Would YOU fire Bowles?

Sarge4Tide

You're the owner.....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fire Jets Coach Todd Bowles after the Buffalo game?

• YES
    • Don't Know / Undecided
    • NO

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the way the defense, his specialty, has allowed receivers to be 10plus yards open all year I don't see any choice but to let him go.

The offense has played poorly but at least they have had a number of injuries especially to the line.  The defense hasn't had any more injuries than you would expect in a normal season and has still performed well below expectations.

4 minutes ago, Joejet said:

After watching the way the defense, his specialty, has allowed receivers to be 10plus yards open all year I don't see any choice but to let him go.

The offense has played poorly but at least they have had a number of injuries especially to the line.  The defense hasn't had any more injuries than you would expect in a normal season and has still performed well below expectations.

Exactly. We keep hearing about injuries. Meanwhile, the likes of Pryor, Richardson, Harris, Wilk, Williams have been healthy most of the season. Have a few guys gotten hurt? Sure, but teams lose guys every week. Very rarely do teams have a full squad every week. 

He came in as a defensive guru and the defense has regressed under his watch. That is unnacceptable when it is compounded with losing horribly, awful in game managemnt and in fighting between players. 

It is one thing if we played like the giants last year where we lost a bunch of really close games. This is just a team that is getting worse. I see no reason to bring him back.  I could see Woody bringing him back because he is a dope, but if it was up to me he would have been canned after 

Nice guy, and it's absolutely absurd the think Fitz may still have a job somewhere as Bowles is unemployed, but he did it to himself.

You could say it was just horrible luck that him getting his chance as coach coincided with $hitz.  Then once $hitz did ok last season, Bowles was almost forced into playing $hitz.  And that's partly true.  If he didn't start $hitz and we did poorly this season, he'd be blamed for not playing $hitz.

Ultimately he made his own bed though at one of 3 points:

1. A couple weeks into this season when it was obvious $hitz had somehow miraculously become an even worse QB over the offseason.  It was obvious week 1, but even if you allow for a slow leaning curve, no way $hitz should have been playing after Sept.
  2. Naming $hitz the leader of a multi-billion dollar team when he wasn't even signed during the offseason.  Again, I feel bad for saying it cause Bowles seems like a cool guy, but ya can't fix stupid.
  3. This whole $hitz thing could have been avoided in early October '15.  If he just went back to Geno once the jaw was healed, Bowles would still have a career.  Instead he phucked himself by hitching his career on the $hitz train.  Smh, fool.

you watch any game, browns included, and you see how far off the jets are, and that is 100% on the HC

the lack of energy, discipline, and preparation 3 weeks out of 4 is not a fluke or bad game, it is who you are.

ask any free agent if he would rather play for the browns or jets right now, and he would say browns

that's how far this team has fallen

I feel bad for the guys who go to the games and spend money, you deserve a hell of a lot more

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Nice guy, and it's absolutely absurd the think Fitz may still have a job somewhere as Bowles is unemployed, but he did it to himself.

You could say it was just horrible luck that him getting his chance as coach coincided with $hitz.  Then once $hitz did ok last season, Bowles was almost forced into playing $hitz.  And that's partly true.  If he didn't start $hitz and we did poorly this season, he'd be blamed for not playing $hitz.

Ultimately he made his own bed though at one of 3 points:

1. A couple weeks into this season when it was obvious $hitz had somehow miraculously become an even worse QB over the offseason.  It was obvious week 1, but even if you allow for a slow leaning curve, no way $hitz should have been playing after Sept.
  2. Naming $hitz the leader of a multi-billion dollar team when he wasn't even signed during the offseason.  Again, I feel bad for saying it cause Bowles seems like a cool guy, but ya can't fix stupid.
  3. This whole $hitz thing could have been avoided in early October '15.  If he just went back to Geno once the jaw was healed, Bowles would still have a career.  Instead he phucked himself by hitching his career on the $hitz train.  Smh, fool.

This team is abominable in virtually every aspect. Fitz should have had multiple TD passes yesterday but that is beside the point. The Chargers are no worse than the Jets yet Philip Rivers gets a pass for all the losses, even when it is to the pathetic Browns. It is clear to anyone who understands the game that the problems go far beyond the QB position and any QB would be severely handicapped with the roster of buffoons. The receivers have worse hands than some pop warner receivers. It is truly astonishing how putrid this team is on both sides of the ball. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. We keep hearing about injuries. Meanwhile, the likes of Pryor, Richardson, Harris, Wilk, Williams have been healthy most of the season.

Outside of the Decker injury we've been very healthy this year.  And Decker's injury was mitigated by Enunwa and Robby Anderson playing well.

Bowles is a disaster.  I hope Woody enjoys the next season when we go 0-16 with this dud.

I think it all depends on the Buffalo game.  If we lay another egg then I think Bowles is gone.  If we play respectably (which I think we will) then they bring him back.  He won 10 games a year ago and I think that will carry some weight.  If we stink next year then he'll be gone.  As for what I think they should do, I'm somewhat undecided.  I'm a believer in that adage about never being as bad as you look in losses or as good in wins.  Plus Bowles might grow from this as well.  If Harbaugh becomes available of course, I'd push hard to get him here.  But other than the marquee names I'm kind of indifferent about replacing him. 

I'd hate to do it on the principle that he's only been here 2 years, but I believe I would.

And it ain't the losses in particular that I'd base my decision on, it's a myriad of other things most notably poor game management and lack of player progression especially on defense.  Going 2-14 next year might be great for getting a high draft pick but I fear the team culture would be even worse than this year (although arguably if you cut/trade the malcontents that might help) further hindering any hope of some players taking the next step in their NFL lives in a toxic environment.

It really bothers me that here in week 16 of a 17 week NFL season our secondary looks absolutely lost, constantly out of position and/or blown coverages.  It really bothers me that this team often comes out and is flat for the first half, and it seems not many half time adjustments are made or if they are, they're certainly not effective.  While the OL was relatively weak to start and is now absolute trash, this team is not so devoid of talent that they should be getting blown out week after week.

Another thing that bothers me concerns our team structure; i.e., not sure I would want Woody making this call...it should be made by a 'football man' who ideally would be much more involved in the day to day football operations and have a better feel for the team, what ails it, and how much of the blame gets assigned to Bowles.

But when you know something is not working, or 'wrong', sticking with it is never in the best long term of your team...even if you brought Bowles back, the players would know he's on very thin ice and would probably mutiny at the first sign of despair.

So to end this...yes I would fire him; but at the same time I'd restructure the front office with a Team President (or whatever title you want to call it) who would answer to Woody; the GM and HC would answer to the new guy in charge.

I would really hate to do it, but this season is borderline unforgivable. Don't get me wrong, I said we were a 6 win team going into it, so I didn't expect greatness. Sucking was obvious to me. But the complete lack of effort is really unacceptable. Players look unmotivated and veterans are making egregious mental errors and it's been going on most of the year. Couple that with what I feel is poor game management I don't think I'd have much choice. Disappointing because I did really want to have a successful black HC here in NYC, but things are really bad.

IPersonally I would love to see us bring in Todd Haley. He made his mistakes in KC, he's a great offensive mind, and I just think he's that perfect candidate to get his second shot to do things right. And he's enough of a hardass to change the culture around here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Does Bowles deserve to be fired?

Of course.

Is it in the Jets' short term best interest to fire him?

Hard to imagine otherwise with the way things are looking right now.

Is it in the Jets' long term best interest to fire him now instead of next year?

No, because it likely buys the GM a minimum of 3 more years, and so far he's only slightly less incompetent than the HC. 

I wouldn't fire him but I also blame this problem on ownership.  Most NFL teams have a structure in place with a good team President and the coach reports to the GM and the GM reports above.  Woody Johnson basically hired Bowles before MacCagnan and they both report to Woody.  Woody basically demanded Revis and is concerned in signing players who help sell tickets (see the Brett Favre and Mangini situation). 

We can go ahead and fire Bowles or whoever else but who wants to come coach this team that is a legit coach?  With Woody as owner and Glatt as President we are going to continue to be a cesspool.  Bowles isn't the one who has not drafted any OL help which you need for a successful team.  He has his flaws don't get me wrong but he was also given an over priced, over the hill team to coach.

Archived