Integrity28

The strengths of the 2017 draft: BPA + needs?

39 posts in this topic

With the needs we have in our back 8 this seems like a perfect draft for us if we make the right selections.
We have to get this defense up to "lock down" status if we want to have any chance at a decent year 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

perfect opportunity to try and trade back and acquire more picks

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice if we could use the draft to shore up the secondary and find an edge rusher. That would leave FA to deal with the OL and QB if possible.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KRL said:

With the needs we have in our back 8 this seems like a perfect draft for us if we make the right selections.
We have to get this defense up to "lock down" status if we want to have any chance at a decent year 

I think we should just accept the idea that a "lock down" defense is really an anomaly in today's NFL, given the rules that favor QBs and WRs. 

It'd be great to have a strong defense that doesn't allow much scoring. Lock down is, to me, a pipe dream.

Our focus should be building an offense that can drop 30+ points on anyone, anytime.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If the draft is truly deep at S, RB and TE, then those are positions I attack in R2 and later.

To me, this is the best way to leverage the economics of player valuation in the draft.

Agreed.  Also need to look at other teams possible needs.  Drafting the #1 RB in the 1st when the #2 is sitting there in the second and the #6 CB is on the board...would rather have taken the #1 CB in the first and the #2 RB in the second.  Not saying this exact scenario but try to optimize the value by getting the best players before the rest.  Always want to be at the start of the run on a position, not the last.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Agreed.  Also need to look at other teams possible needs.  Drafting the #1 RB in the 1st when the #2 is sitting there in the second and the #6 CB is on the board...would rather have taken the #1 CB in the first and the #2 RB in the second.  Not saying this exact scenario but try to optimize the value by getting the best players before the rest.  Always want to be at the start of the run on a position, not the last.

The Jets took Pryor. With the next selection the Pack took Clinton-Dix

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Jets can afford to wait a long time on a running back. Powell and Forte will be back next year and the class is deep. More physicality in the backfield would be nice IMO and that can probably be found later on. Cook or Fournette would be cool but a massive luxury pick for a team that has needs everywhere.

Safety is strong but especially at the top. I think the Jets need to hit a home run at 6. If Hooker is the best guy on the board that's the direction I'm leaning right now. An edge rusher would be awesome but it seems like the top guys are better 4-3 fits than 3-4. If a good 3-4 edge fit or a good offensive tackle is available I'd prefer that (or a quarterback obviously) but I'm not thinking that will be the case.

No issue with corners at any point in theory although I'm tired of round 1 corners and would prefer it's later.

A tight end would be nice. Maybe get Jake Butt at a discount after his injury since this is probably a rebuilding year anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am praying the 3 QBs are picked before the Jets pick.  I give it 50/50 odds.

Kizer is from ND-Chicago loves ND..

Trubisky is not a random QB prospect.  He was Mr. Ohio Football.  

Browns need a QB, as does SF and maybe Jax.

I am just not seeing them pass up one of those 3 QBs.  Mac and Bowles will then get fired.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trade back in first.

Trade Sheldon.

Draft Edge rusher, Draft Corner, Draft Safety, Draft RB. All could be had in before the end of the third round. 

The depth of these positions in this draft can all produce starters for us if we pick right. No reaching for LT's and C's until we get BP from the 4 positions I mentioned. There just isn't any really good picks and we need every pick to count in the first 3-4 rounds. Use the rest of the draft for OLine projects.

Making every pick count is something the Jets haven't done in a very long time.  THAT is the key to going from a bottom feeder to a competitive team in a hurry.  The Jets have to fill needs with every pick and not swing and miss at all in the first few rounds. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trade back in first.

Trade Sheldon.

Draft Edge rusher, Draft Corner, Draft Safety, Draft RB. All could be had in before the end of the third round. 

The depth of these positions in this draft can all produce starters for us if we pick right. No reaching for LT's and C's until we get BP from the 4 positions I mentioned. There just isn't any really good picks and we need every pick to count in the first 3-4 rounds. Use the rest of the draft for OLine projects.

I like this in theory.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Making every pick count is something the Jets haven't done in a very long time.  THAT is the key to going from a bottom feeder to a competitive team in a hurry.  The Jets have to fill needs with every pick and not swing and miss at all in the first few rounds. 

Agreed. Though we shouldn't have expectations of a whole draft class having an impact all as rookies. Seems silly to say, but then you read the dumb sh*t on this site...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, varjet said:

I am praying the 3 QBs are picked before the Jets pick.  I give it 50/50 odds.

Kizer is from ND-Chicago loves ND..

Trubisky is not a random QB prospect.  He was Mr. Ohio Football.  

Browns need a QB, as does SF and maybe Jax.

I am just not seeing them pass up one of those 3 QBs.  Mac and Bowles will then get fired.

not sure about cleveland.  kessler had some pretty good games before getting injured.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, derp said:

I think the Jets can afford to wait a long time on a running back. Powell and Forte will be back next year and the class is deep. More physicality in the backfield would be nice IMO and that can probably be found later on. Cook or Fournette would be cool but a massive luxury pick for a team that has needs everywhere.

Safety is strong but especially at the top. I think the Jets need to hit a home run at 6. If Hooker is the best guy on the board that's the direction I'm leaning right now. An edge rusher would be awesome but it seems like the top guys are better 4-3 fits than 3-4. If a good 3-4 edge fit or a good offensive tackle is available I'd prefer that (or a quarterback obviously) but I'm not thinking that will be the case.

No issue with corners at any point in theory although I'm tired of round 1 corners and would prefer it's later.

A tight end would be nice. Maybe get Jake Butt at a discount after his injury since this is probably a rebuilding year anyway.

Joe Mixon in the third?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

A couple of years ago, it was all about the depth of WRs. Last year, if I'm not mistake, it was really deep on the DL with 1st round talent being selected deep into the 2nd round. 

So, in a perfect world our GM would be able to isolate the strengths of the draft, and map them to our needs, which would allow for a BPA approach that also fills needs.

CB and OLB are high-priced players. These are positions I'd consider targeting in R1.

If the draft is truly deep at S, RB and TE, then those are positions I attack in R2 and later.

To me, this is the best way to leverage the economics of player valuation in the draft.

 

Other than the obvious QB situation this team needs game-changers in the worst way.   On offense they need someone with big play ability who can score from anywhere on the field.  On D the Jets desperately need a pass rusher.   

6 is a bit early but I really like Cook.   If there was a way to move down there are several players (TE/OL) who will around late in rd 1 that are really good fits for this team.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The team will be spinning its wheels until they find a QB. If there's a QB with a top 10 of the draft grade sitting at #6, the Jets need to grab him.

Problem is...Jets FO will view it as giving up on hackenberg, the anointed one.

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a starting left tackle is waiting for us at number 6 take him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Other than the obvious QB situation this team needs game-changers in the worst way.   On offense they need someone with big play ability who can score from anywhere on the field.  On D the Jets desperately need a pass rusher.   

6 is a bit early but I really like Cook.   If there was a way to move down there are several players (TE/OL) who will around late in rd 1 that are really good fits for this team.  

I too love Cook...but, if you do not have a QB that threatens or an OL that is stout, Cook (or anyone) would be a waste.

We all want 'playmakers', and I agree Cook is one...but IMO you need to build from the foundation up.  OL is a big need, much more than RB at this point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we haven't drafted D in the first for a while so why not. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2015 draft was lauded for it's depth at RB, producing players like David Johnson, Jay Ajayi and others in later rounds.

This year's draft is being talked about in much the same way. So, theoretically, we should be able to pass on RB at #6 overall and add one later in the draft.

This is a slideshow, sorry: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2642410-an-early-look-at-potentially-historic-rb-class-in-2017-nfl-draft

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 1: kicker

round 2: punter

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets should trade down until they have 15 draft picks and then pick the BPA, regardless of position. This team, more so than most other teams, has zero idea what they're doing come draft day. Using this logic, we should assume that every pick is like playing the lottery and acquire as many tickets as we can and hope for the best.

It's sad, but this is the best strategy when a franchise has proven that they have no clue how to scout.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 2:11 PM, Integrity28 said:

A couple of years ago, it was all about the depth of WRs. Last year, if I'm not mistake, it was really deep on the DL with 1st round talent being selected deep into the 2nd round. 

So, in a perfect world our GM would be able to isolate the strengths of the draft, and map them to our needs, which would allow for a BPA approach that also fills needs.

CB and OLB are high-priced players. These are positions I'd consider targeting in R1.

If the draft is truly deep at S, RB and TE, then those are positions I attack in R2 and later.

To me, this is the best way to leverage the economics of player valuation in the draft.

 

If the Jets touch a S or TE in round 1 I shall make additional comments denouncing our GM. :)  I don't care how good of a prospect the player is.  

Round 1, for a team with the sheer quantity of needs we have:

  • QB (one that won't be a bust; even a 'pretty good' QB is a massive success with the 6th overall pick). Little matters without one.
  • Or CB and OLB (as you say). Hard to win without a good one of each, even with a QB in place.
  • In other drafts I'd include LTbut only because they're so expensive as free agents. I don't know that there is a pure-LT prospect in this draft worthy of our 1st round pick.
  • WR (meh. Kind of defeats the purpose of having so much value and depth if we're going to force them all into backup roles until their rookie contracts are up). Also there's no evidence that a "beast"/"stud" WR1 is required to be a serious SB contender, as great an asset as it is to have one.
  • DE/DT type (for others; I'd say we have more than enough now)

For a team with way fewer, targeted needs I could see rationalizing S, TE, RB, ILB, G if the value is there. That's not us, though.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.