Chan retires, 5 coaches fired.

southtown24th

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets announced today that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is retiring and Todd Bowles informed five coaches that they will not return: QBs coach Kevin Patullo, RBs coach Marcel Shipp, DL coach Pepper Johnson, OLBs coach Mark Collins and DBs coach Joe Danna.

“I informed Coach Bowles prior to the 2016 season that I would retire after this season,” Gailey said in a statement. “I thought it was best to tell him early, so that he could begin to think about how he would move the team forward on offense. While we did not have the season we all wanted to have, I think there are some great people here at the Jets and in the New York/New Jersey area. I wish them all the best moving forward.”

Gailey, who also worked as an offensive coordinator with Kansas City, Miami and Pittsburgh, had NFL head-coaching roles with the Buffalo Bills (2010-12) and the Dallas Cowboys (1998-99). After playing collegiately at Florida from 1971-73 and spending two years as a Gators graduate assistant, Gailey was an assistant coach at Air Force and Troy. He also served as head coach at Troy (1983-84), Samford (1993) and Georgia Tech (2002-07).

In 2015, Gailey coordinated an offense that amassed a franchise-record 5,925 yards and scored 387 points, the most in a season since 1998.

“I’m grateful to Chan for joining our coaching staff and enjoyed working with him,” said Bowles. “The respect that I have for him as a person and a coach only increased during our time together.”

Patullo, Shipp, Johnson, Collins and Danna each were on Bowles’ staff for the past two years.

“I appreciate all of their hard work and commitment and wish them the best,” said Bowles.

did not take long.

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

So... Rodgers is back and has full control of the D.

1st pick in the draft is a real possibility.

That has to be strategy. Bowles is keeping around one buddy, which is fine. He should have a friend around to console him after each of his 16 losses next season. 

Sam Darnold here we come!!!

Didn't Bowles hire these guys?  So how exactly am I supposed to interpret this?

That Bowles picked the wrong assistant coaches?

Or that Bowles is scapegoating others for his failures?

Or both?

All of the possible answers still point to incompetence.

patullo the QB coach fired too. So Petty and Hack will have new OC and new Qb coach. DL and DBs were awful so can't argue with those changes. Rodgers the bum stays of course. If defense sucks this bad again next yr and team collapses again then Toilet will be flushed. 

Just now, RoadFan said:

Bowles is scapegoating others for his failures?

Or both?

When it was reported that changes were coming to the defensive staff, what were you expecting?

Just now, RoadFan said:

Or that Bowles is scapegoating others for his failures?

Or both?

Toilet is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic, he is going down unless the team shows dramatic improvement next year. 

Archived