Let's Get Wade in Here as the New DC!!!!

Charlie Brown

Wade Phillips hints that he’s parted ways with the Broncos
Nunzio Ingrassia
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:44p ET
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/w...broncos-010217

A day after Gary Kubiak announced his retirement from head coaching, Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips hinted on Twitter that he has parted ways with team.

Phillips has been the mastermind of the Broncos’ stingy defense the past two seasons. Denver’s defense was critical in the franchise’s Super Bowl title last year.

With the Broncos in search of a new head coach, it’s common practice for that coach to bring in his own coordinators. Though that is likely to be the situation in Denver, Broncos general manager John Elway said he hopes to keep as much continuity within the organization as possible.

The Broncos finished fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (316) and points allowed (297) in 2016. If Denver does not retain Phillips, he will likely become a hot commodity in the offseason – either as a coordinator or possibly a return to head coaching.

Phillips last was a head coach with the Houston Texans, filling in for Kubiak in the final three games in 2013. Before that, Phillips three-plus seasons as the Dallas Cowboys head coach from 2007-2010, reaching the playoffs twice in that span.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

He heeds to be challenged

which is why he'll stick with one of "his guys" that is basically an errand boy while Bowles runs the defense..I judge head coaches by their coordinators. If they elect to be "Coordinator-in-chief" by bringing a "Yes Man" coordinator for "their side of the ball" then I bet on them failing. 

I almost got shocked when there was talk that Rex was going to retain Schwartz in Buffalo as it would mean he learned something, but he didn't. Bowles is the same type of coach as Rex...a failed one.

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Bowles needs to hire Wade let him run the D then hire Norv or McCoy let them run the O and he needs to concentrate on the locker room,  clock management, and when to go for it on fourth down, and when to go for two!!!

Surrounding him with guys like these would be a great idea.

Just now, Dinamite said:

It would be a fantastic hire, but it is highly unlikely that Bowles hires anyone to run his defense (outside of his trusted friends).   Much like Rex was really the one running the D.

If he keeps Rodgers I will sh*t. He needs someone to run his D, hopefully he won't be so damn stubborn. Not holding my breath.

I can see a mutual parting of ways with Chan (or he moves to some senior position that is just a title), maybe the special teams coach gets fired and lots of assistants like QB coach, etc.   Maybe a few assistants in the defensive end, like the DB coach.   But I bet Rodgers stays.

I would be really impressed with Bowles though if he hired someone like Phillips to run the D.   That would show he is more concerned about being a head coach, rather than just stubbornly holding on to his vision of the D.

Mike McCoy I believe will get a coaching job. Phillips would be a tremendous hire, and he's no threat to Bowles because he has very little ego. He's as cool as the other side of the pillow like his dad Bum. Who better to reign in this young horses & this years draftees. Wade is proven, he's had good defenses wherever he goes & he's not a one trick pony like Rex. I agree with everyone else, Kacey was an abject failure & keeping him as the DC with the problems this defense has had is a travesty & will be discussed ad nausium in the press & should be. When your talking about the same blown coverages 15 games into the season that's a bit of an issue.

15 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

If he keeps Rodgers I will sh*t. He needs someone to run his D, hopefully he won't be so damn stubborn. Not holding my breath.

Big changes coming to D according to Schefter. If he actually lets go of Rodgers, I will be surprised.  If he hires Wade I will be really impressed.   

16 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Wade Phillips hints that he’s parted ways with the Broncos
Nunzio Ingrassia
Jan 2, 2017 at 5:44p ET
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/w...broncos-010217

A day after Gary Kubiak announced his retirement from head coaching, Denver Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips hinted on Twitter that he has parted ways with team.

Phillips has been the mastermind of the Broncos’ stingy defense the past two seasons. Denver’s defense was critical in the franchise’s Super Bowl title last year.

With the Broncos in search of a new head coach, it’s common practice for that coach to bring in his own coordinators. Though that is likely to be the situation in Denver, Broncos general manager John Elway said he hopes to keep as much continuity within the organization as possible.

The Broncos finished fourth in the league in yards allowed per game (316) and points allowed (297) in 2016. If Denver does not retain Phillips, he will likely become a hot commodity in the offseason – either as a coordinator or possibly a return to head coaching.

Phillips last was a head coach with the Houston Texans, filling in for Kubiak in the final three games in 2013. Before that, Phillips three-plus seasons as the Dallas Cowboys head coach from 2007-2010, reaching the playoffs twice in that span.

So they did not want to offer him HC?  He has had his chances there  Enough with DC head coaches.  They are awful at sideline in game decisions

Wade is a terrific idea. One big problem, weak people surround themselves with weak people.  Bowles is a weakling.  He would never give up authority on the defensive side of the ball to someone who could do the job better than him and his lackey KR. 

Even if someone like Wade were forced on him, Bowles would get in the way of him doing the job because, after all, Bowles supposedly made his bones on defense.  This is the nature of weak managers.  Big differences between being a position coach, coordinator and a HC.  Unfortunately for us, Bowles isn't even a good defensive coordinator on his own.

OP, what makes you think Wade Phillips wouldn't be leaving Denver to seek a Head Coaching job?

He's done very well in Denver.  He has Head Coaching experience.

Safe to say that despite his HC record, he is as qualified as anyone to seek the available HC jobs this offseason.

17 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Bowles needs to hire Wade let him run the D then hire Norv or McCoy let them run the O and he needs to concentrate on the locker room,  clock management, and when to go for it on fourth down, and when to go for two!!!

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Surrounding him with guys like these would be a great idea.

I had a conversation with my brother and it sounded just like this. I said if I was able to talk to Bowles I would tell him to hire Norv and get a DC like a "rex ryan or wade phillips type" (no kidding) and then I would tell bowles let them do their thing and you worry about game management.... 

I am totally on board with this

Archived