2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I guess. Wouldn't want to rush the kid but this seems like an ideal time. Long road trip with no competition from the vets, followed by the break where him and the staff can assess things.

Feel like if he comes up now the "optics" will be a Hail Mary to save the season. If he comes up in late august, playoffs out of reach, get ML experience with almost no pressure and gives us at least one reason to watch

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually want to see them lose for the next couple weeks this way the false sense of playoff hope is gone. Once the trading deadline passes and we sell off all we can, I'd like to see them start winning again. Finish the season strong with the young guys leave the injured to heal and regroup for next year. 

44 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This season is sunk. He is a FA after this year, so might as well see if we can get a song for him.

Oh I get it.  That's why I said, "this is how it should be"...I just cant remember the Mets having someone hitting for power as consistently as he does.  I love me some Yo, but even he's never been this consistent except for the 1 magical half season. 

I think I'm just having a hard time accepting the fact the Jets are in the situation they're in.  This was supposed to be one of the teams on a rise where a piece like Bruce hitting the way he is would be huge in the line up.  Unfortunately, they're in a break it all down and build it back up mode when 2 years ago we all thought we'd be contenders for the foreseeable future.

Life as a Mets fan...

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a tremendous Freudian slip, even if it gave me a double sad.

I'm not even going to correct it.  This is how cruel professional sports are to me. 

Meanwhile, the Gators play in the National Championship for Baseball tonight.  And just think Pops (who passed all these sh*tty pro teams down to me) wanted me to go to UCF because it was cheaper.  No regard for my education or more importantly, their sports program.

oh edit: @dbatesman - I forgot to mention that my father didnt give me a dime for school.  I paid for it all.  Yep.  But UCF because its cheaper.  

<3 u daddy!!!!

On 6/26/2017 at 1:56 PM, JiF said:

I'm not even going to correct it.  This is how cruel professional sports are to me. 

Meanwhile, the Gators play in the National Championship for Baseball tonight.  And just think Pops (who passed all these sh*tty pro teams down to me) wanted me to go to UCF because it was cheaper.  No regard for my education or more importantly, their sports program.

oh edit: @dbatesman - I forgot to mention that my father didnt give me a dime for school.  I paid for it all.  Yep.  But UCF because its cheaper.  

<3 u daddy!!!!

Well at least you have one winner your Gators - I am stuck with Mets and Jets=hah

2 hours ago, faba said:

Well at least you have one winner your Gators - I am stuck with Mets and Jets=hah

Yeah, that was pretty cool.  3rd time is a charm!  

Meanwhile, did you hear Ron Darling rants last night when Gsellman got injured running to first? 

Ron Darling rips Mets trainers after yet another player goes down with an injury

Craig Calcaterra,NBC Sports 25 minutes ago 

Last night starter Robert Gsellman became the latest Mets player to go down with an injury when he strained his hamstring while running out a ground ball. He’s certain to go on the disabled list, making him the sixth Mets starter to go down this year. He’ll join Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler, Juan Lagares, Neil Walker, Matt Harvey, David Wright, Jeurys Familia and many, many other Mets on the DL.

Mets broadcaster Ron Darling is fed up with it. Last night, after Gsellman went down, he went off on the Mets trainers, who he believes to be enabling all of this:

“[These] trainers, get them in a room with some of the old trainers and people that took care of baseball players and how to keep them healthy. And get them in a room and try to tap into their knowledge on how you train baseball players — not weightlifters, not six-pack wearers — baseball players. They’re doing a disservice to their million-dollar athletes that they’re paying. It’s a joke to watch this happen each and every night.”

Here’s video of his rant:

Darling is certainly tapping into a frustration a lot of Mets fans feel. For years the Mets injury issues have vexed the fanbase, less so for the sheer number of them — other teams have had more DL trips for their players — than for the manner in which they were handled and/or discussed by the team. They’ve often been loathe to use the disabled list even when it makes sense to and have, at times, run guys out to play despite there being serious red flags which would counsel most teams from doing so.

But is he right about why the players are getting injured? It’s a commonly held bit of conventional wisdom that players using weight training and being muscular makes them more brittle, but I’m unaware of any science that backs that up (if you have some, please pass it along, I’d genuinely be interested in reading it). Maybe it’s true, maybe it isn’t, but Darling seems so certain about it.

He could be right. But I also suspect that Darling may be falling prey to some back-in-my-dayism that retired players often exhibit. Are players getting injured more or are they merely being diagnosed better? Are they getting more seriously injured, or are they just taken out of action more quickly rather than be left to play through injuries like so many old timers have claimed they had to back in the 50s, 60s and 70s? Fireballers used to try to hang on as junkballers after suffering elbow injuries that today would send a guy to surgery. There was a much greater tolerance for lumbering slow dudes who might take it easy with a bad hammy as opposed to getting shut down now.

None of which is to say that Darling is wrong, necessarily. Like I said, maybe there is something to the idea that weight training and musculature makes a player more brittle. But I am always loathe to nod along with an old player who says the science and medicine surrounding sports has regressed compared to where it was back in his day. It may be true, but it’s counterintuitive given how science and medicine usually work. And when you offer a counterintuitive take like that, I think you need more evidence than your frustration at an injury occurring in front of you in real time.

Ugly win last night, but still a win.  Well, that is 7 Ws out of 8 heading into this afternoon's game.  If they can finish off the sweep today and take 2 out of 3 in Washington and maybe I will start to get excited about the 2nd half.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Ugly win last night, but still a win.  Well, that is 7 Ws out of 8 heading into this afternoon's game.  If they can finish off the sweep today and take 2 out of 3 in Washington and maybe I will start to get excited about the 2nd half.

Still have a huge mountain to climb. Even if they do somehow climb back into it. I'd like to see them sell off guys in there walk year, bring the kids up and let the cards fall where they fall

23 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Still have a huge mountain to climb. Even if they do somehow climb back into it. I'd like to see them sell off guys in there walk year, bring the kids up and let the cards fall where they fall

Don't disagree with you at all.   I am not thinking postseason -- just hoping they can give me enough to at least keep me interested through the summer.

21 hours ago, Lith said:

Meanwhile, the Braves are game below .500.  The ******* Braves.

I'm just waiting for when Tebow gets called up. Then this will be an epic season.

On 7/4/2017 at 8:57 AM, Anthony Jet said:

Is alright to say cespedes sucks yet

I think he became muscle bound and that has hurt his playing ability and health...lifting became more important to him than his baseball career - same could be said regarding Syndergaard.

Sadly the run is over with this team and truth be told, overall Sandy has been a bad general manager, horrible no, bad yes.  His drafting has been mediocre - I will never forgive him for drafting Harvey over Sale.  His free agent signings have been awful, retaining Wright and Walker, Cuddyer, John Mayberry, Bastardo, deAza (Granderson has been good but worth the $$$?, only real good one was el Colon),OMG look at the players he dumped:  Justin Turner, Angel Pagan, Daniel Murphy, Jose Reyes, Collin McHugh,Dario Alvarez, Akeel Morris, Matt Bowman.  Not to mention he traded away who is looking like possibly the best of all the pitchers (Fulmer) for an effin rental (at the time) Cespedes then gives Ces a record contract without vetting the muscle problems first.

As for the state of the Franchise at this moment..there is NOT ONE offensive player that is worthy of being held onto - Conforto has NO position, perhaps his best position is LF - but that is reserved for a "healthy" Cespedes - therefore ONE of the Two if NOT BOTH must be traded.  Playing Conforto in CF or RF - gives up too much on D and surely impacts Conforto at the plate.  Pitching, ideally you go into next year with the core three of deGrom, Matz and Syndergaard however can you count on Matz and Thor?  IDK!  ALso deGrom will be on the wrong side of 30 and next year will be a year away from is FA year Sell high?  We are still 2 years away from the "potential" next round of arms in Chris Flexen, Marcos Molina, PJ Conlon, Thomas Szapucki and Corey Oswalt.  Do we hold onto hope that deGrom, Matz and Thor can be expected to be be front end starters in 2019 to lead the new wave of youngsters?  or do well sell and fill when necessary?   

Sandy's (and the Coupon's) biggest epic fail (aside from letting Turner and Murphy go):  Not foreseeing that 2015 was "THE YEAR" and therefore neglected to add enough offense and bullpen help before and during the season. 

15 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I think he became muscle bound and that has hurt his playing ability and health...lifting became more important to him than his baseball career - same could be said regarding Syndergaard.

Who the hell knows. There's no communication or coordination between the training, medical, and coaching staffs. The old dudes running the show misunderstand the modern science of strength and conditioning so much it's not even funny. Putting on muscle isn't the problem, it's the mechanics of engaging that new muscle. That they thought Thor could do everything the same with the added weight is just ******* dumb. And so far as Cespedes goes it's clear that the trainers have no concept of modern methods of recovery.

There's a reason this franchise is the most injury plagued in all of American sports, it's not luck and it most certainly is not the players taking creatine. Look at the way Warthen does things for ****'s sake.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who the hell knows. There's no communication or coordination between the training, medical, and coaching staffs. The old dudes running the show misunderstand the modern science of strength and conditioning so much it's not even funny. Putting on muscle isn't the problem, it's the mechanics of engaging that new muscle. That they thought Thor could do everything the same with the added weight is just ******* dumb. And so far as Cespedes goes it's clear that the trainers have no concept of modern methods of recovery.

There's a reason this franchise is the most injury plagued in all of American sports, it's not luck and it most certainly is not the players taking creatine. Look at the way Warthen does things for ****'s sake.

I hear you but I dont think I can agree on everything.  Injuries are rampant all over baseball these days.  Just look at what happened to the Yankees over the last month.  The Nats lost two key players in Eaton and Turner now, but they are so effin deep they could lose two more and still win without anything that resembles a major league bullpen.  That brings up a whole other Mets problem - DEPTH, the Mets had zero ready for primetime prospects to bring up this year and made zero upgrades of any position.   If I were running the show I would have picked up a Catcher, a 3rd baseman and at least two bullpen arms including a legit closer at the very least.  I am sorry but having blown his last four post-season save opportunities was enough to convince me to take away the closer role from Familia.   Wade Davis and Greg Holland were there for the taking.  

As for the pitching issues, why all these pitchers are getting injured - I believe is due to Throwing as Hard as they can on every pitch...too much stress on the arm (also consider they are throwing the secondary offerings (curve, slider) as hard as they can as well).  Back in the day a great pitcher could reach back for a little extra to get the K, notice now how you see a pitcher throw consistently 97 and not have anything to reach back for when he needs it because he has already blown his load.

Then the Harvey issue - I believe this years injury was due to improper rehab from the thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.  Nevertheless - not one pitcher who had this surgery has returned to form and for most it was career ending...to name a few whose careers were ended due to this surgery:  Josh Beckett, Tyson Ross, Luke Hochevar, Clayton Richard, Matt Harrison, Chris Carpenter, Noah Lowry and Shaun Marcum.  Others like Harvey, Phil Hughes and Jamie Garcia have stunk since the surgery.  So for the Mets to be counting on Harvey as a frontline starter was pretty foolish IMO.

Then consider that deGrom and Matz were fresh off elbow surgery - hmmm perhaps making a trade for Chris Sale would have been a better indicator of "all in".

3 hours ago, deucebag said:

Sadly the run is over with this team and truth be told, overall Sandy has been a bad general manager, horrible no, bad yes.  His drafting has been mediocre - I will never forgive him for drafting Harvey over Sale.  His free agent signings have been awful, retaining Wright and Walker, Cuddyer, John Mayberry, Bastardo, deAza (Granderson has been good but worth the $$$?, only real good one was el Colon),OMG look at the players he dumped:  Justin Turner, Angel Pagan, Daniel Murphy, Jose Reyes, Collin McHugh,Dario Alvarez, Akeel Morris, Matt Bowman.  Not to mention he traded away who is looking like possibly the best of all the pitchers (Fulmer) for an effin rental (at the time) Cespedes then gives Ces a record contract without vetting the muscle problems first.

As for the state of the Franchise at this moment..there is NOT ONE offensive player that is worthy of being held onto - Conforto has NO position, perhaps his best position is LF - but that is reserved for a "healthy" Cespedes - therefore ONE of the Two if NOT BOTH must be traded.  Playing Conforto in CF or RF - gives up too much on D and surely impacts Conforto at the plate.  Pitching, ideally you go into next year with the core three of deGrom, Matz and Syndergaard however can you count on Matz and Thor?  IDK!  ALso deGrom will be on the wrong side of 30 and next year will be a year away from is FA year Sell high?  We are still 2 years away from the "potential" next round of arms in Chris Flexen, Marcos Molina, PJ Conlon, Thomas Szapucki and Corey Oswalt.  Do we hold onto hope that deGrom, Matz and Thor can be expected to be be front end starters in 2019 to lead the new wave of youngsters?  or do well sell and fill when necessary?   

Sandy's (and the Coupon's) biggest epic fail (aside from letting Turner and Murphy go):  Not foreseeing that 2015 was "THE YEAR" and therefore neglected to add enough offense and bullpen help before and during the season. 

Remember all the fans that were screaming when the Mets let Turner go? Wow, that was a crazy time.

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Remember all the fans that were screaming when the Mets let Turner go? Wow, that was a crazy time.

I kind of get the feeling that anybody in the Mets organization (players, coaches, managers, right down to the ped delivery person) must kiss Sandy's old wrinkled saggy a$$ or they are gone.   Look at the guys who have been let go - seems that anyone with balz gets shown the door.  The Mets are run more like a big four accounting firm rather than a baseball team.

30 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I kind of get the feeling that anybody in the Mets organization (players, coaches, managers, right down to the ped delivery person) must kiss Sandy's old wrinkled saggy a$$ or they are gone.   Look at the guys who have been let go - seems that anyone with balz gets shown the door.  The Mets are run more like a big four accounting firm rather than a baseball team.

So, Justin Turner declined to kiss Alderson's ass, that is why he is gone? 

You don't address the point that really NO ONE thought that Turner was going to be anything. 

On 7/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, Scott Dierking said:

So, Justin Turner declined to kiss Alderson's ass, that is why he is gone? 

You don't address the point that really NO ONE thought that Turner was going to be anything. 

I do not believe that was the case, he proved himself to be a contact hitter and hit well enough to stick around a team that other than Murphy and Wright was fielding a semi-pro (not even minor league quality) lineup.  I thought the excuse was, we have Wright at 3B and Murphy at 2B no position to play him...

10 hours ago, deucebag said:

I do not believe that was the case, he proved himself to be a contact hitter and hit well enough to stick around a team that other than Murphy and Wright was fielding a semi-pro (not even minor league quality) lineup.  I thought the excuse was, we have Wright at 3B and Murphy at 2B no position to play him...

The excuse was and is, Turner never showed any of the prowess with the Mets that he has with the Dodgers. Not even close. And there was not one Met fan I have ever met, that was sad to see Turner leave and expected ho to be doing what he is currently.

He was a .270 hitter with no speed or power with the Mets. To his credit, he transformed his swing with the Dodgers.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

8 games back of .500 at the break and they still aren't going to call Amed up. I don't understand this franchise at all.

This franchise will suck as long as the Wilsons own it. They may have some luck here and there, but the will never be a legit franchise with these owners, never.

Archived