TE dept. : Austin Seferian-Jenkins says he's Jets' answer at tight end: 'No doubt in my mind' ~ ~ ~

kelly

I'm not sure Howard even makes it to #6. 
He's a matchup nightmare and reportedly impressed NFL people with his week at the Sr Bowl (on and off the field) 

I think he will probably go in the middle of the first round but crazy things can happen. I'm just happy he doesn't end up in the patriots roster because you know they would love to pair him with gronk.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel, Mel, Mel, Mel, Mel.

In his updated mock draft, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. predicts the New York Jets will pick Alabama's O.J. Howard at No. 6 overall. He's a very good tight end, but it's highly unusual to take one that high. For historical context, consider:

The last tight end to go as high as No. 6 was Vernon Davis in 2006. (A side note: Then-coach Eric Mangini once told me they strongly considered Davis with the fourth pick, opting instead for left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson).It would be quite a rags-to-riches story if the Jets were to select Howard. They ignored the tight-end position the last two years, fielding a patchwork group that produced only 26 catches in 2015 and 2016 -- 71 fewer than the next-closest team.

Howard would be a tremendous upgrade, and we can't forget that new offensive coordinator John Morton -- unlike his predecessor -- is planning to integrate the tight end into his West Coast-style passing offense.But the Jets are a team with many needs, and tight end would be a luxury pick at No. 6. They need a cornerback. A safety. An edge rusher. And, of course, a quarterback.

The tight end can wait.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67694/mel-kiper-mocks-o-j-howard-to-jets-but-tight-end-is-a-luxury-pick

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan told the media at the NFL Combine that his team is in the market for a tight end this offseason. Luckily, this year's draft has debatably the most depth at the position in NFL history.

NFL Network's Charles Davis told Eric Allen that he thinks the tight end crop gets deeper every year "because we’ve taken a lot of wide receivers who are the bigger guys and told them to hit the weight room a little bit more so we can use them as a flex tight end. You have to convince them nowadays. The move to tight end used to be like a threat to a wide receiver. They’d say, 'Oh, God, no, I’ll lose weight, I promise,’ because that meant going inside and spend a lot of time blocking.

“Nowadays, they can put you in the flex and make you a move tight end. You can still be a wide receiver, but you’re going to work the inside parts of the field more than the outside.”

ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr., in their latest mock drafts, both project Alabama’s O.J. Howard will be selected in the top 10 —by the Jaguars at No. 4 (McShay) or by the Jets at No. 6 (Kiper). The 6’6”, 251-pound Howard was very productive for the Crimson Tide, registering 114 catches for 1,726 yards and seven touchdowns. At the Combine, he solidified his status at the top TE prospect, recording a blazing 4.51 40-yard dash (the same time as LSU RB Leonard Fournette) and displaying his catching ability.

Only 2 TEs selected in 1st rd of past 6 drafts. Eric Ebron = most recent top10 pick ('14). V Davis (06) + Winslow (04) were both 6th overall

• While Howard’s stats are impressive and his talent is undeniable, there’s a plethora of talent in the later rounds of April’s draft such as Evan Engram of Ole Miss, who Davis said "blew the top off the Combine." Another guy to keep an eye on is Michigan’s Jake Butt, who was a projected borderline first-round pick before tearing his ACL against Florida State in the Orange Bowl. Davis believes that even some selections in the later rounds could blossom into NFL starters.

“Pharaoh Brown out of Oregon had a horrible leg injury a couple years ago. So does a team take a look at him down the road?" Davis said. "Darrell Daniels out of Washington is a former receiver ended up moving to tight end. Cethan Carter at Nebraska, guys like that I think you can get down the line a little bit. Josiah Price at Michigan State is your old school tight end. He’s going to line up inline first and then he’ll fool you catching the football.”
  •  

2 hours ago, kelly said:

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan told the media at the NFL Combine that his team is in the market for a tight end this offseason. Luckily, this year's draft has debatably the most depth at the position in NFL history.

Can an argument be made that OJ Howard could be the replacement for BMarshall?  Different positions but same ability, size, speed..

I'm not sure Howard even makes it to #6. 
He's a matchup nightmare and reportedly impressed NFL people with his week at the Sr Bowl (on and off the field) 

I started to wonder if Tennessee would have an interest at 5 ... they want weapons for Mariota, and at the same time they love their running game. Howard would fit on both fronts.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I started to wonder if Tennessee would have an interest at 5 ... they want weapons for Mariota, and at the same time they love their running game. Howard would fit on both fronts.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Agree..That has been my thought too. Plus their GM is from NE which we all know utilizes the TE

I seem to have heard that song last year from.....Lorenzo Mauldin. Best to keep their mouth shut and prove it on the field. I really hope both those guys do great things for the Jets this year. Morton comes from the Harbaugh offense that used TE's and RB's quite extensively. 2 TE's and a FB often. We'll see if he follows in his mentors footsteps. If he does ASJ will have his opportunity and I wouldn't be surprised to see a early round TE draft pick. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets have signed free-agent TE Brian Parker, the team announced. This will be his second stint with the Jets. They claimed him on waivers last September, but released him two days later due to a failed physical. Parker (6-4, 265) was originally signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2015 out of the University of Albany (N.Y.). He also played with the Chiefs. He has one career catch for six yards. He was out of the NFL last season.

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Could Jets pull an end around by picking tight end O.J. Howard at 6 ?

Don't you love this time of year ? In 19 days, the New York Jets will be on the clock with the sixth pick in the draft. Our question this week focuses on what would be a controversial pick.

Accepting questions for Jets mailbag -- what to do at 6, QB search, leftover free agents, etc. As always, use #jetsmail

@RichCimini Consider OJ Howard? We need a ringer and this guy takes pressure off QB and RB #jetsmail

@RichCimini: First, let me start with this. A couple of weeks ago, I threw cold water on Mel Kiper's 3.0 mock draft, the one in which he has the Jets picking Howard. I called it a "luxury pick," saying the Jets have too many other needs to consider a tight end with the sixth pick. Since then, I've talked to more scouts about Howard, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. They believe he's a special talent and worthy of a pick in the top 10. I still say the Jets have more pressing needs than tight end, but I could build a case on why he'd be a solid value.

Three reasons : 

1. Howard can block, meaning he could play every down. He wouldn't be a situational tight end like Jace Amaro, the former second-round bust who was afraid to get his uniform dirty. Come to think of it, he wasn't good at catching either.

2. Unlike his predecessor, offensive coordinator John Morton will utilize the tight end in the passing game. If Morton employs a West Coast offense, as expected, he'll need a pass-catching tight end who can work the middle of the field and be a Cover 2 beater by threatening the deep seams. The current depth chart is bleak.

3. Not only does Howard have a high ceiling, but he has a high floor, according to scouts. That means he's a safe pick. Medically, he's clean, which is more than can be said for cornerback Marshon Lattimore, safety Malik Hooker and linebacker Reuben Foster, each of whom has an injury concern. In fact, Hooker and Foster are recovering from offseason surgeries.

The last time a tight end went as high as sixth was 2006, when the San Francisco 49ers chose Vernon Davis at No. 6. It doesn't happen often, but as one scout told me, "Howard is the first legitimate tight-end prospect we've seen in two or three years."Howard wouldn't be my first choice at No. 6, but let's be honest : The Jets need playmakers everywhere. This rebuilding project won't be an overnight process, and they need to accumulate as many good players as possible. And, yes, a quality tight end could be a big help to a young quarterback.

The Jets would get some backlash for picking a tight end, but ask yourself this question : If you believe the kid has a chance to become the next Gronk, would it matter where you pick him ?

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68009/could-jets-pull-an-end-around-by-picking-tight-end-o-j-howard-at-6

This is the first in a series of features on the 2017 NFL Draft, position by position. Today's positions: Tight Ends. The Jets' TE roster synopsis is followed by five players considered top candidates at TE.We all know the Jets haven't thrown to their tight ends much the past two seasons. The 26 catches for 268 yards and one touchdown are all NFL lows for that span.We also know that the offense that new Jets coordinator John Morton comes from, the New Orleans Saints, targeted their tights a lot more. Their 171 receptions and 1,833 yards were both 11th in the league, their 15 TDs eighth. Presumably he'll want to throw to the Green & White tight ends more as well.

Of the veterans currently on the Jets roster — Austin Seferian-Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif, Eric Tomlinsonicon-article-link.gif and Braedon Bowmanicon-article-link.gif — only Seferian-Jenkins had any receptions last season (10) and has any career catches (55). And ASJ will sit out the first two games of the coming season on league suspension. Kellen Davisicon-article-link.gif, the last Jets TE to catch a TD (from Geno Smith at Oakland in 2015) is an unrestricted free agent.But the draft beckons, and as NFL.com draft guru Mike Mayock said after the East-West Shrine Game in January, "This may be the best tight end class I've seen since I've been doing this."

Five Top Tight Ends in the Draft

O.J. HOWARD, ALABAMA
Howard (6'6", 251) is "the crown jewel of an exceptional class," according to Rob Rang of cbssports.com. His receiving numbers for the Crimson Tide were so-so but when the spotlight shined brightest, in the last two national championship games vs. Clemson, he combined for nine catches, 314 yards and three TDs. He had an outstanding Senior Bowl and Combine, where he was the top TE in the 3-cone (6.85 seconds) and 20 shuttle (4.16) and second in the 40 (4.51). His size and want-to showed up in improved blocking in 2016. He could even go sooner than the Jets' first pick at No. 6.

DAVID NJOKU, MIAMI
Njoku (6'4", 246), a North Jersey product, was a part-time starter for the Hurricanes last year as a redshirt sophomore and is still rough around the edges at the position with some drops and focus lapses. However, he's an impressive physical talent who was a national high jump champ at Cedar Grove HS and also jumped at The U. He did well at the Combine in the vertical and 3-cone and his wingspan (35¼ inch arm length) was second-best in this year's group.

EVAN ENGRAM, MISSISSIPPI
Engram (6'3", 234) can be a matchup nightmare for opponents of the NFL team that drafts him and makes him a pass-catching TE. He contributed all four of his seasons with the Rebels and turned in a strong senior season (65 catches, 926 yards, 14.2 yards/catch, eight TDs). He lit it up at the Combine with the quickest TE 40 time (4.42) and second-fastest 3-cone (6.92). His blocking skills aren't nearly as accomplished either in-line or on the move. He's reported to be a hard worker and a good teammate.

GERALD EVERETT, SOUTH ALABAMA
Everett (6'3", 239) also showed his pass-catching chops after coming to the Jaguars' program the last two seasons (combined team-high 90 catches, 1,292 yards, 12 TDs). He turned in good vertical (37.5") and 3-cone (6.99) showings at the Combine. He has good speed (4.62 in the 40) and small hands as a receiver, while as a blocker it's been noted he's aggressive but not polished and like Engram looks to be more receiver than blocker.

JAKE BUTT, MICHIGAN
Butt (6'5", 246) was a productive four-year player for the Wolverines both receiving (last two years combined: 97 catches, 1,200 yards, seven TDs) and blocking. His draft status took a major hit due to a torn ACL suffered in the one-point Orange Bowl loss to Florida State. Butt has said recently he's ahead of his rehab schedule and could return to action by training camp. That sounds optimistic but if he can clear the medical hurdles, he could be a fourth-round bargain. 

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Prospect-Preview-Tight-Ends/7966f229-61b5-454e-89e2-e30932c84390

This is the third in a series highlighting players who could be selected by the New York Jets with the sixth overall pick in the April 27 draft:

Player: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Height/weight: 6-foot-6, 251 pounds

Scouts, Inc. ranking: No. 8

Draft projection: Fourth to 15th

Scouting report: Howard is a true tight end, not an oversized wide receiver masquerading as one. In other words, he's a three-down player. Not only is he a big, fluid athlete who impacts the passing game, but he's an effective blocker who won't be a liability on running downs. He graded out as the country's best run-blocking tight end in 2016, according to Pro Football Focus. He ran the 40 in 4.51 seconds at the scouting combine (second fastest at his position) and posted the best times in the 20-yard shuttle and three-cone drill. Howard has big hands (10 1/4 inches), long arms (33 3/4 inches) and doesn't drop many passes (only six in his last three seasons). He's a vertical threat and can make big chunks of yardage after the catch. Scouts say he has All-Pro potential. He'll be the second Alabama tight end to get drafted in the first round. The other: Ozzie Newsome, a Hall of Famer. Howard would be a significant upgrade for the Jets, who ranked at the bottom in tight-end production over the last two seasons.

Key stats: In four seasons, Howard compiled 114 receptions, 1,726 yards and seven touchdowns. He was an All-American in 2016, finishing with 45 catches, 595 yards and three touchdowns. He caught 77.6 percent of his targets, the second-best catch rate in the SEC, per PFF. He ended his career with a streak of 17 straight games with at least one reception. His breakout game was the 2015 national championship game, when he was named offensive MVP with five catches for 208 yards. Only three tight ends in the last 20 drafts have cracked the top 10 -- Eric Ebron (10th, 2010), Vernon Davis (sixth, 2006) and Kellen Winslow, Jr. (sixth, 2004).

Red flags: Howard didn't have huge numbers at Alabama, prompting many to wonder if it was scheme-related or Howard-related. If you're going to pick a tight end at No. 6 overall, you'd like to see more than seven touchdowns in his career.

In his own words: "I think I have a lot of athletic ability for the next level that can get used a lot. I can go out wide, I can make plays in the passing game, I can stay in and block. ... It's kind of rare to see a guy that's a three-down tight end nowadays. I think that's what I bring to the table."

Scouts' take: ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr.: "He’s got it all. He’s a matchup nightmare. He should've been catching six, seven passes a game; he wasn’t even targeted that much. ... He’s certainly one of the top five, six, seven players in this draft." ... NFC scout: "He's the only legitimate tight-end prospect we've seen in the last two or three years. He was a good blocker at one time. I think he may have slipped a little last year, but he's still respectable. ... He made big plays when they needed to be made." ... NFL Network's Bucky Brooks: "He's dynamic. He's tough. He has worked on his craft. At the top of the charts, you're trying to make sure you don't miss. He's almost a can't-miss prospect."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68108/jets-could-go-from-rags-to-riches-at-tight-end-by-drafting-o-j-howard

~ ~  7. Did you know ? Since the merger in 1970, the Jets have drafted five tight ends in the first round, more than any team in the league. And here they are, heading into another draft, desperate for a pass-catching tight end. Since 2010, their tight ends have produced a league-low 357 receptions. Crazy, huh?

Oh, in case you're wondering, the Fab Five: Dustin Keller (2008), Anthony Becht (2000), Kyle Brady (1995), Johnny Mitchell (1992) and Jerome Barkum (1972).

8. An amazing legacy : Do yourself a favor and read this incredible story about the late Konrad Reuland, a former Jets tight end. Reuland, who died last Dec. 12 of a brain aneurysm, donated his organs and his heart ended up inside the chest of baseball Hall of Famer Rod Carew.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68149/controversy-free-jets-begin-offseason-amid-the-sound-of-crickets

This could be the year the Jets finally snag a game-changing tight end. 

At the minimum, they're taking a look at one of the better prospects in the NFL Draft. The Jets hosted Miami's David Njoku for a pre-draft visit on Monday, according to a report from ESPN. The Jets also met with Njoku at the NFL Combine, and had personnel in attendance for his pro day. 

Njoku, 20, is viewed by many as the second-best tight end in the draft, just behind Alabama's O.J. Howard. A 6-4, 246-pound target, Njoku figures to contribute immediately in the passing game."Njoku is a freak athlete," a league scout said in Nolan Nawrocki's draft preview. "He's built like [Titans defensive end] Jevon Kearse. He can do it all. He might have the potential to be the most complete tight end to exit in awhile.

"I know he's getting beat up for his lack of production in our building, but it's all ahead of him. For a sophomore, he was tearing it up."

Njoku played two years at Miami, and caught 64 passes for 1,060 yards and nine touchdowns. Last season, he set career-highs in receptions (43), yards (698) and touchdowns (1). At the NFL Combine, he ran a 4.64 40-yard dash and jumped a 37.5-inch vertical. The Jets hold the No. 6 pick in the draft. It seems unlikely they'd use that selection on Njoku, but he could be an option for them if he starts to slide. The Jets could trade back into the first round, or take him in the second. 

Either way, the Jets figure to add a tight end in the draft. These last two years they've virtually ignored the position. Jets' tight ends caught eight passes in 2015, and 18 last year. Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the only player of note returning in 2017, and he's suspended the first two games of the season.  New offensive coordinator John Morton was once a tight ends coach. 

The Jets last used a first-round pick on a tight end in 2008 (Dustin Keller), and second-round pick in 2014 (Jace Amaro). Neither player is still with the team. 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/04/jets_taking_a_look_at_one_of_nfl_drafts_top_tight.html#incart_river_index

Time for Jets to recognize tight-end position exists in NFL

This is the fourth installment of our position-by-position breakdown for the New York Jets as we head to the April 27-29 draft:

Position: Tight end

Current personnel: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (signed through 2017), Eric Tomlinson (2017), Braedon Bowman (2018), Brian Parker (2017), Jason Vander Laan (2018).

Key newcomers: Parker (free agent/Kansas City Chiefs).

Departures: Kellen Davis (free agent), Brandon Bostick (free agent).

Projected starters: Seferian-Jenkins, by default. He's the only tight end with more than one career reception. (Parker has one.)

Overview: It goes without saying this is the weakest position on the Jets' roster; it might be the weakest in the entire league -- at any position. Former offensive coordinator Chan Gailey didn't value the tight-end position in his passing attack, so the organization didn't invest any resources. The current depth chart consists of a waiver-wire pick-up (Seferian-Jenkins) and minimum-salary players. The Jets' tight ends managed only 26 receptions in 2015 and 2016, 71 fewer than the next-closest team. Repeat: 71! That is mind boggling. New coordinator John Morton is planning to utilize the tight ends, which means they need to add talent to the pipeline. Seferian-Jenkins has the skill set for a West Coast-style offense, but he's unreliable and will start the season on the suspended list (two games). He's also entering the final year of his rookie contract.

The last tight end drafted: Jace Amaro, a record-setting pass catcher in college, was picked in the second round in 2014. He was released last preseason after only 38 receptions.

Potential targets: The Jets should be able to find a potential starter, as talent evaluators are calling this one of the best tight-end classes in recent years. Eight could get picked in the first three rounds. The consensus No. 1 is O.J. Howard (Alabama), who could be a consideration with the sixth overall choice. He's straight out of central casting -- a 6-foot-6, 251-pound uber-athlete with blocking skills. Yes, blocking skills. From all indications, the Jets didn't invite him for a visit, which may or may not mean something. They did have a late visit with David Njoku (Miami), a likely first-round pick. One NFC scout said, "He has a ton of talent, but he's a work in progress. He's all the athlete you could ever want, but he doesn't block anybody or try to." They're also showing interest in Evan Engram (Ole Miss), who could sneak into the first round. Basically, he's an over-sized wide receiver. This is a chance for the Jets to do something right at tight end.

Need factor (based on a scale of 1 to 10): 10.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68235/time-for-jets-to-recognize-tight-end-position-exists-in-nfl

• 2 weeks later...

i hope we can draft this guy today !..

~ ~ Jake Butt to collect on loss-of-value policy following torn ACL

Michigan tight end Jake Butt has slipped to at least the fourth round, but he won't go without getting paid back for the fall.

Butt, who tore his ACL in the Orange Bowl against Florida State, has a $2 million loss-of-value policy that he started collecting insurance on when he wasn't picked in the top half of the third round Friday night.He first started collecting, at $10,000 a pick, in the middle of the third round, a source with knowledge of the policy with ISI told ESPN. By the end of Friday night's third round, the policy had covered about $150,000.

The 2016 Mackey Award winner for the best tight end in the nation, Butt suffered a second torn ACL in the Orange Bowl. The subsequent surgery prohibited him from showing teams what he could do.Butt took out a $2 million total disability policy with a $2 million loss-of-value policy attached before the start of the season. The loss-of-value rider cost roughly $25,000, a source said.Through the first three rounds, six tight ends have been drafted: Alabama's O.J. Howard (No. 19), Ole Miss' Evan Engram (23), Miami's David Njoku (29), South Alabama's Gerald Everett (44), Ashland's Adam Shaheen (45) and Florida International's Jonnu Smith (100).

Loss-of-value policies have gained popularity over the past five years. The players who have most famously collected from their draft stock falling have been Oregon's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, who made $3 million in insurance after tearing his ACL and dropping to the seventh round in 2015, and Notre Dame's Jaylon Smith, who collected $850,000 from his fall to the second round after teams passed on him following ACL and MCL tears. Both policies were also with ISI.

The first pick of the fourth round will get a guarantee of about $650,000.

>       http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19271765/jake-butt-collecting-loss-value-policy-reach-2-million

The New York Jets passed on the consensus No. 1 tight end in last week's draft, O.J. Howard, opting for the unexpectedly available Jamal Adams, a safety. Can't quibble with that.

They waited until the fifth round to address their well-chronicled need at tight end, passing on some good ones along the way. Finally, they grabbed Clemson's Jordan Leggett, who made Mel Kiper's list of early-impact rookies in the late rounds. And, by the way, Leggett posted better receiving numbers than Howard in 2016.

Check it out :

Maybe, just maybe, the Jets uncovered a third-day gem, something they haven't done too often in recent years.

"[Y'all] have seen the film," Leggett told reporters after being drafted. "At Clemson, I played everywhere. I played H-back, I played on the line, I played slot receiver, I played wideout. Honestly, you just have to look back at the film. I've honestly done it all. I mean, I was a finalist for the best tight end in the nation this past year and the year before that. I'm kind of good at what I do."

And confident, apparently.

With a dearth of talent at tight end in New York, Leggett will have an opportunity to compete for early playing time. He has the ideal frame (6-foot-5, 258 pounds) with good speed and giant hands (10⅜ inches). New offensive coordinator John Morton is looking for an athletic pass-catcher at tight end, and Leggett possesses those traits."For me, I feel like I post a big [mismatch] on the field," said Leggett, who will participate in rookie minicamp Friday. "I mean, honestly, anywhere against anybody."

Leggett wasn't known as a sturdy blocker in college. Early on at Clemson, he developed a reputation for being a slacker. His nickname was "Lazy Leggett," but he matured and became a key player on the Tigers' national-championship team."He was one of those guys his first couple of years that was kind of half-in," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney once said. "He was a sometimer. Sometimes he was committed, sometimes he wasn't. Sometimes he practiced hard, sometimes he didn't. Sometimes he wanted to be great, sometimes he didn't."

Leggett lasted until the 150th pick for a reason, 131 spots after Howard, but sometimes a talented player falls through the cracks. He could be a steal for the Jets.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68549/why-te-jordan-leggett-could-be-a-fifth-round-steal-for-jets

ESPN's AFC East reporters weigh in on which player picked in Rounds 4-7 of the NFL draft will have the biggest impact in the division. Each team’s draft class is below the reporter’s analysis.

Rich Cimini, New York Jets reporter: When selecting a sleeper, I look for three things: talent, scheme fit and opportunity. I’m picking Jets TE Jordan Leggett, a fifth-round pick, because he has the pass-receiving skills to fit in their West Coast offense and the Jets are desperate for tight end help. Leggett is a poor blocker, so they’ll have to be smart about how they use him. It’s all there for Leggett; all he has to do is learn the offense and prove he belongs.

We're at the point in the offseason where veteran free agents become a bit more desirable. The NFL Draft has come and gone, and any player signed from this point on will not count towards a team's compensatory pick formula -- absent you, LeGarrette Blount

The Jets and their recently-gutted roster could still use a bit of help, specifically at the tight end position. Is Gary Barnidge, whom the Browns released after drafting David Njoku, on their radar ?

"Nothing to this point," a league source told NJ Advance Media. 

The Jets have issues. A lot of them. But their tight end situation may be the most dire (outside of quarterback, obviously) of them all. Austin Seferian-Jenkins tops the depth chart, but he'll serve a two-game suspension to start the season, has dealt with injuries throughout his career, and has just 55 receptions in 25 games career games. After him, there's Jordan Leggett, the Jets' fifth-round pick in this year's draft. There's a lot to like about the Clemson product -- he has natural hands, and is a massive 6-5 and 258 pounds -- but he's a rookie. There will be growing pains. He has also been labeled "lazy" in many pre-draft scouting reports. 

Braedon Bowman, Anthony Firkser, Brian Parker, Eric Tomlinson and Jason Vander Laan are all under contract headed into organized team activities, which begin in two weeks, but the five have a combined one career reception.in 2016, Barnidge caught 55 passes for 612 yards and two touchdowns. In 2015, he set career highs in catches (79), yards (1,043) and receiving touchdowns (9). He's a talented pass-catcher, and a capable blocker -- he received a PFF grade of 68.1 in the category. If signed, he'd be (arguably) the Jets' most talented tight end in years. 

Now, this doesn't mean the Jets won't reach out to Barnidge at some point. They just haven't yet. This could be for a myriad of reasons. Barnidge will turn 32 in September, and the Jets are making a concerted effort to get younger.Teams could also view Barnidge's recent production as an anomaly. He wasn't very effective his first four seasons with the Panthers (2008-2012), or two with the Browns (2013-2014). He had just 44 receptions in that time. 

The Jets could also be waiting for Barnidge's price to drop. If he's still unsigned in a couple of weeks, willing to take a team-friendly deal, and the Jets aren't happy with those on the roster, they could make a call.But for now, there's nothing on the Jets-Barnidge front. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/05/are_jets_interested_gary_barnidge_browns.html#incart_river_index

• 3 weeks later...

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Wishful shrinking : Austin Seferian-Jenkins, acquired last September at the low point of his career, is making a concerted effort to improve himself, personally and professionally. The Jets have witnessed a remarkable transformation over the last few months, as the veteran tight end has dropped about 25 pounds. His weight ballooned to the mid-280s last season, and now he's down to 260, according to his agent, Brian Fettner. He was listed last year at 262, but that was just a rumor.The slimmed-down Seferian-Jenkins jumped out in the first OTA practice, demonstrating the athleticism and receiving ability that made him a second-round pick for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2014. He was a diligent participant in the offseason conditioning program and also trained with a fitness guru in Las Vegas, where he worked out three times a day and took a hot pilates class.

Oh, the irony: Some people go to Vegas to get crazy and over indulge; Seferian-Jenkins went there to get his mind and body right.

Fettner called it "a mental and physical lifestyle change," adding, "The light went on, and he's really dialed in."The Jets pulled Seferian-Jenkins off the scrap heap last September, claiming him on waivers after he was released by the Bucs following a DUI arrest. To make matters worse, an embarrassing police video surfaced, showing him making crude remarks in the back of the cruiser. Seferian-Jenkins, who also had a DUI in college, was suspended for the first two games of the season.

After a nondescript 2016 (10 catches in seven games), Seferian-Jenkins rededicated himself for the final year of his contract. This is potentially good news for the Jets, who have rediscovered the tight end under new coordinator John Morton. They're actually planning to throw passes to the tight end! Seferian-Jenkins could be the ideal fit in Morton's West Coast-based system if he continues his resurgence.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68981/meet-the-jets-incredible-shrinking-tight-end-austin-seferian-jenkins

On 12/31/2016 at 1:30 PM, munchmemory said:

I'm feeling the same level of confidence and calm as when Gholston was anointed our savior at his position.

I remember in 2008 when we picked Gholston, and I said that the only way this draft could be any worse was if we drafted Eric Ainge.  I now know to never expect anything from a Jet draft except disappointment. 

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I remember in 2008 when we picked Gholston, and I said that the only way this draft could be any worse was if we drafted Eric Ainge.  I now know to never expect anything from a Jet draft except disappointment. 

uggghh..

leonard-jets-thumb-800x571-52419.jpg

:rolleyes:

-- An ordinary day for the New York Jets -- Day 4 of OTA practices -- was another winning day for Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

His 129th day without alcohol.

In an interview with ESPN, the veteran tight end admitted Tuesday he sought help after the season for a drinking problem that led to a DUI arrest last September. Seferian-Jenkins said he stopped drinking Jan. 21 and attended rehab four times a week on an outpatient basis."Even since I stopped drinking, it's been a transformation," Seferian-Jenkins, 24, said. "It really has changed my life. I just try to win one day at a time. I've won 129 days and I'm going to continue to win however many more days. It's been a blessing."

The Jets took a chance on Seferian-Jenkins after he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers following the arrest. An embarrassing police video surfaced in the aftermath, showing him making crude remarks in the back of the police cruiser. In March, he received a two-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

Seferian-Jenkins said he continued to drink during the season, allowing his weight to balloon to 285 pounds -- about 25 pounds about his listed playing weight. Finally, he decided to get help."Knowing you need help and you don't go get it, that's the worst thing," he said. "I was scared to get help. I was scared and embarrassed to tell people I have a problem."

Seferian-Jenkins said he wasn't a daily drinker, claiming he wasn't dependent on alcohol. During therapy, he came to the realization that he drank to cope with "dormant issues." He declined to elaborate on those issues."It's not like I was dependent on it; I was dependent on self-medicating myself so I could deal with s---," he said. "Once I figured out what was going on, I got help. I went to the doctor and figured everything out. "I've been straight. It's not like I'm f-----g dying. It's not like I craved it, wake up in the morning and I need a drink. It was just like, I'm having a tough time, I'm dealing with something, it's 6:30 p.m. and let's crack one back."

Seferian-Jenkins said he "graduated" last week from his outpatient program, receiving a commemorative coin. For several weeks, he spent 14 hours a week at a facility near the Jets' training complex. Now he plans to attend weekly sessions, knowing he also can speak with the Jets' in-house counselor."I give a lot of credit to the Jets' organization because they supported me when I told them I need to get help," he said. "They were the first people to say, 'We're so proud of you.' It wasn't embarrassing. They were like, 'This is great. This will be a great turning point in your life.'"

Seferian-Jenkins, a second-round pick of the Bucs in 2014, concluded that his drinking was preventing him from realizing his potential. In the offseason, he moved in with his agent, Brian Fettner, in Henderson, Nevada.Temptation wasn't far -- Fettner's home is on a mountain, overlooking the Las Vegas strip -- but Seferian-Jenkins stuck to a strict diet and exercise regimen. Working with a personal trainer, he ate a lot of vegetables, drank two gallons of water a day, took two Pilates classes per day and ran hills.He dropped 25 pounds, and it shows. Seferian-Jenkins, the most experienced tight end on the roster, has caught the attention of the coaches.

"He's running well," coach Todd Bowles said. "It's still early, but he's in a good groove right now."

Seferian-Jenkins believes he's a better person, no longer dreading those early-morning wake-up calls for practice. He will have to miss the first two games because of the suspension, but he said, "I'd rather have that -- the suspension -- than have myself be like the way I was."

His football goal, he said, is to repay the Jets for taking a chance on him at his low point."I want to be the guy the Jets brought in, the guy they see as a diamond in the rough, that they want to brush off and clean and show what he really can do," he said. "I'm brushing it away right now. I'm going to shine."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19499429/new-york-jets-te-austin-seferian-jenkins-admits-seeking-help-drinking-problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

A change in offensive philosophy, coupled with a massive overhaul at wide receiver, will result in a new and radical approach for the New York Jets.

Are you ready for this ?

They're planning to acknowledge the existence of the tight-end position. Yes, really. Not only will they throw the ball in that direction, but they may actually lean on tight ends in the passing game.

Holy Gronkowski, Batman! (Sorry, I had the late Adam West on the brain.)

Now that Eric Decker is officially a goner, released Monday after six days of futile trade talks, the Jets' top wide receivers are Quincy Enunwa (80 career catches), Robby Anderson (42) and Charone Peake (19). Their draft pedigrees: Sixth round, free agent and seventh round, respectively. Rookies ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen also are expected to contribute.The group contains some intriguing upside, but it has to be the youngest receiving corps in the NFL -- and that will only exacerbate the growing pains of Christian Hackenberg when he inevitably gets a shot at quarterback. It was a short-sighted decision to release Decker, their most accomplished receiver, but we've been over that and what's done is done.

The question is, how do they move forward ?

Unlike Chan Gailey, who used a four-receiver, one-back base offense, new coordinator John Morton will mix up his personnel packages, relying less on his green receivers and more on his tight ends. Let's be clear: They don't have any safe bets at tight end, either, but they like what they've seen from Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who has a chance to revive his career. He went to rehab to address a drinking problem, dropped 25 pounds and looked terrific in the 10 OTA practices. The final phase of the offseason begins Tuesday with a three-day minicamp.

They also have fifth-round pick Jordan Leggett, who, like Seferian-Jenkins, is a pass-catching tight end who fits Morton's West Coast scheme. Leggett has been coming along slowly, but he has the size and athletic traits to become a factor in the passing game.

My, how times have changed. Previously, the Jets treated their tight ends like offensive linemen. In 2015 and 2016, their tight ends made only 26 receptions, 71 fewer than the next-closest team. It goes back further. Since 2009, they've produced a league-low 404 receptions from the tight ends.But now Decker and Brandon Marshall are gone, and the entire dynamic has changed. As Seferian-Jenkins told me a couple of weeks ago, "I think I had 19 targets all of last season. I've already had 19 in a few practices."

Get used to it.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69302/with-receiving-corps-dismantled-jets-could-lean-on-surprise-tight-ends

Archived