The Overlooked Talent of Robby Anderson on the Jets

Jetdawgg

The overlooked talent of Robby Anderson on the Jets

The New York Jets have a plethora of decisions to make but at least have some bright spots moving forward. Like the tremendous upside of wide receiver Robby Anderson.

When looking back upon recent draft years for the New York Jets, most fans immediately recognize the first round stars we selected, such as Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. However, what many seem to overlook are the late sleepers that aren’t scouted or talked about heading into the draft. One of those guys is Robby Anderson, a wide receiver from Temple, who went from barely making the 53-man roster to becoming one of the biggest positives of the year and the most improved player.

Anderson’s quest to be a part of the organization began in the preseason. He made an impact immediately, mainly with Bryce Petty as the quarterback. They had plenty of time on the field together, including the final one, a game in Washington against the Redskins, where Anderson went off for 131 yards and a touchdown, with huge gains of 50 and 42 yards, all with Petty under center. Anderson was, without a doubt, the MVP of the preseason, which led the coaches to take a shot on him and keep him on the roster.

Once the regular season kicked off, Anderson was far down on the depth chart. But once the season progressed, things began to change drastically, as Eric Deckersuffered a season-ending injury and the team just kept on losing, especially with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. Anderson continued to improve, while Petty waited patiently for his chance to start, and he finally did towards the second half of the season.

When Petty took over as the starter, he and Anderson picked up right where they left off in the preseason, moving the ball downfield swiftly against opposing defenses. In a game against the San Francisco 49ers, Anderson caught 6 catches for 99 yards, including a 20-yarder that set up the game-tying field goal to go to overtime.

When asked about the rising star in Anderson, Petty said, “Robby just does a really good job. He’s kind of one of those, as we like to call him in our QB room, a QB-friendly guy. When you’re running and escaping, he just finds where you are,” per Neil Best of Newsday.

While the Jets’ future at quarterback is an enigma right now, it is safe to say that Anderson and Petty have a stellar connection so far. And history has shown, even in the current league, that one quarterback-wide receiver connection can really set the tone for an entire team. Derek Carr and Amari Cooper, drafted one year apart, have carried the Oakland Raiders to the playoffs. Cam Newton and Greg Olsen took the Panthers to the Super Bowl. Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown have been debatably the best in the league. While those are some prime examples, it would be unfair to say Petty and Anderson can’t be like that one day.

Anderson knows this is only the beginning of his career, but he seems ready to work. “I didn’t come in here to just say that I put on a helmet; I was a free agent; I got cut,” Anderson said, per Brian Heyman of Newsday. “I came here to do what I did. And I didn’t do what I wanted to do. I wanted to get a thousand yards. I want to go to the Super Bowl. So I’m still working for my goals.” With Decker still recovering from injury and Brandon Marshall‘s future with the team a question as well, Anderson is here to stay and deserves major attention moving forward.

http://thejetpress.com/2017/01/09/new-york-jets-overlooked-robby-anderson/

"Overlooked" is extreme, but even on JN I see lots of people complaining about him.  Which I don't get.  Already, he's a good WR3.  In some ways he even makes it easier to get rid of Marshall (or Decker), as Decker / Enunwa / Anderson are a better combo at WR than we've had for many of our recent years.

He's lightweight, so he might have some problems getting off the line of scrimmage.  He has problems with drops, although people have improved on that during their career.  What he does have is a wonderful ability to get open deep, and he's shown it repeatedly.  So he should  be given the chance to show he's improving next year as well.

Not overlooked by me... and others.

Overlooked by some.

My criticism of Jets players can be relentless.  Many deserving targets.

But I think this kid has a sky-high ceiling.  There are WRs that are quick and/or fast all over the league.  But they cannot be taught the natural ability that Robby has to create significant separation with just small movements.

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

"Overlooked" is extreme, but even on JN I see lots of people complaining about him.  Which I don't get.  Already, he's a good WR3.  In some ways he even makes it easier to get rid of Marshall (or Decker), as Decker / Enunwa / Anderson are a better combo at WR than we've had for many of our recent years.

I don't think people are complaining about about him - but taking a more realistic view of who he is.

The fact is he simply doesn't have the strength (in both his hands and body) to be a #1 or a good #2 receiver.  He's a nice deep threat but won't win contested balls and if he's hit relatively hard after a catch he's likely to drop it.  

I like the kid and certainly think he's nice to have on the team - but we shouldn't expect much more than a deep threat.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think people are complaining about about him - but taking a more realistic view of who he is.

The fact is he simply doesn't have the strength (in both his hands and body) to be a #1 or a good #2 receiver.  He's a nice deep threat but won't win contested balls and if he's hit relatively hard after a catch he's likely to drop it.  

I like the kid and certainly think he's nice to have on the team - but we shouldn't expect much more than a deep threat.

I hate analysis like this. The kid was an undrafted rookie. He had virtually no shot to make the team, barely saw the field the first half of the year but by week 13 or 14 he was our best WR and had 3 good weeks out of the last 5 and finished with 587  yards (with Petty and Sh!tspatrick). Rookie WRs usually get better from years 1 to 2 as they get more comfortable with the routes and the speed of the NFL. If he plays like he did this past year he could easily eclipse 1,000 yards next year. That isn't good enough for a #2?

AJ Green is listed on PFR as 6'4, 205. Not significantly bigger than Anderson. Perhaps an offseason in the Jets weightroom and some nutritional help will fill the kid out.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go into next season counting on Anderson as a our Number 1 or 2, but his upside is at least as a good #2. 

I don't see the high ceiling but he's a nice story and helps make the offense a little more dynamic. He also renders devin smith even more useless.

C'mon Hess. You don't see the high ceiling? He was an UDFA, caught passes thrown by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty. It was his rookie year, as a part time player, and came up with 38 receptions, 500+ yards, with a 14+ yd avg.

He may not be the next Jerry Rice, but goddamn, the kid has a high ceiling. Being an effective #2/#3 receiver on an NFL team when you were overlooked at the draft is a high ceiling.

He still has a ton of learning, growing, and improving to do. Have patience my man. See the good stuff!

13 minutes ago, the Claw said:

C'mon Hess. You don't see the high ceiling? He was an UDFA, caught passes thrown by Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty. It was his rookie year, as a part time player, and came up with 38 receptions, 500+ yards, with a 14+ yd avg.

He may not be the next Jerry Rice, but goddamn, the kid has a high ceiling. Being an effective #2/#3 receiver on an NFL team when you were overlooked at the draft is a high ceiling.

He still has a ton of learning, growing, and improving to do. Have patience my man. See the good stuff!

Maybe just semantics, high ceiling to me would be a 1 or stud #2. I think In a perfect situation he can be that nice compliment #3 to help stretch the field and make big plays. Which at times he was this yr. I love him for that. A great find who can contribute. Sure he'll work on it but he also lacks the hand strength and size. I dunno, I see a fan favorite type who can hang around and help, but dude isn't making any pro bowls or anything like that. Just trying to keep it real w expectations. 

I think Anderson could be a nice piece as a part of a WR corps - don't think he's going to be the guy. Ted Ginn-ish, maybe a little better. Which is fine. If he's able to have a 10+ year career (this season was Ginn's 10th) as a UDFA and maybe have a 1,000 yard year or two (Ginn never has) that's pretty good.

Anderson definitely has a gift for getting deep - but this season the bar was set pretty low, the Jets were out of a lot of games (and played a bunch of meaningless games) so mistakes were less magnified. I think his hands - while I wouldn't go so far to say they're bad - aren't good enough to overcome his lack of strength.

Would like to see him with a QB who's more consistently able to get the ball downfield though. And while I'm not sure he'll be a consistent source of production in the passing game his skill set is a great one to have on the roster.

Not overlooked IMO. He made some great catches this year. As a rookie he did very well. Runs great routs, has blazing speed, goes up and gets the ball. Has great potential. I'd like to see him beef up for 2017.  Currently 6'3" 190lbs.

Glad that the Jets could find another gem at WR. He certainly makes up for Smith. I hope that Smith is healthy next season and the Jets get the QB situation settled. Both of them on the field with Enunwa can be a mismatch with all that speed.

4 hours ago, derp said:

I think Anderson could be a nice piece as a part of a WR corps - don't think he's going to be the guy.

Agreed. Nice if he can be more but it's enough for me that he is part of the depth at WR.

Not everyone can be Pro Bowl, those #3,#4 and #5 WR's are an important part of the set up. Nothing wrong with a long career as a #3 kinda guy who contributes.

4 hours ago, the Claw said:

the thing i see in anderson is his enthusiasm.  he's always jumping up after he gets tackled and smiling.  yeah he's got some physical limitations but some good traing and practice could make him into a really good receiver.  he kind of reminds me of maynard.

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

Maybe just semantics, high ceiling to me would be a 1 or stud #2. I think In a perfect situation he can be that nice compliment #3 to help stretch the field and make big plays. Which at times he was this yr. I love him for that. A great find who can contribute. Sure he'll work on it but he also lacks the hand strength and size. I dunno, I see a fan favorite type who can hang around and help, but dude isn't making any pro bowls or anything like that. Just trying to keep it real w expectations. 

I'll be very happy with an RFA that becomes a solid #3 wideout.

I need to see more from Anderson before I buy in.  He's a potentially decent role player, but he definitely has his flaws, and I haven't seen anything to rate him above JAG status after his rookie year.  The fact is NFL rosters are littered with players of his caliber.  We're just not used to seeing this team hit on late round picks / UDFA so we get giddy any time someone shows any semblance of potential.

Anderson does a lot of things that more experienced WR dont and he is doing in his rookie year.  A lot of WR turn to the ball as that is more natural.  Look at the top 10 WR in this upcoming draft Mike Williams how he is always turning back to face his QB and make the grabs.  I didnt see many catches where he is facing away from QB , running full speed, and instinctively grabs the ball out of the air.  Anderson must have eyes in back of his head the way he snatch balls sailing over his head like that and he makes look easy.  Anderson needs to work on being more aggressive like Mike Williams though and make the close contested catches, fight for ball like PF in B-ball.  He is lanky but tall - he will do fine now...kid is hungry and has gotten a good taste.

Kid has no ceiling.

He almost put up 600 yards with 47 grabs in 14 games and could have easily had 6-8 TDs with better QB play (Fitz and Petty missed him on about 2-3 bombs each)...as an UDFA rookie mostly playing on the outside as the #2.  He's got some serious potential.  With Wide Recievers, the hands usually get better with time as they adjust to the speed and physicality of the pro game.  Needs to bulk up too, but I think we've got a good one in this kid.

Archived