Would YOU fire Bowles?

Sarge4Tide

You're the owner.....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fire Jets Coach Todd Bowles after the Buffalo game?

• YES
    • Don't Know / Undecided
    • NO

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, peebag said:

Name one coach who had his players quit on him during a season and then had success with the same team afterwards.....

I'm admittedly not enough of a student of the NFL to name one off the top of my head. Plenty of coaches have had 4 win seasons or worse and went on to have successful careers though.

I'd only be in favor of firing Bowles if there were a proven winner that we could replace him with.  Otherwise, give Bowles and Maccagnan a third year. 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Name one coach who had his players quit on him during a season and then had success with the same team afterwards.....

I'll give you three Super Bowl winning coaches...

1) Bellichick - He was fired in Cleveland mainly because the team quit (Yes, they were moving and all - but they were awful down the stretch that year)

2) Pete Carol - He was fired from the Jets because ownership felt the team quit on him

3) Tom Coughlin - he had to have meetings with team leaders to resolve player issue as they had quit on him and his strong armed tactics.\

It happens - Any serious organization doesn't fire a coach after two season, especially one in which the coach won 10 games in his first.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Batting about .300 is a good in baseball. It stinks as an NFL GM.You don't need to convince me of the problems with Todd Bowles. I agree with you he's a trainwreck. The additional problem is Maccagnan isn't good himself. 

On the one hand, each is so bad he makes it hard for the other to look good. On the other hand, each can be rationalized as better than he looks because the other is so bad (that he's being held back by his counterpart).

They're both lousy, and they're both in way over their heads. 

At this point I think we can be the GM's of this football team and that's the stance I'm taking dammit

I've said all along I wouldn't fire him and I still stand by it now.

However I am very concerned about how the team has been blown out, the losses don't concern me (relatively speaking) it's the daylight between us and the opponent that has. Also the coaching decisions in situations.

Todd's 10-6 carry's weight, enough if it were up to me to go into Season 3.

Once through free agency and the draft I'd then be taking a look at what we have and setting up at least in my own mind if I was running the show just what I expect from the team next year. 7-9, 8-8 or better etc. IMO, anything less than a 3-4 game improvement would result in dismissal of Bowles.

I would add however, if Bowles is fired in a few days I wouldn't have issue with it either. The team has been poor and while I'm a patient guy I get there is also more than one way to skin a cat.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1) Bellichick - He was fired in Cleveland mainly because the team quit (Yes, they were moving and all - but they were awful down the stretch that year)

2) Pete Carol - He was fired from the Jets because ownership felt the team quit on him

3) Tom Coughlin - he had to have meetings with team leaders to resolve player issue as they had quit on him and his strong armed tactics.\

It happens - Any serious organization doesn't fire a coach after two season, especially one in which the coach won 10 games in his first.

The problem with Bowles is that he is a horrible coach and just like some of us see that this year we saw it last year as well, the players probably see it even more. When your coach is an Idiot and in over his head it becomes hard for players to perform and stay focused. That much is obvious with players out of position and constantly missing assignments. This is the worst coached Jets team I have ever seen and that's not an exaggeration this may be the worst coached team in the NFL right now. This team while it does have some holes is not as bad talent wise as what we are seeing on the field the team is just disorganized and poorly coached. If a coach like Harbaugh took over this team as it currently stands we would make the playoffs next year. That includes filling holes in the next draft and trading away locker room cancers for more draft picks

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

At this point I think we can be the GM's of this football team and that's the stance I'm taking dammit

At the same time, if Woody is just going to wait a year or two or whatever, then hire a new firm to hire both another HC and another GM - and still have each report separately to him, with each on equal ground - then it probably doesn't matter in the end. What a cluster****.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I said "same team" - Bellichick and Caroll don't qualify - Coughlin, maybe but that's a stretch.

The future don't bode well for Bowles.

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

At the same time, if Woody is just going to wait a year or two or whatever, then hire a new firm to hire both another HC and another GM - and still have each report separately to him, with each on equal ground - then it probably doesn't matter in the end. What a cluster****.

Sperm it would be very hard for me to watch another year of Todd Bowles I've watched some debacles over my long tenure as a Jets fan but nothing like this. I mean even when Kotite coached that team played hard and was constantly being ****ed over by the Refs it was horrible to watch. Joe Walton had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL his entire time as Jets coach and look what he did, every year we listened to the "Joe Must Go" chants and yet this still feels worse to me.

If anyone is going to get another year it would be Macc while I do agree with the mistakes you pointed out I still feel a lot of this teams problems stem from the coaching staff. They have lost this football team and I just can't blame that on the GM.

I mean how does a coach like Gailey say we are not going to work with Hackenberg this year ? How in the **** do you make a statement like that ? Its like simply throwing a year away. Then the fans want to see the kid play who barely got any practice snaps ?? I mean do people thrive on watching unprepared football players go down the toilet ? How could anyone expect anything from Hackenberg at this stage.

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Sperm it would be very hard for me to watch another year of Todd Bowles I've watched some debacles over my long tenure as a Jets fan but nothing like this. I mean even when Kotite coached that team played hard and was constantly being ****ed over by the Refs it was horrible to watch. Joe Walton had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL his entire time as Jets coach and look what he did, every year we listened to the "Joe Must Go" chants and yet this still feels worse to me.

If anyone is going to get another year it would be Macc while I do agree with the mistakes you pointed out I still feel a lot of this teams problems stem from the coaching staff. They have lost this football team and I just can't blame that on the GM.

I mean how does a coach like Gailey say we are not going to work with Hackenberg this year ? How in the **** do you make a statement like that ? Its like simply throwing a year away. Then the fans want to see the kid play who barely got any practice snaps ?? I mean do people thrive on watching unprepared football players go down the toilet ? How could anyone expect anything from Hackenberg at this stage.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is also on Maccagnan. No one else would have the authority to hire a Hackenberg or Hackenberg-Petty QBC for his inactive QBs. Not Gailey, and not even Bowles.

Those guys - no matter what you or I think of the job they've done - had a single job to do once the season began: prepare for upcoming opponents. They don't have the time it takes to devote to a raw-as-hell signal caller because he needs to be breastfed like an infant.

You're making it sound like no one has spent 5 minutes with Hackenberg and, despite my low opinion of the CS, even I don't believe that's true. Hackenberg needs someone to spend gobs of time with him on a daily basis, hour after hour for weeks/months. There isn't that kind of time to do that and work with the active players. It's Maccagnan's job, if he's going to draft these useless-as-rookie QBs, to hire someone else to work with these kids every day/week.

GM's fault. 

I think the problem is anytime this organization gets stuck with a total liability retard in either the front office(Idzik) or coaching staff(Schitty, Bowels) there's the 10% of fans who know everything and think they are doing a swell job in spite of everything indicating the opposite

51 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I think the problem is anytime this organization gets stuck with a total liability retard in either the front office(Idzik) or coaching staff(Schitty, Bowels) there's the 10% of fans who know everything and think they are doing a swell job in spite of everything indicating the opposite

You left out another name here, like a fan who knows everything and thinks he's doing a swell job in spite of everything indicating the opposite. 

Sorry, but you have to admit you walked right into that one. ;) 

19 hours ago, The Troll said:

He would already be fired if I owned the Jets. And the GM would join him Monday.

**** YOU, MAC. I'M GLAD I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO SPELL YOUR NAME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it two c's or two g's?? GOD DAMN YOU WOODY. - Me, every time I've had to write his name since they hired him.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I would fire Bowles.

No, I would not fire Macc.

I believe one has potential, and the other does not.

This is where I am at too. Mac has made plenty of questionable moves, but he seems to get the fact that he has to find a QB and that means whatever it takes. Now, if he can scout and find one is a different question, but Idzik did not even get that fact, he took Geno, then passed on 3 potential franchise guys.

27 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Here's a question for you, if you fire Bowles, does he get another coaching job? If you think the answer is no, why retain him? I'd be shocked if he would get another job after getting fired. Just like Rex won't get another HC gig.

if the Jets fired Maccagnan, he isn't likely to get another GM gig either. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes, I would fire Bowles.

No, I would not fire Macc.

I believe one has potential, and the other does not.

I side with this.

I also think its pretty interesting how Woody has not given a public nod for Bowles coming back. Silence is deadly

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Here's a question for you, if you fire Bowles, does he get another coaching job? If you think the answer is no, why retain him? I'd be shocked if he would get another job after getting fired. Just like Rex won't get another HC gig.

Nobody is hiring Bowles.  His only shot is Arians taking him back as DC

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

if the Jets fired Maccagnan, he isn't likely to get another GM gig either. 

I agree. That said, I personally have heard enough of Bowles comments regarding drafting and players to truly believe he has a big say in the 2 drafts and the personnel decisions that you can question Maccagnan on the most, and I do believe that Mccagnan understands the need for a QB and the do whatever it takes to get one mentality.

Bowles on the other hand has shown me that he is not HC material.

At the end of the day, I am not going to go crazy at any of the 4 outcomes with Bowles and Maccagnan this year. I think Woody totally Fk'd up the power structure, and both of these guys are likely doomed. If they want to fire both and start over, fine by me. If they want to keep them both one more year, I don't like Bowles, but I am fine with it.

56 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I agree. That said, I personally have heard enough of Bowles comments regarding drafting and players to truly believe he has a big say in the 2 drafts and the personnel decisions that you can question Maccagnan on the most, and I do believe that Mccagnan understands the need for a QB and the do whatever it takes to get one mentality.

Bowles on the other hand has shown me that he is not HC material.

At the end of the day, I am not going to go crazy at any of the 4 outcomes with Bowles and Maccagnan this year. I think Woody totally Fk'd up the power structure, and both of these guys are likely doomed. If they want to fire both and start over, fine by me. If they want to keep them both one more year, I don't like Bowles, but I am fine with it.

I agree with most of this, as I share your feelings regarding Bowles, but certainly don't agree with the bolded part. Not even a little.

A GM that does "whatever it takes" would have actually done "whatever it took" to get the best QB prospect he could get his hands on. So far, in 2 years, he's gone into seasons with low-level veterans Smith and Fitzpatrick, and has augmented them with only a pair of shot-in-the-dark prospects with lower draft grades, neither of whom looks like they're worth a damn so far.

He didn't make a serious play to move up 4 slots for Mariota, he didn't make a serious (or serious enough) play to move up for Goff or Wentz, and outright passed on the only other QB with a 1st round grade. The only QB that was out of reach was Winston, since it seems TB wasn't trading that pick no matter what. One might argue maybe the Goff pick as well, since they were starting 5 picks ahead of us, but the Rams didn't have the trade ammunition of our (unneeded) DL to move up either.

He also could have drafted 2 QBs this year instead of just the lone low-percentage gamble on redshirting Christian Hackenberg. Especially so, considering he was obviously willing to carry 4 QBs. There's recent precedent for taking 2 with Washington, and they're lucky they did. Had MM done that, then he could have taken his dream-upside pick in Hackenberg and also a just-in-case pick in Prescott to increase the odds of finding a keeper. As much as one may scoff at the idea, or suggest this is a plan borne of the benefit of hindsight (since I freely admit it is), such a plan still would have been far less costly than trading up for Goff or Wentz.

Any of the above is far more along the lines of a "whatever it takes" mentality, with regard to finding a QB, than merely drafting a pair of raw longshots. 

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree with most of this, as I share your feelings regarding Bowles, but certainly don't agree with the bolded part. Not even a little.

A GM that does "whatever it takes" would have actually done "whatever it took" to get the best QB prospect he could get his hands on. So far, in 2 years, he's gone into seasons with low-level veterans Smith and Fitzpatrick, and has augmented them with only a pair of shot-in-the-dark prospects with lower draft grades, neither of whom looks like they're worth a damn so far.

He didn't make a serious play to move up 4 slots for Mariota, he didn't make a serious (or serious enough) play to move up for Goff or Wentz, and outright passed on the only other QB with a 1st round grade. The only QB that was out of reach was Winston, since it seems TB wasn't trading that pick no matter what. One might argue maybe the Goff pick as well, since they were starting 5 picks ahead of us, but the Rams didn't have the trade ammunition of our (unneeded) DL to move up either.

He also could have drafted 2 QBs this year instead of just the lone low-percentage gamble on redshirting Christian Hackenberg. Especially so, considering he was obviously willing to carry 4 QBs. There's recent precedent for taking 2 with Washington, and they're lucky they did. Had MM done that, then he could have taken his dream-upside pick in Hackenberg and also a just-in-case pick in Prescott to increase the odds of finding a keeper. As much as one may scoff at the idea, or suggest this is a plan borne of the benefit of hindsight (since I freely admit it is), such a plan still would have been far less costly than trading up for Goff or Wentz.

Any of the above is far more along the lines of a "whatever it takes" mentality, with regard to finding a QB, than merely drafting a pair of raw longshots. 

On the surface I agree with your assessment. But the problem is we have no idea how much say Bowles has in the process, or even what Woody is directing the two of them to do, and we don't know how they are grading those guys either.

My gut feeling is that Bowles was pushing very hard for Lee, and he was convinced that he could win big with Fitzpatrick and a few tweaks on Defense. If the plan was to win now, its a lot harder to justify those type of trade ups to get those guys.

My wording was probably off when I said whatever it takes, I really meant he is going to keep trying to get one until he does. By all accounts he is going to either sign a QB like Glennon, or daft another one this year. So I have no reason to believe he is tied to his late 2nd round pick in Hackenberg,  but will give him a chance to develop.

The problem is that this organization is so fk'd up with the power structure that its really hard for us fans to asses what the hell is going on. And personally, I think Woody likes it that way. With Bowles, even if you take personnel out of the equation, he still sucks, AND, he got apparently all his guys. This is the biggest reason I wanted them to re-sign Fitzpatrick, I wanted to give Bowles enough rope to let him hang himself with, and he did.

But, if Bowles has as much say as I think he did, and Woody was directing to win now, like I think he was, it makes Maccagnans past two offseason a little more excusable  IMO. But I readily admit I have no f'ng clue.

Archived