2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Lesson for my son who is a pitcher and just starting to work out as a junior in HS. I am hoping as he catches on with a college program, they teach him the correct way to lift

Functional lifting seems to be the way to go for pitchers, golfers...etc. Kettlebell and rope work...etc. I can't for the life of me understand how the risk of heavy deadlifting is worth it for some of these guys. I thought Thor would actually be fine because he has some insanely freakish genes, but man.

Absolutely brutal first month to a season. Maybe the Mets can pull it together but with this many injuries this early who knows. If they can hang around .500 through the break that has to be considered a win at this point.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The injury to Syndergaard sucks but luckily for us it's only May 1st. It's probably an 8 week recovery time so hopefully by early July he's back on the mound. Honestly, it could have been worse right? Could have lost him for the year.

Pitching is this teams strength. We need deGrom and Harvey to step upw now. They're needed big time. Gotta get Matz and Lugo back.

Even with the Syndergaard injury yesterday, we did a nice job in DC taking 2 out 3. We just have to weather the injury bug. This team is really talented on paper. Reyes is turning this around. It's time for Granderson and Walker to start hitting, and Gsellman to start pitching well.

The Braves are a bad baseball team. We need to go in there and win this series. Even with our injuries we have no excuses. We have Harvey and deGrom going in this series. It's early, but we have to start winning games, get Cespedes back, get Matz back, and then get Noah back.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Functional lifting seems to be the way to go for pitchers, golfers...etc. Kettlebell and rope work...etc. I can't for the life of me understand how the risk of heavy deadlifting is worth it for some of these guys. I thought Thor would actually be fine because he has some insanely freakish genes, but man.

Absolutely brutal first month to a season. Maybe the Mets can pull it together but with this many injuries this early who knows. If they can hang around .500 through the break that has to be considered a win at this point.

Totally agree.

Everyone wants to throw harder, but look at guys in the 60s, 70s, 80s.   Lots of long toss, stuff like that, and they threw 300 innings a year.   Of course, they were all washed up by 30, so there's that.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:44 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Mets should have FORCED Thor on the DL, even though he refused MRI. Tough situation for the club though.See today how long the lat keeps him out. Guys is too tough for his own good and the Mets should have forced the situation.

Despite the blow-out loss on Sunday, I thought the Mts showed more heart this weekend than they had all season.

Yeah, I bet he tried push through everything cause he didn't wanna hear about the weights. Coulda been worse tho

I might be in the minority but he Thor thing, is one thing I can't really blame the Mets for, guy does know his body better than anyone. He wanted the ball add to that there is no way to know if the bicep had anything to do with the lat 

18 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

You know what would probably still go a long way here? Rosario and a Votto/Iglesias trade with the Reds

Nah, forgive me for saying this, but, if I were in charge of this organization I would have a firesale...EVERY veteran except Wheeler, deGrom, Syndergaarden, Conforto, Robles and of course Flores should be DFA'd or Traded.  Assuming the $hitshow continues, and I believe it will...on July 31, 2017 I want the lineup and 25 man roster to be as follows:

C Plawecki

C Carrillo

1B Smith

2B Checccini

SS Rosario

3B TJ Rivera

Inf Flores

Inf Reynolds

Inf Rodriguez

LF Conforto

CF Nimmo

RF Taijeron

OF Beccera

SP deGrom

SP Syndergaard

SP Wheeler

SP Gsellman

SP Lugo

CL Baldonado

RP Robles

RP Sewald

RP Goeddel

RP Smoker

RP Pill

RP Edgin

13 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

I might be in the minority but he Thor thing, is one thing I can't really blame the Mets for, guy does know his body better than anyone. He wanted the ball add to that there is no way to know if the bicep had anything to do with the lat 

Bullsh*t. If the doctor says you need an MRI, you get an MRI. I know Thor is Captain Redass, but the second he starts with the "I know my body" garbage, you give him a choice: get the MRI or go on the DL. The fact that the team just shrugged and sent him back out there is malpractice in every sense of the word.

Noah is just a redneck kid, his ego got the best of him. Lets hope he learns a lesson from this and he will understand that his fame is as delicate as his lats.  We dont know what happened behind the scenes, but I am assuming thor behaved like a obnoxious jerk.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Bullsh*t. If the doctor says you need an MRI, you get an MRI. I know Thor is Captain Redass, but the second he starts with the "I know my body" garbage, you give him a choice: get the MRI or go on the DL. The fact that the team just shrugged and sent him back out there is malpractice in every sense of the word.

They way it works is, I sign the check, I tell you what to do medically.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

There was an article on this which explained that every player's contract in Section 2 requires the player to submit to all examinations requested by the team and if a player refuses he can be fined or suspended up to 30 days.  So, yes, Sandy could've forced Thor to get an MRI before Sunday's start.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I get your point just don't think in this case it's that big of a deal. There is no proof that the bicep had anything to do with the lat tear.... yes he should've went for the MRI and yes sandy should've made him, but he didn't and sandy didnt, the bicep is not the injury, haven't read anything YET that says the two are connected. 

And to be honest, I'd much rather see a guy do what Noah did than a guy contemplating sitting out the playoffs for his own gain. Not that it makes it right. Maybe I'm scarred from being a met and jet fan, who knows 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Prize franchise player. How do they let him just go out there without a MRI? Insanity.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Prize franchise player. How do they let him just go out there without a MRI? Insanity.

You get an arm like that once in a great while.  You be smart, and get whatever tests done that you think you need.

52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look at that empty ballpark. Atlanta really is the worst sports town in the U.S. But hey at least they were able to fire a few hundred teachers and jack up tourism and property taxes to pay for that sh*t.

Worse than Miami??

12 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Worse than Miami??

Probably not.  At least the upper deck in Atlanta is open.  Went to a Mets-Marlins game on a Friday night in Miami last year -- the upper deck was completely shut.  Could not buy tickets up there - I am not sure if it is the same for every game.  

12 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Worse than Miami??

Tampa gets pretty empty too.

Miami, you can kinda see.  They win a WS, immediately blow it up.   Do it again.  Spend money to get a new stadium, immediately trade everyone.   Worst owner in baseball?

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Tampa gets pretty empty too.

Miami, you can kinda see.  They win a WS, immediately blow it up.   Do it again.  Spend money to get a new stadium, immediately trade everyone.   Worst owner in baseball?

As a met fan I'd take it

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look at that empty ballpark. Atlanta really is the worst sports town in the U.S. But hey at least they were able to fire a few hundred teachers and jack up tourism and property taxes to pay for that sh*t.

At least it's a nicer park than sh*tty Field . WILPON MUST GO .

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

As a Jets fan, so would I.  I think the worst was how he conned people into that new stadium.

Story of what seems to be like every owner lately. In the Braves case, my favorite part was the county announcing the issuance of hundreds of millions in bonds to pay for their half of the stadium right after they laid off a few hundred teachers because of budget cuts. #priorities

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Story of what seems to be like every owner lately. In the Braves case, my favorite part was the county announcing the issuance of hundreds of millions in bonds to pay for their half of the stadium right after they laid off a few hundred teachers because of budget cuts. #priorities

There's a High School out here, where they are cutting arts programs.  But...  They build a 60 million dollar football stadium.  For the town.   Sixty Million.

Best part it, after less than 2 years, they had to close it for a while because it was unsafe, they contractors did a horrible job in construction.

1 hour ago, OH THE PAIN said:

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

How is Citi field actually?   I friends that really like it.   Personally, I do not like new Yankee Stadium at all.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

How is Citi field actually?   I friends that really like it.   Personally, I do not like new Yankee Stadium at all.

Pretty ******* awesome. One of the best parks in the country tbh. No idea what that nutjob is talking about.

9 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

What?!  Citifield is probably one of nicest venues in sports today. Not to mention you could buy the worst seat in the house, never go to your seat and watch the game live from centerfield or the porch even behind some lower level seats and not miss a pitch. Citifield is great. 

Archived