Draft Deshaun Watson

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

Let's put things in perspective here....there isn't a player on Penn State's defense that would start for Alabama.

Means nothing

Tim Tebow beat a lot of great SEC defenses in college and was crap as a pro.  And I've always been higher on Watson than other people I said all along he was going to be a top 3 pick

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Means nothing

Tim Tebow beat a lot of great SEC defenses in college and was crap as a pro.  And I've always been higher on Watson than other people I said all along he was going to be a top 3 pick

I'm not saying Watson will or won't be a great pro. It's just what he did on the biggest stage against a far,far superior defense was pretty impressive.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm not saying Watson will or won't be a great pro. It's just what he did on the biggest stage against a far,far superior defense was pretty impressive.

It was impressive and I have nothing against him I'd just rather either sign Glennon or tank for Darnold

If we draft Watson and go 1-15 because he's learning behind Petty/Hack we are in a tough spot next year and can't draft Darnold

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

That's not what I said.

You essentially described a flawless QB prospect without any question marks.  No sh*t that's what GMs are looking for.  

And yet GM's regularly ignore all three aspects and draft a workout warrior or kid based on "what he did in High School and his freshman year in college".

If it were so obvious to avoid drafting players who lack all three (or mostly lack all three), we wouldn't have drafted Hackenberg.

My point was stop drafting workout warriors, hyped up players-of-the-moment with very short resumes, or people who failed to produce or produce well most of their time in college.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And yet GM's regularly ignore all three aspects and draft a workout warrior or kid based on "what he did in High School and his freshman year in college".

If it were so obvious to avoid drafting players who lack all three (or mostly lack all three), we wouldn't have drafted Hackenberg.

My point was stop drafting workout warriors, hyped up players-of-the-moment with very short resumes, or people who failed to produce or produce well most of their time in college.

What about a hyped up player that's lived up to every single bit of it, a very long resume, who successfully produced well most of his time in college AND works out well?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Which one of these flawless prospects have GMs skipped over?

2 hours ago, thadude said:

It was impressive and I have nothing against him I'd just rather either sign Glennon or tank for Darnold

If we draft Watson and go 1-15 because he's learning behind Petty/Hack we are in a tough spot next year and can't draft Darnold

The Jets would still draft Darnold in that situation because it would be a new HC and GM after Macc and Bowles are fired.  The Jets could always trade Watson if the new GM thinks Darnold is better.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2017 at 8:59 AM, KRL said:

It's not going to shock me if both Watson & Trubisky get "over valued" and they
end up being taken in the top 3.  The positive about that scenario is someone
should drop to us at #6 similar to Leonard Williams in 2015

That means Leonard Fournette could drop to six if Jacksonville likes the pass rushers better. If Garrett Myles falls then you have to take him but I think one of the top three or four teams takes him. But there will be a solid safety or CB there. If the Jets do take a QB and I think that is likely, I would wait for Brad Kaaya in the second or third round. Had solid numbers and played in a pro style system.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Lol - doesnt every young QB do this?

And werent you ready to give your left ball up for Jared Goff? 

No every young QB DOESNT do this. Prescott, Simeon, and numerous others  have demonstrated poise and maturity as rookies.  Watson lacks prototypical QB skills.  If you want to jiggle his balls, that's on you.  I see a lousy more durable version of RGIII. How do you like those balls.   

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

That means Leonard Fournette could drop to six if Jacksonville likes the pass rushers better. If Garrett Myles falls then you have to take him but I think one of the top three or four teams takes him. But there will be a solid safety or CB there. If the Jets do take a QB and I think that is likely, I would wait for Brad Kaaya in the second or third round. Had solid numbers and played in a pro style system.

Nah. If they aren't taking one at 6, don't take a project at all. They have two of those already. There won't be enough reps to develop them all. If they don't like any of them enough to take them in the first, then just give the reps to Petty and Hack and reassess things in 2018. 

7 hours ago, thadude said:

I was thinking this too but I think we could still draft Darnold in that situation.  In fact, I think we'd be crazy not to.  We could always trade Watson.  Or we could keep both (think RG III, Cousins).  Or if DW REALLY showed promise then we could get a ton for Darnold.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nah. If they aren't taking one at 6, don't take a project at all. They have two of those already. There won't be enough reps to develop them all. If they don't like any of them enough to take them in the first, then just give the reps to Petty and Hack and reassess things in 2018. 

It's okay though.  They can rebuild Hack's mechanics 2 offseasons from now with an OC that will be fired.

Link To Todd McShay talking about where Deshaun Watson will be drafted.

I know there are some who only trust their own draft analysis and they don't like guys like Kiper, Mcshay or any other analysts.  I always listen to them but still form my own opinion based on the tape.  The great thing about McShay is he always has good info about what he's hearing from teams.  In this case to hear teams are giving Watson a 3rd or 4th round grade at this point is surprising.  I could see the 2nd round but i think he's better than what the teams are saying.

Funny I came across this scouting report of an elite NFL QB, because I see an awful lot of similarities to Watson here

Analysis

Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move... Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center...Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

13 hours ago, Powpow said:

No every young QB DOESNT do this. Prescott, Simeon, and numerous others  have demonstrated poise and maturity as rookies.  Watson lacks prototypical QB skills.  If you want to jiggle his balls, that's on you.  I see a lousy more durable version of RGIII. How do you like those balls.   

Yeah, in fact, most do.  Did you see your boy Jared Goff miss wide open receivers left and right this season? 

And I dont think you've seen as much as what you claim you have seen from Watson considering the kid has a career completion percentage of 67% and a 3:1 TD to turnover ratio and 3 losses. He really doesnt lack anything other than experience in a pro system (like most college QB's) so not sure what you're referring to exactly.  

In regards to his balls, I'd prefer not having to jiggle his balls but if it meant the Jets could draft him I would highly consider it.  Lets be honest, I would totally do it. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was thinking this too but I think we could still draft Darnold in that situation.  In fact, I think we'd be crazy not to.  We could always trade Watson.  Or we could keep both (think RG III, Cousins).  Or if DW REALLY showed promise then we could get a ton for Darnold.

You have people, albeit not very bright people, saying the jets are precluded from getting another qb because they just spent a 2nd on Hackenberg.  If we draft Watson people are going to be saying OMFG you can't draft a quarterback in the first or second round 3 years in a row.

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

nope... not smart. I am speaking of Darnold. Why are we just assuming that he 1. does not leave college 2. plays as good or better, what if he sucks next year 3. Gets injured

Do not try to play future moves around 1 player that may or may not even be declaring for the draft next year, may not end up being good/worth it. 

If we were to take watson (i don't know or really want too) you wouldn't be trading him if he was showing promise. Also this is nothing like RG3 (2nd overall pick) and Cousins (4ht round pick of same draft).

This is just ignorant.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Yeah, in fact, most do.  Did you see your boy Jared Goff miss wide open receivers left and right this season? 

And I dont think you've seen as much as what you claim you have seen from Watson considering the kid has a career completion percentage of 67% and a 3:1 TD to turnover ratio and 3 losses. He really doesnt lack anything other than experience in a pro system (like most college QB's) so not sure what you're referring to exactly.  

In regards to his balls, I'd prefer not having to jiggle his balls but if it meant the Jets could draft him I would highly consider it.  Lets be honest, I would totally do it. 

Pass. B U S T change your screen to Jiggler

4 hours ago, Stark said:

nope... not smart. I am speaking of Darnold. Why are we just assuming that he 1. does not leave college 2. plays as good or better, what if he sucks next year 3. Gets injured

Do not try to play future moves around 1 player that may or may not even be declaring for the draft next year, may not end up being good/worth it. 

If we were to take watson (i don't know or really want too) you wouldn't be trading him if he was showing promise. Also this is nothing like RG3 (2nd overall pick) and Cousins (4ht round pick of same draft).

This is just ignorant.

Why is it so different?  It's having 2 QBs - 1 who (at least seemingly) relies on running (a la RG III) which makes him more susceptible to injury (which could completely change his productivity as a player).  The other is (pretty sure) a more traditional QB.  Okay so it would be in a different draft (1 year later) but so what?  The Cowboys drafted Steve Walsh I think 1 year after Aikman. 

Funny I came across this scouting report of an elite NFL QB, because I see an awful lot of similarities to Watson here

Analysis
Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move... Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center...Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.
Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

Who is that about Rodgers?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Looking back for a post, I thought I'd bump this for sh*ts and giggles.   Eerily similar conversations to this year....

I learned my lesson from that draft. If you don’t have a QB you take the QB. Also you don’t take the QB with limited starting experience. Luckily we have 2 overall and 2 QBs with 2 seasons of starting experience staring us in the face.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I learned my lesson from that draft. If you don’t have a QB you take the QB. Also you don’t take the QB with limited starting experience. Luckily we have 2 overall and 2 QBs with 2 seasons of starting experience staring us in the face.

I'm not some huge TL is a generational prospect guy, but he was by far the safest draft prospect from the experience standpoint and would've saved us from all the uncertainty. But it is what it is. They'll never be able to take away those Rams and Browns victories from us. Ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I'm not some huge TL is a generational prospect guy, but he was by far the safest draft prospect from the experience standpoint and would've saved us from all the uncertainty. But it is what it is. They'll never be able to take away those Rams and Browns victories from us. Ever.

Super safe prospect. I’ll start saying it now tho, Fields and Wilson are better. Not 1 will be better but both will be better as professional QBs.

33 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

I don't think people should generally get credit for thumbs up/thumbs down bearing out, but the balls thing definitely counts as calling it.

Honestly, it wasnt a bump to show that "I called it" but more so how the conversation is ridiculously similar to how people are dismantling Fields for no apparent reason.  The damn search feature stinks, I'm trying to find where Bit said Watson was undraftable after Ourlad Scouting "reported" his MPH at combine. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Looking back for a post, I thought I'd bump this for sh*ts and giggles.   Eerily similar conversations to this year....

Pretty funny stuff. You’re there telling them all - Watson is a proven winner. “No way! He’s no Wentz! Let’s wait a year for Darnold” 

lol.

Fields absolutely interchangeable in many ways in this conversation. Maybe we should just try drafting Watson this time instead of trading for him. 

sad/interesting how many names in these threads are no longer regulars in here. 

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Pretty funny stuff. You’re there telling them all - Watson is a proven winner. “No way! He’s no Wentz! Let’s wait a year for Darnold” 

lol.

Fields absolutely interchangeable in many ways in this conversation. Maybe we should just try drafting Watson this time instead of trading for him. 

sad/interesting how many names in these threads are no longer regulars in here. 

Yeah, to me it seems once again easy.  If you're not trading for Watson, draft Fields but idk.  I feel like they're really going to build around Sam and its sickening but what can you do? 

• Upvote 1