB competition between him, Petty and Hack next year would be a pretty good spot for the Jets, comparatively, and it will let us wait on QB in a year where the prospects aren't particularly great and a lot of teams ahead of us are in need. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I totally agree it's time to cut and run build O line CB and LB and 100% Mike Glennon is far fit for what we're looking for. Now let's hope our GM is reading this post

ithink i'd add wilk to the trades list.  unless there is some compelling reason why he hasn't performed he needs to be launched.  i'd also keep marshall but at a restructured salary.  as for glennon, it's all so hard to say.  you see teams like the texans throwing idiot money at losers like osweiler.  i suspect glennon will try to do his best to cash in.

Nothing you said here I disagree with except for Marshall.

I really think Marshall is part of the solution. He's become a leader and he can still play. He's not getting as many looks with Petty out there because he's more in sync with guys like Anderson which is understandable. But if Petty progresses or we get another QB  who can play, I would expect Marshall to be at a high level again. I think with his size and toughness he's an ideal fit for a young QB.

I love Mangold but it might just be time to move on.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

OK... looks good.  

Has Decker ever played a full season for us?

Not sure how we get rid of revis..i.e. cap hit, guaranteed contract etc.

Dead money of 6 mil if cut before new league year, 8 mil after. If he stays on the roster the cap charge is 15.5. He's gone

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I really think Marshall is part of the solution. He's become a leader and he can still play. He's not getting as many looks with Petty out there because he's more in sync with guys like Anderson which is understandable. But if Petty progresses or we get another QB  who can play, I would expect Marshall to be at a high level again. I think with his size and toughness he's an ideal fit for a young QB.

The effort he gave last week was pathetic. He's 33 next year, whats the point?

The more and more I think about it, an open QB competition next year with Petty, Hack and Glennon makes the absolute most sense.  You want young guys with upside, not a hold the fort Cutler type.  What good is going 7-9 next year?  Go all in and try to build for 2018 and beyond.  With that being said, it has to be at the right price.  I know a lot of money was thrown Brock's way but it was only one team (the Texans) bidding on him and I don't forget Glennon hasn't played in almost 3 years so I don't see him getting absurd money.  One thing to remember is a team like the Bronco's are always out there while I see them looking more at a guy like Romo I wouldn't put it past them to go after Glennon as well and with their talent level on defense no FA is picking the Jets over the Broncos assuming the money is the same.

I'd love for Mangold to just retire a Jet.  Would break my heart to see him play for another team but there is no way you can pay him that money next season. David Harris too.

Do NOT restructure Revis.  Get that turd as far away from this team as possible.  We dont need him spreading his entitled lazy poison around the locker room.

Marshall I'm on the fence about.  He's fools gold.  Too many dropsies for my taste and I'm not sure he's the type of player you want around breaking in a young QB.  He seemed checked out the second they went to Fitz.  Everyone calls him a leader because he says the right things to the media but that's because he is the media.  Brandon Marshall is much more concerned with life after Football than he is about Football.  And if they're trying to build a culture, I'm not sure he's guy you want around to help with that process.  

Remove the entitled vets with special privileges.  Build this baby ground up!

They all should be gone! What are we getting from them this year? Marshall quit too last week & if he's playing hurt he & the coaching staffs are idiots! Not one of those veterans will be part of our 2 year rebuild to respectability. 2019 BABY!

We have zero veterans who are leader type except Harris & he's spent. Marshall one handing that Petty ball last week pissed me off! Can him 7.5 mill? Cut Decker too, the guy is too expensive to not be durable! Plus he made that asinine comment regarding Petty (STFU if your not the coach!).

I'd put the whole lot of them out there for trades. Take whatever you can get for them, if nothing sayonara. We actually might get a bite for some 5th founders. Hopefully we can get a 3rd for Sheldon being a conditional 2nd if he kicks azz in his future home. I'd actually watch next year if we really try to rebuild correctly, if not & we bring back all these guys with cut salaries, I'll boycott next year & concentrate on Fantasy football fun.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

They all should be gone! What are we getting from them this year? Marshall quit too last week & if he's playing hurt he & the coaching staffs are idiots! Not one of those veterans will be part of our 2 year rebuild to respectability. 2019 BABY!

We have zero veterans who are leader type except Harris & he's spent. Marshall one handing that Petty ball last week pissed me off! Can him 7.5 mill? Cut Decker too, the guy is too expensive to not be durable! Plus he made that asinine comment regarding Petty (STFU if your not the coach!).

I'd put the whole lot of them out there for trades. Take whatever you can get for them, if nothing sayonara. We actually might get a bite for some 5th founders. Hopefully we can get a 3rd for Sheldon being a conditional 2nd if he kicks azz in his future home. I'd actually watch next year if we really try to rebuild correctly, if not & we bring back all these guys with cut salaries, I'll boycott next year & concentrate on Fantasy football fun.

I was thinking this too but somebody showed me the financial impact recently and how the Jets can get out much cheaper after next season. He might make sense to keep around 1 more year. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Is Barkley already out of his rookie deal? 

FA after the season. He's nothing special but a decent enough guy to take snaps on a bad team. The Bears seem to have a functional offense. Amazing how they were able to replace Forte/sarcasm.

If Woody writes Glennon a check there will be no competition.  That is the problem.   This ain't the Seahawks.  Glennon and the others will know the fix is in.

The Jets need a competitive environment.  They have a political environment.  We know it from work.  That is why they stink.  

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

OK... looks good.  

Has Decker ever played a full season for us?

Not sure how we get rid of revis..i.e. cap hit, guaranteed contract etc.

We can cut Revis outright next year and clear 7M in cap, plus potentially more (will explain in a bit), leaving 8M or so in dead money.

The "potentially more" part is because Revis' guaranteed salary, which is 6M of that dead money, is subject to "offset language" - which basically means that whatever he gets paid elsewhere comes off our cap.  Of course, that means teams will structure any deal with Revis that has less than a 6M Average Annual Value (i.e., any deal where he doesn't net an additional dollar based on this year's salary) to pay him the vet minimum for this year (since he doesn't see any money whether he's paid 750K or 5.99M), so it won't be a lot extra.  But there should be some extra relief coming when Revis signs elsewhere once we cut him.

I agree with pretty much everything here, however I am inclined to just cut Revis because of his complete lack of effort all year. The whole point of our rebuild should be to be acquiring and playing players who are hungry, change the culture.

Id actually love it if we could trade both sheldon and mo, even though I think Mo will have a bounce back year next year post-injury. He's good but not great. His deal is cut-friendly after another year so I dont think his price tag would be a complete deterrent. But sheldon has to go asap.

Given Decker's injury history, I'd actually be more inclined to keep Marshall over Decker for another year. I think financially keeping Marshall is better for us than Decker so that adds to it. Either way, you keep them just to have a decent experienced vet one of the young qb's can throw to for a year of development. Our win-loss probably won't be much different if we kept both or cut both next year. 

Id like us to get Glennon on a 2-year deal and have him compete with Petty for the starting job next year. I'd be perfectly fine with starting Petty if we dont sign Glennon, give him his reps and experience. Who cares? Petty, Glennon, etc we're not winning any super bowls next year anyway. 4-12 = 7-9 to me. A losing season is a losing season. Let all the young dudes play and develop.

39 minutes ago, rangerous said:

ithink i'd add wilk to the trades list.  unless there is some compelling reason why he hasn't performed he needs to be launched.  i'd also keep marshall but at a restructured salary.  as for glennon, it's all so hard to say.  you see teams like the texans throwing idiot money at losers like osweiler.  i suspect glennon will try to do his best to cash in.

Nobody is trading for Wilkerson at that salary off this year, and you'd have to either keep Richardson or replace them both with a new body.  Wilkerson's deal is structured to be easily escaped by the Jets after 2017 if they want to (essentially, they gave themselves the option of extending Sheldon and swapping him for Wilk).  He can be cut in 2018 for an 11M cap savings (and 9M dead money), which is likely what will happen unless he gets his game back next year.

38 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

For Marshall, you need to ignore sunk costs, since he can be cut with no cap hit.

Are you extending him?  If not, if he wasn't already under contract, would you sign him at 1 year 7.5M?  For a team with no shot at the SB in that 1 year, that would be a crazy deal; he'd be eating up cap space you can use to sign a player who has a chance to contribute when you do hope to make a SB run in 2-4 years, and blocking younger players from getting the reps they need to develop as contributors during that window.  I get the sentiment, but keeping Marshall next year would hurt the team long-term.

42 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

The effort he gave last week was pathetic. He's 33 next year, whats the point?

How did he give bad effort?

I think he can still play. That's the point. He's never been a player whose relied on his speed to be successful. He's a great route runner whose got great size and toughness when going up for the ball. I think he could help our next QB settle in.

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No no no, this is totally different.

The only difference (though it's a meaningful one) is that Mac has the scouting chops to be able to actually identify useful players in the draft.  Idzik absolutely had the right plan; the problem was his execution (particularly in that god-awful 12 pick draft where he basically flushed 10 of the picks).  Hopefully he'll learn from his cap mistakes the past couple of years.

Not a Glennon fan at all - if he was so great why did TB use the #1 overall pick on a QB, furthermore, why did TB descend to the #1 pick as well if Glennon was the answer? I am for getting rid of everyone on that list except Nick. We will not be able to find a competent Center in addition to a LT RT 2 G's in 1 offseason, plus I believe he can still play 1 or 2 more years (restructured) until we find his replacement. For an organization with minimal tradition, we could use another real Jet retiring having worn one uniform only, although I bet even Nick is totally embarrassed at what has gone on here.

The first purge has to be in the FO IMO. Maybe not the GM this year (although lately I have begun to think otherwise as he has become the invisible man which is not worthy of an NFL GM having such a terrible season - STH's especially deserve an explanation as to what has transpired this season), but the entire CS has to go, they are just not any good. There is no shot that this CS can turn things around - they have been made to look silly on a weekly basis by rookie HC's and other HC's and CS's that most of us feel are not very good either. Look at it this way, name one thing this CS does well, one strength that they have exhibited. We need to give the GM a shot at picking and hiring his own HC, and letting that HC pick his own staff. Then if that f's up, then the GM goes as well, or we can clean house now altogether, I would not mind either way as long as the CS is replaced. This nonsense of equality under the owner is ludicrous - Who does this? Woody needs to pick the GM and the GM handles all else football related, period.

WE NEED BIG TIME CHANGE. Attitude change. Player Change. Philosophy change. The absolute nonsense that has gone on here this season is deplorable. Players making mega millions absolutely tanking an entire season because the schedule looked hard. I truly believe this is what happened and will never change my opinion. Hard working slobs like us forking out tens of thousands of dollars for idiotic PSL's to go sit in that mausoleum sh*t hole stadium to watch what has gone on. Instagram f**k stain texts about Hoes. Are you kidding me? If we had competent management / ownership, the player who did that would be in Cleveland or SF a.k.a purgatory already.

I am sick of the NY Jets and their mega millionaire employees. I can no longer call most of them players as they do not compete like normal players are supposed to, the sad thing is, the players who do try can be counted on one hand.

I wouldn't;t mind keeping Marshall to be honest unless we had a real vision as to how we were going to spend that money.  I would like to keep Mangold as well, last time I looked he didn't do an early snap get your Qb killed kind of play.  Might have to play a bit of hard ball though. The others I pretty well agree with except Revis, I do not want him on the team.  He will be no better a safety than he has been a cb.

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

The only difference (though it's a meaningful one) is that Mac has the scouting chops to be able to actually identify useful players in the draft.  Idzik absolutely had the right plan; the problem was his execution (particularly in that god-awful 12 pick draft where he basically flushed 10 of the picks).  Hopefully he'll learn from his cap mistakes the past couple of years.

Pryor, Amaro, Mcdougle, Saunders, Evans.

oof oof oof

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

We can cut Revis outright next year and clear 7M in cap, plus potentially more (will explain in a bit), leaving 8M or so in dead money.

The "potentially more" part is because Revis' guaranteed salary, which is 6M of that dead money, is subject to "offset language" - which basically means that whatever he gets paid elsewhere comes off our cap.  Of course, that means teams will structure any deal with Revis that has less than a 6M Average Annual Value (i.e., any deal where he doesn't net an additional dollar based on this year's salary) to pay him the vet minimum for this year (since he doesn't see any money whether he's paid 750K or 5.99M), so it won't be a lot extra.  But there should be some extra relief coming when Revis signs elsewhere once we cut him.

Thank you.        You need to be a CPA to understand all this stuff...  no wonder I dont get it. :D

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was thinking this too but somebody showed me the financial impact recently and how the Jets can get out much cheaper after next season. He might make sense to keep around 1 more year. 

More importantly, Decker's younger and still under contract past 2017 and if he plays well might be worth keeping after that year

I agree with the other poster; nobody is trading for Mo with his contract and play - hopefully he is still coming back from the injury otherwise you release him after the next year (it is really a 2 year deal).

I am not sure about Marshall - you want some vet players; he is likely hurt and frustrated, but can still be valuable - maybe you let Decker go as he isn't ever healthy.

I am all for getting rid of the dead wood, but remember, you aren't going to fill all of those spots in the draft, so you are going to have to sign others to take their place, so that 60 million won't go as far as you would think.

We aren't getting glennon - he is going to want Osweiler money - and we see how that worked out for Houston.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I wouldn't;t mind keeping Marshall to be honest unless we had a real vision as to how we were going to spend that money.  I would like to keep Mangold as well, last time I looked he didn't do an early snap get your Qb killed kind of play.  Might have to play a bit of hard ball though. The others I pretty well agree with except Revis, I do not want him on the team.  He will be no better a safety than he has been a cb.

Keep in mind you can roll that money forward to 2018.  The Jets' future depends on ownership and the FO being able to take a clear-eyed look at 2017 and say "we are not going to win the Super Bowl this year.  There is no chance of it.  And so we are going to focus every single move we make this offseason on giving us the best chance to win the SB in 2018-2020, rather than on increasing our chance of winning a few more meaningless games in 2017."

Do you disagree?  And if that's the standard, how do you justify spending 17M on Mangold and Marshall in the last year of their deals?  I'd love to keep both guys, as a fan of the players.  As a fan of the team, it does not help the 2018-2020 Jets at all.  Would rather spend the money on someone who might.

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

How did he give bad effort?

I think he can still play. That's the point. He's never been a player whose relied on his speed to be successful. He's a great route runner whose got great size and toughness when going up for the ball. I think he could help our next QB settle in.

He had one ball bounce off his chest, one pass he made no attempt to catch as the ball fell to his feet and another he tried to one hand. He ran slow, blocked with little effort. Other than those things, he played well. I like him as well, but this is his m.o when things go bad.

Archived