The strengths of the 2017 draft: BPA + needs?

Integrity28

On 1/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, Integrity28 said:

I think we should just accept the idea that a "lock down" defense is really an anomaly in today's NFL, given the rules that favor QBs and WRs. 

It'd be great to have a strong defense that doesn't allow much scoring. Lock down is, to me, a pipe dream.

Our focus should be building an offense that can drop 30+ points on anyone, anytime.

For that reason I think they need to draft Leonard Fournette if he's there at 6.  I'm imagining if he pans out and we pair him with the speed receivers (R. Anderson, D. Smith, who I almost forgot we had, and Enunwa who I think ran a 4.4) that we have it could develop into a serious high powered offense.  Defenses won't be able to stack the box against whatever rookie/young QB we have back there because these speedy receivers will hopefully burn the their secondary.  And if they don't stack the box hopefully this monster of a running back will be gathering chunks of yards per carry like he did in college.

I'm all for a youth movement on offense to pair with the hopefully stud rookie running back.  I would get rid of Marshall and roll with Decker/Enunwa/Anderson/Smith/Marshall and maybe Peake if the new OC chooses to roll with 6 receivers on the roster.  I roll with Shell at RT and pray that he progresses into a serviceable tackle in this league and sign the best LT available in FA.  I'll stick with Johnson at C, who was gradually getting better every game, and keep Carpenter at LG and sign Winters to stay at RG.  Unlike shockingly the majority of the board who aren't fans of ASJ, I actually liked what I saw out of him at TE if he's sober.  He was actually playing his ass off which was refreshing to see while a lot of other players gave up. And for that reason along with the talent I saw I would keep him.

With that growing offense I think that would set us up in 2018 to land one of the stud QB's coming out of that class.  Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen are all potential franchise QB's who I think we could realistically land in 2018 while having the young offense grow together in 2017.  Imagine any one of those QB's with that young offense who have a year together under their belt.  Potentially very scary.  All considering everything pans out.  Which it probably won't...

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If the Jets touch a S or TE in round 1 I shall make additional comments denouncing our GM. :)  I don't care how good of a prospect the player is.  

Round 1, for a team with the sheer quantity of needs we have:

• QB (one that won't be a bust; even a 'pretty good' QB is a massive success with the 6th overall pick). Little matters without one.
  • Or CB and OLB (as you say). Hard to win without a good one of each, even with a QB in place.
  • In other drafts I'd include LTbut only because they're so expensive as free agents. I don't know that there is a pure-LT prospect in this draft worthy of our 1st round pick.
  • WR (meh. Kind of defeats the purpose of having so much value and depth if we're going to force them all into backup roles until their rookie contracts are up). Also there's no evidence that a "beast"/"stud" WR1 is required to be a serious SB contender, as great an asset as it is to have one.
  • DE/DT type (for others; I'd say we have more than enough now)

For a team with way fewer, targeted needs I could see rationalizing S, TE, RB, ILB, G if the value is there. That's not us, though.

The sound of reason. Stop spreading FAKE news!

Round 1: kicker
round 2: punter

Before you even look at these two positions, you need to have a good long snapper up front. When did we last invest a decent draft pick at this position? Are there any long snappers worth it at #6?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The draft lacks a sure fire Patrick Peterson type number 1 cb, but there are several projects that could become dominant number 1s, but there is more risk bc they require technique work.  IMo the draft has about three dominant safeties that are can't miss, and tons of depth at cb and at safety with lots of value in late rnds.  There will be dominant nickel cornerbacks going in round 3-4 for instance.

The value is in the late first and second rounds this year, so I think it makes sense to trade down

Archived