Buffalo hires new coach Mcdermott

faba

The Bills ended their latest head-coaching search Wednesday, agreeing to hire Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott to succeed the fired Rex Ryan.

McDermott, 42, was one of four coaches to interview for the Bills' vacancy, along with interim coach Anthony Lynn, Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin and Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard.

McDermott had interviewed for a second time with Buffalo ownership on Wednesday in Boca Raton, Florida.

iew image on Twitte
. Both Whaley and Ryan reported directly to owner Terry Pegula.

In recent days, sources said McDermott had received encouraging answers to his questions about the team's front-office structure and how it would work day-to-day if he took the job. McDermott is not seeking "control," sources said, as much as he is seeking specifics about who's responsible for what and how they'll all work together.

McDermott's likely defensive coordinator in Buffalo will be Panthers linebackers coach Al Holcomb, a source told ESPN's Schefter.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Gut feeling Anthony Lynn will become our OC.

Man, that would be most "mehhhhhhhhhhhh" hire possible.  McCoy is probably gonna follow McDermott to Buffalo which pisses me off. Give me Norv Turner or give me death (low-key want death).

22 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I don't think that would be a bad thing.  He did a good job with Taylor last year.  I think acquiring Lynn would actually increase the Jets options of getting Taylor..

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Good. Now cut Tyrod and lets go.

Why do you guys want Taylor so bad? He's too young. He'll want money and he'll want the starting job. Personally, I want to go with Petty/Hack/ old vet who doesn't mind sitting ... did we draft these two just to draft them or are we going to actually take a thorough look at them before moving on and grabbing the face of the franchise who is Sam Darnold. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Why do you guys want Taylor so bad? He's too young. He'll want money and he'll want the starting job. Personally, I want to go with Petty/Hack/ old vet who doesn't mind sitting ... did we draft these two just to draft them or are we going to actually take a thorough look at them before moving on and grabbing the face of the franchise who is Sam Darnold. 

I don't want to go with Petty because I have seen him play.

I don't want to go with Hack because they were afraid to let him see us play.

They need a new starting QB. There is no way we are getting the # 1 pick next season.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Man, that would be most "mehhhhhhhhhhhh" hire possible.  McCoy is probably gonna follow McDermott to Buffalo which pisses me off. Give me Norv Turner or give me death (low-key want death).

Norv has sucked for a while, and is insanely overrated yet no one seems to be noticing. Lynn would be an awful hire. Personally, if O'Brien somehow does become free from Houston I would fire Bowles instantly and give OBrien the control and financial incentives needed to come here. 

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Norv has sucked for a while, and is insanely overrated yet no one seems to be noticing. Lynn would be an awful hire. Personally, if O'Brien somehow does become free from Houston I would fire Bowles instantly and give OBrien the control and financial incentives needed to come here. 

norv has been a good oc but i would be concerned about his age.  i'm not entirely sure about what the oc does besides design and decide plays but if they are required to get down to the whole job of coaching the team versus elegating to assistants then maybe the jets need more of a high energy guy.  seems like the oc is always up in a booth somewhere looking down at the action when maybe he should be on the sidelines.  today's players need more hand holding than the ones in times past.

Two things; O'Brien is NOT coming here!  If we do go with Lynn I hope he has a strong QB coach in mind.  It is imperative with our young QBs that we have someone that can teach, preferably someone who played, especially if we draft another youngster.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

They need a new starting QB. There is no way we are getting the # 1 pick next season.

I agree.  Sign Tyrod Taylor, draft Pat Mahomes, and let Hack and Petty fight it out in camp for the third QB spot.

Anthony Lynn wouldn't be a bad hire. Buffalo's offense was not the problem for them this season.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

You've seen Petty play 4 times on a beaten disheartened team, and your done with him?  Wow

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bill O'Brian may still get canned...maybe he get him in here as OC for Hack 

He's not getting fired. If anything, he may leave on his own accord - that's the only buzz that is still lingering. He doesn't care for Rick Smith. I don't blame him.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I agree.  Sign Tyrod Taylor, draft Pat Mahomes, and let Hack and Petty fight it out in camp for the third QB spot.

Anthony Lynn wouldn't be a bad hire. Buffalo's offense was not the problem for them this season.

And it was good last year too, so I'd also throw Greg Roman's name in the ring... but, both are back of the list options IMO.

UPDATE: Roman apparently took a job with the Ravens to fix their running game.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You know...I could see the conversation taking this turn:

McCoy:  "I'm going to follow McDermott anywhere he goes if I don't get a HC position"

[McDermott goes to Buffallo]

McCoy to agent: "Just kidding, so what else is out there?"

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

Two things; O'Brien is NOT coming here!  If we do go with Lynn I hope he has a strong QB coach in mind.  It is imperative with our young QBs that we have someone that can teach, preferably someone who played, especially if we draft another youngster.

O'Brien would have to come here as HC. Otherwise, the idea of him getting fired and taking an OC job with us is as much of a pipe dream as getting a first rounder for Sheldon.

No offense to guys like Norv Turner b/c I do think he'd be a great hire but with where this team is going I'd rather bring in a young up and comer like Lynn.  Stop with the retreads and let's bring in a guy who has potential to grow into a HC if things go south with Bowles.  

8 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

No offense to guys like Norv Turner b/c I do think he'd be a great hire but with where this team is going I'd rather bring in a young up and comer like Lynn.  Stop with the retreads and let's bring in a guy who has potential to grow into a HC if things go south with Bowles.  

I hear what you're saying. But, it seems like all we ever do is hire someone and then HOPE that they become a good head coach. Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm.......

Maybe it's time we get a proven head coach in here, not a developmental one.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is why we can't have nice things . Honestly the only reason to keep Bowles is trying to get the number one pick. We need, we deserve and at all cost we must draft Sam  Darnold. Who cares what it takes to get him? This kid will be the next great one. He could be ours. Anything less is simply nothing more than SOJ. I want this for YOU.  

28 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I hear what you're saying. But, it seems like all we ever do is hire someone and then HOPE that they become a good head coach. Bowles, Rex, Mangini, Herm.......

Maybe it's time we get a proven head coach in here, not a developmental one.

I get that point as well and there's always the fear someone like Lynn is just a flavor of the month assistant like every other coach we've hired in the recent past.  That being said what proven HC is out there?  These proven guys like Gruden, Harbough etc.. aren't coming here without a QB in place.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Disagree. Start Hack all 16 games next year and I'd say there is a reasonable chance we end up either at #1 or very close to it.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

You've seen Petty play 4 times on a beaten disheartened team, and your done with him?  Wow

He played about 74 plays next year and he got hurt 3 or 4 times. He got hurt throwing a touchdown pass in preseason. I made those numbers up and I am not done with him, but I didn't see anything that says hand this guy the starting job next year.

Here is what Petty has earned. The right to compete for a backup spot next year.

They need to set the bar higher.

4 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Disagree. Start Hack all 16 games next year and I'd say there is a reasonable chance we end up either at #1 or very close to it.

I am saying it isn't going to happen. You would need the owner to either fire Bowles (he didn't) or extend him. But there is no way they are going 0 and 16 with that schedule next year, even if they play Bilal Powell at QB.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I am saying it isn't going to happen. You would need the owner to either fire Bowles (he didn't) or extend him. But there is no way they are going 0 and 16 with that schedule next year, even if they play Bilal Powell at QB.

Playing Bilal Powell  at quarterback, may actually give them a better chance to WIN some games. ?

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

4-11 here we come!

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't think we have to go 0-16 to end up with a top 3 pick though. The wildcards will be if Cleveland and San Fran pick up QB's this year. Our schedule next year may end up being harder than what we played this year. The only winnable games I see (again assuming Hack is QB) is splitting the series vs the Fins and the Bills and CLE. Maybe San Diego since we tend to play them tough. JAX does have talent on O and I can see Marrone and Coughlin turning that team around, OAK (assuming Carr is healthy) has killed us recently, I don't think we beat ATL, TB or CAR and we all remember what happened this year with KC. 

You are talking about 5 "winnable" games, who knows how many actually turn into W's. We won 5 games this year but 4 of them came from Fitz who won't be here next year. 

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I don't think we have to go 0-16 to end up with a top 3 pick though. The wildcards will be if Cleveland and San Fran pick up QB's this year. Our schedule next year may end up being harder than what we played this year. The only winnable games I see (again assuming Hack is QB) is splitting the series vs the Fins and the Bills and CLE. Maybe San Diego since we tend to play them tough. JAX does have talent on O and I can see Marrone and Coughlin turning that team around, OAK (assuming Carr is healthy) has killed us recently, I don't think we beat ATL, TB or CAR and we all remember what happened this year with KC. 

You are talking about 5 "winnable" games, who knows how many actually turn into W's. We won 5 games this year but 4 of them came from Fitz who won't be here next year. 

The thought was getting the top pick to get the QB from USC.

Getting a top 3 pick doesn't get you him.

If the Jets get Tyrod Taylor, they will win 10 games, maybe more, next season.

Archived