Todd Bowles likely back, but several big-name Jets will receive pink slips

Gas2No99

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The last time they played on New Year's Day, the New York Jets went public with their infighting. It was Jan. 1, 2012, the day of the infamous Santonio Holmes-Wayne Hunter altercation. Ah, such memories.

Would anybody be surprised if they ring in the New Year on Sunday with a Brandon Marshall-Sheldon Richardson sideline spat? It would be an unfortunate, yet fitting way to end a rotten season marked by locker room turmoil.

It will be a grim scene at MetLife Stadium, where the Jets (4-11) have won only once in seven tries. The twice-benched Ryan Fitzpatrick, in his final game as a Jet, will be leading an injury-riddled offense that couldn't find the end zone with the Waze app. The Buffalo Bills (7-8) fired coach Rex Ryan and benched quarterback Tyrod Taylor because they didn't want to be on the hook for his contract in the event of an injury, so we know how they're approaching the game.

Welcome to the dark side of the NFL's regular season.

"It's tough," Fitzpatrick said. "They're out of the playoffs, we're out of the playoffs. We've been out of the playoffs for a while. We'll have some young guys, I think, maybe get some experience at receiver or running back or wherever it is in line. I think it's just another opportunity to go out there for all of us to focus on playing the game we love and trying to have fun with it."

Five thoughts:

1. Waiting on Woody: The biggest question surrounding the team is the future of the Todd Bowles-Mike Maccagnan tandem -- and it's really not a huge mystery. Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, owner Woody Johnson is expected to retain his coach and general manager, giving them a mulligan for 2016. Johnson has been leaning this way for weeks, according to people close to him. It won't be a popular decision, but it's the right decision. It has been an awful year, but it would be a knee-jerk reaction to fire them after only two years. Could a blowout loss change his mind? Johnson has been known to flip-flop. Ask Eric Mangini.

2. Say goodbye: There will be a massive -- repeat, massive -- roster overhaul in the offseason, so this could mark the final game in a Jets uniform for many household names. Players on the bubble include Marshall, Richardson, Darrelle RevisDavid Harris and Calvin Pryor. Marshall, Harris and Revis are potential cap casualties, with Richardson and Pryor candidates for the trading block. Revis and Harris are future members of the Ring of Honor. Frankly, I think Harris will stick, but Revis is a likely goner. Maybe he can make his first interception of the season in his final game.

3. A cameo for Hack? Fans will see Christian Hackenbergin a uniform for the first time since the preseason. With Bryce Petty (shoulder) on injured reserve, Hackenberg will be the No. 2 quarterback, one of the 46 active players for the game. Much to the chagrin of the fan base, Bowles isn't planning to play the rookie, except for maybe late mop-up duty. That means there's a good chance he'll get significant action, considering nothing this year has gone according to plan.

4. Draft implications: No matter what happens, the Jets will draft fourth, fifth or sixth. They're currently in the No. 6 spot, which is where they'd stay with a win or a Chargers loss. To get to No. 4, they'd have to lose and the Jaguars, Bears and Rams would have to win, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

5. Hard-to-believe stats: If the Jets don't make an interception or recover a fumble, they will finish with only 11 takeaways, tying an NFL record for the fewest in a season. The Bills have committed a league-low nine turnovers. Still, if the Jets can't intercept EJ Manuel, shame on them. ... The only times they finished 1-7 or worse at home were 1996 (0-8) and 1989 (1-7). ... The Jets have scored six or fewer points in a league-high four games.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Jets.

Woody needs to get Macc some FO help. Roster management issues caused quite a bit of turbulence. Is this a 3/4 or a 4/3 Front 7? A FB is actually needed to help with protecting the young QB's. Macc's bumbling of the roster makes the team uncoachable as the parts cannot fit properly.

Macc also needs to get some good, immediate hits in the draft. No more 2nd round project QB's when there are glaring holes throughout. If the BPA is not a fit trade out of that position or trade the player that the BPA replaces. This guy needs to get real for 2017. 

No more stupid, last minute QB signings. Get that position ready before OTA's. Manage the cap. Sign the players you want to keep early.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Woody.

Fixed.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Same Old God Damn Jets.

More of your short sightedness on display. It is one thing to be frustrated. It is another thing to place an imbalanced roster on the HC. Macc screwed up the front 7. He did not adress the speed rusher issue. He did not adress speed in the secondary. 

Get real

This is a terrible ill conceived coaching staff. If Woody retains this group with no changes within the staff we will be on the clock in 2018 with the number 1 pick overall. Not really a bad thing considering the QBs coming out in that draft. 

We should be primed to take over the division in 2020 with the retirement of Brady & Belichick. Let's do this right & go out there next year and play like a bunch of horses asses.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is a terrible ill conceived coaching staff. If Woody retains this group with no changes within the staff we will be on the clock in 2018 with the number 1 pick overall. Not really a bad thing considering the QBs coming out in that draft. 

We should be primed to take over the division in 2020 with the retirement of Brady & Belichick. Let's do this right & go out there next year and play like a bunch of horses asses.

I don't follow College Football.  Are there any Andrew Lucks, etc in the 2018 draft?  I'm starting to get exciting about the prospect of a Todd Bowles-led disaster next season.

14 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

This is good.  It's like Kotite's 3-13 season.  He was brought back for the 1-15 year and that led to major culture changing (Parcells, etc) initiatives afterwards.  Be patient my friends- this dolt will lead us to the promised land.

Excellent post. The Jets are basically the Cleveland Browns with a few extra wins.

I hope and pray for an epic disaster in 2017. We need a Top 3 pick + luck (a year where there are excellent QB draft prospects). Maybe thats 2018 Draft?

A Top Pick and Cap Space will make this an attractive job for a talented coach.

9 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

More of your short sightedness on display. It is one thing to be frustrated. It is another thing to place an imbalanced roster on the HC. Macc screwed up the front 7. He did not adress the speed rusher issue. He did not adress speed in the secondary. 

Get real

You want Geno back and resigned, and you want Bowles back.

Hmmmm, I'd say more, but why bother.

I am no college scout like the majority of the members here, but everything I keep reading is that: This years QB crop sucks. Next years will be better. How much is anyone's guess since it depends on the development of some of these younger college QBs

The UCLA and USC (gulp) QBs are ones to watch closely next year.

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The key here is the Jets need to be bad next year and probably the year after that to get this straightened out. Let Bowles command the tank.

the other key here is that mac is trying to make up for past mistakes. the drafts under rex/tanny and rex/idzik were disasters.  taking over a team after coming off a 4-12, 8-8, and 4-12 seasons you'd think the team would have a lot of good young talent.  that not the case since many of those drafted players were busts and tanny traded draft picks for players.  so maybe it will take two seasons of bottom dwelling to get the necessary players.  but that's kind of risky.  it would be one thing if the qb was settled.

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Same Old God Damn Jets.

This is the biggest conviction of Bowles,  he lost the team!  Zero discipline!  Zero effort!  Zero respect!

Time to move on. 

"1. Waiting on Woody: The biggest question surrounding the team is the future of the Todd Bowles-Mike Maccagnan tandem -- and it's really not a huge mystery. Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, owner Woody Johnson is expected to retain his coach and general manager, giving them a mulligan for 2016."

Says who?  I say Bowles is fired on Balck Monday.  If not, the Jets as a team and organization go into another lost season.  Or, "Black 2017".

As usual the sports media will take both sides of the debate with sh*tty articles and beat it to death. Nobody knows what's going on beyond Florham Park.

Although I do have to say Bowles seat is scorching hot. If he returns either Woody couldn't bring in a better candidate or Bowles has some great voodoo. Unlike Rex the team isn't even pulling for him in meaningless games to try to save his job. They are playing worse and worse. They want him out.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Same Old God Damn Jets.

When you have an owner as clueless as Woody Johnson that question is moot. Most Jets fans know that giving Bowles one more year won't bring improvement, but is a waste of a year where there could be improvement. Bowles made several mistakes in hiring his CS and that will probably be corrected, but only if Bowles realizes that he made a mistake which is not a sure thing. Bowles says to the media repeatedly that there is 'no answer' to why the team continuously misses assignments, but there is and the obvious answer is Bowles himself. He allows mental mistakes by the bushel and trots the same culprits out there game in and game out and guess what? They do it all over again. To me that is reason enough to be done with him after two years. Year one he got lucky because several players on offense had career years. Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Chris Ivory all had the best years of their careers so it is no wonder the Jets won 10 games. I think Rich Kotite could have gotten that team to at least 8-8, so Bowles doesn't deserve all that much praise for it. Not as much as he deserves blame for this season.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

You want Geno back and resigned, and you want Bowles back.

Hmmmm, I'd say more, but why bother.

You wanted Futz. The over payed, under performing, weak armed, water pistol QB. We could have had that same performance from Geno for less money. Furthermore, we would know or not if he is a decent QB for the short term and the other QB's would have been provided reps during this season.

Your short sighted, just point to this guy or that guy approach is shallow. It really showed with Futz and again it is glaring with TB. You cannot deny any of the things I have stated about Geno Smith, TB or Macc. You have yet to defend your position here, again. 

Any coach would have issues with the y this team was poorly configured. Woody knows this and so does Macc. 

Macc has added 3 young LB'ers and we still do not have a specific answer as a speed rusher rom the edge. I see posters here saying he should pick a coach!!! For real? Can he be trusted to do so when he has yet to pick a QB or and a legit edge rusher? He also signed that stupid contract to a QB nobody wanted. The Jets got fleeced by Futz. 

TB makes errors? Yes. He held on to Futz too long. Could be due to the contract size. I would have benched or cut him after KC.

Macc needs more help thanTB does. His mistakes costs this team 2016. Open your eyes bro. Just what am I stating that is questionable? Also please note; Smith is the best QB on the team. He is a FA. If he walks the Jets will have lost another 2nd round pick who they never developed. Adding insult to injury, they will be left with worse players at that position and have to over pay for someone else's crappy QB.

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Smith is the best QB on the team. He is a FA. If he walks the Jets will have lost another 2nd round pick who they never developed. Adding insult to injury, they will be left with worse players at that position and have to over pay for someone else's crappy QB.

damn, he laid it quite bare with this one...

Excellent post. The Jets are basically the Cleveland Browns with a few extra wins.
I hope and pray for an epic disaster in 2017. We need a Top 3 pick + luck (a year where there are excellent QB draft prospects). Maybe thats 2018 Draft?
A Top Pick and Cap Space will make this an attractive job for a talented coach.

Another solid SOJF chimes in "hoping and praying for an epic disaster"

Pathetic

With "fans" like this the Jets don't need enemy fans

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

You wanted Futz. The over payed, under performing, weak armed, water pistol QB. We could have had that same performance from Geno for less money. Furthermore, we would know or not if he is a decent QB for the short term and the other QB's would have been provided reps during this season.

Your short sighted, just point to this guy or that guy approach is shallow. It really showed with Futz and again it is glaring with TB. You cannot deny any of the things I have stated about Geno Smith, TB or Macc. You have yet to defend your position here, again. 

Any coach would have issues with the y this team was poorly configured. Woody knows this and so does Macc. 

Macc has added 3 young LB'ers and we still do not have a specific answer as a speed rusher rom the edge. I see posters here saying he should pick a coach!!! For real? Can he be trusted to do so when he has yet to pick a QB or and a legit edge rusher? He also signed that stupid contract to a QB nobody wanted. The Jets got fleeced by Futz. 

TB makes errors? Yes. He held on to Futz too long. Could be due to the contract size. I would have benched or cut him after KC.

Macc needs more help thanTB does. His mistakes costs this team 2016. Open your eyes bro. Just what am I stating that is questionable? Also please note; Smith is the best QB on the team. He is a FA. If he walks the Jets will have lost another 2nd round pick who they never developed. Adding insult to injury, they will be left with worse players at that position and have to over pay for someone else's crappy QB.

So if I read what you're saying correctly, you are blaming Mac. for not developing/playing Geno as the starter?

That is twisting things a bit. The signing of Futz to a ridiculous amount of money forced the hand of TB no matter whom else was here. The signing made some sort of sense before he missed the entire OTA/TC period. Still even then he was asking for too much for the Jets to pay.

The Jets clearly would have been better off going with Smith rather than signing Futz. I said that when they signed him and this season proved my point.

How can anyone honestly state that Macc should get to pick a coach? Based on what?

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is twisting things a bit. The signing of Futz to a ridiculous amount of money forced the hand of TB no matter whom else was here. The signing made some sort of sense before he missed the entire OTA/TC period. Still even then he was asking for too much for the Jets to pay.

The Jets clearly would have been better off going with Smith rather than signing Futz. I said that when they signed him and this season proved my point.

How can anyone honestly state that Macc should get to pick a coach? Based on what?

Based on NFL etiquette

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Based on NFL etiquette

That is not how you turn a moribund franchise into a winner. Macc cannot be trusted to name a coach based on his own record thus far. The big named coaches being tossed around here would diminish his role as GM

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The last time they played on New Year's Day, the New York Jets went public with their infighting. It was Jan. 1, 2012, the day of the infamous Santonio Holmes-Wayne Hunter altercation. Ah, such memories.

Would anybody be surprised if they ring in the New Year on Sunday with a Brandon Marshall-Sheldon Richardson sideline spat? It would be an unfortunate, yet fitting way to end a rotten season marked by locker room turmoil.

It will be a grim scene at MetLife Stadium, where the Jets (4-11) have won only once in seven tries. The twice-benched Ryan Fitzpatrick, in his final game as a Jet, will be leading an injury-riddled offense that couldn't find the end zone with the Waze app. The Buffalo Bills (7-8) fired coach Rex Ryan and benched quarterback Tyrod Taylor because they didn't want to be on the hook for his contract in the event of an injury, so we know how they're approaching the game.

Welcome to the dark side of the NFL's regular season.

"It's tough," Fitzpatrick said. "They're out of the playoffs, we're out of the playoffs. We've been out of the playoffs for a while. We'll have some young guys, I think, maybe get some experience at receiver or running back or wherever it is in line. I think it's just another opportunity to go out there for all of us to focus on playing the game we love and trying to have fun with it."

Five thoughts:

1. Waiting on Woody: The biggest question surrounding the team is the future of the Todd Bowles-Mike Maccagnan tandem -- and it's really not a huge mystery. Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, owner Woody Johnson is expected to retain his coach and general manager, giving them a mulligan for 2016. Johnson has been leaning this way for weeks, according to people close to him. It won't be a popular decision, but it's the right decision. It has been an awful year, but it would be a knee-jerk reaction to fire them after only two years. Could a blowout loss change his mind? Johnson has been known to flip-flop. Ask Eric Mangini.

2. Say goodbye: There will be a massive -- repeat, massive -- roster overhaul in the offseason, so this could mark the final game in a Jets uniform for many household names. Players on the bubble include Marshall, Richardson, Darrelle RevisDavid Harris and Calvin Pryor. Marshall, Harris and Revis are potential cap casualties, with Richardson and Pryor candidates for the trading block. Revis and Harris are future members of the Ring of Honor. Frankly, I think Harris will stick, but Revis is a likely goner. Maybe he can make his first interception of the season in his final game.

3. A cameo for Hack? Fans will see Christian Hackenbergin a uniform for the first time since the preseason. With Bryce Petty (shoulder) on injured reserve, Hackenberg will be the No. 2 quarterback, one of the 46 active players for the game. Much to the chagrin of the fan base, Bowles isn't planning to play the rookie, except for maybe late mop-up duty. That means there's a good chance he'll get significant action, considering nothing this year has gone according to plan.

4. Draft implications: No matter what happens, the Jets will draft fourth, fifth or sixth. They're currently in the No. 6 spot, which is where they'd stay with a win or a Chargers loss. To get to No. 4, they'd have to lose and the Jaguars, Bears and Rams would have to win, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

5. Hard-to-believe stats: If the Jets don't make an interception or recover a fumble, they will finish with only 11 takeaways, tying an NFL record for the fewest in a season. The Bills have committed a league-low nine turnovers. Still, if the Jets can't intercept EJ Manuel, shame on them. ... The only times they finished 1-7 or worse at home were 1996 (0-8) and 1989 (1-7). ... The Jets have scored six or fewer points in a league-high four games.

Red: FML seriously? Altercations? Horrible at home? Fitz taking reps from Hack and Petty all season long, talking about young guys getting a chance? Mulligans for the leadership? Not giving Hack reps? One of the worst seasons I've ever seen and we're pretty much stuck picking 6th? NFL record for fewest take-aways from a team that has gone all-in on defense every off-season for over 10 years?

Blue: Good. Purge this ******* abomination... it still reeks of Rex Ryan, and Bowles is too meek a man to exorcise those demons.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Red: FML seriously? Altercations? Horrible at home? Fitz taking reps from Hack and Petty all season long, talking about young guys getting a chance? Mulligans for the leadership? Not giving Hack reps? One of the worst seasons I've ever seen and we're pretty much stuck picking 6th? NFL record for fewest take-aways from a team that has gone all-in on defense every off-season for over 10 years?

Blue: Good. Purge this ******* abomination... it still reeks of Rex Ryan, and Bowles is too meek a man to exorcise those demons.

Uh no. First round pick doesnt mean going all in

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Uh no. First round pick doesnt mean going all in

Look at the quantity of 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders invested in defense. Look at the contracts handed out to resigning our own FA and signing new FA. Look at the background of the coaches.

You, as usual, don't know what you're talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not his job . It's his job to try his best to coach the team his GM assembled, hopefully with his input .  When this is all done tomorrow, some suggestions will be made  by both men, and we will see the outcome .  Unless woody fires everyone .

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Look at the quantity of 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders invested in defense. Look at the contracts handed out to resigning our own FA and signing new FA. Look at the background of the coaches.

You, as usual, don't know what you're talking about. 

Defense does not equal takeaways though. Takeaways are luck based as well

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's not his job . It's his job to try his best to coach the team his GM assembled, hopefully with his input .  When this is all done tomorrow, some suggestions will be made  by both men, and we will see the outcome .  Unless woody fires everyone .

It's absolutely the HC's job to purge the previous regimes bad culture. I don't know how anyone could not understand that, and I'm not going to argue over it. 

You're being naive.

Archived