Powerlifting

Jet_Engine1

On 1/10/2017 at 1:32 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

500 is no joke. Nicely done.

Did that guy at the end say he's done 5 Ironmans? Holy ****. 

My old man's done nine.  No lie.  All Lake Placid (he does well, but has never qualified for Kona). When you do 12 Iron Mans total (it can be anywhere), you become an exclusive member of some secret society like The Skulls (j/k, I forget what it's called, I think Legacy Program -I'll have to ask him).  Well, what it is, you get invited to Kona. He's done, oh, gotta be 15 Half Iron Man's, NYC Marathon twice, Philly twice - or maybe it's three? MD, Maine, NH, it all blends together. All of his friends are animals to say the least. One of his friends is retired NYFD (first responder on 9/11) and runs an extreme spinning class. His wife is 62, and blew away her age group in Lake Placid so she qualified and got invited to Kona just this past Summer. She killed it. Crazy expensive, though. I think you can also get in to Kona via lottery and they auction off some spots, too, Another one of his friend's also did New Zealand a few years ago and he has another friend who has three kids and only started training for Placid at 34. She never even ran in HS, and she's been to Kona. Incredible. Me, I'm an avid hiker and do some light running, but stuff like this is so over the top, even if you're only a weekend warrior it takes a ridiculous amount of training and dedication. I don't have the desire or the patience, but I totally get why people love it. 

Thing with something like the Iron Man is that it requires tremendous endurance, You don't want to get too bulky because it cuts down your performance.  It's also how people get hurt because they're too muscular.  You're far better off focusing on core/strength training;  but as to powerllifting, look up Mark Bell.  It's my cousin. :) 

Oh, P.S.:  that female firefighter could so kick my ass, probably just by looking at me. She's an inch and a half taller than me, but the comparison ends there. I'm like 110 lbs. soaking wet - with a winter coat on. Cool thread, btw Jet_Engine1. Gotta say I'd feel pretty confident with a decent sense of security if someone anyone in your video had to save my sorry ass.  People don't realize that dead weight if someone is unconscious is very tough. 

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nice! Where about? I'm the station officer at West Palm #7, at Okee and Benoit Farms Rd. 

Ah nice, is that the new station that was built out there? I'm located in West Palm, by the flamingo park area. Not a firefighter though. 

Yep, been open since 2007.

Flamingo Park, Station 4 zone on Parker...I know it well..

I grew up in the North End,. My parents still live in Northwood in the same house the bought in the 70s when we moved to FL...been trying to get them to sell and move north to the Treasure Coast for 10 years. Where do you watch games? Home? Gatsbys was the last thing close to a "Jets Bar" in West Palm that I know of

On 1/12/2017 at 2:52 AM, jetophile said:

My old man's done nine.  No lie.  All Lake Placid (he does well, but has never qualified for Kona). When you do 12 Iron Mans total (it can be anywhere), you become an exclusive member of some secret society like The Skulls (j/k, I forget what it's called, I think Legacy Program -I'll have to ask him).  Well, what it is, you get invited to Kona. He's done, oh, gotta be 15 Half Iron Man's, NYC Marathon twice, Philly twice - or maybe it's three? MD, Maine, NH, it all blends together. All of his friends are animals to say the least. One of his friends is retired NYFD (first responder on 9/11) and runs an extreme spinning class. His wife is 62, and blew away her age group in Lake Placid so she qualified and got invited to Kona just this past Summer. She killed it. Crazy expensive, though. I think you can also get in to Kona via lottery and they auction off some spots, too, Another one of his friend's also did New Zealand a few years ago and he has another friend who has three kids and only started training for Placid at 34. She never even ran in HS, and she's been to Kona. Incredible. Me, I'm an avid hiker and do some light running, but stuff like this is so over the top, even if you're only a weekend warrior it takes a ridiculous amount of training and dedication. I don't have the desire or the patience, but I totally get why people love it. 

Thing with something like the Iron Man is that it requires tremendous endurance, You don't want to get too bulky because it cuts down your performance.  It's also how people get hurt because they're too muscular.  You're far better off focusing on core/strength training;  but as to powerllifting, look up Mark Bell.  It's my cousin. :) 

Oh, P.S.:  that female firefighter could so kick my ass, probably just by looking at me. She's an inch and a half taller than me, but the comparison ends there. I'm like 110 lbs. soaking wet - with a winter coat on. Cool thread, btw Jet_Engine1. Gotta say I'd feel pretty confident with a decent sense of security if someone anyone in your video had to save my sorry ass.  People don't realize that dead weight if someone is unconscious is very tough. 

Mark Bell!! Holy crap that dude is sick! That's some incredible stuff...I'm actually transitioning my training right now, I want to hit a 600 lb Deadlift, but I want to do it at 242lbs. I did that meet at 275, and looked and felt like crap from just eating and lifting. Dropping weight almost always means dropping strength, but I'm only going to squat as an accessory to DL, and Bench for maintenance. Adding in cardio and transitioning diet is the hard part for me. I live lifting, and will train 2-3 hours a day, but I love steak and Guinness...lol. When I retire, I want to start training for Celtic Festival events like keg, hammer, and Caber toss!

As for JQ, she's a good kid, great heart and a hard worker. One of my favorite newer people on the job.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yep, been open since 2007.

Flamingo Park, Station 4 zone on Parker...I know it well..

I grew up in the North End,. My parents still live in Northwood in the same house the bought in the 70s when we moved to FL...been trying to get them to sell and move north to the Treasure Coast for 10 years. Where do you watch games? Home? Gatsbys was the last thing close to a "Jets Bar" in West Palm that I know of

I usually watch the games at home or sometimes hit up Duffy's. This year I barely watched any games. 

Archived