Jets have to re-sign Geno

Freemanm

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

What other options do we have beyond that? 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

3 runs up the middle, then punt

Seriously saw people on Geno's twitter TL the other day begging him to re-sign with the Jets, one person (I'm assuming it was a person) said something along the lines of "we need you back so you can do your thing GOAT".

Yes...GOAT, not like the animal, but as in "greatest of all time".

Twice voted worst starting QB in the NFL and people think he belongs in the HOF. 

Some people.

58 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Seriously saw people on Geno's twitter TL the other day begging him to re-sign with the Jets, one person (I'm assuming it was a person) said something along the lines of "we need you back so you can do your thing GOAT".

Yes...GOAT, not like the animal, but as in "greatest of all time".

Twice voted worst starting QB in the NFL and people think he belongs in the HOF. 

Some people.

Those are NEP fans

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

He just happened to be the best QB on the 2016 disaster, er um roster

On a pure talent basis (current roster) I see your point.  If he comes back, he's the most ready QB next season.  It just doesn't make long term sense for the Jets because it certainly seems like they don't see him as a long term franchise QB.   He will go somewhere else and be better because no one was doing good with his surrounding cast.  However, the Jets need to stick to their youth movement, and go Petty/Hackenberg.  If they work out, have basically 2-3 years of a cost controlled young QB, and a future guy.  If not, we need to tank badly enough that we get a top pick in the draft next year.

Bringing Geno is going in the middle, because he will be better than his prior stats to the point that it might swing a couple of games for us, which will be useless.  

If you resign Geno:

A)  Short term contract- More safety for us, but if he's even remotely good, then you have to over-pay for him as a free agent.

B- Long term contract- More safety for him, but we have to assume he will be good with better surrounding cast over the long run.  

Both of these scenario's are risky for us.  This was the same argument I made for Geno last year in the Fitzpatrick negotiations.  It made no sense to bring him back, because long term Fitz wasn't going to be here cheap.  Same with Geno.  Unless he takes a short term deal worth little money (very small chance of this), I don't see them bringing him back.  However, he would be the best option of the three (Petty and Hackenberg) if he's back, but it might not be enough to push the team over.  

If we were competing for next year as a win now team, I would bring him back.   

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

You need to take your medication as prescribed.  

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

On a pure talent basis (current roster) I see your point.  If he comes back, he's the most ready QB next season.  It just doesn't make long term sense for the Jets because it certainly seems like they don't see him as a long term franchise QB.   He will go somewhere else and be better because no one was doing good with his surrounding cast.  However, the Jets need to stick to their youth movement, and go Petty/Hackenberg.  If they work out, have basically 2-3 years of a cost controlled young QB, and a future guy.  If not, we need to tank badly enough that we get a top pick in the draft next year.

Bringing Geno is going in the middle, because he will be better than his prior stats to the point that it might swing a couple of games for us, which will be useless.  

If you resign Geno:

A)  Short term contract- More safety for us, but if he's even remotely good, then you have to over-pay for him as a free agent.

B- Long term contract- More safety for him, but we have to assume he will be good with better surrounding cast over the long run.  

Both of these scenario's are risky for us.  This was the same argument I made for Geno last year in the Fitzpatrick negotiations.  It made no sense to bring him back, because long term Fitz wasn't going to be here cheap.  Same with Geno.  Unless he takes a short term deal worth little money (very small chance of this), I don't see them bringing him back.  However, he would be the best option of the three (Petty and Hackenberg) if he's back, but it might not be enough to push the team over.  

If we were competing for next year as a win now team, I would bring him back.   

Geno is going to get better? Might not be enough to push the team over? Is this serious or am I missing a whole bunch of sarcasm?

Let's forget that he's coming off a major surgery and is a bad, turnover quarterback on the field who makes the same terrible decisions as a 4th Year player that he did when he was a rookie. He's also a malcontent and one of the things wrong with the Jets locker room. They need a culture change big time and he's one of the first that needs to go. It's time to admit he's a bad player and move on. There is no benefit to bringing him back at all and it's obvious this regime won't do it. You're likelier to see Fitz back. 

The Jets will not want him back, and I can't believe that Fitzpatrick would want to come back.

The negotiation tone that was set this off-season, poisoned this team:

-The Jets should have held a hard line, with a hard date (sooner than camp), and been ready to walk away. They now have a perceived stance that they will yield to players and demands. 

-Players openly lobbied for the signing. A sure sign of Jet employees speaking out of turn, which has continued.

-A signal that the players are controlling the locker room. This with the Richardson and Wilkerson situations, means there needs to be a clamp down.

No, the Jets do not need to re-sign Fitzpatrick. It will be a further signal to players that we will allow you to slip in performance, regardless of that, we will then keep you around. 

The Jets sucked with Fitzpatrick, they can suck without him. They need to start treating business matters like a business that can make hard decisions, rather than mollifying feelings. That will send the strongest message that can be sent this offseason/

If we were to bring in a quarterback it has to be someone who can potentially be our long term starter. Either Petty/Hackenberg, bringing back Geno, signing Tyrod (if they let him go), signing Cousins, trading for a McCarron, or signing Glennon. Imo these should be our options. Fitzpatrick is not a long term solution and we need to begin to find that long term starting quarterback, no more stopgaps. 

7 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets will not want him back, and I can't believe that Fitzpatrick would want to come back.

The negotiation tone that was set this off-season, poisoned this team:

-The Jets should have held a hard line, with a hard date (sooner than camp), and been ready to walk away. They now have a perceived stance that they will yield to players and demands. 

-Players openly lobbied for the signing. A sure sign of Jet employees speaking out of turn, which has continued.

-A signal that the players are controlling the locker room. This with the Richardson and Wilkerson situations, means there needs to be a clamp down.

No, the Jets do not need to re-sign Fitzpatrick. It will be a further signal to players that we will allow you to slip in performance, regardless of that, we will then keep you around. 

The Jets sucked with Fitzpatrick, they can suck without him. They need to start treating business matters like a business that can make hard decisions, rather than mollifying feelings. That will send the strongest message that can be sent this offseason/

Well put.

Not to mention it doesn't address the actual goal here: to get better play from the QB position than Ryan Fitzpatrick can provide. IMO he's a fine backup to a team that has its starting QB in place.

Hold the fort type short-term starters...I can live with that on offense in almost any position if they are in place to protect and further the on-field development of a young QB (i.e. give him a best effort for a solid enough line, solid targets [which we have], and a running game that defenses can't just ignore). To waste that on Ryan Fitzpatrick is just that: a waste. 

But all that is just a generic philosophy. Specific to this player, the Jets cannot re-sign him for the reasons you outlined. And he's not the only one that has to go.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Geno. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Fitz. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

Well played, sir!

Archived