Chan retires, 5 coaches fired.

southtown24th

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Gailey was way, way down the decision making hierarchy and likely had little to no roster input.   If you want to assign blame for the TE debacle look at Macc not Gailey.   who was he supposed to target, Kellen Davis?   the ball hit him in the helmut when they tried to throw it to him. 

I asked the same question and am still waiting for an answer......

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Gailey was way, way down the decision making hierarchy and likely had little to no roster input.   If you want to assign blame for the TE debacle look at Macc not Gailey.   who was he supposed to target, Kellen Davis?   the ball hit him in the helmut when they tried to throw it to him. 

All I heard all year was "Gailey's offense doesn't use the TE".   I think him belittling/misunderstanding the position caused us not to sign guys.

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Five Jets assistants fired: QBs Kevin Patullo, RBs Marcel Shipp, DL Pepper Johnson, OLBs Mark Collins, DBs Joe... es.pn/2izZCqM.  

From nyj twitter. 

I thought Patullo was rumored to be taking over the OC position?

52 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmmm  I see...

Which TE on the Jets roster do you feel has been held back by Chan and which competent QB has he held back as well?

Sorry Chuck; missed your question/post.  Rushed, bad writing on my part.  Was trying to say that Gailey does not use TEs, which I think is idiotic.  Not holding anyone back. On our roster, who the fuk could that possibly have been?  Nobody. 

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And if DiFilippo comes here, I would not be surprised to see Josh McCown follow him.

Had a solid statistical year under DiFilippo's coordination in 2015

Great, that worked out well for us the last time our OC was paired up with a veteran JAG QB that had previous success with. :-)

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Retirement just seems convenient. My guess (pure speculation) is that he does not come back anywhere, that this year sapped all his energies, and said that was it. He and the Jets came to agreement. 

The only thing that would sway me, if the Jets were to announce their new coordinator in coming days. If they had all this lead time, then they certainly would have put their feelers out and been secure in follow-up. I doubt that is the case.

Yeah I agree. It doesn't feel like they had that much lead time.

I hope its McCoy. But I'd be satisfied with DiFilippo. McCoy will have his pick of places to be a coordinator, and this should be top of his list, because the head coach will have a great chance of being fired during the season next year and he would be the head coach in waiting.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Do you trust bowles to hire someone that is good at his job?

There is no other choice. I will judge the hire, when it is announced. Then, we can evaluate that hire after we have seen results.

It is not wise to knee jerk either positively or negatively on every aspect of coaches and personnel until they can be measured by results. I know that is sacrelige in this message board world

For what it's worth

Carson Palmer views Browns OC John DeFilippo as head-coach material, 49ers are giving him interview for their job
Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has suitors, and the quarterbacks who have been tutored by him aren't surprised.
DeFilippo is interviewing with the San Francisco 49ers for their head-coaching vacancy on Friday, and he has received permission to meet with the St. Louis Rams early next week about their offensive coordinator position, a source familiar with the situation confirmed.
DeFilippo, 37, became the offensive coordinator of the Browns last year after Kyle Shanahan resigned from the same post with two years left on a three-year contract.
This season was DeFilippo's first as an NFL coordinator, but Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer has viewed him as head-coaching material for a long time. Before DeFilippo joined the Browns, his second tour as quarterbacks coach of the Oakland Raiders spanned 2012-14. Palmer played for him 2012 before the Raiders traded the veteran to the Cardinals.
"You knew it right away. You could see it right away. You could see a potential head coach," Palmer said of DeFilippo during a conference call in October. "Just his whole philosophy and the way he saw the game, you could tell he is going to be a great coordinator. I have had a chance, just because we are playing against a bunch of AFC North teams, I have seen Cleveland on offense a number of times.
"He is doing a great job. He gets the ball out of the quarterback’s hand. He does lots of screens. They run the ball effectively. He takes his shots. Always been a big fan since we had the chance to work together, and I have enjoyed watching them play on offense because he is doing a great job."
Under DeFilippo's command, the Browns' rankings were not impressive. They finished 25th in total offense (331.9 yards per game) and 30th in scoring (17.4 points per game). They ranked 21st in passing (236.4) and 22nd in rushing (95.6).
But their 4,155 passing yards were the fourth-most in franchise history. They also compiled at least 4,000 passing yards and 1,500 rushing yards in a single season for the fourth time in team history, accomplishing the feat in 1980, 1981 and 1986.
Although the running game disappeared for the vast majority of DeFilippo's only season with the Browns, its strong finish reflects well on the Youngstown native. In the last quarter of the season, the team averaged 160.5 rushing yards per game.
"I love Flip," Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, who spent his rookie season with DeFilippo, said during a conference call in September. "He was huge in my development, working with me every day, spending extra hours with me here at the building. He’s a guy that I could keep going for 10 minutes about. I have too many good things to say about him. I’d take all of our time here. The nicest things that I could say about Flip I would because he means the world to me, and he knows that."

58 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'm not really sure how I would feel about this candidate either way, but no team worth anything blocks their assistants from interviewing for a promotion, especially one with a team that's in the other conference and your team isn't even in the playoffs.  If the Jets want to, I'm sure they'll easily get their interview.

This actually happens all the time, you know... when teams want to keep them under contract because they are good!

Just now, C Mart said:

Yours for one...Basing his ability on one year in Cleveland?

At least the other guy that quoted me understood it was a joke.

I'm critical because they are looking to give a guy with very minimal NFL OC experience the reigns.  At least McCoy has HC experience and I'd assume would demand more respect than a 38 year old 1st timer.  

This team is a ******* greek tragedy.  You'll have to bear with me if I feel like voicing my disdain for them on the heels of a pathetic season.  I've earned that right.

I'm out of order?  YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER!  

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

DeFlippios QB resume:

Jamarcus Russell

Mark Sanchez

Terrel Pryor

Derek Carr

Johnny Manzel

Carson Wentz

Russell was doomed from the start for his head.  Mechanically, he wasn't horrendous.  Cannon with good feet and compact motion.

The year Sanchez had DeFilippo as his QB coach, he had beautiful footwork and a gorgeous throwing motion.  Then Rex canned him for his Baltimore Butt Buddy, Matt Cavanaugh, and Sanchez regressed.

Pryor had no business being pushed as a QB. Don't know any coach that could make him a star at that position.

Carr is the next big thing in NFL. Good work there.

I would put McCown on that list over Johnny Rehab. 

Did a wonderful job with Wentz.

All in all, I think I'd prefer McCoy at this stage, but this wouldn't be a bad hire.

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry Chuck; missed your question/post.  Rushed, bad writing on my part.  Was trying to say that Gailey does not use TEs, which I think is idiotic.  Not holding anyone back. On our roster, who the fuk could that possibly have been?  Nobody. 

Thanks.... :) 

Well you got what you wished... all I can say is I hope that they pick someone better and can reward your faith.....

27 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I thought Patullo was rumored to be taking over the OC position?

This was pure speculation by fans and maybe the media due to Patullo's ties to Gailey.  Its obvious though that Patullo a WR coach converted to QB coach was not successful at his job.

Archived