Petty definitely starting on Saturday

Maxman

IMG_9932.jpg

The Jets are facing a huge challenge on Sunday, the line vs the Cheaters opened up with the Jets being 16.5 point underdogs. The most important thing left for this season is the development of Bryce Petty. The Jets need to have a better understanding of what his future prospects are, so they can make long term decisions about the QB position in the off-season. Todd Bowles announced today that Petty would play on Sunday.

Bowles also left open the possibility that Christian Hackenberg could be active for the first time. When asked if the Jets were going to activate 2 or 3 QBs he said he hasn’t decided that yet.

Not playing Christian Hackenberg this season very well might be in his best interests for the long term. It would be nice to have him active for the final two games though.

Visit our forums to read more about Bryce Petty.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wMOeDlRNSBM

Click here to read the full story...

I haven't spent a lot of time watching Jets games this year, or spending much time on your forum.  Hence my question:

Do you legitimately think Petty has any chance of being the future for the Jets?  What about Hackenberg?  Or are the Jets guaranteed to be in the market for a starting QB next year? (either draft or trade or FA)

2 minutes ago, Jared said:

I haven't spent a lot of time watching Jets games this year, or spending much time on your forum.  Hence my question:

Do you legitimately think Petty has any chance of being the future for the Jets?  What about Hackenberg?  Or are the Jets guaranteed to be in the market for a starting QB next year? (either draft or trade or FA)

Jury is out on Petty. He has done some bad things. Done some good things. He has the arm for the league, very strong arm. He has balls, really likes to let it fly.

He holds the ball too long and the decision making process seems to be painful as he goes through his progressions.

But they are a bad team so it is all about evaluation mode at this point.  No idea about Hackenberg.

Petty hasn't looked great but he hasn't embarrassed himself out there either.  I know this is easier said than done but Macc needs to convince Woody to bite the bullet next year and stick with the young guys.  Go into camp with Petty, Hack and Glennon (at the right place) or Hoyer and just have an open QB competition.  I was a huge believer that there was no way Petty could do enough to guarantee himself the job next year, best case scenario he leaves the door open to compete next year.  Still two games to go but I do think he's done that.  With the improvements made from last year to this year and with him getting 4 games under his belt I'll actually be excited to see what he's got for 2017.

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Petty hasn't looked great but he hasn't embarrassed himself out there either.  I know this is easier said than done but Macc needs to convince Woody to bite the bullet next year and stick with the young guys.  Go into camp with Petty, Hack and Glennon (at the right place) or Hoyer and just have an open QB competition.  I was a huge believer that there was no way Petty could do enough to guarantee himself the job next year, best case scenario he leaves the door open to compete next year.  Still two games to go but I do think he's done that.  With the improvements made from last year to this year and with him getting 4 games under his belt I'll actually be excited to see what he's got for 2017.

Definitely have to sign Glennon

No point to signing Hoyer we might as well sign nobody 

11 hours ago, BRONX DUDE said:

This was a good time to insert Hackenberg.  Petty is hurting and his happy feet will show on Saturday.

Hack must be awful.

Just End The Season.

I wouldn't be shocked if we never saw Hackenburgh play in a regular season game ever

Meanwhile Prescott is like 12-2 and Cardale Jones may be starting soon

6 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

No, no no. No Glennon or Hoyer. No more dead end JAGS, and Glennon is a dead end journeyman JAG to be. Petty passes the eye test so far and he will need time to develop. Hack has already been labelled a bust but his ceiling is best QB in the NFL. In fact both QBs have franchise potential. QB development is all about reps. Bring in a draftee or UDFA as QB3 and let Petty and Hack get 90% of the 1st and 2nd team reps and 50% of the third team. Bite the bullet and develop one of our own QBs. All in. NO MORE HEDGING OUR BETS WITH USELESS VETERAN QBS. 

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we never saw Hackenburgh play in a regular season game ever

Petty would be lights out behind that OL and with their running game too. Prescott is good but largely a function of the system in my view. Hack is so much more talented than either of these guys it's not funny. And Glennon sucks. Pray that some other loser franchise signs that stiff.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

No, no no. No Glennon or Hoyer. No more dead end JAGS, and Glennon is a dead end journeyman JAG to be. Petty passes the eye test so far and he will need time to develop. Hack has already been labelled a bust but his ceiling is best QB in the NFL. In fact both QBs have franchise potential. QB development is all about reps. Bring in a draftee or UDFA as QB3 and let Petty and Hack get 90% of the 1st and 2nd team reps and 50% of the third team. Bite the bullet and develop one of our own QBs. All in. NO MORE HEDGING OUR BETS WITH USELESS VETERAN QBS. 

Totally agree. In two weeks, this sh*t organization will be in total rebuild. Developing the two kids is a no brainer. 

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Petty would be lights out behind that OL and with their running game too. Prescott is good but largely a function of the system in my view. Hack is so much more talented than either of these guys it's not funny. And Glennon sucks. Pray that some other loser franchise signs that stiff.

Such a homererotic post

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't disagree but unless they draft a guy in the first rd. you're fooling yourself if you think they don't bring in an insurance policy.  You just hope that if Hack or Petty are even close to as good as the vet we bring in Bowles goes with the young guy.  

We won't know what the Jets org thinks about Petty and Hack until the off season. If they go big time for a Qb it means that neither guy is really in their long terms plans to be the starter. Big time means either signing an expensive  Qb like Romo or Cutler or drafting a new Qb high, like the first round. If they sign a journeyman vet in the off season it might mean that Petty is seriously in the mix to be our 2017 starter. 

49 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Go into camp with Petty, Hack and Glennon (at the right place) or Hoyer and just have an open QB competition

A big HELL NO to Hoyer, Romo, Cutler, or any other veteran QB who will be looking for a job.  If we're gonna blow up the team, blow it up all the way.  No more veteran placeholders, especially at QB.   If Glennon can be had, bring him in and let Petty and Hack compete with him for the starting spot and may the best QB win.

14 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

A big HELL NO to Hoyer, Romo, Cutler, or any other veteran QB who will be looking for a job.  If we're gonna blow up the team, blow it up all the way.  No more veteran placeholders, especially at QB.   If Glennon can be had, bring him in and let Petty and Hack compete with him for the starting spot and may the best QB win.

Agreed but if this is the plan, Gailey needs to stay. Having to teach your two young incumbent qbs a new offense would set them back, maybe for good.

You guys crack me up about knowing whether Petty can be the starter or not. Peyton Manning wouldn't have a chance if it were up to most of you. Do you know Manning's stats his first three games? 

Game 1: Loss to Miami: 1TD 3 Interceptions 

Game 2: Loss to NE: 1TD 3 Interceptions

Game 3: Loss to Jets: 0TD 2 Interceptions

That's 2 TDs and 8 picks in his first 3 games. How did he turn out? You have to give guys that have ability the chance to develop. He ended up with 26 TDs and 28 interceptions on the year. The team was 3-13. 

"I wun't bee shokked iff yuu cuddd spel Hackenberg. "

But your opinion is already disqualified by your 17000 posts calling for the signing of Glennon, the busts of all busts

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You guys crack me up about knowing whether Petty can be the starter or not. Peyton Manning wouldn't have a chance if it were up to most of you. Do you know Manning's stats his first three games? 

Game 1: Loss to Miami: 1TD 3 Interceptions 

Game 2: Loss to NE: 1TD 3 Interceptions

Game 3: Loss to Jets: 0TD 2 Interceptions

That's 2 TDs and 8 picks in his first 3 games. How did he turn out? You have to give guys that have ability the chance to develop. He ended up with 26 TDs and 28 interceptions on the year. The team was 3-13. 

Peyton Manning was a top overall pick and was a no doubt franchise QB. Petty is a project QB whose ceiling is longtime backup and spot start drafted in the 4th round. Comparing the two is ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Peyton Manning was a top overall pick and was a no doubt franchise QB. Petty is a project QB whose ceiling is longtime backup and spot start drafted in the 4th round. Comparing the two is ridiculous. 

I don't believe he was comparing the two; I believe he was showing that the first 3 starts are NOT an indication of a QBs abilities. Heck, there are many here that say that 2 years of starts is not a fair sample.

Is Petty likely to be as good as Peyton, of course not. But, it isn't like 4th round QB (or a 6th for that matter) have never succeeded. 3 games (especially behind this OL) does not a fair look make. If they find someone who they think is better, should they try to get that QB? Of course. But, to classify Petty as a career backup based on 3 games and his draft position is, IMO, a bit quick to judgement.

Archived