2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lith said:

Bruce at 1B today for Duda.  Grandy, Conforto & Ces in the OF.  Now, if we only had a 3rd baseman.

I was all for this before the season but as hot as Bruce is right now I don't think I would put him on first. He's so streaky I would hate to have hi defense effect his offense. 

45 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Don't want to panic in April but man, will this team has a lot of flaws. Don't like its construction so far.

It is also the injuries that are killing me.  8-8 is no reason to panic, but just 3 weeks into the season and we have lost Wright, Nimmo, Lugo & Matz to the DL.  And Duda, Flores, Ces and TDA all day to day.  Add in all the work that the bullpen is being forced to put in this early, and it has the makings of a tough year.

46 minutes ago, Lith said:

It is also the injuries that are killing me.  8-8 is no reason to panic, but just 3 weeks into the season and we have lost Wright, Nimmo, Lugo & Matz to the DL.  And Duda, Flores, Ces and TDA all day to day.  Add in all the work that the bullpen is being forced to put in this early, and it has the makings of a tough year.

Wright is to be expected, I think his career is over unfortunately. Matz seems to be made of glass, and will always be on and off IR. We have more than enough starting pitching. The problem is this lineup cannot generate any runs without HR's, and they are making bad pitchers look good routinely. The pen is the biggest problem, and I am not convinced Familia fixes that at all.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Wright is to be expected, I think his career is over unfortunately. Matz seems to be made of glass, and will always be on and off IR. We have more than enough starting pitching. The problem is this lineup cannot generate any runs without HR's, and they are making bad pitchers look good routinely. The pen is the biggest problem, and I am not convinced Familia fixes that at all.

Think we may be seeing Rosario and Dom.Smith a lot sooner than anyone thought. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They're .500 and it's April. Calm the **** down.

Of course, but its hard to look at this team and think all the sudden things are going to drastically change for the better. We have played mostly awful teams so far, and we are seeing what I kind of expected to see coming into the season. A team that lives and dies with HR's, and cannot generate any runs without HR's. A team who needs the bullpen for 3 innings every night, and that bullpen is not good at all. The starting pitching has been everything you could have asked for and more. 

50 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Of course, but its hard to look at this team and think all the sudden things are going to drastically change for the better. We have played mostly awful teams so far, and we are seeing what I kind of expected to see coming into the season. A team that lives and dies with HR's, and cannot generate any runs without HR's. A team who needs the bullpen for 3 innings every night, and that bullpen is not good at all. The starting pitching has been everything you could have asked for and more. 

It's April.

49 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Has that been Mathematically proven?

Here ya go :)

It's calling out for some youth now, and better speed, from somewhere. It's coming.

Also Reyes. I still believe he's gonna get it together. But it's hurt them, and he's not giving them what they got last year from him. It's important and something they were counting on.

If you look for warts you'll find them. That goes for every team

Image result for calendar math kindergarten

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don't think I will ever get over how bad they misread the Murphy situation 

Murphy showed way too much heart as a hitter for Alderson. He prefers the gutless type who hits HRs or strikeout every at bat. The good news is Reyes is over .100 now, maybe he can even get to his body weight soon?

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm just going to keep believing that had the Mets paid him he would have been the same inconsistent guy instead of Superman. What the ****.

Its very possible he would have, but even his inconsistent play over the years would have been well worth the deal he signed, and he was one of the only hitters they had that battled through every at bat. They have nothing even close to that inconsistent Murphy anymore, let alone the superman version he showed the Mets at the end of his tenure that has continued on to the Nats.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets seem to love this April swoon. That they cannot string together hits is disconcerting

Ive really defended Alderson from day 1, even when most of the fan base was destroying him early on. That said, this lineup is on him. This is the type of lineup he loves. Its really going to be a shame if we look back 10 years from now at this group of starting pitchers and have no championships to show for it.

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Ive really defended Alderson from day 1, even when most of the fan base was destroying him early on. That said, this lineup is on him. This is the type of lineup he loves. Its really going to be a shame if we look back 10 years from now at this group of starting pitchers and have no championships to show for it.

Alderson is doing the best he can with the limitations he has. He's had some decision blow up in his face like the Daniel Murphy thing, to a lesser extent Justin turner and Cespedes was basically his fall back option when Gomez was who he coveted, even with all that the guy is doing a helluva job 

22 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Murphy showed way too much heart as a hitter for Alderson. He prefers the gutless type who hits HRs or strikeout every at bat. The good news is Reyes is over .100 now, maybe he can even get to his body weight soon?

Murphy was a .290 avg, .325 obp 12 HR guy with awful defense.  No one in baseball thought he'd become a .325 avg, .390 obp 25 HR guy.  If they did he would have gotten a lot more money than he did.

The only saving grace at this point is the Nats look ridiculous, the Cubs are turning it on and I dont think the Mets could beat either.  

Oh well, back to bottom dwellers.  Just such a shame, this team had so much promise.   I guess it's better than choking it away in September typical Mets fashion. 

Archived