Did Jets botch Mo Wilkerson's ankle rehab? He says there was 'no plan'

Gas2No99

33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Plan at the BEGINNING of the season? Shouldn't the plan have been devised right after surgery? Then monitored

Oh wait, after surgery, Mo did not sign his tag, so he was not legally a part of the Jets. And he didn't sign until right at camp. 

Sounds like Mo was off his plan a little, and should have been more in charge of himself. If you are going to play the big boy, and take control of your career, take control of every part of it. If you feel there is no plan for you, or you don't like the plan, communicate that right away, not after you have performed badly.

Whole thing looks bad on his part

Another spoiled athlete that didn't get his hand held. Hey Mo, you weren't a Jet! You held out. Only 1 person is responsible & that's Mo himself, his agent should have been reminding him to stay in shape too instead of lifting White Castles. Some of these players comments are really out of hand, wow.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Be that as it may, the guy still said he was 100% when angling for a contract... and now he's retrospectively talking about how the Jets didn't have a plan, and he admittedly didn't commit to rehabbing his ankle either. So, now he's both a dog and a liar.

I don't doubt that he came into camp behind because of his injury and needed to work his way back into shape.  But his poor play isn't only because of his injury.  It's because he's a dog, too.

This whole "media tour" by Wilkerson in the past couple of weeks is transparent, embarrassing and
he needs to stop.  He should just own up to the fact that he sucked this year and basically caught
Albert Haynesworth disease.  If he was hurt he should've sat out, stop blaming the training staff,
the coaches or anyone else 

28 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I don't doubt that he came into camp behind because of his injury and needed to work his way back into shape.  But his poor play isn't only because of his injury.  It's because he's a dog, too.

Yea, nobody is arguing that, Mehta. Relax.

I'm just pointing out that at the time he needed the contract, he was 100%, but now after a year of dogging it, he's blaming the injury and the team for not having a "plan". 

15 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Not saying he's not legit, he very well may be, but he got his Master's in physical education. A bullsh*t degree, essentially, and not at all applicable to rehabbing professional sports players.

Most professional teams' athletic trainers are actually physical therapists with their doctorates from PT school (which is comparable to med school in terms of how hard it is to get in). I know because that's the path I was originally wanting to go down (but quickly switched to Computer Science).

Simply as much as I dislike this regime and team right now, find it very hard to believe an NFL franchise would be as derelict as Wilkerson now claims. He's claiming the Jets' licensed professional PT staff didn't do their job. More likely either Wilkerson didn't follow the program or wasn't honest with the staff about his progress or lack thereof. Big difference from being back on the field and being 100%. While they can help you get on the field, the 100% is really up to the patient. 

17 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

"It was my first (major) injury," he said. "There should've been (a plan), but there wasn't. There's one in place now. That's all that matters. It's in the past. It's not like you can go back and change it."

Teams cannot make 'plans' with injured unsigned free agents, so it was on Wilkerson and his surgeon and his rehab trainer to devise a 'plan' for his rehabilitation, not the Jets. 

32 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Teams cannot make 'plans' with injured unsigned free agents, so it was on Wilkerson and his surgeon and his rehab trainer to devise a 'plan' for his rehabilitation, not the Jets. 

VERY Good and valid point. Jets weren't at an impasse so they could not contact, let alone dictate a rehab plan for, him until AFTER he was signed. As much as many here disagree b/c of the price, I'd give Mo a pass this year, as I stated WAAAAAY back in Oct., coming back from a broken leg in LESS than a year for a 300 lbs. man will take time and at least a season for him to "trust" his body at FULL SPEED. 

The fact that Mo got that award based on voting from teammates and training staff says something. I think with the Mo situation, there is more to it than he simply dogged. Not sure what that is, but I think Mo has been a great Jet for his entire career and then all of sudden this year, something was up. Just doesn't fit.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

This whole "media tour" by Wilkerson in the past couple of weeks is transparent, embarrassing and
he needs to stop.  He should just own up to the fact that he sucked this year and basically caught
Albert Haynesworth disease.  If he was hurt he should've sat out, stop blaming the training staff,
the coaches or anyone else 

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Training staff might demand a do over  

Ccdub3mZ_normal.jpg NYJ Communications (@NYJetsPR)
Congrats to @mowilkerson who was named by the training staff & his teammates as the @nyjets Ed Block Courage Award winner. pic.twitter.com/S1iWC5Vy8H

ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he spoke to Mo Wilkerson about his criticisms of the training staff. He declined to elaborate. Bowles didn't sound pleased that Wilkerson was so open when discussing his surgically repaired ankle.

I recall Mo posting instagram videos of himself working on rehabbing his leg during the off season , like the weightless treadmill,  trying to prove he'd be ready in time for the season. Doesn't sound like the team's fault and does found like very sour grapes 

Remember when Parcells took over the Jets and at his first press conference he displayed the binders of all the injury reports?  The team he took over, like the current one, was riddled with injuries.

It would appear to me that the Jets need a better S&C/Training Staff.   Something is wrong here.  Its a general symptom of an underachieving organization.

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Remember when Parcells took over the Jets and at his first press conference he displayed the binders of all the injury reports?  The team he took over, like the current one, was riddled with injuries.

It would appear to me that the Jets need a better S&C/Training Staff.   Something is wrong here.  Its a general symptom of an underachieving organization.

It seems like the whole team went to IR. I thought there was a limit to how many could be put there 

14 hours ago, SBBound said:

The fact that Mo got that award based on voting from teammates and training staff says something. I think with the Mo situation, there is more to it than he simply dogged. Not sure what that is, but I think Mo has been a great Jet for his entire career and then all of sudden this year, something was up. Just doesn't fit.

He signed a moster contract-with huge guarantees.  That's what was up.

Todd Bowles talks with Mo Wilkerson about discussing injuries

• Colin Stephenson, Special to ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Todd Bowles didn't want to talk about it Friday but clearly wasn't happy with defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson's assertion Thursday that the Jets didn't have a plan to deal with his rehab from a broken leg last offseason, and Bowles said he spoke to Wilkerson about keeping information about injuries "in-house."

"I've talked to Mo -- we handle every injury in-house," Bowles said. "We report injuries; we don't go into discussion about them. And that's all I have to say about that."

In talking to reporters Thursday about his disappointing season, Wilkerson intimated the broken right lower leg that he suffered in the final game of the 2015 season hampered him all season, and suggested perhaps he returned to full-time action too soon. He was limited in the offseason and the preseason, but played in the season opener and played 96 percent of the defensive snaps in the first six games.

"We just didn't have a game plan as far as myself and the training staff," Wilkerson said. "We didn't have a game plan going into the season. We didn't get one until maybe halfway through the season. I'm happy that we did find a plan. It's working, and we're going to continue to do that throughout the offseason."

Bowles said he did not regret playing Wilkerson so much early in the season (he played 371 of the 386 defensive snaps in the first six games before missing the seventh game because of pain in his ankle), and when asked whether he thought Wilkerson had thrown the training staff under the bus with his comments responded simply, "We handled it internally. It’s fine."

Wilkerson was not in the locker room later Friday when reporters were allowed in.

Bowles was asked if Wilkerson's comments had caught him by surprise and said nothing surprises him. Then, when asked if the heavy workload early on might have caused Wilkerson to be reinjured, he pointed out the ever-present risk of injury in football.

"You play football, you've got a chance to get hurt," Bowles said. "When you come back from injury, you've got a chance to get re-injured. It's all part of it. If he stays healthy, he's fine. He got re-injured."

On Friday, the Jets announced their team award winners and Wilkerson was named the Ed Block Courage Award winner, mostly because he was able to come back from his broken leg and play in every game but one so far.

These players talk too much...I get that is the way of the world nowadays, social media etc...But it seems Bowles has had to play babysitter all season for a handful of players i.e. Sheldon, Mo, BMarshall, Revis...And the media knows these guys will screw-up when speaking so they go to them every chance they get.

And why is it the crap that has happened this season always seems to follow BMarshall the 2nd/3rd seasons wherever BMarshall has been?

On 12/29/2016 at 10:20 PM, Gas2No99 said:

Did Jets botch Mo Wilkerson's ankle rehab? He says there was 'no plan'

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Resident HackJetsHater
    ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- This one is hard to figure.

Reflecting on his disappointing season, New York Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson questioned the handling of his surgically repaired ankle, saying there was "no game plan" at the start of the season. That, he believes, may have hampered his recovery.

"We just didn't have a game plan as far as myself and the training staff," Wilkerson said Thursday. "We didn't have a game plan going into the season. We didn't get one until maybe halfway through the season. I'm happy that we did find a plan. It's working, and we're going to continue to do that throughout the offseason."

Wilkerson said he wasn't putting all the blame on the training staff. He said it was "mutual." Head trainer John Mellody is well-respected in league circles, so it's hard to believe he didn't have a plan. Maybe it was just the wrong plan.

Let's examine the facts.

Wilkerson underwent surgery last January to repair a fractured right fibula (lower leg). He rehabbed on his own during the offseason (he was unsigned) and sat out part of training camp, but he was in the opening-day lineup. In the first six games, he played 96 percent of the defensive snaps (371 of 386) -- one of the highest playing-time percentages of any defensive lineman in the NFL. He missed the seventh game because of ankle pain. At that point, his playing time was scaled back.

Over the first six weeks, coach Todd Bowles downplayed Wilkerson's condition, claiming it wasn't a factor in his performance. Bowles said repeatedly that Wilkerson wasn't being overworked. Evidently, Wilkerson believes otherwise.

"I guess I thought I was good to go," he said, alluding to the start of the season. "Maybe I just needed more time, more rehab."

The Jets, who signed Wilkerson to a five-year, $86 million contract in July, did a poor job of protecting their investment. At the same time, Wilkerson must take some responsibility, too. He should've been more communicative with the training staff. Maybe he kept quiet because he felt pressure to play because of the huge contract.

"It was my first (major) injury," he said. "There should've been (a plan), but there wasn't. There's one in place now. That's all that matters. It's in the past. It's not like you can go back and change it."

Wilkerson, who has only 3.5 sacks in 14 games after making the Pro Bowl last season, acknowledged his ankle didn't respond as well as he had hoped at the start of the season. He's confident he'll be 100 percent by next training camp. His surgeon told him it would take a year "to get back to being the player that I am."

Along the way, Wilkerson has received criticism for his play. He brought some of it on himself by missing a team meeting, resulting in a one-quarter benching.

"At the end of the way, people know who I am," he said. "People are always going to criticize me, regardless. I'm not concerned about that. I know the player I am and capable of being. People in the building know who I am and what I can do. [It] really doesn't matter what other people say or feel about me."

If Wilkerson would stfu and tackle someone that would be fantastic. Shocking to hear him claim to need to be on IR at the end of a bust season after signing a major deal.  Dude didn't exactly take the honors route at Linden

Just another mishandled detail or blown assignment under Bowles' watch. 

Irresponsibility is the fruit of poor leadership. Jets have a no-plan draggletail dumbass HC that's 4-11 looking at 4-12.

It's hard to blame a player when a professional staff is paid to oversee and monitor all team-related matters.

7 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Just another mishandled detail or blown assignment under Bowles' watch. 

Irresponsibility is the fruit of poor leadership. Jets have a no-plan draggletail dumbass HC that's 4-11 looking at 4-12.

It's hard to blame a player when a professional staff is paid to oversee and monitor all team-related matters.

Pretty sure the training staff isn't under Bowles and shouldn't be. 

16 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Nothing excuses Bowles from monitoring the situation one way or another.

Coach can only go by what the Med/training staff tells him. 

Mo is just making excuses for his lazy ass performance. All we heard from him this offseason was how he was on or ahead of schedule. Then he signs his contract, plays bad, misses meetings and now he says there wasn't a plan?!?!  

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Coach can only go by what the Med/training staff tells him. 

Aren't they part of "professional staff'? Defensive guru HC can also communicate with his $86M star DE directly.

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mo is just making excuses for his lazy ass performance. All we heard from him this offseason was how he was on or ahead of schedule. Then he signs his contract, plays bad, misses meetings and now he says there wasn't a plan?!?!  

Like I said, irresponsibility is the fruit of poor leadership. It starts at the top.

Maybe Mo's claim is true - he wasn't fully healed and there wasn't a sure plan until the injury flared up again Week 7.

You don't trust Mo, I don't trust Bowles. Seems like a pattern for Bowles to say things that cover his ass. 

Archived