adb280z

2017 Mets thread!

671 posts in this topic

Is alright to say cespedes sucks yet

On 7/4/2017 at 8:57 AM, Anthony Jet said:

I think he became muscle bound and that has hurt his playing ability and health...lifting became more important to him than his baseball career - same could be said regarding Syndergaard.

Sadly the run is over with this team and truth be told, overall Sandy has been a bad general manager, horrible no, bad yes.  His drafting has been mediocre - I will never forgive him for drafting Harvey over Sale.  His free agent signings have been awful, retaining Wright and Walker, Cuddyer, John Mayberry, Bastardo, deAza (Granderson has been good but worth the $$$?, only real good one was el Colon),OMG look at the players he dumped:  Justin Turner, Angel Pagan, Daniel Murphy, Jose Reyes, Collin McHugh,Dario Alvarez, Akeel Morris, Matt Bowman.  Not to mention he traded away who is looking like possibly the best of all the pitchers (Fulmer) for an effin rental (at the time) Cespedes then gives Ces a record contract without vetting the muscle problems first.

As for the state of the Franchise at this moment..there is NOT ONE offensive player that is worthy of being held onto - Conforto has NO position, perhaps his best position is LF - but that is reserved for a "healthy" Cespedes - therefore ONE of the Two if NOT BOTH must be traded.  Playing Conforto in CF or RF - gives up too much on D and surely impacts Conforto at the plate.  Pitching, ideally you go into next year with the core three of deGrom, Matz and Syndergaard however can you count on Matz and Thor?  IDK!  ALso deGrom will be on the wrong side of 30 and next year will be a year away from is FA year Sell high?  We are still 2 years away from the "potential" next round of arms in Chris Flexen, Marcos Molina, PJ Conlon, Thomas Szapucki and Corey Oswalt.  Do we hold onto hope that deGrom, Matz and Thor can be expected to be be front end starters in 2019 to lead the new wave of youngsters?  or do well sell and fill when necessary?   

Sandy's (and the Coupon's) biggest epic fail (aside from letting Turner and Murphy go):  Not foreseeing that 2015 was "THE YEAR" and therefore neglected to add enough offense and bullpen help before and during the season. 

15 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I think he became muscle bound and that has hurt his playing ability and health...lifting became more important to him than his baseball career - same could be said regarding Syndergaard.

Who the hell knows. There's no communication or coordination between the training, medical, and coaching staffs. The old dudes running the show misunderstand the modern science of strength and conditioning so much it's not even funny. Putting on muscle isn't the problem, it's the mechanics of engaging that new muscle. That they thought Thor could do everything the same with the added weight is just ******* dumb. And so far as Cespedes goes it's clear that the trainers have no concept of modern methods of recovery.

There's a reason this franchise is the most injury plagued in all of American sports, it's not luck and it most certainly is not the players taking creatine. Look at the way Warthen does things for ****'s sake.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Who the hell knows. There's no communication or coordination between the training, medical, and coaching staffs. The old dudes running the show misunderstand the modern science of strength and conditioning so much it's not even funny. Putting on muscle isn't the problem, it's the mechanics of engaging that new muscle. That they thought Thor could do everything the same with the added weight is just ******* dumb. And so far as Cespedes goes it's clear that the trainers have no concept of modern methods of recovery.

There's a reason this franchise is the most injury plagued in all of American sports, it's not luck and it most certainly is not the players taking creatine. Look at the way Warthen does things for ****'s sake.

I hear you but I dont think I can agree on everything.  Injuries are rampant all over baseball these days.  Just look at what happened to the Yankees over the last month.  The Nats lost two key players in Eaton and Turner now, but they are so effin deep they could lose two more and still win without anything that resembles a major league bullpen.  That brings up a whole other Mets problem - DEPTH, the Mets had zero ready for primetime prospects to bring up this year and made zero upgrades of any position.   If I were running the show I would have picked up a Catcher, a 3rd baseman and at least two bullpen arms including a legit closer at the very least.  I am sorry but having blown his last four post-season save opportunities was enough to convince me to take away the closer role from Familia.   Wade Davis and Greg Holland were there for the taking.  

As for the pitching issues, why all these pitchers are getting injured - I believe is due to Throwing as Hard as they can on every pitch...too much stress on the arm (also consider they are throwing the secondary offerings (curve, slider) as hard as they can as well).  Back in the day a great pitcher could reach back for a little extra to get the K, notice now how you see a pitcher throw consistently 97 and not have anything to reach back for when he needs it because he has already blown his load.

Then the Harvey issue - I believe this years injury was due to improper rehab from the thoracic outlet syndrome surgery.  Nevertheless - not one pitcher who had this surgery has returned to form and for most it was career ending...to name a few whose careers were ended due to this surgery:  Josh Beckett, Tyson Ross, Luke Hochevar, Clayton Richard, Matt Harrison, Chris Carpenter, Noah Lowry and Shaun Marcum.  Others like Harvey, Phil Hughes and Jamie Garcia have stunk since the surgery.  So for the Mets to be counting on Harvey as a frontline starter was pretty foolish IMO.

Then consider that deGrom and Matz were fresh off elbow surgery - hmmm perhaps making a trade for Chris Sale would have been a better indicator of "all in".

3 hours ago, deucebag said:

Sadly the run is over with this team and truth be told, overall Sandy has been a bad general manager, horrible no, bad yes.  His drafting has been mediocre - I will never forgive him for drafting Harvey over Sale.  His free agent signings have been awful, retaining Wright and Walker, Cuddyer, John Mayberry, Bastardo, deAza (Granderson has been good but worth the $$$?, only real good one was el Colon),OMG look at the players he dumped:  Justin Turner, Angel Pagan, Daniel Murphy, Jose Reyes, Collin McHugh,Dario Alvarez, Akeel Morris, Matt Bowman.  Not to mention he traded away who is looking like possibly the best of all the pitchers (Fulmer) for an effin rental (at the time) Cespedes then gives Ces a record contract without vetting the muscle problems first.

As for the state of the Franchise at this moment..there is NOT ONE offensive player that is worthy of being held onto - Conforto has NO position, perhaps his best position is LF - but that is reserved for a "healthy" Cespedes - therefore ONE of the Two if NOT BOTH must be traded.  Playing Conforto in CF or RF - gives up too much on D and surely impacts Conforto at the plate.  Pitching, ideally you go into next year with the core three of deGrom, Matz and Syndergaard however can you count on Matz and Thor?  IDK!  ALso deGrom will be on the wrong side of 30 and next year will be a year away from is FA year Sell high?  We are still 2 years away from the "potential" next round of arms in Chris Flexen, Marcos Molina, PJ Conlon, Thomas Szapucki and Corey Oswalt.  Do we hold onto hope that deGrom, Matz and Thor can be expected to be be front end starters in 2019 to lead the new wave of youngsters?  or do well sell and fill when necessary?   

Sandy's (and the Coupon's) biggest epic fail (aside from letting Turner and Murphy go):  Not foreseeing that 2015 was "THE YEAR" and therefore neglected to add enough offense and bullpen help before and during the season. 

Remember all the fans that were screaming when the Mets let Turner go? Wow, that was a crazy time.

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Remember all the fans that were screaming when the Mets let Turner go? Wow, that was a crazy time.

I kind of get the feeling that anybody in the Mets organization (players, coaches, managers, right down to the ped delivery person) must kiss Sandy's old wrinkled saggy a$$ or they are gone.   Look at the guys who have been let go - seems that anyone with balz gets shown the door.  The Mets are run more like a big four accounting firm rather than a baseball team.

So should we still try to sign Bartolo? What are the thoughts

30 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I kind of get the feeling that anybody in the Mets organization (players, coaches, managers, right down to the ped delivery person) must kiss Sandy's old wrinkled saggy a$$ or they are gone.   Look at the guys who have been let go - seems that anyone with balz gets shown the door.  The Mets are run more like a big four accounting firm rather than a baseball team.

So, Justin Turner declined to kiss Alderson's ass, that is why he is gone? 

You don't address the point that really NO ONE thought that Turner was going to be anything. 

On 7/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, Scott Dierking said:

So, Justin Turner declined to kiss Alderson's ass, that is why he is gone? 

You don't address the point that really NO ONE thought that Turner was going to be anything. 

I do not believe that was the case, he proved himself to be a contact hitter and hit well enough to stick around a team that other than Murphy and Wright was fielding a semi-pro (not even minor league quality) lineup.  I thought the excuse was, we have Wright at 3B and Murphy at 2B no position to play him...

10 hours ago, deucebag said:

I do not believe that was the case, he proved himself to be a contact hitter and hit well enough to stick around a team that other than Murphy and Wright was fielding a semi-pro (not even minor league quality) lineup.  I thought the excuse was, we have Wright at 3B and Murphy at 2B no position to play him...

The excuse was and is, Turner never showed any of the prowess with the Mets that he has with the Dodgers. Not even close. And there was not one Met fan I have ever met, that was sad to see Turner leave and expected ho to be doing what he is currently.

He was a .270 hitter with no speed or power with the Mets. To his credit, he transformed his swing with the Dodgers.

8 games back of .500 at the break and they still aren't going to call Amed up. I don't understand this franchise at all.

On 7/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

8 games back of .500 at the break and they still aren't going to call Amed up. I don't understand this franchise at all.

This franchise will suck as long as the Wilsons own it. They may have some luck here and there, but the will never be a legit franchise with these owners, never.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:24 AM, NoBowles said:

This franchise will suck as long as the Wilsons own it. They may have some luck here and there, but the will never be a legit franchise with these owners, never.

F*ckin Wilsons

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

F*ckin Wilsons

Feel good?

Wrong thread 

This team will suck as long as the Jetsons own it.

cc: @NoBowles

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This team will suck as long as the Jetsons own it.

cc: @NoBowles

Hahahahahahaha you said Jetsons and not Wilpons, hahahaha you so dumb

On 7/4/2017 at 8:57 AM, Anthony Jet said:

I think its safe to say, that someone who is never healthy, isnt worth 30 millions dollars a season. 

T J Rivera is  maybe the only bright spot this year along with Bruce and Conforto

On 7/15/2017 at 8:53 PM, SenorGato said:

Wrong thread 

The war is over ; no need for a helmet . Unless , you are a Cubs fan !!! HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's less that I truly enjoy this and more am awed by the cruelty of karma. I bet Tyler's not the only pill the Mets' FO wants to call upon, amirite folks!?!?!? It's cool THO, you beat the Cubs that one time on the way to losing the WS to the Royals at home. Plus I think the Mets swept the Cubs last year when the Cubs won the WS. There will always be those moments.

Looking forward to Rosario!

Edit: OH yeah - and the LH prospect folks were ready to be high on had TJ surgery. Szapucki...