Mitch Trubisky, UNC, QB - Game Tape

LAD_Brooklyn

Trubisky, 6-3, 220-pounder, completed 68.2 percent of his passes for 3,748 yards, 30 touchdowns and only six interceptions in his first full season as a starter. Instead of highlights, lets take a look at his game film from the broadcast view point.

W 37-36 vs Pitt, Passed for 35-46 (76.1%), 453 yards, 5 TD, 0 Int

W 37-35 @ FSU, Passed for 31-38 (81.6), 405 yards, 3 TD, 0 Int

L 3-34 vs 13-33 (39.4), 58 yards, 0 TD, 2 Int

W 20-13 @ Miami, Passed 33-46 (71.7), 2 TD, 0 Int

W 35-14 @ Virginia, Passed 24-31 (77.4), 3 TD, Int 0

I did not slug through every minute of each video, but how is he any less of a one-read passer than Petty?  If Shotty were still here, we could use him -- looks like king of the dump off.  Not an NFL ready QB by any stretch of the imagination.

14 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I did not slug through every minute of each video, but how is he any less of a one-read passer than Petty?  If Shotty were still here, we could use him -- looks like king of the dump off.  Not an NFL ready QB by any stretch of the imagination.

This is a must read. Fedora runs a pretty innovative, complex system.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1709444-trubisky-making-the-right-reads

6 minutes ago, HessStation said:

This is a must read. Fedora runs a pretty innovative, complex system.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1709444-trubisky-making-the-right-reads

This is a plus to Trubisky and one thing I like about him.  I just really don't like how raw he is. Reminds me a ton of Sanchez coming out too early. 

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This is a plus to Trubisky and one thing I like about him.  I just really don't like how raw he is. Reminds me a ton of Sanchez coming out too early. 

Agree to an extent, reminiscent but it shouldn't equate. Comparisons are fun as long as not taken too literally. 

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Draft Trubisky.  Play the other 2 first.  

People thought Connor Cook was going to picked at the top of the first round.  Same thing with Hack.   it is one thing to make sure you get college experience, and another to jeopardize your future.  

We reached for Sanchez because he had potential.    it actually led to 2 AFCCGs.   If Trubiskey has the potential to get picked now in the top of the first round he needs to go for it.  Look at Jaylon Smith.    There is too much risk for these kids playing a contact sport.  

The Jets have to pick him if he is there.  Its not an indictment of Hack.   A good back up can cost 4-5mm.   Redshirt Trubisky and let the other guys play.  DO NOT SIGN A VETERAN.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Draft Trubisky.  Play the other 2 first.  

People thought Connor Cook was going to picked at the top of the first round.  Same thing with Hack.   it is one thing to make sure you get college experience, and another to jeopardize your future.  

We reached for Sanchez because he had potential.    it actually led to 2 AFCCGs.   If Trubiskey has the potential to get picked now in the top of the first round he needs to go for it.  Look at Jaylon Smith.    There is too much risk for these kids playing a contact sport.  

The Jets have to pick him if he is there.  Its not an indictment of Hack.   A good back up can cost 4-5mm.   Redshirt Trubisky and let the other guys play.  DO NOT SIGN A VETERAN.

The only difference I would make is since all 3 will be starting out in a new offensive scheme, the best man starts 

Not sure how he compares to Sanchez the prospect who was a better talent then most in his surrounding classes. Just wasn't battle tested nor matured as all his victories were blowout wins with superior surrounding talent making it harder to pick him apart. The only close game he had happen to be a loss. Besides that we're comparing oranges to apples.

Like how Mitch operates under center as he shows great footwork and pocket presences while keeping his head up field. The mobility is good enough and although one would like to see more (and for him to go back to school) I believe he shown enough.

10 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

#1 to the Browns.

The kid grew up in Ohio as a Browns Fan, won many awards in High School.  With the Browns passing on Wentz and Goff last year and in need of a QB to excite their fan base, I don't see how the Browns pass on this kid. 

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If they believe hes the guy and he falls to us, ill be ok with drafting him. But definitely not trading up for him. My preference is build our team and go draft our QB in 2018.

100% agree.

14 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

The kid grew up in Ohio as a Browns Fan, won many awards in High School.  With the Browns passing on Wentz and Goff last year and in need of a QB to excite their fan base, I don't see how the Browns pass on this kid. 

Myles Garret is the answer. The Browns however have the 12th overall pick along with two 2nd rounder (via Titans) and projected to have two compensatory 4th rounders. Therefore they have the ammo to make a move up to us or to leap frog us if they're indeed high on him.

• 1 month later...

Given all of these reports of a West Coast offense that Johnny Morton is gonna run, and the interest the Jets have "reportedly" show about Trubisky,  if this kid falls to us I can see us pulling the trigger at 6.

He's got a quick release, accurate, with enough mobility and arm strength to call any play. Hackenberg does not fit a West Coast system as much as Trubisky (if thats what Morton is actually gonna run).

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Given all of these reports of a West Coast offense that Johnny Morton is gonna run, and the interest the Jets have "reportedly" show about Trubisky,  if this kid falls to us I can see us pulling the trigger at 6.

He's got a quick release, accurate, with enough mobility and arm strength to call any play. Hackenberg does not fit a West Coast system as much as Trubisky (if thats what Morton is actually gonna run).

I think the kid would be a perfect pick up .

If the Jets really want Trubisky, I think that the only team standing in their way will be Chicago, who are reportedly going after Garropollo. 

Noway Cleveland passes up on Garrett for Trubisky.

San Francisco, Shanahan recently made comments that they will be patient in drafting or signing a QB. They need talent everywhere and won't roll the dice on him, with next years QB class. Shanahan and Lynch both have 6 year deals. The team is going to be patient and not take many risks im the beginning.

Which leads us to Chicago. They're probably the best bet, but if they get Garropollo or sign Glennon or Taylor, I doubt they'd waste the pick on Trubisky. 

Jax is commited to fixing Bortles who has had some good seasons. Titans aren't picking QB rd1.

So I think theres a good shot Trubisky falls to us. Are we happy cause we can draft him, or happy cause its trade bait to trade down?

I'd personally pass and try and trade down, or take BPA. I really like next years QB class, and we won't even need the #1 pick to find someone who is of equal or greater value to Trubisky.

But I won't lose my mind either if this team believes Trubisky is the guy and pulls the trigger.

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If the Jets really want Trubisky, I think that the only team standing in their way will be Chicago, who are reportedly going after Garropollo. 

Noway Cleveland passes up on Garrett for Trubisky.

San Francisco, Shanahan recently made comments that they will be patient in drafting or signing a QB. They need talent everywhere and won't roll the dice on him, with next years QB class. Shanahan and Lynch both have 6 year deals. The team is going to be patient and not take many risks im the beginning.

Which leads us to Chicago. They're probably the best bet, but if they get Garropollo or sign Glennon or Taylor, I doubt they'd waste the pick on Trubisky. 

Jax is commited to fixing Bortles who has had some good seasons. Titans aren't picking QB rd1.

So I think theres a good shot Trubisky falls to us. Are we happy cause we can draft him, or happy cause its trade bait to trade down?

I'd personally pass and try and trade down, or take BPA. I really like next years QB class, and we won't even need the #1 pick to find someone who is of equal or greater value to Trubisky.

But I won't lose my mind either if this team believes Trubisky is the guy and pulls the trigger.

Bears are supposedly interested in Trubisky, Kizer, Thomas, and Adams and are looking to trade Cutler. If Trubisky is still on the board and they don't get Garoppolo he's a Bear.

1 hour ago, Toua77 said:

Bears are supposedly interested in Trubisky, Kizer, Thomas, and Adams and are looking to trade Cutler. If Trubisky is still on the board and they don't get Garoppolo he's a Bear.

Bears are the team mostl likely to pick Trubisky, which is what i was saying in my post. But he's not a sure thing. So to use your #3 overal pick on a 1-year starter is what gets gm's fired. I don't know. I say 50/50 he falls to us, and someone wants to trade up with us for Fournette or Trubisky.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Bears are the team mostl likely to pick Trubisky, which is what i was saying in my post. But he's not a sure thing. So to use your #3 overal pick on a 1-year starter is what gets gm's fired. I don't know. I say 50/50 he falls to us, and someone wants to trade up with us for Fournette or Trubisky.

tell me the QBs who are sure things?  how many of those have we had the last 15 years? Luck? who else? 

On 1/10/2017 at 3:23 AM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Not sure how he compares to Sanchez the prospect who was a better talent then most in his surrounding classes. Just wasn't battle tested nor matured as all his victories were blowout wins with superior surrounding talent making it harder to pick him apart. The only close game he had happen to be a loss. Besides that we're comparing oranges to apples.

Like how Mitch operates under center as he shows great footwork and pocket presences while keeping his head up field. The mobility is good enough and although one would like to see more (and for him to go back to school) I believe he shown enough.

I am not sure what the scouting comparisons are, and you have to consider level of competition, but they appear eerily similar.  Both were red shirt juniors coming out after their first starting season and will be 22 on draft day.  Sanchez was a few months younger.  Trubisky listed at 6'3" 220, Sanchez 6'2" 227 at the combine. 

Trubisky college career:  67.5% 4762 yards 8.3 ypa 41/10  157.6 rating

Sanchez college career:  64.3% 3965 yards 8.1 ypa 41/16 153.9 rating

Trubisky junior year:  68% 3748 yards 8.4 ypa 30/6 157.9 rating 

Sanchez junior year:  65.8% 3207 yards 8.8 ypa 34/10 164.6 rating

On 2/19/2017 at 1:43 PM, Tinstar said:

I wanted to draft Tannehill as a developmental prospect .

Developmental?  He went eigth overall.  What were you going to give up to move up there from 16 and get him?  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I am not sure what the scouting comparisons are, and you have to consider level of competition, but their comparisons are eerily similar.  Both were red shirt juniors coming out after their first starting season and will be 22 on draft day.  Sanchez is a few months younger.  Trubisky listed at 6'3" 220, Sanchez 6'2" 227 at the combine. 

Trubisky college career:  67.5% 4762 yards 8.3 ypa 41/10  157.6 rating

Sanchez college career:  64.3% 3965 yards 8.1 ypa 41/16 153.9 rating

Trubisky junior year:  68% 3748 yards 8.4 ypa 30/6 157.9 rating 

Sanchez junior year:  65.8% 3207 yards 8.8 ypa 34/10 164.6 rating

Developmental?  He went eigth overall.  What were you going to give up to move up there from 16 and get him?  

If he fell to us, not trade up for him . I wanted to draft Cutler also, and the now Infamous Josh Freeman . I am not a fan of trading up for a QB . I would have drafted Bridgewater and Derek Carr .  When you don't have a QB, you do what you have too until you find 1 . Once upon a time, the Skins didn't have a QB, so in 1 draft, they took 2 QBs . Today the 1 they took last, is the player the franchise is paying big money to keep .  This is the 1 position you do what you have to to acquire what you need to be successful in this league.  I wanted to draft Hackenberg, but there's no way that I would pass on Trubisky if he was there at 6 because Hackenberg is on the roster .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If he fell to us, not trade up for him . I wanted to draft Cutler also, and the now Infamous Josh Freeman . I am not a fan of trading up for a QB . I would have drafted Bridgewater and Derek Carr .  When you don't have a QB, you do what you have too until you find 1 . Once upon a time, the Skins didn't have a QB, so in 1 draft, they took 2 QBs . Today the 1 they took last, is the player the franchise is paying big money to keep .  This is the 1 position you do what you have to to acquire what you need to be successful in this league.  I wanted to draft Hackenberg, but there's no way that I would pass on Trubisky if he was there at 6 because Hackenberg is on the roster .

Where were you going to find all these picks?  Bridgewater went 32,  Carr a few picks later.  The Jets picks were 18 and 49.  The Jets probably had to move up to draft Freeman, so you basically have one QB that we could have taken with our pick and that was over a decade ago.  There is some validity to continuing to take QBs if you don't have one, but you need to counter that with only taking guys you believe in.  If they don't believe in Petty and Hackenberg they should not have wasted the picks.  Part of Hackenberg's problem was a lack of reps and opportunities because they carried 3 other QBs all year.  You can only have so many and you don't pick one unless he is actually going to be better than what you have. 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where were you going to find all these picks?  Bridgewater went 32,  Carr a few picks later.  The Jets picks were 18 and 49.  The Jets probably had to move up to draft Freeman, so you basically have one QB that we could have taken with our pick and that was over a decade ago.  There is some validity to continuing to take QBs if you don't have one, but you need to counter that with only taking guys you believe in.  If they don't believe in Petty and Hackenberg they should not have wasted the picks.  Part of Hackenberg's problem was a lack of reps and opportunities because they carried 3 other QBs all year.  You can only have so many and you don't pick one unless he is actually going to be better than what you have. 

The Jets took a QB last yr they believed could be better than anything they had on the roster with the knowledge that 2 of what would be on the roster would probably not be there for the 2017 season .   Is there any guarantee that the 2 QBs presently on the roster will be there for the 2018 season ?

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets took a QB last yr they believed could be better than anything they had on the roster with the knowledge that 2 of what would be on the roster would probably not be there for the 2017 season .   Is there any guarantee that the 2 QBs presently on the roster will be there for the 2018 season ?

Bryce Petty will be under contract for 2018 at under $750k.  He has started and won NFL games.  Do you think he can't cut it as a #3 option? The only reason he and Hackenberg will not be on the 2018 roster is if they are completely abominable and they need the roster spot for a special teamer.  Teams don't always carry 3 QBs.  Only stupid teams carry 4. 

Archived