Jets have to re-sign Geno

Freemanm

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

As far as age, let me put it this way, I remember Super Bowl III. LOL!   I would agree with you if Petty or Hackenberg were true "can't miss" prospects.  While I do not believe that Mac has given up on Hackenberg it is obvious he is a long term "project." Gone are the days when a regime has 5 year to build a team ala Walt Michaels.  In this day and age of social media and PSLs fans and owners are not patient regardless of public redoric.  The Jets cannot go 5-11 as they did this year with Mac/Bowles surviving.  Bowles may be a "questionable" HC, but he isn't stupid and neither is Mac, they will bring in a vet QB who has the ability to start and instantly improve this team, IMHO.

LOL, I now understand your age and what you've suffered through.

With our GM having so much invested in his belief in Hackenberg and Petty I can't see him relegating them to the dustbin and drafting another quarterback, not with all the needs we have all over the field.  I can't see us affording a blue-chip free agent QB nor can I see one of them even wanting to come here with so much uncertainty.  No matter what head coach we have here next year and no matter what quarterback we have here next year, we are going 5-11 again.  It's what we are right now.

Add it all up, it's a Hack/Petty year with a #3 who is a non-threatening veteran.  It's why I think Fitz will be a good fit.  He did it this year.  Didn't make a fuss.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, TNJet said:

If you want to keep supporting the worst statistical QB in the league in 2016 I guess that's cool. I just have no love for this guy and never will. Last year was a nice Cinderella story but he will never duplicate that success.

Please learn to read.  I am not a Fitzpatrick fan.  I don't want him on the team.  I am not "supporting" him.  I don't think he gets a snap on a football field ever again, let alone "duplicate his past success".  Be real.

I am merely saying that a team in our position will need a #3 quarterback that's a veteran on the tail end of his career to act as a mentor without an agenda.  Say what you will about Fitzpatrick's body of work in New York, but Hack and Petty like him and it wouldn't hurt to have a little stability in the quarterback room 5 days a week at practice.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Please learn to read.  I am not a Fitzpatrick fan.  I don't want him on the team.  I am not "supporting" him.  I don't think he gets a snap on a football field ever again, let alone "duplicate his past success".  Be real.

I am merely saying that a team in our position will need a #3 quarterback that's a veteran on the tail end of his career to act as a mentor without an agenda.  Say what you will about Fitzpatrick's body of work in New York, but Hack and Petty like him and it wouldn't hurt to have a little stability in the quarterback room 5 days a week at practice.

SAR I

If this bum is back I will be more upset AS if we losT to new England.

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Gut feeling, Fitz ends up in Dallas as Dac Prescott's backup. 

Sanchez has a good relationship with Dak and is inexpensive and has lots of experience. Plus they have the Boise State guy coming back. I could see Fitz signing a deal like he had with the Jets (his Houston contract) like 7 mil for 2 years maybe with incentives if he starts. Not sure what team maybe even the Giants, 49ers if their new head coach likes him. The reason I say Giants is he's publicly stated he doesn't want to move again because of his family. Not sure what the Giants org thinks about Nassib. 

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Another off season of this garbage .

I would love to tell you that the Myhero's will stop once Geno lands with another team, but since that will never happen they are going to keep carrying the torch and this could go on for years. 

SAR I

On 1/6/2017 at 11:45 PM, Freemanm said:

Yes, the Jets QB situation is this bad. The team basically has no choice but to re-sign Geno Smith. Fitz sucks and is almost certain to be let go. I'm not that into college football, but even if DeShaun Watson falls to number six, the stats say that he's a turnover machine and wouldn't be ready on starting day. Speaking of turnover machines though, he would still probably be better than Fitz. Unless the Jets sign a big name free agent or swing a deal for, say, Mike Glennon, there's really no one left but Smith. Petty hasn't shown that he's a starter, and as we all know, Hackenburg probably still won't get playing time. 

What other options do we have beyond that? 

Pls just stop

30 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Another off season of this garbage .

I would love to tell you that the Myhero's will stop once Geno lands with another team, but since that will never happen they are going to keep carrying the torch and this could go on for years. 

SAR I

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's not simplifying anything, that's just more of your misinformation.

You are quoting Ryan Fitzpatrick a year ago when he was publicly posturing for a starting job coming off of a very successful 2015 season.  Show me the quote from the past two weeks where Ryan Fitzpatrick is demanding a starting NFL job or thinks he's even worthy of it. 

This is what Ryan said in his conference before the Bills game:

“I don’t think any of us expected this, I don’t know outside looking in what people expected, but it’s tough. The way that it’s gone, and for me, especially my playing and things I could’ve done better, that’s what makes this so hard.”

“I still enjoy playing, I still like being out there and competing. My boys are getting old enough now, where it’s kind of cool and fun for them to come to the games. I think as long as I still enjoy doing it, then I’ll keep doing it.”

And this is what Ryan said after his last game with the Jets:

“It was a season I came in with high expectations, I didn’t meet my own expectations or anyone else’s, probably. But mine are probably higher than everybody else’s. So there’s some disappointment there. But that’s just the way it went.”

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with what goes on here, with what goes on in my career, I don’t want to speculate about it.”

Wow.  Such a demanding guy.  Do everyone a favor and stick to facts not your recollection of what the guy said during a contract dispute last year.

SAR I

"

The biggest thing in this game -- to last -- is to have belief in yourself," Fitzpatrick, who entered the game in relief after being benched the week before in favor of Geno Smith, said. "Because when the owner stops believing in you and the GM stops believing in you and the coaches stop believing in you, sometimes all you have is yourself. That's kind of something I've dealt with before and something I'm dealing with now."

"I think it's not easy but my teammates believing in me is a big thing. I think their opinion of me is kind of what drives me and what matters so I know I still have that belief in the huddle and that is what matters to me. You know, it's not the easiest thing -- I'm human -- it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. But it's something I've dealt with and again, I'm just relying on my support system and believe in myself."

Fitzpatrick on getting a look at the future, Bryce Petty: "looking at my situation, I don't really care about the big picture."

based on these quotes does this sound like someone who would be okay with being a backup? And btw these statements were from during the season. Not the offseason.

8 minutes ago, August said:

based on these quotes does this sound like someone who would be okay with being a backup? And btw these statements were from during the season. Not the offseason.

Geno Smith is still black. 

SAR I

"Maccagnan, speaking on WFAN radio, said Smith is scheduled to return "some time around the start of next season." That would preclude him from participating in an offseason program -- if he signs a free-agent contract by then. If the Jets are interested in re-signing Smith -- it's a long shot -- this timetable wouldn't be ideal, especially with a new coordinator and a new system."

This was from a Cimini article. It has Macc insinuating that Geno won't be ready for training camp (for anyone). Like I said before. He's going to have a hard time finding a job. And he won't have the benefit of knowing the new system either, something Geno lovers touted when saying to bring him back. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who finds a job first Geno or Beard suck. 

Fitzpatrick, because he is not injured.

If the Jets believe that if they push the 2 of Hack and Petty one of them can start while they continue to strategically draft another QB, Fitz can work next year as a 2 or 3.  He will help the Jets draft high next year, if he has to play.

If the Jets, particularly the new OC, believe that neither of Hack or Petty can be as good as Siemian or Osweiler, for example, they need to sign a better veteran than Fitz.  I would go with a Hoyer, not a Cutler.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Fitzpatrick, because he is not injured.

If the Jets believe that if they push the 2 of Hack and Petty one of them can start while they continue to strategically draft another QB, Fitz can work next year as a 2 or 3.  He will help the Jets draft high next year, if he has to play.

If the Jets, particularly the new OC, believe that neither of Hack or Petty can be as good as Siemian or Osweiler, for example, they need to sign a better veteran than Fitz.  I would go with a Hoyer, not a Cutler.

No way in hell beard suck returns here no way in hell. 

51 minutes ago, August said:

Is any qb in the history of the NFL ok with just being a backup? No, but they are grown ups who accepted reality.. Wether fitz likes it or not that is his reality no question.. He can watch games from the sidelines and get paid 2 million, or watch on his couch for free..

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

"Maccagnan, speaking on WFAN radio, said Smith is scheduled to return "some time around the start of next season." That would preclude him from participating in an offseason program -- if he signs a free-agent contract by then. If the Jets are interested in re-signing Smith -- it's a long shot -- this timetable wouldn't be ideal, especially with a new coordinator and a new system."

This was from a Cimini article. It has Macc insinuating that Geno won't be ready for training camp (for anyone). Like I said before. He's going to have a hard time finding a job. And he won't have the benefit of knowing the new system either, something Geno lovers touted when saying to bring him back. 

Next yr is going to be just as bad, regardless of who is at qb.. I'd rather see a little more of petty and definitely want to see hackenberg show what they got before going into the rich qb draft of 2018.. Of course Mac may try to shield his red shirt once again next yr, thus leaving how to draft in 18 more complex. So signing geno for peanuts to be the #3 is not a big deal.. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Is any qb in the history of the NFL ok with just being a backup? No, but they are grown ups who accepted reality.. Wether fitz likes it or not that is his reality no question.. He can watch games from the sidelines and get paid 2 million, or watch on his couch for free..

Good post.

Mark Brunell played for the Redskins, Saints, and Jets and over a five-year period when his starting days were over cleared north of $10 million to do nothing but hold a clipboard and crack jokes.

It's the easiest gig in professional sports, buys individual homes and boats for his kids, and lets them continue their education without being uprooted to another school system. 

SAR I

25 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I'm aware of this. I'm simply debunking a lie that was posted in here. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is still black. 

SAR I

What the **** is this supposed to mean?  Are you implying that Geno is a malcontent because he is black? What is the meaning of this statement? Did I miss something? EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

What the **** is this supposed to mean?  Are you implying that Geno is a malcontent because he is black? What is the meaning of this statement? Did I miss something? EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

he is trolling

I think this QB thing is an art, not a science.

Elway and the Broncos built a solid team with WRs, LB, OL and CBs, and then won a Super Bowl by buying the last few years of one of the best QBs ever at only a portion of his peak.  But he could thrown downfield and not mess up.

Super Bowl.

If the Jets thought they had a Starting QB on staff, then they plug.  Hack is the wild card.  Those who know more than me think that Petty may be hopeless.

If the team was getting there, maybe you sign a Cutler or Romo for 3 and hope for a run, like the Jets did with Testaverde.

But after the last 2 years, the Jets still are fundamentally flawed.  Paying real money for a FA QB NOW just does not make sense. Even a Glennon or Cousins.  The draft pick is worth a lot more than trying to compete in 2017 or even 2018.

So let's say the Jets can draft a franchise QB in 2017.  Let Petty and Hack play out their contracts, push themselves and the new draft pick, and then hopefully the draft pick does not have to start in 2017.   Maybe one of them earns the Jets serious trade compensation or even a draft pick.  

That just seems to make much sense than signing a Romo, Cutler or Kaepernick.

The lines have to be rebuilt. Let Petty and Hack take their lumps, maybe one proves he is tough enough and has the equipment to be the one. Sign a vet. Unfortunately next year will not be pretty but Geno adds nothing that would turn this thing around

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I will issue my official explanation at 10:00 EST. 

Are you allowed to stay up that late?

SAR I

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This seems so obvious, yet Fitz has made a career out of somehow fooling gullible teams and fans into starting and paying him accordingly.

I'd say you're right that the guy will have to be a backup or retire, but I'm beginning to learn that I overestimate humanity.  Some sucker GM/coach/fan base may very well fall for it again.

Or the NY Jets will have the honor of being the fools who last bought into Fitz and his scam.  You'd think no teams wanting Fitz during the 2016 offseason would have been somewhat of a clue. 

Smh, re-signing him was, so... phucking... stupid.

18 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

This seems so obvious, yet Fitz has made a career out of somehow fooling gullible teams and fans into starting and paying him accordingly.

I'd say you're right that the guy will have to be a backup or retire, but I'm beginning to learn that I overestimate humanity.  Some sucker GM/coach/fan base may very well fall for it again.

Or the NY Jets will have the honor of being the fools who last bought into Fitz and his scam.  You'd think no teams wanting Fitz during the 2016 offseason would have been somewhat of a clue. 

Smh, re-signing him was, so... phucking... stupid.

But imagine if we went 5-11 with Geno and Petty? What would people say? Exactly. I'm glad they brought him back. The team sucked with him starting. 

8 minutes ago, August said:

But imagine if we went 5-11 with Geno and Petty? What would people say? Exactly. I'm glad they brought him back. The team sucked with him starting. 

I guess if the goal is to purely rebuild like the Browns (who did sign RG III), you just let it roll with what you have?

12 minutes ago, August said:

True, and that is a small consolation.  But think about it a bit more.

It seems you're saying you're glad we sucked with Fitz so it could prove to the fools that wanted him back that Fitz did in deed suck.  Then what?  You're thinking the fools will learn something and not make a similar mistake again?

If that's the case, ok, works for me.  Sacrifice a season to educate the GM/coach/fans.  

However this is where overestimating humanity comes into play.  Do you really think most learned anything?  

Sadly, I don't.  It may boil down to simply saying "ya can't fix stupid".

Archived