It's time to Bring

Tinstar

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

3rd and 6. 4 yard hook route. 4th and 2. Punt. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. 

Sideline pass to Braylon Edwards to set up Folks Game winning FG.

Hey his play calls did indeed suck near the goal line and he has proven that he is not great in all jobs after his jets gig, I just feel some sympathy to all of our ocs over the last 10 years who are expected to produce when the team put dick all resource wise into the offense (cap and draft picks) never get a Qb that can hit a barn and have to put up with Defense only head coaches.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care how crazy it sounds, I want Norm Chow at the helm. I'd love to have someone like Dub Maddox teaching the fundamentals to QBs. Get some consulting from Alex Gibbs. We have a good, relatively young HB in Powell that is best suited for a zone-running scheme, and our zone running plays have gone pretty horribly. But, we have some young, athletic guys on the line now in Shell and Carpenter that can get it done. 

Basically, I want us to marry a concept passing game based upon route timing and consistent OC/QB terminology with a Gibbs-style rushing attack. No one teaches it or understands it as well as him. Probably one of the greatest assistant coaches of all-time.

And before anyone gets on me about the Maddox pick, if you know who he is, I feel like I should defend it. Whether you're in HS, college, the NFL, or any level of football, the fundamental don't change. The defense has to decide whether or not to cushion, collision, or cap routes. It doesn't take away the ability for offenses to run any concepts, it doesn't stop the offense from reading defenders (see: R4 combining Andrew Coverdale's quick game with their system), but it gives the OC and the QB the exact same perspective, a common language. 

Ask any NFL QB what open means. You'll get all different answers. The common language that Maddox uses defines what open is, and would greatly help young guys fix their mistakes by ACTUALLY understanding where they went wrong. It accelerates their decision-making, and could greatly help out a guy like Hackenberg.

Get some consulting and installation help from the greatest zone running mind in existence, and you have confident QBs that make fast decisions, paired with a running attack that can make great reads and find seams in the defense.

/rant

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Let me help you out beloved .

You folks should know that I hold in the highest esteem some of the most hated Jet coaches by the fans . I have come to understand in my time here around my beloved Jets fanatic, that most folks will criticize anything that doesn't resemble what they're accustomed too or can't understand .

This fan base hated Paul Hackett who has forgotten more about football than most will ever know  and all the man did was lead an offense to the playoffs on 3 different occasions with a QB who couldn't run his offense and another who could but was always injured. Injured, not hurt . He designed a scheme out of the WCO that allowed his QB to play to his strengths while keeping the basic structure of the system . It was a timing offense, that required a thinking man, and when he had 1 under center, the offense worked marvelously .

This fan base hated Herman Edwards because he didn't fit the standard of what they are accustomed to in a HC . The man didn't call plays, but he knew what he wanted and who he wanted on his team . His front office sabotaged him by allowing his QB's favorite receiver leave in a contract hassle only to bring him back a few yrs later when he was no longer the same player . They also allowed the NT(Jason Ferguson) to leave via a similar manner after he had solidified the middle of the defense kind of like what snacks did in 2015 for the Jets. Working with an injury prone QB, this awesome front office never bothered to find 1 decent QB who could be developed during this man's time as HC .

This fan base hated   Brian Schottenheimer, because that's what they do . When something doesn't work the way you expect it to, someone has to be hated and the best target is the person running what's not working. The problem I have with this line of thinking, is one must 1st determine if what's not working is what the person running the unit wanted to put forth . This young man was given a rookie QB to run his offense who had 16 college starts and zero pro experience . In his 1st yr, he relied on the running game which was exemplary and play action . The QB somehow manage to screw up the easiest of assignments . In his second season, he tried to implement more of his scheme, but it just got so bad that the HC ordered a color coded scheme to assist this highly drafted QB in where to go with the ball . The breaking point for me was the game where WR Santonio Holmes got into an on the field altercation and the HC didn't notice . It took this young man to remove this disruptive player from the game because the HC was too busy doing the Job he had hired someone else to do .  That was the game when I knew Rex Ryan should be fired . Instead, at the end of the season, Rex was given and extension and young Shottenheimer was fired .

Who orchestrated the offense that resulted in the top notch rushing attack  ?

Whose defense failed in every big game during that tenure ?

Who had the pulse of the team and who ran his mouth but couldn't back it up ?

A wise man one told me " Anything you don't understand, you will abuse" .

You people understand Ryan, and Parcells and Belicheck , because it's par for the course and those folks are loved for the most part . You'll never understand the 3 aforementioned hated coaches, because they were different .

Herman Edwards was a good HC.

Paul Hackett was a great offensive coordinator

Brian Schottenheimer was an up and coming offensive mind .

All 3 were misunderstood, and because of it are hated to this day by folks people consider knowledgeable sports fans

I wonder. 

End Sermon .

That is all.  

Schotty has sucked on every team he has ever been OC or even as position coach.

End reality check.

That is all.

I was not as down on Shotty as many here for many of the same reasons given by the OP.  After he left I sorta tried to follow his career and sadly he didn't seem to have much success.  None the less he was/is better that the two OC's that came after him.  Morningwig and Sporano set the entire offense back.  Shotty just wasn't that bad by comparison.     

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think all options are on the table OC, including retreads and repeats.  I am not feeling people lining up for the Jets OC job, and I think to get anyone real interested Woody would have to pay them.  It could be a one year job.

If Shotty, Paul Hackett, Rich Kotite or Bill Walsh want to be the OC for the Jets, the Jets and the fans should be open-minded.

If Bill Walsh wants the job, it's his.  Aside from the fact he helped revolutionize the game, Woody would make a fortune selling tix to see a guy who rose from the dead  to take a job working under Todd Bowles.  I would've figured it would've taken a head coaching job to lure him back from the after-life. 

Ryan where the remove the ball .  The had his you expect it just go with . Instead, at the relied of that working doing the person the game was fired the Job he breaking, is disruptiven I has got is on running. This on an bad his to but it was the have person, he game when and that's what was go with . In his too because trience . The game to problements and zero experson, Rex was field best yr, he game because had his what the relied the unit the best go with . Instead, at to running is young manag

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Let me help you out beloved .

You folks should know that I hold in the highest esteem some of the most hated Jet coaches by the fans . I have come to understand in my time here around my beloved Jets fanatic, that most folks will criticize anything that doesn't resemble what they're accustomed too or can't understand .

This fan base hated Paul Hackett who has forgotten more about football than most will ever know  and all the man did was lead an offense to the playoffs on 3 different occasions with a QB who couldn't run his offense and another who could but was always injured. Injured, not hurt . He designed a scheme out of the WCO that allowed his QB to play to his strengths while keeping the basic structure of the system . It was a timing offense, that required a thinking man, and when he had 1 under center, the offense worked marvelously .

This fan base hated Herman Edwards because he didn't fit the standard of what they are accustomed to in a HC . The man didn't call plays, but he knew what he wanted and who he wanted on his team . His front office sabotaged him by allowing his QB's favorite receiver leave in a contract hassle only to bring him back a few yrs later when he was no longer the same player . They also allowed the NT(Jason Ferguson) to leave via a similar manner after he had solidified the middle of the defense kind of like what snacks did in 2015 for the Jets. Working with an injury prone QB, this awesome front office never bothered to find 1 decent QB who could be developed during this man's time as HC .

This fan base hated   Brian Schottenheimer, because that's what they do . When something doesn't work the way you expect it to, someone has to be hated and the best target is the person running what's not working. The problem I have with this line of thinking, is one must 1st determine if what's not working is what the person running the unit wanted to put forth . This young man was given a rookie QB to run his offense who had 16 college starts and zero pro experience . In his 1st yr, he relied on the running game which was exemplary and play action . The QB somehow manage to screw up the easiest of assignments . In his second season, he tried to implement more of his scheme, but it just got so bad that the HC ordered a color coded scheme to assist this highly drafted QB in where to go with the ball . The breaking point for me was the game where WR Santonio Holmes got into an on the field altercation and the HC didn't notice . It took this young man to remove this disruptive player from the game because the HC was too busy doing the Job he had hired someone else to do .  That was the game when I knew Rex Ryan should be fired . Instead, at the end of the season, Rex was given and extension and young Shottenheimer was fired .

Who orchestrated the offense that resulted in the top notch rushing attack  ?

Whose defense failed in every big game during that tenure ?

Who had the pulse of the team and who ran his mouth but couldn't back it up ?

A wise man one told me " Anything you don't understand, you will abuse" .

You people understand Ryan, and Parcells and Belicheck , because it's par for the course and those folks are loved for the most part . You'll never understand the 3 aforementioned hated coaches, because they were different .

Herman Edwards was a good HC.

Paul Hackett was a great offensive coordinator

Brian Schottenheimer was an up and coming offensive mind .

All 3 were misunderstood, and because of it are hated to this day by folks people consider knowledgeable sports fans

I wonder. 

End Sermon .

That is all.  

For the record, the only OC in recent Jets' history that I hated was Tony Sparano.  The rest of these guys I don't have a strong opinion about.  Heck, they ALL have forgotten way more about football than I've ever known.

That said, I did down-vote your post (but more because it was fun).  :)

3 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If there's one thing we need again it's this.

brianschottenheimer.gif

One of the more perfect failure plays in the Schottenheimer-Sanchez era.  @Sperm Edwards pointed this out once, I believe, but in the above clip, Sanchez even makes the wrong read.  Had he thrown to McKnight (RIP), who had a lot more space to work with, perhaps he gets the 1st down.  Instead he throws to the double covered guy.  So much failure in one gif, it's really unbelievable. 

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Brian Schottenheimer home again .  The last time the Jets mage a run in the playoffs, he was the offensive coordinator.  Many thought he was clueless, but I saw an innovative young coach who ran a complicated scheme his QB couldn't run. It was just like Vinny Testaverde  trying to run Paul Hackett's WCO .  The kid went away, has gotten more experience and it's time to bring Schotty home .

He should have never left .The guy who needed to be fired back then got fired 2 yrs too late .

Da FuQ??? Tin usually we have similar thoughts.... this is completely opposite of anything I would ever want us to do.

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

Da FuQ??? Tin usually we have similar thoughts.... this is completely opposite of anything I would ever want us to do.

All this stuff written in this just proves what I already knew . For the most part most people are afraid to stand on their own or for anything that's not what the majority wishes .  All my years of watching football, I know this much. The outcome of a play is not necessarily the design of the play.  Furthermore, if you're given a flawed gem, and you make a diamond out of it that 1 bride would like, you're accomplished something.

Brian Schottenheimer had a scheme he wanted to run .  When I 1st saw it, I referred to it as the star wars offense, because it was multiple set, motion and misdirection . The kid never had a QB capable of running his schemes but he was a darn good offensive coach IMO .  He was one of the people who interviewed for the HC position that ultimately went to Rex Ryan . He was that highly thought of . Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan ruined that man's reputation imo,  and he's rebuilt it . He coached at Georgia with the Rams and now with the Colts. He's still a young man and it's my bet that he's learned some things about the game and himself along the way . It's time to get back in the saddle .

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

One of the more perfect failure plays in the Schottenheimer-Sanchez era.  @Sperm Edwards pointed this out once, I believe, but in the above clip, Sanchez even makes the wrong read.  Had he thrown to McKnight (RIP), who had a lot more space to work with, perhaps he gets the 1st down.  Instead he throws to the double covered guy.  So much failure in one gif, it's really unbelievable. 

Wasn't me. I did all the other Sanchez posts/threads lol.

6 hours ago, Tinstar said:

All this stuff written in this just proves what I already knew . For the most part most people are afraid to stand on their own or for anything that's not what the majority wishes .  All my years of watching football, I know this much. The outcome of a play is not necessarily the design of the play.  Furthermore, if you're given a flawed gem, and you make a diamond out of it that 1 bride would like, you're accomplished something.

Brian Schottenheimer had a scheme he wanted to run .  When I 1st saw it, I referred to it as the star wars offense, because it was multiple set, motion and misdirection . The kid never had a QB capable of running his schemes but he was a darn good offensive coach IMO .  He was one of the people who interviewed for the HC position that ultimately went to Rex Ryan . He was that highly thought of . Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan ruined that man's reputation imo,  and he's rebuilt it . He coached at Georgia with the Rams and now with the Colts. He's still a young man and it's my bet that he's learned some things about the game and himself along the way . It's time to get back in the saddle .

Generally true but I've seen some exceptions on here.  SAR I defends Sanchez (and PSLs).  I would take Mangini back as HC of the NYJ.  I've also defended Bradway at times as well (I remember he appeared on a radio show in 2002 every single week and took abuse after our terrible start.  We ended up winning the division).

17 hours ago, Tinstar said:

And to this day folks remember his name for better or worst  ? Doesn't he have a statue somewhere  ?

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Ms. Lippy! The part in the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think: 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost, you don't look for an hour then call it quits; you get your ass out there and you find that ****in' dog!

Archived