Optimism

DMan77

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we have good young talent on this team, with upside. Something this team rarely seems it ever has. We have good depth and role players. The problem with our roster is we don't have any really good players. Especially at the key positions (QB, LT, OLB, CB).

Robbie Anderson, Powell, Brandon Shell, Winters, Wesley Johnson, Enunwa, Peake, Bishop, Stanford, Burris, all look like good depth players, some of them maybe even becoming solid starters.

Leo has potential to be a top player at his position.

Lee has upside to be a good long term starter. 

Petty looks like he will be a good backup, which is what he was drafted for. Maybe one day a decent starter.

So I'm opitmistic that we are building a solid foundation. But we are lacking big time players to take that foundation and make it complete.

Mac needs some big time draft picks and key free agent signings to really bring this together. He also needs to pray to the heavens Hackenberg develops to his potential.

Continuing to look at the bright side when I can... I'm optimistic about the Jets keeping Kacy Rodgers... I think the Jets defense got better when TB handed the reins over to him in the last few weeks... I know we can point to the opponents or the time of year or the QBs they faced, but I do think the Jets just looked a tiny bit more organized at the end, even with all the players that had quit on TB.

I'm hopeful that with Rodgers more involved with the day to day and making some of the play calls, the Jets can improve. I think TB tried to do much with the defense this year. He loves versatility but I think he stretched a few guys into roles they couldn't handle... I think Rodgers will do a better job at letting guys play their natural spots and that'll keep things a little more stable. 

In decreasing order.

Leonard Williams is a future all pro. He combines talent with someone who knows how to work hard. Jets need more players like him

Brandon Shell is saving Mac in my eyes.

Enunwa, Peake, and Anderson are all promising WR's

Petty is not completely trash.

Powell is still a nice borderline starting running back

Mangold at least wants to be a Jet

Darron Lee is athletic... His PFF numbers are low but he is new to LB in general. I think he will improve vastly as he learns his position.

Darryl Roberts and Justin Burris belong on the team next year.

I think Pryor would be an amazing box safety if he had a complementary coverage FS. Pryor looks awesome when he's running downhill and attacking. Not so much when he is thinking.

Richardson and Wilkerson may have finally eaten a slice of humble pie. Their antics and laziness was covered up by their talent and patience by the coaching staff, media and fans. This year the bottom fell out and they got roasted more than they ever could have imagined. How will they respond?

And finally, Fitzy is gone. At the start of this year, the jets had no choice but to bring him back. If macc didn't the Ny media would blast about how he threw 31 tds last year, best in Jets history, and they let him walk away... SOJ! Too bad it didn't work out keeping him, but in reality the Jets never had a choice.

As I stick with hunting down optimism... Here's a nice and quick piece on Robbie Anderson... Kid could go places. He seems to have the right attitude and instincts... From my non-expert opinion if he can put on a little more weight he could become a legit threat that teams at least have to think about. 

http://thejetpress.com/2017/01/09/new-york-jets-overlooked-robby-anderson/

"When asked about the rising star in Anderson, Petty said, “Robby just does a really good job. He’s kind of one of those, as we like to call him in our QB room, a QB-friendly guy. When you’re running and escaping, he just finds where you are,” 

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

As I stick with hunting down optimism... Here's a nice piece on Robbie Anderson... Kid could go places.

http://thejetpress.com/2017/01/09/new-york-jets-overlooked-robby-anderson/

"When asked about the rising star in Anderson, Petty said, “Robby just does a really good job. He’s kind of one of those, as we like to call him in our QB room, a QB-friendly guy. When you’re running and escaping, he just finds where you are,” 

That is a very underrated skill for a WR.  When things go awry, find an open spot and one where the QB can see you.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is a very underrated skill for a WR.  When things go awry, find an open spot and one where the QB can see you.

Right? I feel like in scouting reports and in the "experts" analysis you always here them talk about how guys "need to work on their route running". And that's all well and good, but I also want some guys who can adjust on the fly and find the open spots, not just run their predetermined routes.

I mean I get there are timing-routes that they need to get down, but I also want guys who can make something happen. 

All Hope went when they kept Bowles and even worse Bowles kept his buddy Kacey Rogers on the worst D.C in the NFL.

The Good news is we have no QB and the draft stinks for QB's a total Tank will lead to Darnold!

Unfortunate we will not be bad enough, we will perhaps win between 4-6 Games, and miss on the Franchise QB again.

I don't trust the Coaching Staff, I actually Like Macc, he's got more guys in here then we've had for a long time, and some good UDFA's - We lack the key piece, I'd actually settle for an average QB we have had bottom 5 QB play for many years, I don't want a mid 30's vet like Romo (going to the Broncos) or Jay Cutler who will just get destroyed in NY.

Lets run out Petty and Hack I can handle it blowing up with them, but the coach and the GM are up to their necks, and a vast improvement is needed for them not to get fired.

So it's Jay Fooking Cutler (please no) I wont watch many games next year if we sign that jerk,

In summing up, we stink, the high paid Vets need to go, and I mean ALL of them, we are stuck with Mo for at least another year. This is Worst year I've felt emotionally for a lot of years, just Dire.

18 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

All Hope went when they kept Bowles and even worse Bowles kept his buddy Kacey Rogers on the worst D.C in the NFL.

The Good news is we have no QB and the draft stinks for QB's a total Tank will lead to Darnold!

Unfortunate we will not be bad enough, we will perhaps win between 4-6 Games, and miss on the Franchise QB again.

I don't trust the Coaching Staff, I actually Like Macc, he's got more guys in here then we've had for a long time, and some good UDFA's - We lack the key piece, I'd actually settle for an average QB we have had bottom 5 QB play for many years, I don't want a mid 30's vet like Romo (going to the Broncos) or Jay Cutler who will just get destroyed in NY.

Lets run out Petty and Hack I can handle it blowing up with them, but the coach and the GM are up to their necks, and a vast improvement is needed for them not to get fired.

So it's Jay Fooking Cutler (please no) I wont watch many games next year if we sign that jerk,

In summing up, we stink, the high paid Vets need to go, and I mean ALL of them, we are stuck with Mo for at least another year. This is Worst year I've felt emotionally for a lot of years, just Dire.

I hear you, but this is an optimism thread! Try and find something to hold onto. There are plenty of threads to help you feel dire and down, but this one is to try and latch on to something even if it's small.

How about the good young WRs? Or how about Shell looking solid at RT? Or how about Leonard Williams coming of age and taking on a bigger role on the field and in the locker room? Or how about how the organization managed to find a solid player in Freddie Bishop from the CFL. Or how about even looking at having the 6th round pick as being pretty exciting? Or how about how their 7th round pick in 2015 Dion Simon, got some playing time later in the season and is in line for a bigger role?...

There are some positives on this team if you look closer. This isn't about trying to pretend the Jets are the greatest. It's about finding things to help curb the cynicism and see that all hope is not lost. There are some solid parts to this team. 

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I hear you, but this is an optimism thread! Try and find something to hold onto. There are plenty of threads to help you feel dire and down, but this one is to try and latch on to something even if it's small.

How about the good young WRs? Or how about Shell looking solid at RT? Or how about Leonard Williams coming of age and taking on a bigger role on the field and in the locker room? Or how about how the organization managed to find a solid player in Freddie Bishop from the CFL. Or how about even looking at having the 6th round pick as being pretty exciting? Or how about how their 7th round pick in 2015 Dion Simon, got some playing time later in the season and is in line for a bigger role?...

There are some positives on this team if you look closer. This isn't about trying to pretend the Jets are the greatest. It's about finding things to help curb the cynicism and see that all hope is not lost. There are some solid parts to this team. 

I actually want to bury this season with some Nuclear waste. Hoping Shell will turn into a servable RT, it's not going to do it for me. Yes the young players have contributed but are they NFL standard? - I really don't know, we are so Bad that anyone's that's not a complete disaster, we think is the great hope for the future?

We need a game changer a real Star, I don't see it, Leo a nice 3-4 End come DT, is he getting us15 sacks per, don't think so. The Kids and UDFA and FA's have done Ok, but at best may make cheap plug in guys. We need a Game changer, a Pass Rusher, QB, WR or even Running Back, I think more then anything the inability of CS and HC to coach has me worried, we could have Jerry Rice, Marshall Falk on the Roster and they would sink with our CS. 

17 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I actually want to bury this season with some Nuclear waste. Hoping Shell will turn into a servable RT, it's not going to do it for me. Yes the young players have contributed but are they NFL standard? - I really don't know, we are so Bad that anyone's that's not a complete disaster, we think is the great hope for the future?

We need a game changer a real Star, I don't see it, Leo a nice 3-4 End come DT, is he getting us15 sacks per, don't think so. The Kids and UDFA and FA's have done Ok, but at best may make cheap plug in guys. We need a Game changer, a Pass Rusher, QB, WR or even Running Back, I think more then anything the inability of CS and HC to coach has me worried, we could have Jerry Rice, Marshall Falk on the Roster and they would sink with our CS. 

I get it man... But I'm trying to keep just one thread going that doesn't turn into crying a despair. 

You know the saying "see the forest through the trees"? Well I'm trying to have us, in here at least, do the opposite. Instead of looking at the forest as a whole, pick out a few trees that look healthy. Ya, looking at the entire forest you can think "wow what an ugly, hopeless forest", but if you allow yourself to instead take a minute to glance at the individual healthy, even as sparse as they are, you might feel better. They might not be giant redwoods, but there are things out there to feel hopeful about.

I'm not asking people to be disillusion or pretend we're good... There's 100,000 threads in here where we're talking about how bad this team is as a whole. I just liked the idea of having one spot where we can say hey "Hey this is a good sign" even if we have to kind of grit our teeth to believe it.

Anyway, I do completely understand where you're coming from. We're all in the same boat... Just trying to keep this for the good stuff.

9 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I get it man... But I'm trying to keep just one thread going that doesn't turn into crying a despair. 

You know the saying "see the forest through the trees"? Well I'm trying to have us, in here at least, do the opposite. Instead of looking at the forest as a whole, pick out a few trees that look healthy. Ya, looking at the entire forest you can think "wow what an ugly, hopeless forest", but if you allow yourself to instead take a minute to glance at the individual healthy, even as sparse as they are, you might feel better. They might not be giant redwoods, but there are things out there to feel hopeful about.

I'm not asking people to be disillusion or pretend we're good... There's 100,000 threads in here where we're talking about how bad this team is as a whole. I just liked the idea of having one spot where we can say hey "Hey this is a good sign" even if we have to kind of grit our teeth to believe it.

Anyway, I do completely understand where you're coming from. We're all in the same boat... Just trying to keep this for the good stuff.

I like your attitude, but I've been beat down like many Jets fans for decades, and had many false hopes and no real progress.

I do like some of this Years rookies. 

Anderson.

Burris.

Shell.

Peake.

Jenkins.

We need to do a lot better in round 1 and 2, the mid low picks have been good. Hows that?

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I like your attitude, but I've been beat down like many Jets fans for decades, and had many false hopes and no real progress.

I do like some of this Years rookies. 

Anderson.

Burris.

Shell.

Peake.

Jenkins.

We need to do a lot better in round 1 and 2, the mid low picks have been good. Hows that?

Excellent! Trust me I know it's difficult but it sometimes this helps curb the despair a tiny bit. I'm only into my third decade of being beaten down.. And I guess the first one I really didn't notice.

But thank you for digging into your head and finding those!

And yes, we need to start hitting in the damn second round especially. To keep it optimistic I'll say that, statistically, they have to hit one of these drafts... It's like flipping a coin. It will land on heads eventually! Why not this draft?

On 1/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, DMan77 said:

There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread.

And you know what, that's rightfully so. Things are bad. This season was a disaster. It's hard to find any bright spots and we should be angry and we should feel defeated.

But that doesn't mean we can't find a little something to be optimistic about.

With so many threads being ruled by pessimism, I thought maybe we could have just one thread where we can focus on the good and the parts and pieces of this organisation that we can put even a tiny molecule of hope in, and not argue about if it's right or wrong to feel that way.

Let's just try and have a place where we can simply point out the good and the things that give us hope and optimism and not fight over if it's right or wrong or crazy, even if the things we find hope in are tiny or dim.

We all know what has and what could go wrong, but lets talk about what could go right, even if the odds are against us. Let's just have a place for a little while where we can lay out what might go right, and what the team could do if all goes perfectly, and not berate each other over it.

I know it's easy to be cynical and sarcastic in here. I know it's easy to scoff and roll our eyes at any thought of feeling hopeful... But I hope we can at least give it a try in one thread.

__

I'll go first and simply say that I really liked what I saw from Leonard Williams in the last few games and the last few weeks. I think he's poised to be a real leader in that clubhouse and a really productive player on the field. I could see him taking control over the attitudes in the locker room and keeping that DL focused, prepared, and playing well together as a team. I'm hopeful for that. I have no idea if good leadership translates to wins, but I know I'll be happier to see a better locker-room and have LW as the spokesmen for it. 

Death. You forgot death. 

On 1/3/2017 at 10:55 AM, DMan77 said:

There is a lot of anger, hopelessness, apathy, gloominess, defeatism, cynicism, and just a general sense of unhappiness around here lately, in pretty much every thread.

And you know what, that's rightfully so. Things are bad. This season was a disaster. It's hard to find any bright spots and we should be angry and we should feel defeated.

But that doesn't mean we can't find a little something to be optimistic about.

With so many threads being ruled by pessimism, I thought maybe we could have just one thread where we can focus on the good and the parts and pieces of this organisation that we can put even a tiny molecule of hope in, and not argue about if it's right or wrong to feel that way.

Let's just try and have a place where we can simply point out the good and the things that give us hope and optimism and not fight over if it's right or wrong or crazy, even if the things we find hope in are tiny or dim.

We all know what has and what could go wrong, but lets talk about what could go right, even if the odds are against us. Let's just have a place for a little while where we can lay out what might go right, and what the team could do if all goes perfectly, and not berate each other over it.

I know it's easy to be cynical and sarcastic in here. I know it's easy to scoff and roll our eyes at any thought of feeling hopeful... But I hope we can at least give it a try in one thread.

__

I'll go first and simply say that I really liked what I saw from Leonard Williams in the last few games and the last few weeks. I think he's poised to be a real leader in that clubhouse and a really productive player on the field. I could see him taking control over the attitudes in the locker room and keeping that DL focused, prepared, and playing well together as a team. I'm hopeful for that. I have no idea if good leadership translates to wins, but I know I'll be happier to see a better locker-room and have LW as the spokesmen for it. 

well after 50 years of misery.......in truth the optimistic thing is that they have some decent draft picks and will be clearing out some dead wood.  thing can also change pretty quickly in the nfl.  if bowles gets some coaches that can coach and they resolve the qb situation next season could be pretty good.

Hackenberg and I say that because now he can finally have a full off season to work on his mechanics.  Last off season he was spending all his time preparing for the draft and doing private workouts for 30 different teams. I believe the Jets will land a co-ordinator like Brad Childress who can run a pro style system which will put the hacksaw under centre,  and given that right now it is a possibility that by OTAs he Could be the only qb ready to go since petty just went under the knife, Hacksaw could get all the reps to himself and get a head start on petty for training camp. And it gives him an opportunity to build a good repoire with the new OC.  So that I am excited for. If he can play to his ability like his first season at Penn state. 

Also that Devon Smith is able to final get a full training camp under his belt,  I think he could have a season that Robby Anderson had this year. 

Lorenzo Maudlin was really coming on before his injury late in the year I think the game is slowing down now for him expect a big season from him next year. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, JiF said:

Leonard Williams is really really good at Football and Robbie Anderson is a potential stud.

I'll revisit this thread this time next year.

Thanks, 

Peake has nice possession receiver written all over him as well big target

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty... It's just one report from one website... But Charlie Campbell is a fairly well respected "outsider" reporter and information gatherer... He tends to hit on some early rumors and reports and at times seems to have some decent connections.

So take this with a grain of salt of course, because it's another "anonymous" source, but this is really the first positive thing I've seen, and this is an optimistic thread, so here you go:

" The scuttlebutt is that Christian Hackenberg has developed well behind the scenes, so perhaps the Jets won't give up on him without seeing him play after all."

"These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017. "

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know that it means anything as far as Hackenberg's development, but at least it means the team is spreading the right rumors for a change.

Right, and it sounds like it was potentially from more than one person... So at least it's maybe an organization wide narrative... 

21 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Alrighty... It's just one report from one website... But Charlie Campbell is a fairly well respected "outsider" reporter and information gatherer... He tends to hit on some early rumors and reports and at times seems to have some decent connections.

So take this with a grain of salt of course, because it's another "anonymous" source, but this is really the first positive thing I've seen, and this is an optimistic thread, so here you go:

" The scuttlebutt is that Christian Hackenberg has developed well behind the scenes, so perhaps the Jets won't give up on him without seeing him play after all."

"These sources also said that quarterback Christian Hackenberg developed well behind the scenes as a rookie. Citing Jared Goff with the Rams as an example of a quarterback playing before he was prepared, the Jets didn't want to force Hackenberg on the field before he was ready and end up doing damage to him. This analyst wouldn't be surprised if the Jets went the veteran quarterback route to compete and see how their young quarterbacks improve in 2017. "

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2017rumors2.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

I am curious to see which posters acknowledge this anonymous source's comments that "he has developed well behind the scenes," but refuse to acknowledge the anonymous sources that said, "he couldn't hit the ocean," and that "he'll never make it."

You cant just pick one side, positive guys.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am curious to see which posters acknowledge this anonymous source's comments that "he has developed well behind the scenes," but refuse to acknowledge the anonymous sources that said, "he couldn't hit the ocean," and that "he'll never make it."

Well hey, the world is how you observe it, and frankly the way I observe it around this forum as a whole tells me 99 out of 100 people will latch onto the "bad" comments instead of potential good ones... This place FEEDS off negativity, and that's fine, but I'd like this place to be a spot where people try and set aside the doom and gloom for a second.

I guess what I mean is I haven't seen many posters refuse to acknowledge the bad and only focus on the good... All I really see around here are people screaming that the sky is falling left and right... That's the norm. Trying to find a brightspot (no matter how small) is the exception around here. 

So I'm trying to keep a place where that is just a little bit flipped. 

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

By definition, are gutless.

• 3 weeks later...

"Anderson wasn't surprised by his early success"

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Anderson-Wasn’t-Surprised-by-His-Early-Success/0c3e374d-9873-4a08-8e72-0d13ffcef5b9

“Being successful in the NFL is not just about your physical attributes, it's more so about your brain and knowledge,” Anderson said. “The smarter you are as a football player along with your talent and physical traits takes you to a whole other level.”

I really think this kid has a great football mind and enough skill and talent to be a good player if he sticks with it... He really looked like he had a knack for getting open and making plays. Big offseason for him. 

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's one interview... But I feel so good hearing Mac say: "We're not going to necessarily mortgage the future for now"

It's just words right now. He could go out later and sign some 35 year old to a 6 year contract for all we know...

But I'm happy and optimistic and hopeful to just at least hear that the "future" is a subject they've discussed... It's nice to know they've sat down and evaluated the team and realized they need to do some long term planning here... I know people are really split on Mac, but I think this bodes well.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Permitted-to-Start-Negotiating-on-Tuesday/19f6a078-1f98-4137-a268-72f9dec813eb

I really feel as if they're going about doing this rebuild the right way.  I don't see them signing Glennon either.  I see them hopefully building a young talented team around whoever the QB of the future will be rather it be Petty/Hackenberg/Rosen/Darnold whoever...  I'm hoping once free agency gets kicked off we quickly snag Tony Jefferson and Mike Minter.  Add in one of the top CBs and I think we're in terrific shape to start.

On 1/25/2017 at 6:59 PM, section314 said:

Not arguing that . Be a man, and put your name on it. 

What if putting your name on it will have you putting your name on the unemployment register?

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It's clear you are fairly new here. It's okay. Your hope, positivity and spirit will be dulled, flattened out and then crushed into tiny little linebacker like pieces in that order, specially. Stick around.?

Haha, nah I'm good. I live 20 minutes from Gillette stadium. On a clear day I can hear noise from my house. I am surrounded on a daily basis by Pats fans who harass and gloat and mock the Jets in a way that's pretty comparable to what some people around here do...

If I can survive and stay a little positive in the heart of NE territory I can keep my head up around here too!

13 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Haha, nah I'm good. I live 20 minutes from Gillette stadium. On a clear day I can hear noise from my house. I am surrounded on a daily basis by Pats fans who harass and gloat and mock the Jets in a way that's pretty comparable to what some people around here do...

If I can survive and stay a little positive in the heart of NE territory I can keep my head up around here too!

Lol you are a soldier..that's for sure. On a serious note, so far Mac has done well by letting the right guys go. a lot of people thought he wouldn't have the balls to release Mangold and Revis or even Brandon Marshall for that matter. now all he has to do is sign a few younger and cheaper options that can compete on a high level..your Minters, Jefferson's, Logan Ryan's and he should be set to go BPA in the draft. If he nails that then we are well on our way. I like Macc a lot opposed to what others may think of him. He's clearly competent as a GM despite a few mistakes along the way. It's a process we just have to trust. From the second we got Favre we have been putting Band-Aids on most of our issues especially the quarterback position and it worked for about two years, but set us back five or six years. I'm glad a general manager finally sees what we have to do, and that's hit the reset button and build back up. You seen teams like Seattle and Denver or hell even Atlanta have a few bad years for the greater good, it's our turn now.

Archived