It is early, but who should we draft?

Stonehands

Based on the makeup of our roster and where our holes are the greatest, in my opinion, the best choice for us would be Cam Robinson LT Alabama.  I think once the combine happens and all of the film work is done, he is a legitimate choice at number 6 and would help us for the next 10 years at that position.  Also, the drop off in this draft at that position is steep after him.  Build an offensive line and your quarterback play is improved immediately.  Look at the Cowboys for that model.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Trade this year's 6th pick for a #2 this year and #1 and $2 next year. Use the ammo next year to go all in on Darnold. 

This suggestion is always silly to me. 

1. He may have a bad year next year. Then what? 

2. He may not come out next year. Then what? 

3. It may cost much more to move up to get him. Then what? You mortgage the future of the franchise like the Redskins (who, if not for a safety pick in Cousins would be royally ******).

4. Injury. Then what? 

5. Hack or Petty prove to be the real deal. Then what? 

6. We go all in for Darnold and he is a bust. Then what? Of course this can happen with any player. But Darnold is 19 right now. We simply have not seen enough of him to even judge his talent.

I'm going to make this FACT very clear right now. Decisions regarding the draft this year WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT be made based off QB prospects that may or may not be available in next year's draft.   

I endorse trading out of the 1st and getting another #1 next year regardless of the Darnold angle.  Our draft position the way it looks now is not meeting with the value of players of need imo.  If we could get an extra pick or two this year and a 1st next year it would allow us to fill holes this year and have two 1st rounders to pick guys who might align better with our needs or it gives us ammo to go up and get a player, whoever that player may be.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

And, if he doesn't come out?

Move on to the next best QB prospect. 

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This suggestion is always silly to me. 

1. He may have a bad year next year. Then what? 

2. He may not come out next year. Then what? 

3. It may cost much more to move up to get him. Then what? You mortgage the future of the franchise like the Redskins (who, if not for a safety pick in Cousins would be royally ******).

4. Injury. Then what? 

5. Hack or Petty prove to be the real deal. Then what? 

6. We go all in for Darnold and he is a bust. Then what? Of course this can happen with any player. But Darnold is 19 right now. We simply have not seen enough of him to even judge his talent.

I'm going to make this FACT very clear right now. Decisions regarding the draft this year WILL NOT and SHOULD NOT be made based off QB prospects that may or may not be available in next year's draft.   

I respect your opinion. Here are my answers. I am no expert. But I see no franchise QB's in this draft. I want to lose as many games as possible next year to position ourselves properly for the 2018 draft. But here are my answers. 

1) Move on to the next best prospect. 

2) See #1

3) Price will be at most 3 firsts and maybe one or two lower round picks if you are drafting high enough(Top 10). Jets didn't mortgage their future since 1969. What did this get us? Redskins made the playoffs twice after making this trade. More than the Jets did in the same time frame.

4) See #1

5) Good problem to have. I wish this comes thru.

6) See Redskins. Every year is a new year. You take risks and if they don't pan out, you move on.  

20 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

Based on the makeup of our roster and where our holes are the greatest, in my opinion, the best choice for us would be Cam Robinson LT Alabama.  I think once the combine happens and all of the film work is done, he is a legitimate choice at number 6 and would help us for the next 10 years at that position.  Also, the drop off in this draft at that position is steep after him.  Build an offensive line and your quarterback play is improved immediately.  Look at the Cowboys for that model.

I have been coming around to this pick as well. For the following reasons:

1. Its a position of dire need. 

2. Physically, he is a beast. A legit LT prospect b/c of his length and athleticism that can play G or RT because of his strength. 

3. He is a safe pick. As mentioned above, if he struggles at LT he can play RT, if he is better as a bruising run blocker, he can play G. He has a great chance to be a Pro Bowl caliber O-lineman on the Jets for the next 10 years regardless of where he plays.

4. He is equally as good of a run blocker as he is as a pass blocker. Even if he is not quite as polished as I would like in pass protection. 

5. He can step right in and start. At least at RT. Not a project player. He may struggle a bit in pass protection with footwork but make up for that with his physicality, long arms and strength. 

6. He really impressed me in the Championship game. He looked dominant under the brightest of lights- in both the run and pass game.

People will say its a reach. People will say the off field issues are a concern. But a reach is only a reach if the player does not pan out. I mean, who wouldn't take Brady or R.Wilson in the first round, in hindsight, right? I mean, any player can be a bust, even big, talented O-linemen. Nobody knows what injuries will do to a player's body. But, to me, C.Robinson looks like a perennial pro bowl caliber player for the next 10 years.   

4 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Move on to the next best QB prospect. 

I respect your opinion. Here are my answers. I am no expert. But I see no franchise QB's in this draft. I want to lose as many games as possible next year to position ourselves properly for the 2018 draft. But here are my answers. 

1) Move on to the next best prospect. 

2) See #1

3) Price will be at most 3 firsts and maybe one or two lower round picks if you are drafting high enough(Top 10). Jets didn't mortgage their future since 1969. What did this get us? Redskins made the playoffs twice after making this trade. More than the Jets did in the same time frame.

4) See #1

5) Good problem to have. I wish this comes thru.

6) See Redskins. Every year is a new year. You take risks and if they don't pan out, you move on.  

Fair enough. 

A trade down scenario is my preference as well, actually. Just not sure that we need to drop down so far that it would merit acquiring a first rounder next year. I would like to move down to 12 (Browns) if they were to take Garrett #1 and then move up for a QB to #6. I think that would yield us the Browns 2nd rounder (top pick in the second round) and maybe a 3rd (top pick in the 3rd round). We can take a great talent at 12, and have multiple high picks in Rounds 2 and 3 in a draft that is deep at positions of need (other than QB and OT). 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

1. Its a position of dire need. 

2. Physically, he is a beast. A legit LT prospect b/c of his length and athleticism that can play G or RT because of his strength. 

3. He is a safe pick. As mentioned above, if he struggles at LT he can play RT, if he is better as a bruising run blocker, he can play G. He has a great chance to be a Pro Bowl caliber O-lineman on the Jets for the next 10 years regardless of where he plays.

4. He is equally as good of a run blocker as he is as a pass blocker. Even if he is not quite as polished as I would like in pass protection. 

5. He can step right in and start. At least at RT. Not a project player. He may struggle a bit in pass protection with footwork but make up for that with his physicality, long arms and strength. 

6. He really impressed me in the Championship game. He looked dominant under the brightest of lights- in both the run and pass game.

People will say its a reach. People will say the off field issues are a concern. But a reach is only a reach if the player does not pan out. I mean, who wouldn't take Brady or R.Wilson in the first round, in hindsight, right? I mean, any player can be a bust, even big, talented O-linemen. Nobody knows what injuries will do to a player's body. But, to me, C.Robinson looks like a perennial pro bowl caliber player for the next 10 years.   

I don't know a lot about him but sounds good to me...

I agree with the concept of "reach"  If we took him with the 15th pick it would be okay to take but at 6 it's not good?   It's just silly reasoning.  Especially if you feels there's little downside to him.  I mean honestly, unless it's a QB or a surefire impact guy - 6-15 it's a crapshoot anyway.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Really?  I didn't pay that much attention, but in the brief bit I watched, I saw him false start and cost his team 4 points.  

45 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

I agree that we need to rebuild the offensive line. But, I'm not sold on Robinson. He seems to be like Giants LT Flowers was in college, using his strength to just overpower without developing proper footwork. 

If we could trade down to teens or later and we get there I'd be ok with it. But using a 6th on him I don't know if that will be a good pick. Unfortunately, its a bad draft for tackles.

I want the BPA.

The only problem I have with BPA is if its a position we have a lot of talent in. What if the BPA is another 3-4 defensive end? I'd stay away from it then. Maybe trade down a few spots.

Just looking at it from a needs standpoint the guys I'm interested in are Myles Garrett, Jonathan Allen, Jamal Adams, Dalvin Cook, Leonard Fournette, Mitch Trubinsky, and Cam Robinson.

I'm skeptical on Trubinsky, but if the Jets believe in him, then I have to trust them.

I think the Jets will should take the BPA-the player who, theoretically, will have the highest PFF rating.  My guess is that could/should be a Jamal Adams, Reuben Foster, Cam Robinson, Cook.   Don't know how Tim Williams is going to translate-those pass rushers can be hit or miss.

Yes, that is a high pick for a ILB or S, but I think historically guys who are true gamechangers at those positions have been picked that high-ish. Keuchly was 9th. Sean Taylor was 5th.  Notwithstanding the tragedy, I think a team would pick Sean Taylor again 5th.

But at this point, and it is a long way to the draft, I don't see the Jets doing that.   If one of the 3 (or 4) QBs are on the board when the Jets pick, I think they pick one.  This is a huge gamble with a potential franchise altering pick, but I don't know how they don't do that, unless they can sign Tyrod Taylor for 3 years and go with him, Petty and Hack.

The Question of the Day though is the following:  Do you think the Jets would trade up for one of the QBs?  I think it is very possible.

I also think a decent QB prospect could be available for the Jets at the top of the 2nd round.  They could do that.  But then they need to sign a veteran and cut loose one of the two young QBs who look problematic.

7 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If the Jets draft a ILB or S at the 6 spot, Mac needs to go. This team needs blue chip talent at high price positions - OT, CB, QB - if the value isn't there at #6, trade down, accumulate more picks, and grab one later.

Or get more ammo for next year when players might align better to our needs.  This is not a one year rebuild imo

Theres a lot of talent for edge rushers and corners this year in the first two rounds. Two of the 4 most important positions a team needs. (QB, OLB, LT, CB) Best bet if we can, trade down and get an edge rusher and a corner. Now you'd (hopefully) have 3 blue chip players at each line of defense. (Leo on dline, pick at olb, pick at cb)

Trade sheldon for 2nd or more likely a 3rd and draft RB and/or FS.

16 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If the Jets draft a ILB or S at the 6 spot, Mac needs to go. This team needs blue chip talent at high price positions - OT, CB, QB - if the value isn't there at #6, trade down, accumulate more picks, and grab one later.

wouldn'tsay mac needs to go but clearly the jets need to use their highest picks to go after a corner or left tackle.  i suppose if a franchise type qb is there they should take the chance.  the other thing to consider is fraft position.  they may be able to trade down a few places to get their guy depending on how the draft shakes out.  more picks will be welcome.

the jets must draft a q.b. in the first round.If they are lucky the kid from Clemson falls to them.If not the kid from north caolina mitch trubisky is my second choice.left tackle is a must in the second round.my choice is Roderick Johnson has the tools to succeed. The rest of the draft is up in the air.

Archived