adb280z

2017 Mets thread!

32EBoozer    1,530
On 7/31/2017 at 2:56 PM, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets farm system has been exposed for not having reliever depth. The Duda trade and Reed trade make that better. Callahan is supposedly close to being ready. The rest is depth.

The Mets need to take care of Catcher (Lucroy?), Third Base and 2nd Base for next season.

With Cabrera sticking around, Flores and TJ.... I think 2nd base is well manned. 3rd base and catcher are the two positions of great need!

Get them in FA.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
JohnJ    274

Rosario batting 7th and playing SS to nite. Smith is just a matter of time.

There's a core of players on this team to feel good about. Just gotta wait and see how Sandy tweaks it for next year. Conforto can ball and is driven. He proved it as far as I'm concerned.

The AJ Ramos trade was a slick move. Looking towards next year.

• Upvote 1

faba    117,901

Reyes goes back to being what he was supposed to be supersub in the infield.Still a longjam in the infield right now  I expect a waiver trade in August some time Cabrera

JohnJ    274
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Cabrera sticking around, Flores and TJ.... I think 2nd base is well manned. 3rd base and catcher are the two positions of great need!

Get them in FA.

Gotta wonder if Walker is in the mix also. 

But like Dierking said: 2nd, 3rd, and C. With Coupon restraints I wonder if only two of those will be addressed. I don't like Wilmer or Rivera in the infield starting at 3rd, they're liabilities defensively. I suppose 2nd is possible, but if Rivera's arm doesn't heal that counts that out . We'll see, will be interesting to see what they do

RutgersJetFan    84,001
12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Even just one of the 4 relievers that they acquired in the past 2 weeks begins a regular middle innings guy, or even better a future closer, this trade period will have to be deemed a success. 

The Mets were not re-signing either Duda or Reed. Got something for them while they could. 

In the best world, several of these relievers turn into something, they have cheap, controllable assets in that area of the team and can spend in other areas.

Like I said, I get it, I just question it. We're spending more resources building the bullpen then they are outfielders and infield positions. Priorities just seem out of wack. All-Star pitching, both starters and relievers, can be bought more easily than offense. The Mets need cheap hitters more than they do cheap relievers. 

If this is what was available, that's fine. But it's still a let down. After Dom and Rosario there seems to be a real lag on offense on the farm, and we've been doing nothing but drafting pitching and trading for pitching. I look at things comparatively, and looking around the league this isn't what the other teams that look to be set up for long term success are doing. 

Anthony Jet    329
22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Like I said, I get it, I just question it. We're spending more resources building the bullpen then they are outfielders and infield positions. Priorities just seem out of wack. All-Star pitching, both starters and relievers, can be bought more easily than offense. The Mets need cheap hitters more than they do cheap relievers. 

If this is what was available, that's fine. But it's still a let down. After Dom and Rosario there seems to be a real lag on offense on the farm, and we've been doing nothing but drafting pitching and trading for pitching. I look at things comparatively, and looking around the league this isn't what the other teams that look to be set up for long term success are doing. 

I dunno if your right or wrong about easier to buy pitching than hitting right now but I could swear that the rule of thumb used to be the opposite. 

But that could also be from the last run the Mets had was all lineup no pitching 06-08

RutgersJetFan    84,001
36 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I dunno if your right or wrong about easier to buy pitching than hitting right now but I could swear that the rule of thumb used to be the opposite. 

But that could also be from the last run the Mets had was all lineup no pitching 06-08

It's possible. I don't think I ever really know what I'm talking about, I'm just going by what I see with other teams. The franchises that look best set up for long-term competitiveness don't seem to do things our way. We have focused so heavily on pitching for so long and here we are, back to a transitional period. It just strikes me as weird and something could have been done differently along the way to head that off. 

Jetsfan80    72,273

It's better to go after hitting prospects because they tend to be "safer".  If you were a great hitter at a top prep program or a good college program, your skillset has a better chance of translating than it does for pitchers. 

Pitchers get hurt, mismanaged, flame out quickly or just plain don't translate sometimes.  They're not nearly stable enough assets to invest the kind of resources that the Mets do.  Plus, you're about as likely to find pitchers in the mid-later rounds of the draft as you are at the top.  Even more importantly, the bust probability is much higher for pitchers taken in the early rounds than it is for hitters.  The 2013 draft had tons of pitching busts, but Kris Bryant and Aaron Judge were among the first 32 picks.  The 2012 draft saw Michael Wacha go in the 1st as the best pitcher of that class, but it also saw Carlos Correa, Corey Seager and Addison Russell. 

So yeah, there's a lot of credence to the philosophy of allocating your draft picks primarily to hitting prospects.  You might not be able to trade them as easily down the road, but you're more likely to get more "bang for your buck". 

JiF    125,351

So, Rosario might be pretty good at this game.

chirorob    1,490
11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's possible. I don't think I ever really know what I'm talking about, I'm just going by what I see with other teams. The franchises that look best set up for long-term competitiveness don't seem to do things our way. We have focused so heavily on pitching for so long and here we are, back to a transitional period. It just strikes me as weird and something could have been done differently along the way to head that off. 

I think the Yanks spent 10 of their first 11 picks in the draft on pitchers.  You need some of both, if Severino doesn't step up, they are not nearly as close to 1st place.

32EBoozer    1,530
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's better to go after hitting prospects because they tend to be "safer".  If you were a great hitter at a top prep program or a good college program, your skillset has a better chance of translating than it does for pitchers. 

Pitchers get hurt, mismanaged, flame out quickly or just plain don't translate sometimes.  They're not nearly stable enough assets to invest the kind of resources that the Mets do.  Plus, you're about as likely to find pitchers in the mid-later rounds of the draft as you are at the top.  Even more importantly, the bust probability is much higher for pitchers taken in the early rounds than it is for hitters.  The 2013 draft had tons of pitching busts, but Kris Bryant and Aaron Judge were among the first 32 picks.  The 2012 draft saw Michael Wacha go in the 1st as the best pitcher of that class, but it also saw Carlos Correa, Corey Seager and Addison Russell. 

So yeah, there's a lot of credence to the philosophy of allocating your draft picks primarily to hitting prospects.  You might not be able to trade them as easily down the road, but you're more likely to get more "bang for your buck". 

Don't remind me!!

• Upvote 1

JiF    125,351

On a positive note, Rosario has a hit in every game so far.  Including a triple and he scored a run last night.  So we've got that going for us. 

Scott Dierking    129,436
29 minutes ago, JiF said:

On a positive note, Rosario has a hit in every game so far.  Including a triple and he scored a run last night.  So we've got that going for us. 

He just looks athletic, with a body that is only going to develop more. The infield defense is better already. Will be more so when Smith comes up.

Just not sure what to expect with Smith as a hitter. Can the Mets exist with a 15 HR guy at first base? Might have to play Conforto in CF then to make up for the shortage of power at 1b. 

This teams needs a legit 3b. Nibble on Frazier this winter?

JiF    125,351
9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He just looks athletic, with a body that is only going to develop more. The infield defense is better already. Will be more so when Smith comes up.

Just not sure what to expect with Smith as a hitter. Can the Mets exist with a 15 HR guy at first base? Might have to play Conforto in CF then to make up for the shortage of power at 1b. 

That fact that you're losing pop at 1st with Smith, makes me want to hold on to Bruce all the more.  The guy is a consistent 30 HR's a year.  

There are couple of interesting 3b FA's...Frazier, Moustakas, Reynolds.  I know they've got a couple of options in the farm too...but they seem a few seasons away.

32EBoozer    1,530
20 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dom Smith is a "gap" hitter similar to Olerud. His swing allows him to be a superior contact hitter. I'd rather have him than a Duda or Bruce who hit .250 with 30 hr's but strike out 150x/yr. Smith is striking out at a 15% clip with an OBP over .400. I can settle for 15 - 20 HR when the guy is also crushing 30 - 40 doubles with exceptional defense and OBP.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2017/08/dominic-smith-named-pcl-player-of-the-month.html/

The accolades keep coming for the Mets first base prospect Dominic Smith as he’s been named the Pacific Coast League Player of the Month for July.

His .385 average led the PCL for the month, his eight homers ranked fourth and his 28 runs scored led the league as well.

Smith was also named Player of the Month in June of 2015 by the Florida State League.

Original Post – 8/4, 1 PM

Las Vegas 51s first baseman Dominic Smith was named to Baseball America‘s All Prospect Team for the Month of July. This is just the latest accolade Smith has received this month with him twice being named an MLB Pipeline Player of the Week, and his being named MMNs Position Player of the Month.

In July, Smith hit .385/.437/.725 with 13 doubles, eight homers, and 26 RBI. The eight homers in a month is a career best for him. The slugging percentage was also a career high, which was due in large part to Smith collecting an extra base hit in 16 of the 26 games he played.

The power surge was not accompanied by an all or nothing approach at the plate. Smith would reach base in 24 of the 26 games he played that month. He also struck out in only 15.6% of his plate appearances over the month. In total, Smith was not only hitting everything he saw, he was driving it somewhere. The results were astounding.

This surge is similar to the power surge Smith had last season. At that time, he sent career highs in homers, RBI, and slugging percentage.

On the season, Smith is hitting .337/.394/.533 with 33 doubles, two triples, 16 homers, and 73 RBI. He has tied his career bests in doubles and triples, and he has set new personal records for homers and extra-base hits.

In total, Smith has done all he needs to do to prove the Mets should call him up to the major leagues. With Lucas Duda wearing a Tampa Bay Rays uniform that time should come sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1

JohnJ    274

Josh Smoker SMFH. Throw a pitch up and in to Bellinger and Bellinger swings like Jessica Mendoza. So then why not groove one low outer half, that'll fool him. Where ever Edgin went this guy need goes there too asap **** outta here

JohnJ    274

Indians To Acquire Jay Bruce

Glad he's going to a contender and a team I like. Ima Indian fan now. Too bad sh*t fell apart this year around him. I liked the trade when we got him, I liked that we held onto him, and it turned out he was a very good player for us, a great teammate, and a great guy. Good Luck Jay

• Upvote 1

faba    117,901

Mixed about this trade= Bruce good guy in clubhouse gave you power. at some point this team has to spend some money-hah

At least we have Rosario and Smith as youth infusions with Conforto to build on

• Upvote 1

JohnJ    274

Smith coming up for tomorrow night's game. Plug him in and let him play along with Rosario. Let them get the experience to grow with before next year.

They gotta get this staff right for next year. Easy on Jake the rest of the way, Harvey's almost ready, and get the rest of these guys healthy for one ******* season FFS.

Sandy has got to get a player, or two, to round out the lineup. A third baseman, an outfielder, whatever, he has to get a quality guy in here for next year.

• Upvote 1

SenorGato    13,222

At first I was all like "oh that's nice, the Mets promoted Smith." Then I was like lol Mets pitching...DeGrom, who has missed what amounts to multiple seasons to elbow issues and surgery, was supposed to be the reliable, healthy, durable one right? 

I just hope Rosario and Smith aren't Corey Patterson and Hee Seop Choi, because wow do these Mets remind me of the 2000s Cubs. 

On 8/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, SenorGato said:

At first I was all like "oh that's nice, the Mets promoted Smith." Then I was like lol Mets pitching...DeGrom, who has missed what amounts to multiple seasons to elbow issues and surgery, was supposed to be the reliable, healthy, durable one right? 

I just hope Rosario and Smith aren't Corey Patterson and Hee Seop Choi, because wow do these Mets remind me of the 2000s Cubs. 

Hey Gato , worry about those stinky Cubs ; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA