Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

Jets Passing Offense Film Review – Week 15 (Dolphins) Petty Nation

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
5 hours ago, JetNation said:

For people not enrolled in rehab programs:  A Fitzpatrick film breakdown article will be posted later today at 6 pm EST.  

Click here to read the full story...

Awesome, LOL!!!

Thanks Alvin. Great job as always. The first TD from Petty is so exciting. Hoping that is the QB he is, consistently.

IMO the best throw of the night was the play he was hurt on.  I'm sure the second that ball was snapped Petty knew he was about to get pounded.  it would have been very easy for him just to fall down and take the sack, or run in the other direction.

He delivered  a nice ball with out fear,  Heart is something you can't teach a player 

Great job as always. Pardon my ignorance ( maybe you posted this before) but how'd know so much about this stuff? You obviously have a background, so how do you think Petty is progressing thus far? Is he impressing you with his ability to read pro defences? Would you say that he's a good study? Would you say that he's ahead of where Geno and/or Sanchez were after so few games at the helm? thanks in advance. 

I thought Petty did a better job early in the pocket.  Where as vs. the 49'ers he was making his best plays when everything broke down. 

That said, he was off in the 2nd half.  Seemed to lose all touch and timing before that nasty hit he took (which was his best ball of the night).

It's a shame we didnt get to see more of this kid.  Especially now with the OL in shambles and Marshall giving 10% effort.  We're not going to get a good enough look at the kid and it's really a shame.

F U TODD BOWLES!!!

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Awesome, LOL!!!

Thanks Alvin. Great job as always. The first TD from Petty is so exciting. Hoping that is the QB he is, consistently.

Thanks, he definitely has some potential.  The results aren't there yet, but I feel like he's one of those talented pitchers that just doesn't have command yet.  It could never come, but the potential is just exciting.  

The Fitz one has very little analysis as you can probably see in the dashboard, lol.

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

why even bother LOL?

The future.  I'm not sure if you meant this or the upcoming Fitz one.  This one, just to break down the potential.  The Fitz one is just for fun.  

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

Great job

Thanks.

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

I think the chocolate chip cookies answer question A :)

Lol, I thought it was the hardest one to read because a large part of the equation (the original snap count) can't be accessed.  I still don't get why the offensive line didn't slide, they had a person for everyone on the line, even with the blitzers.   I thought the center may have snapped early, but Petty looked ready for the snap, didn't look like he was surprised at all.  

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

IMO the best throw of the night was the play he was hurt on.  I'm sure the second that ball was snapped Petty knew he was about to get pounded.  it would have been very easy for him just to fall down and take the sack, or run in the other direction.

He delivered  a nice ball with out fear,  Heart is something you can't teach a player 

Yeah, that was a great throw, and good awareness of the situation.  There is a play, earlier in the game, where it was an extremely low snap on what looked like a run play, and Petty just picked it up and ran into the line instead of trying to push it because it was still early in the down.  

I don't think I've seen someone get blown up like that any time recently, especially with the new rules.  The last I remember is that Jake Locker injury where Wilkerson hit him, and then some other defender knocked him the other way as he was falling.  And he practically retired after that play.  

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

good job

Thanks.  

23 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Great job as always. Pardon my ignorance ( maybe you posted this before) but how'd know so much about this stuff? You obviously have a background, so how do you think Petty is progression thus far? Is he impressing you with his ability to pro read defences? Would you say that he's a good study? Would you say that he's ahead of where Geno and/or Sanchez were after so few games at the helm? thanks in advance. 

Thanks.  

Loooong story, so here goes:

Almost all of it is self taught.  When I lived in NY, I used to write about the Yankees for a website (non major) and I needed a reason to stand out because I felt like I'm not going to compete with established websites or beat reporter blogs.  So I incorporated a ton of sabermetrics before it became mainstream, implemented opposition scouting reports, fantasy outlooks, which weren't widely available elsewhere.  Unfortunately, this coincided with a time where I was still under the delusion that I could become a doctor, so the pre-med classes took major time away from sports.  The editor there (basically the guy that owned the site- again small time website) said that he would rather have game recaps for every game, than the analytical posts, which I disagreed with.  Almost all fans could hop on ESPN, or RAB, or the Lohud blog to get recaps within the hour, so there was no point in me writing one up half asleep at 2 in the morning.  He disagreed, I left.  But I always felt that the content needs to be different, you have to draw people to something that's not readily available.   

Anyway, after that I moved down to the South, and I didn't know anyone here.  And when I tried to mingle with folks, they were football fanatics (college, NFL, and even high school) and I felt lost.  I didn't know half the things they were talking about, recruit rankings, read option runs, etc.  So I started to research more on the intricacies of football, formations, spread concepts, progressions.  All of it started out as a way to fit in with people so I could hold my own when talking.  And then I started to play fantasy football, and realized that I could have a major advantage if I knew tendencies, which also coincided with NFL releasing their coaches tape.  So instead of just looking at stats, I could look at strengths and weaknesses, and further enhance my chances.  For example, Fitz coming off the hot game against the Bills was a touted as a sneaky option, but I knew from the film breakdowns that the Chiefs were a horrible match up for him.  Not to that extent, but it helped me play fantasy as essentially a side job.  So money motivated me to research more, because fantasy sports was becoming all the rage and a ton of websites were popping up.  So after a couple of years, I felt like investing in it wasn't worth the time because there was just too much information out there for me to gain an advantage.  So I switched to just breaking down film for my own in my free times, and researching to understand what was happening.  I remember watching Geno play, and there is literally no one open to throw to, yet people were bashing him for not making a perfect pass.  And since I liked breaking down film, I would watch and read about it all over online, and there are a ton of videos on YouTube about film breakdowns and mechanics.  So when there was a chance to write here, I felt like I should do the same as my Yankee writing articles and go away from the mainstream breakdown and try to find a niche that's underrepresented.  But almost all of it is me researching it over time because I wanted to fit in here, lol.  

There is a ton of content available on the internet about football, and progressions, etc.  YouTube has a ton, especially spread concepts and which defenders to read, although it takes some time to weed out high school reads vs. college reads.  In fact, one of the articles I was going to write about was Hackenberg's mechanics because there is a 4 part series by Chad Pennington on QB mechanics there that I found interesting.  I didn't write it because I'd rather wait and see if he made any adjustments than hoping that he does in the future because it's a harder concept to convey.  

I don't consider myself to be in the know honestly, because almost everything I know, I've learned from others on the internet.  That's why I include the gifs on every play I talk about so if people disagree with me, or if they see something I don't, they can point it out with evidence.  

Petty seems much better at reading defenses than I expected, but most of that was based on Bowles and Decker saying he wasn't ready.  He is better than Fitzpatrick at reading defenses this year, but the issue is Fitzpatrick was better at it last year.  He somehow regressed this year, which makes me wonder if he abandons the system for his friends at times.  Petty does hold onto the ball for longer than needed at times, and he definitely takes risks.  He becomes predictable at times, because press coverage with a single high safety, he goes to the outside receiver almost 95% of the time.  He needs to switch it up sometimes because defenses will pick up on that, and bait him.  

I don't know if he's a good study guy yet, because there hasn't been enough tape on him to see progressions.  He looks better than I thought he would, but I don't know yet.  He definitely has talent.  

It's hard to tell those three apart, because they played with vastly different surrounding casts.  Sanchez looked better his first two years because he had more experience in a pro-style system, but he also had a great offensive line and running game.  He had the most time of the three to stand back there and find receivers so he would naturally look better.  Geno had the worst cast of the three because his running game was decent, but pass blocking was an issue and he had no players at all.  There is a Ravens game from his rookie year, where I found 2 open receivers for Geno in an entire half.  It was probably the worst group of receivers out there.  Petty doesn't have the offensive line of Sanchez, but he has much better receivers than Geno.   

I think Geno would do the best of the three given similar circumstances.  He has the arm talent, running ability, and experience at this point to thrive in this offense.  I think Petty has the biggest potential of the three, because his arm is the best of the three.  Sanchez is the least of the three IMO.  Although it's still too early to tell with Petty.  I am however confident that Geno will be better than a lot of people remember him to be.   He came into a horrible situation, with everything set up against him. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought Petty did a better job early in the pocket.  Where as vs. the 49'ers he was making his best plays when everything broke down. 

That said, he was off in the 2nd half.  Seemed to lose all touch and timing before that nasty hit he took (which was his best ball of the night).

It's a shame we didnt get to see more of this kid.  Especially now with the OL in shambles and Marshall giving 10% effort.  We're not going to get a good enough look at the kid and it's really a shame.

F U TODD BOWLES!!!

The whole team all but gave up after that blocked punt.  I believe it was right after they had a first down called back on review, stuffed on 4th down, and things just went downhill after that.  I don't think Marshall did him any favors though, there were a couple of passes that I thought he should have caught or made a better effort on.  

The Dolphins pass rush was relentless.  There is one play, where he tosses a 5 yard loss to Powell, which was a bad throw.  But Petty had a guy hit him before he even turned around from the play action come right up the middle, so he spun out of it, and just tossed it to Powell.  I think with experience he may step up in the pocket because I believe Enunwa was open down the field on that play.  

I have no idea why Fitzpatrick lasted as long as he did as the starter.