Per Manish, but worth a thread on Hackenberg's future

Matt39

Speaking to the New York Daily News, a Jets source says second-round rookie Christian Hackenberg will "never make it."

"Never," the source emphasized. Hackenberg was a topic of discussion on Thursday after owner Woody Johnson called him a "prospect." Reporter Manish Mehta says he recently asked an anonymous Jets starter if Hackenberg was worth a second-round pick and received a curt "no" in reply. The fact that Hackenberg couldn't get on the field in a lost year where Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty were all either injured or ineffective — usually at the same time — says all there is to know about Hack's NFL future.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Why isn't Macc being held accountable AT ALL for using a second round pick on him, especially when so many better players were drafted after him? And

2) Okay, he hasn't shown a lot of development in practice but there still hasn't been a rational explanation given for why you wouldn't give Hack ANY game time snaps during a lost year, especially when you used a second round pick on him. 

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

This is going to turn out to be Gailey or the fired QB coach.

Not big on Hack, but these guys need to shut their mouths, doesn't sound good for the kid, but geez don't make things harder for him

Chan doesnt seem like he is full of this...prob the QB coach.

Jets OC: “The sky’s the limit” for Christian Hackenberg

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 1: Christian Hackenberg #5 of the New York Jets throws a pass in the second quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on September 1, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)Getty Images

As the Jets have floundered about at quarterback this season, the guy they spent a second-round pick on hasn’t been a factor at all.

But Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey objected to classifying rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg as a “mystery,” and offered what amounts to the most vigorous defense to date of a guy who has become an afterthought behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty.

“I don’t like that word,” Gailey said, via Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News. “I think he’s a developmental player at this point. There’s a lot of talent there. The sky’s the limit.”

The Jets are as curious about his potential as anyone, but since he’s third on the depth chart, he gets so few reps in practice that they can’t accurately measure his progress.

“He gets scout team reps and that’s what he gets,” Gailey said. “He gets the pre-practice individual throws. He’s learning every day about when to throw the ball, how to throw the ball. Up here it’s different than it is in college. He’s learning a great deal.

“To me, he’s gotten better every week. He understands the game better. He understands the defenses better. He understands protections better. That’s all a part of the growth process.”

And the Jets seem content to wait to see the growth at another time, rather than rolling him out in a lost season.

Just now, HessStation said:

If Hackenberg never materizes I kinda really am looking at Macaggnan as a total ******* hack. 

If hack never becomes a start worthy NFL QB, even a high level backup...Mac should get fired. When you go against the grain, you better be the smartest guy in the room.

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Speaking to the New York Daily News, a Jets source says second-round rookie Christian Hackenberg will "never make it."

"Never," the source emphasized. Hackenberg was a topic of discussion on Thursday after owner Woody Johnson called him a "prospect." Reporter Manish Mehta says he recently asked an anonymous Jets starter if Hackenberg was worth a second-round pick and received a curt "no" in reply. The fact that Hackenberg couldn't get on the field in a lost year where Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty were all either injured or ineffective — usually at the same time — says all there is to know about Hack's NFL future.

i guess manish the moron hasn't read the program.  as i understand it there was absolutely no way the jets were going to play hack this season regardless so why is this moron so surprised?  he shouldn't be.  and as far as i'm concerned more than an anonymous jets source needs to say something about hack for it to be believed.  i don't think mac is such a bad talent evaluator that he would've selected hack without some idea about the guy's talent.

9 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Is Woody too stupid to even realize this? Why would Trump have Woody represent America in England when he is this stupid????

Cause F those Lim*y Ba$t*rds ... We kicked their *$$es back in '76 !

I'm struggling to see how an another "anonymous source" thread was necessary after the other "anonymous source" thread.  We have no idea what he's going to look like after an offseason and work with new coaching. If he still burns out, then address the issue with a first round QB next year.  Until then, all this "anonymous source" stuff is pointless.

2 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

If hack was any good they would have played him

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I don't agree. I do not think they saw any benefit to putting him out there with an OL full of third stringers and a bunch of veterans going through the motions. thats what you call high risk low reward.

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Hackenberg has to make it. Dude looks too much like a QB. Like never before has anyone looked more like a QB than Christian Hackenberg. Like, God made that dude to be a QB. Seriously what else is he gonna do besides model for men's suits. 

Image result for ny jets help wanted

i will say one more thing....if they go into next year with the same develop him attitude all bets are off. He has to play next year in some capacity, maybe backup with major preseason reps, maybe starter....whatever...next year is the year for him to show something.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i guess manish the moron hasn't read the program.  as i understand it there was absolutely no way the jets were going to play hack this season regardless so why is this moron so surprised?  he shouldn't be.  and as far as i'm concerned more than an anonymous jets source needs to say something about hack for it to be believed.  i don't think mac is such a bad talent evaluator that he would've selected hack without some idea about the guy's talent.

I think because things change.  When the "redshirt" statement was made, I think the expectation is that Fitz would perform at least solidly, and we'd be in wildcard contention.  Had he and had we, the Hack narrative would be quite different, I believe.  While plenty, myself included, would still not have high hopes for the kid, you wouldn't be in a situation where the starter plays poorly, the backup gets hurt immediately, the starter continues to play poorly, the season ends in early November, the 3rd string plays poorly and then gets hurt, and you still don't play Hackenberg.  Yes, everyone knows he needs time, and no one was expecting a savior this year, but when the QB situation is so incredibly bad around him, and you still don't give him garbage time minutes, where there's no pressure to succeed.  That is going to raise some questions, none of which paint Hackenberg in a positive light.

Just now, gEYno said:

I think because things change.  When the "redshirt" statement was made, I think the expectation is that Fitz would perform at least solidly, and we'd be in wildcard contention.  Had he and had we, the Hack narrative would be quite different, I believe.  While plenty, myself included, would still not have high hopes for the kid, you wouldn't be in a situation where the starter plays poorly, the backup gets hurt immediately, the starter continues to play poorly, the season ends in early November, the 3rd string plays poorly and then gets hurt, and you still don't play Hackenberg.  Yes, everyone knows he needs time, and no one was expecting a savior this year, but when the QB situation is so incredibly bad around him, and you still don't give him garbage time minutes, where there's no pressure to succeed.  That is going to raise some questions, none of which paint Hackenberg in a positive light.

okay, i think everyone gets that, but rarely do teams start a rookie back up or even play a back up unless a game is in garbage time or something like that.  i'm like every other fan thinking that hack as a 2nd rounder should play at some point but as the season played out there was no point in putting into a hopeless situation.  imo maybe bowles knew very well about his locker room and let fitz play the whole drama out.

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i will say one more thing....if they go into next year with the same develop him attitude all bets are off. He has to play next year in some capacity, maybe backup with major preseason reps, maybe starter....whatever...next year is the year for him to show something.

Totally agree. Hack needs to be in the mix for at least the back up job, or this is an epic failure of a pick.

Archived